[Haenlomal] Tentanda via Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2005 » [Haenlomal] Tentanda via « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one shouldn't last that long...a placeholder of sorts while my running-on-empty brain thinks of better puzzles....

Title: Tentanda via

Difficulty: Easy

Type: True Story

Story:
Every day I drive to work, I have to use a particular highway. The police love to set speed traps on this highway -- probably because the highway has a reputation for people driving well past the speed limit.

Needless to say, every driver (me included) usually slow down whenever we see a police cruiser parked off to the side. However, there are occasions where I actually accelerate when I see the speed trap in order to avoid it. Why?

To Solve:
Why would I speed up to avoid a police speed trap?

Specialized Knowledge needed:
None needed

Good luck!
Eliot (Eliot)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does everyone driving accelerate? Are the other drivers relevant? The shape of the road? A particular police officer?
When you go faster, is your speed detected by the radar?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does everyone driving accelerate? No...in fact, there in all liklihood are drivers slowing down the same time I'm accelerating. Are the other drivers relevant? Yes The shape of the road? Yes'ish A particular police officer? No
When you go faster, is your speed detected by the radar? FA -- I'm not detected by the radar. If I was detected, then the entire goal of avoiding the speed trap would have been defeated. But it's a given within the context of this puzzle that I was successful.
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you speed up when you see the speed trapper in the process of giving someone else a ticket? So that you can get past the speed trap before the speed trapper starts looking to trap someone else?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you speed up when you see the speed trapper in the process of giving someone else a ticket? No -- because this is a highway, and there are so many speeders for them to catch, the police don't actually pull people over right away. Instead, they have quite a few cruisers on stand-by (usually around 5, though I've seen as many as 12 cruisers!). When they catch a speeder on the gun, one of the cruisers will peel out behind the speeder, activate the light, and pull them over a bit further down the highway.

The upshot of all this is that they always have someone manning the speed gun, so chances are good that you'll get ticketed unless all 5 or whatever cruisers are occupied.

So that you can get past the speed trap before the speed trapper starts looking to trap someone else? So no to this as well.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you speed up in order to get near to another car, so that you can challenge the accuracy of the radar gun?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wild guess time!

Do they also ticket for driving below the minimum speed, and sometimes you're just poking along, enjoying the drive? So you speed up to just above the minimum?
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good lateral thinking, Rabrab :)
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what sort of radar device they're using? (handheld, mounted but moveable, fixed, automatic/unmanned)
Relevant in which lane you're driving?
Anything about your car relevant?
Is the idea that they won't detect you at all on the radar? that they might detect you, but can't establish your speed? that they won't pull you over, even if they detect you? that they can't prove for sure that you were too fast?

Here in Germany some of the older automatic radar posts can be tricked either by speeding up or kicking the brake suddenly -- because for legal reasons they have to take two measurements shortly after each other (about one yard distance), and if the difference between them is too large both have to be discarded for possible measurement error. Anything like this?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mosquito

Do you speed up in order to get near to another car, so that you can challenge the accuracy of the radar gun? No -- As I explained above, what would most likely happen if I tried to employ such a strategy is that both myself and the car I was near would be pulled over and ticketed for speeding, thanks to the (quite frankly, ludicrous) amount of resources they have committed to the speed trap. Having said that, though, this idea is not far away from the right forest...

Rabrab

wild guess time!

Do they also ticket for driving below the minimum speed, and sometimes you're just poking along, enjoying the drive? So you speed up to just above the minimum? Very good thinking, but unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Jun

Good lateral thinking, Rabrab :) I totally agree. :)

Sundowner

Relevant what sort of radar device they're using? (handheld, mounted but moveable, fixed, automatic/unmanned) Yope -- and I've seen handheld, mounted but moveable, and fixed before, and my strategy works for all of them. However, I've yet to see automatic/unmanned. I don't know if my strategy would work in this case, but I suspect that if it works at all, it would be with reduced effectiveness.
Relevant in which lane you're driving? YES -- good question.
Anything about your car relevant? Well, yes, but this has a potential to mislead....
Is the idea that they won't detect you at all on the radar? this one that they might detect you, but can't establish your speed? that they won't pull you over, even if they detect you? that they can't prove for sure that you were too fast?

Here in Germany some of the older automatic radar posts can be tricked either by speeding up or kicking the brake suddenly -- because for legal reasons they have to take two measurements shortly after each other (about one yard distance), and if the difference between them is too large both have to be discarded for possible measurement error. Anything like this? Unfortunately not for this particular instance. But this is the exact strategy I use for some other radar speed traps I've encountered.

Good questions asked by all, btw. This puzzle shouldn't last long now...
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for the compliments!

Do you speed up so that you can change lanes to put a semi-truck between you and the radar gun?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for the compliments!

Do you speed up so that you can change lanes to put a semi-truck between you and the radar gun? That's close enough!

************** SPOILER ***************

The highway I use to drive to work is relatively straight, and the direction I travel in on my way to work actually slopes slightly downwards. Also, because of the way the highway is designed, there is really only one spot where the police can park their 5+ cruisers to nab speeders.

All the above factors add up to a predictable speed trap that is usually visible to drivers before we get into its detection range. Faced with this, of course many drivers sensibly slow down. (As an aside, I often wonder how they manage to catch anyone at all -- but it seems to be working as there is almost always someone being tickets as I drive by the speed trap.)

However, this highway is also a major artery for the city, so at any given time, there are quite a few "Big Riggs" on the highway. So, if I can, I accelerate to catch up with one of them and place itself between the gun and my car. By accelerating and slowing down at the proper time, I'm able to ensure that the police officer manning the radar gun does not point it to me at all.

The title of this puzzle merits some explanation. "Tentanda via" is Latin for "The way must be tried". It is the official motto for York University, the university that is physically closest to the highway in this puzzle. Also, "via" is used to indicate a road or a street, and since this puzzle is about a highway...

Thanks to all who participated, and a special mention to Rabrab for finishing it off. Drive carefully, drive safely, but above all, drive smartly.
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only speeding ticket I ever got was for the exact opposite of this scenario--A semi was passing my car on the opposite side from the radar gun, (going considerably faster than I was.) It clocked his speed due to the much larger amount of metal in his trailer than my mid-sized car, but my car was what it was supposedly pointed at. So I wound up with the ticket. Bah.

Sweet puzzle, Haenlomal.
Dref (Dref)
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always run from a speedy trap, myself. It's the slow traps that always get me horever. ;)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: