{stuccosalt} Very quick silliness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » {stuccosalt} Very quick silliness « Previous Next »

(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ebenezer despised the holidays and all forms of charity; his only passion was for making a profit. For this reason, he admired Santa.
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ebenezer = Scrooge? Santa = Claus, Kris Kringle, the big fat man that says 'ho ho ho' and lives in Lapland? Relevant that 'santa' is an anagram of 'satan'? Have we got to work out how it could possibly be seen that Santa's only passion is making a profit?

Has this got anything to do with: the making of the presents to send around the world? the world travel? the fact that he has an excuse to see great sights in one night? the mince pies and sherry left out? the use of a stocking? the fact that he is never seen? his entrance into people's houses? the countless christmas films made about him? the royalties that are surely well overdue from said films?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ed Mason (Logician):

Ebenezer = Scrooge? Not really - just chose the name b/c it fits the character + theme. Kind of that type of guy though.
Santa = Claus, Kris Kringle, the big fat man that says 'ho ho ho' and lives in Lapland? Yes
Relevant that 'santa' is an anagram of 'satan'? Nope
Have we got to work out how it could possibly be seen that Santa's only passion is making a profit? More along the lines of why someone who is only interested in running a profitable business (and who doesn't like the holidays or charity) would admire Santa.

Has this got anything to do with: the making of the presents to send around the world? Yes... explore (bearing in mind this is very silly).
the world travel? the fact that he has an excuse to see great sights in one night? the mince pies and sherry left out? the use of a stocking? the fact that he is never seen? his entrance into people's houses? the countless christmas films made about him? the royalties that are surely well overdue from said films? Not these, though I do like the idea of Santa cashing in on some endorsement bling.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Labo(u)r relevant?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or transport?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo):

Labo(u)r relevant? Indeed.

Or transport? Not so much.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...wonder what an elf pulls down these days...and what kind of benefits they have...

So Ebenezer admires Santa's use of elven labor because they're less expensive than humans? Because they don't have a union (outside of Bloom County™®©, anyhow)? Because they don't require medical insurance?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

God helps those who're helped by them elves?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo):
Hmmm...wonder what an elf pulls down these days...and what kind of benefits they have...

So Ebenezer admires Santa's use of elven labor because they're less expensive than humans? This is on the right path.
Because they don't have a union (outside of Bloom County™®©, anyhow)? Because they don't require medical insurance? This line of thought is right - so employing elves allows Santa to do what (in the proper business-speak)..?

By David Burn (Woubit):

God helps those who're helped by them elves?
as long as you're loyal to your employees- like the bard says, This above all: to thine own elf be true.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eh, the only business-speak I know is stuff like BCWS, BCWP, ACWP, EAC/LRE, BAC, ETC etc.

Maximize profits/minimize expenses?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo):

Eh, the only business-speak I know is stuff like BCWS, BCWP, ACWP, EAC/LRE, BAC, ETC etc. You'll know this, it's very common

Maximize profits/minimize expenses? Yes - because elven employees allow Santa to...

This is the sort of puzzle that makes me very grateful that the wonder of the Internet allows me to pose it while remaining safely out of striking distance.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This I shall do because I am a conscientious man: when I throw rocks at sea birds I leave no tern unstoned.
I am a meticulous man, and when I portray baboons I leave no stern untoned.
I am a man who values the fitness of things above notoriety and pelf,
Which is why I am happy I heard the Cockney postmaster say to a doctor who was returning a leprechaun to Gloccamorra in an open envelope, "Physician, seal thy h'elf."

Ogeden Nash

Is the idea that Santa can pay elves the minimum wage?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit):
Is the idea that Santa can pay elves the minimum wage? Close, but not quite. Santa's choice to employ the elves as cheap labor is the reason Ebenezer admires him, and there is a pun at play.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feared me that would be the case, I did indeed...and don't forget, in the holiday season you never know who might be hanging around Cleveland...

So is the pun on a cliche or homily of some kind? Or more of a standard business phrase? And is the word "elf" or "elven" involved in the pun?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo):

So is the pun on a cliche or homily of some kind? Or more of a standard business phrase? This one, also used in the news and other places.
And is the word "elf" or "elven" involved in the pun? Neither
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with "short"?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit):

Anything to do with "short"? Not the word itself, but the elves' heights are relevant.
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

child labor?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Drew Sollenberger (Sollen):

child labor? Nope
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So something to do with the elves' size...lower wages? Smaller? Work for peanuts/cookies/candy canes?

A word indicating diminutive is involved?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo):

So something to do with the elves' size...lower wages? Smaller? Work for peanuts/cookies/candy canes? Not one of these...It's a two-word term we're looking for, which is a common term used to refer to something many businesses strive for. It isn't meant to refer to small employees, but in this case...

A word indicating diminutive is involved? see above..
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lean Production?
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an idiom?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Jens Weber (Sundowner):

Lean Production? No, but definitely OTRT

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa):

Is it an idiom? Depends what you mean - it is a well-known expression, here with a double-meaning..

perhaps a few lateral questions here would zero us in...
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "down-sizing" relevant?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp):

Is "down-sizing" relevant? no, but these are all soo close..
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the only important/relevant thing about the elves that they are short? would midgets or pygmees fit just as well in this "story"?

"Shrinking" relevant?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the only important/relevant thing about the elves that they are short? Yes
would midgets or pygmees fit just as well in this "story"? Sure

"Shrinking" relevant? No...the main thing from Ebeneezer's perspective is that the elves allow to Santa to increase profit margins
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are so many expressions on that theme that I can't come up with anyone... :)

"Short-changing" relevant?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are so many expressions on that theme that I can't come up with anyone...

i know, i hadn't realized it until this puzzle lasted for more than a day or two..

"Short-changing" relevant? No - if it helps, the words "Short" "small" "little" "tiny" are not in the expression, nor any direct synonyms of these words. The shortness of the elves is more inferred.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheap labour?
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These questions are about the expression:

Does it begin with the letter {ltpf list of six commonest letters in English words}? Does it begin with a letter A-G? H-M? N-R? S-Z? Q? J? A number? Symbol? Are either of the words hyphenated? Are any of the following words in it...
Capital/Capitalism?
Index?
Information?
Seven?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean):

Cheap labour? This contributes to the 'literal' meaning of the expression, in this case.

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa):

These questions are about the expression:

Does it begin with the letter {ltpf list of six commonest letters in English words}? Yes
Does it begin with a letter A-G? H-M? N-R? S-Z? Q? J? A number? Symbol? Are either of the words hyphenated? Are any of the following words in it...

Capital/Capitalism?
Index?
Information?
Seven? Not these words, and rather than draw this out, I'll just post the ...
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ebenezer despised the holidays and all forms of charity; his only passion was for making a profit. For this reason, he admired Santa.

Ebenezer admired the way Santa ran his business... employing only elves allowed him to have very low overhead (ba dum bum).
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

^Spoiler

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: