[woubit] Don't write naughty words on... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2005 » [woubit] Don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 02, 2005Lynne22 1-02-05  11:40 pm
Archive through January 03, 2005Shawn Franchi22 1-03-05  12:40 am
Archive through January 03, 2005David Burn22 1-03-05  1:32 am
Archive through January 03, 2005Shawn Franchi22 1-03-05  3:22 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:22 am:

Was the document that "said" that they were prepared a policy document? not at all. It was a set of detailed guidelines for residents of the borough about what to do in a certain set of circumstances. Good question :)
Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the guuidelines say something about conception by a virgin?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:35 am:

Did the guuidelines say something about conception by a virgin? they strongly implied that this might have take place, yes
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do we know about this puzzle so far? What do we have to figure out?
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"they strongly implied that this might have take place, yes" <--That doesn't make sense

I'm going to have to restart my computer, so you might not hear from me for a while...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:53 am:

What do we know about this puzzle so far? What do we have to figure out?

I will treat this as a request for a

***** RECAP *****

The London Borough of Camden has published a set of guidelines, issued to residents in Camden. These guidelines are in themselves entirely sensible, and tell the burghers of Camden what to do in a pretty ordinary set of circumstances.

However, a plausible reading of these words (and not a particularly silly one, at that) might lead one to conclude - especially at this time of year - that the Borough Council had made special provision for the Second Coming of Christ.

At least, they have done so given that, if Jesus comes to Earth again, He will do so by being born of a Virgin, after the fashion of the already-familiar story of the Nativity. I am aware, as I hope my replies to Lynne have made clear, that this is not in fact how the Second Coming is envisaged by Christians.

What, then, did the Mayor and Corporation say to the citizens of Camden that, at least in principle, allowed for the possibility that a Virgin might conceive and bear a child?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:04 am:

"they strongly implied that this might have take place, yes" <--That doesn't make sense yes, it does. Or to further illustrate the point: it does, yes

I'm going to have to restart my computer, so you might not hear from me for a while... I will bear the loss as best I may.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh look, I'm back again!
Did it say, "A virgin might conceive and bear a child"?
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"they strongly implied that this might have take place, yes"
Here in the US, when we use the word "might" as the past tense of may, we use the inflected form of a verb. "They strongly implied that this might have taken place." Also, when we use the word "take" as the "future" tense of take, we use the word "may". "They strongly implied that this may take place."
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:19 am:

Oh look, I'm back again! Let joy be unconfined :)

Did it say, "A virgin might conceive and bear a child"? a guideline published by the London Borough of Camden? No.

By Shawn Franchi (Doctapeppa) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:25 am:

"they strongly implied that this might have take place, yes"
Here in the US, when we use the word "might" as the past tense of may, we use the inflected form of a verb. "They strongly implied that this might have taken place." Also, when we use the word "take" as the "future" tense of take, we use the word "may". "They strongly implied that this may take place."

My fault for typing badly, and reading badly what I had mis-typed. Sorry :(
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the guidelines involve some common activity or chore undertaken by residents of Camden? Something like garbage collection, sending children to school, etc.?
Are the 'circumstances' for which these guidelines are relevant common enough to apply to a large proportion of the residents? All of them?
Is there a clause for children who have "no father" or some similar idea?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By (Stuccosalt) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 01:50 pm:

Do the guidelines involve some common activity or chore undertaken by residents of Camden? Something like garbage collection, sending children to school, etc.? nothing like this
Are the 'circumstances' for which these guidelines are relevant common enough to apply to a large proportion of the residents? no All of them?
Is there a clause for children who have "no father" or some similar idea? some very similar idea, yes :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they attempting to refer to unwed mothers in a particularly sensitive manner?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:24 pm:

Were they attempting to refer to unwed mothers in a particularly sensitive manner? no - the Borough of Camden is not renowned for sensitivity, or sense
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I try not to point out other folk's typos or spleling erorrs, even though I never make any myslef...and "might take" seems as reasonable as "may take" to me--I just assumed the "n" fell off somewhere (you might look under your chair for it, the floor under mine is littered with 'em).

The statement has to do with unwed mothers? Their children? With children given up for adoption?

Do these guidelines indicate how to fill out some particular form (e. g. a birth certificate) for a child who's father isn't known/identified?
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the word 'fatherless' used to refer to children in any way?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:43 pm:

The statement has to do with unwed mothers? yesish Their children? no With children given up for adoption? no

Do these guidelines indicate how to fill out some particular form yes, indeed (e. g. a birth certificate) for a child who's father isn't known/identified? this is very much on the right lines

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:30 pm:

is the word 'fatherless' used to refer to children in any way? no, but...
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"When filling out form D-116b, section 7 under Father's Name enter 'NA' when the child has no known father..." (or perhaps more in the form of a list identifying the appropriate values to enter into the various parts of the form)--that kind of thing?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 07:50 pm:

"When filling out form D-116b, section 7 under Father's Name enter 'NA' when the child has no known father..." (or perhaps more in the form of a list identifying the appropriate values to enter into the various parts of the form)--that kind of thing? that will do :)

***** SPOILER *****

The London Borough of Camden has issued a set of guidelines for the completion of a form to register the birth of a child. "Supply", new mothers are instructed, "the child's name, your name, and the name of the father (where applicable)."

Clearly, if the next Virgin Birth occurs in Camden, the Mother of God isn't going to have any difficulty completing the paperwork. One thing, however, suggests that this will not occur. Camden does not contain three wise men.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"One thing, however, suggests that this will not occur. Camden does not contain three wise men."

That shouldn't be an obstacle. We could expect these "wise men" to appear from the East, say from Woolich or Greenwich and of course following a star, such as Barbara Windsor, perhaps!
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be Wroclaw, that's East of Camden...
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

------------------------------------------------
EARLIER, I POSTED THIS MESSAGE:
"Does it have anything to do with the sun dying?"
------------------------------------------------
I think that was quite close. Except, it has something to do with the Son being born. Just a simple mistake on my part.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: