[stuccosalt] Workin' Overtime... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2005 » [stuccosalt] Workin' Overtime « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 14, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 4-14-05  9:42 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Sam, then, only buy one, leaving Joe to throw away the others?

Sam = Male? Adult? Human?

Clothes, to cover: Feet? Lower legs? Upper legs? Legs in general? Under-wear regions? Stomach? Chest? Shoulders? Arms? Wrists? Hands? Neck? Face? Hear? Head?
Clothes: Protective? Phisically? Thermally?
Fashionable? Unique?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were they bought by triplets ?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the other two back up versions ?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab):

Yope on "Bought by the same person", hmm? Were they not bought by a single person? was it a company? a group of people? I should've clarified: It is for one person's use, but I imagine it should be said to be bought by a group.

Did Joe know who would be wearing the garment at the time that he made them? Yope - he had an idea, yes, but specifically, no.

Did Joe know which garment would be used when he was making them? No.

Were the three garments ordered in different sizes to keep Joe from knowing who would actually wear one? To maintain secrecy? YES, at a certain point at least - when he begins I think the wearer is unknown to all.

The design: is it a special-purpose garment? You could say so.
a wedding dress? a costume for a TV show, movie or play? But not these.

By Ian (Image):

Did Sam, then, only buy one, leaving Joe to throw away the others? Joe delivered all of the garments to his customer(s). (Sorry about the vague answer).

Sam = Male? Adult? Human? Yes to all.

Clothes, to cover: Feet? Lower legs? Upper legs? Legs in general? Under-wear regions? Stomach? Chest? Shoulders? Arms? Wrists? Hands? Neck? Face? Hear? Head? More or less the whole body.
Clothes: Protective? Phisically? Thermally?
Fashionable? Unique? The last - these particular garments haven't exactly made the high fashion runway just yet, though I could see a day...

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie):

were they bought by triplets ? No, but interesting idea.

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie):

were the other two back up versions ? You mean, in case something happened to the used garment? No.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These clothes...
Are they to be worn indoors? Outdoors?
Are they meant to keep identity secret? To protect Sam from something? To protect other people from Sam? For entertainment? For advertising?
Was it a costume? One piece? Two piece? Three? Four? More? Did it include a cape and a fancy logo?
Are they made of fabric? Wool? Polyethelene? Nylon? Denim? Rubber? Leather? Organic products/stuff? Synthesized stuff?

A group bought them...
The government? A terrorist organization? A club? A municipality? A charity? A circus? A family? Other?

Is this a true story? Could it be true?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image):

These clothes...
Are they to be worn indoors? Outdoors? Mostly indoors, but they are worn outdoors.
Are they meant to keep identity secret? To protect Sam from something? To protect other people from Sam? For entertainment? For advertising? None of these.
Was it a costume? One piece? Two piece? Three? Four? More? Did it include a cape and a fancy logo? I'm afraid I don't really know the specifics... you could call it a costume, but I don't think that would really be accurate. There are a couple pieces involved, at least.
Are they made of fabric? Wool? Polyethelene? Nylon? Denim? Rubber? Leather? Organic products/stuff? Synthesized stuff? Fabric mostly, if not entirely.

A group bought them...
The government? A terrorist organization? A club? A municipality? A charity? A circus? A family? Other? Other.

Is this a true story? Could it be true? Yes, it is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Amol D. (Amol)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the ultimate user want to keep his/her size a secret ?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Amol D. (Amol):

Did the ultimate user want to keep his/her size a secret ? Nope
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of pieces at least in the garment; did it include a:
shirt?
sweater?
jacket?
pants?
skirt?
dress?
vest?
hood?
cape?
tights?
overalls?
jumpsuit?
gloves?
mask?
hat?
scarf?
coat?
tie?

Would someone looking at the garment on the hanger know whether it was made for a man or a woman by what the pieces were? (e.g. a skirt is most likely for a woman; a tie would probably be for a man; a coverall could be for either.) Did Joe know the gender of the wearer when he got the job?

Was the wearer male? female?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of pieces at least in the garment; did it include a:
shirt? This is part (sorta)...
sweater?
jacket?
pants?
skirt?
dress? Something yopishly like this
vest? possibly one of these, I'm not certain
hood?
cape?
tights?
overalls?
jumpsuit?
gloves?
mask?
hat?
scarf? Something like this may be involved
coat?
tie?

Sorry for the iffy answers, I'm not really an expert in these garments..

Would someone looking at the garment on the hanger know whether it was made for a man or a woman by what the pieces were? I'd think so, but possibly not.
(e.g. a skirt is most likely for a woman; a tie would probably be for a man; a coverall could be for either.) Did Joe know the gender of the wearer when he got the job? Yes

Was the wearer male? female? Male

Good questions! Wish I had better answers...
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I had better answers... Don't sweat it, I just went off on a tear because I'm a costumer, among other things...

Is the garment some type of ethnic outfit? Arabic perhaps--a robe, a tunic, a vest-y thing, and maybe a headveil?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the garment some type of ethnic outfit? In a way...
Arabic perhaps--a robe, a tunic, a vest-y thing, and maybe a headveil? A robe is the main article, though it isn't Arabic.
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Complete left turn here... the wild hare went thataway------>

I'm assuming that the group who ordered the garments also gave Joe the dimensions he needed to make them to when they placed the order. True?

If so, did the people who ordered the garments know which one would be used at the time that they placed the order? did they know that it would be one of three specific people who would wear the garment? Or did they give him sizes that would each fit any one of several people?
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait a second-- a very old memory is resurfacing... I may have this one. But to check:

Will Joe later be expected to make more, similar garments exactly to Sam's measure?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the person who eventualy wears these things :-

dead ?
seriously ill ?
religuous ? (e.g vicar)

are these common items of clothing ? (or something bizarre - straitjackets ????
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming that the group who ordered the garments also gave Joe the dimensions he needed to make them to when they placed the order. True? Yes - for two of them, at least.

If so, did the people who ordered the garments know which one would be used at the time that they placed the order? No.
did they know that it would be one of three specific people who would wear the garment? No...
Or did they give him sizes that would each fit any one of several people? Yes, if I understand the question. The sizes provided a range that could accommodate any one of a number of certain people.

Wait a second-- a very old memory is resurfacing... I may have this one. But to check:

Will Joe later be expected to make more, similar garments exactly to Sam's measure? I'd think so, but I don't know for certain.

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie):

is the person who eventualy wears these things :-
dead ? No
seriously ill ? No
religuous ? (e.g vicar) Yes.

are these common items of clothing ? (or something bizarre - straitjackets ???? They're not common articles of clothing. Not straitjackets, either.
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've got it--e-mail sent
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A long shot in the dark:

are these robes for the new Pope?
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've got it--e-mail sent Replied - you got it! Nice work.

By Alizon (Alizon):

A long shot in the dark:

are these robes for the new Pope? Yes they are! $poiler to follow...
(Stuccosalt)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

* * * * **** SPOILER **** * * * *

Joe did his work in triplicate, though he knew that two of the three things he produced would be discarded without being used.

'Joe' is Filippo Gammarelli, the tailor assigned to make the vestments for the new pope. As they need to be ready for the pope's public introduction, three sets are made - one tailored to the largest cardinal's measurements, one tailored to the smallest, and one in-between (obviously, Gamarelli cannot know the new pope's identity in advance!)

Nice work everyone, and kudos to Rabrab and Alizon for taking it home!
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, his work might not be entirely in vain. They might elect the largest cardinal, who might then go on a diet.
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Saturday attempt was really a long shot in the dark... however, this morning I opened a newspaper and saw a picture of the three robes in a sort of a shopping window - and immediately thought that I was probably right ;o))

Thanks for the puzzle, Stuccosalt!
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't beleive I said Vicar and then didnt think about the Pope (especially as my puzzle Trapped is also about the Pope !!!).

Excellent puzzle btw

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: