{Eliot} What's That Smell Part 3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » {Eliot} What's That Smell Part 3 « Previous Next »

Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Watch me shamelessly steal iMage's puzzle title!
In the middle of the night I heard a car start, but fell asleep again. When I woke, a terrible smell permeated the house. I didn't know what it was until I saw the orange light.
Birgitta Ericsson (Brid)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this something from your own experience?
Was it life-threatening?
Was it something that happens to most people once or more?
Was it morning when you woke? or still night?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the orange light you would see every day ?
did you really hear the car start or were you dreaming ?
was it a common smell ?
was the smell :-

a burning smell ?
food related
from an animal ? a domestic pet
a chemical type accident ?
petrol ?
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the smell related to the car you heard? a non-human animal?
Was the orange light inside your room? your house? outside? the sun? a streetlamp?
Did the orange light highlight the cause of the smell?
Is the car at all relevant?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the car you heard in fact a garbage truck? Is it relevant what kind of vehicle it was?

Was the light...
just a light? or connected to something else?
a warning? a status indicator? a signal?
is it important that it was orange? was it a traffic light?
was the thing making the light electric? was it smaller than a computer mouse? smaller than the average microwave oven? smaller than the average person? smarter than the average bear? smaller than a car? smaller than an 18 wheel truck? smaller than China? smaller than the planet Earth?
was it heavy? would it way approximately 1 pound? 2 pounds? 3 pounds? 4 pounds? ....... 999999 tonnes?

Heh... it wasn't even my puzzle title to begin with. I took it from someone else! :P
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Birgitta Ericsson (Brid) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:

Is this something from your own experience? Vaguely.
Was it life-threatening? No.
Was it something that happens to most people once or more? Not that I know of.
Was it morning when you woke? or still night? Let's say early morning.

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:50 am:

was the orange light you would see every day ? Yes.
did you really hear the car start or were you dreaming ? Really.
was it a common smell ? No.
was the smell :-

a burning smell ? Yesish.
food related Yes.
from an animal ? a domestic pet
a chemical type accident ?
petrol ?

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:31 pm:

Was the smell related to the car you heard? Indirectly. a non-human animal? No.
Was the orange light inside your room? No.your house? Yes. outside? No.the sun?No. a streetlamp? No.
Did the orange light highlight the cause of the smell? Yes.
Is the car at all relevant? See above.

By Ian (Image) on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 04:33 pm:

Is the car you heard in fact a garbage truck? No.Is it relevant what kind of vehicle it was?Noish.

Was the light...
just a light? or connected to something else? Closer to this.
a warning? a status indicator? mainly this.a signal?
is it important that it was orange? No.was it a traffic light? No.
was the thing making the light electric? Yes.was it smaller than a computer mouse? No.smaller than the average microwave oven? I'd say so.smaller than the average person? Yes to rest.smarter than the average bear? smaller than a car? smaller than an 18 wheel truck? smaller than China? smaller than the planet Earth?
was it heavy? would it way approximately 1 pound? 2 pounds? 3 pounds? 4 pounds? Thisish, or less........ 999999 tonnes?

Heh... it wasn't even my puzzle title to begin with. I took it from someone else! :P Ah, it all balances.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the orange light connected to something that would normally remove the smell? Something that was causing the smell indirectly? directly? If the orange light weren't on, would the smell still be there? Would it be there at other times as well? If the thing with the orange light wasn't there, would the smell still be there? Would it be there at other times as well? An air filter?

Was the light directly attached to the thing? Was the light showing that the thing wasn't working? That it was? That something had gone wrong? That it detected something? Other?

The smell... Was it from fresh food? Old food? Stale food? rotting food? burnt food? poisoned food? sewage? spoiled food? compost? garbage? Was it coming from the thing with the light? From the car?
What kind of food did it smell like?
Fruit?
Meat?
Alternatives?
Starch/Carbs?
Vegetables?
Dairy?
Is it relevant what kind of food?
Apple?
Zucchini?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:13 am:

Was the orange light connected to something that would normally remove the smell? No.Something that was causing the smell indirectly? Yes. directly? Not really. If the orange light weren't on, would the smell still be there? Probably not.Would it be there at other times as well? no. If the thing with the orange light wasn't there, would the smell still be there? no. Would it be there at other times as well? No. An air filter? Nope.

Was the light directly attached to the thing? Yes. Was the light showing that the thing wasn't working? No. That it was? Yes.That something had gone wrong? no to rest. That it detected something? Other?

The smell... Was it from fresh food? Yope..Old food? Stale food? rotting food? burnt food? yesish... poisoned food? sewage? spoiled food? compost? garbage? Was it coming from the thing with the light? Yes. From the car? No.
What kind of food did it smell like?
Fruit?
Meat?
Alternatives?
Starch/Carbs?
Vegetables? Not really, but it comes from a plant.
Dairy?
Is it relevant what kind of food? Yes, and let's call it a foodstuff.
Apple?
Zucchini?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legumes? Seeds? Nuts? Leaves? Berries? Stalks?
Peanuts? Seasame seeds? Almonds? Cashews? Poppy seeds? Grain? Wheat? Oats? Parcely? Celery? Fiddleheads?

Was it the smell of cooked/cooking food? Was the orange light thing a processor? An oven? A stove? A toaster? A blender? A juicer? Some kitchen appliance? A smoke detector? A bread maker?

Is your job relevant? Where you were sleeping?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the light from the fridge ?
or the oven ?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 08:13 pm:

Legumes? I...think so... Seeds? Nuts? Leaves? Berries? Stalks?
Peanuts? Seasame seeds? Almonds? Cashews? Poppy seeds? Grain? Wheat? Oats? Parcely? Celery? Fiddleheads? None of these.

Was it the smell of cooked/cooking food? Yesish. Was the orange light thing a processor? Of sorts. An oven? A stove? A toaster? A blender? A juicer? Some kitchen appliance?This. A smoke detector? A bread maker? No to rest.

Is your job relevant?No. Where you were sleeping? Nope. Well, at home.

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:54 pm:

was the light from the fridge ? Nope.
or the oven ? No.
Sam Greene (Pandora)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the light on a kettle? a sandwich toaster? a breadmaker? a slow cooker? was someone makeing a casserole?
The foodstuff = all one thing? a mixture of things? herbs? spices? pulses? fungi?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sam Greene (Pandora) on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:43 pm:

Was the light on a kettle? a sandwich toaster? a breadmaker? a slow cooker? was someone makeing a casserole? None of these.
The foodstuff = all one thing? kinda this. a mixture of things?And kinda this. herbs? spices? pulses? fungi? None of these.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

potatoes?
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did any of these cause the light to

immersion heater ?
central heating indicator ?
hot water indicator ?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image) on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

potatoes? No.

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:00 pm:

did any of these cause the light to

immersion heater ?
central heating indicator ?
hot water indicator ? None of the above.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the foodstuff inside the appliance? was it being heated? had it previously been heated? by the appliance? was it burnt? had the appliance been on since the car started? longer? shorter? was it a microwave oven?
Brian Hobbs (Paradox)
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the car still running when you woke up the second time?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 07:22 pm:

Was the foodstuff inside the appliance? Yes.was it being heated? Yes. had it previously been heated? Yes.by the appliance? Yes.was it burnt? Yes, but not sure if burnt is the word. had the appliance been on since the car started? No. longer? Yes.shorter? was it a microwave oven? Nope.

By Brian Hobbs (Paradox) on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 08:44 pm:

Was the car still running when you woke up the second time? No.
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the appliance something that is normally used for heating something? or had it just overheated from being left on for too long?
Was the appliance switched on by a person? who then went outside and started the car? and drove away?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 03:12 pm:

Was the appliance something that is normally used for heating something? In part.or had it just overheated from being left on for too long? No.
Was the appliance switched on by a person? Yes.who then went outside and started the car?Yes. and drove away? Yes. Very good.
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they intentionally leave the appliance switched on? did they mean to return later and switch it off?
Did they need to switch the appliance on in order to be able to start the car? or did they switch the appliance on for some other reason, and then discover that they needed to go somewhere in the car? to get something?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 04:19 pm:

Did they intentionally leave the appliance switched on? No. did they mean to return later and switch it off? no.
Did they need to switch the appliance on in order to be able to start the car? Nope. or did they switch the appliance on for some other reason, and then discover that they needed to go somewhere in the car? to get something? none of the rest.
Pretty much all you need to find is what the appliance and the burning thing were.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they accidently switch on the appliance?
Did the appliance have a timer that failed?

Hmmm. OK, check your e-mail, please, Eliot.
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 07:26 pm:

Did they accidently switch on the appliance? no.
Did the appliance have a timer that failed? no.

Hmmm. OK, check your e-mail, please, Eliot. It's not letting me in, sorry. But if you feel you're about to $poi1 it, go ahead. I'm tired of this one ;)
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, but it could be. As long as you say it's ok...

Did the coffeemaker cook dry between the time someone started it and the time you got up? So the smell was burnt coffee?
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.
**********SPOILER
The smell was extremely burnt coffee, which I have never had occasion to smell before but I don't recommend it. Having to wake up unusually early, this individual made coffee in a coffeemaker and left some in for whoever else might need some. However they neglected to turn it off, so that by the time everyone got up at a less ungodly hour, the smell had permeated the house.
Good work RabRab, Wunderland, and everybody. Glad that's done with.
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, gah. Burnt coffee is one of the foul-est smells in the world. One job I worked the morning shift at, the guys who worked the evening shift routinely forgot to unplug the percolator before they left for the night. Several times a week, I would show up (first one at the office) and be greeted with the stench, and the need to scour it out before I could make a fresh pot of coffee. Just what I needed at 5:00 am. It got to the point that I just emptied the pot, cleaned it, and left the parts on the sink before I left at 3:30, and if they wanted coffee after that they could just whistle for it.
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bleh. My list of the worst smells in the world;
1 Dead Ants
2 That Bathroom at the Very Back of the Bus
3 Burnt Coffee
4 Cigarettes
etc.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: