[Haenlomal] Success! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2005 » [Haenlomal] Success! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 06, 2005Haenlomal22 6-06-05  9:12 pm
Archive through June 17, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 6-17-05  7:00 pm
Archive through July 11, 2005Haenlomal22 7-11-05  3:56 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to abandon Honesty for a bit...

Was the son's second question "What's wisdom?"
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to abandon Honesty for a bit... It's never a good idea to abandon honesty -- it is supposed to be the best policy after all!

Was the son's second question "What's wisdom?" Yep! And since I won't demand the exact wording from you, here it is: "And what is wisdom?"
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you believe me if I said that I had meant to put quotes around "Honesty"?

Did the father's second reply indicate that wisdom had something to do with knowing when? how? to do what he gave as an example of "Honesty"?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was one definition related to the other? I.e. honesty is having the wisdom to do and say what is right?
Wisdom is honestly knowing that you know nothing?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab

Would you believe me if I said that I had meant to put quotes around "Honesty"? Of course not, since you said that you've temporarily abandoned honesty

Did the father's second reply indicate that wisdom had something to do with knowing when? This is closest how? to do what he gave as an example of "Honesty"? So yes to this

Dlcygnet

Was one definition related to the other? YES!! Good question! I.e. honesty is having the wisdom to do and say what is right?
Wisdom is honestly knowing that you know nothing? But not related in this sense, sorry
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wisdom is knowing when to keep your mouth shut?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wisdom is knowing when to keep your mouth shut? Not quite, but this is quite close....if you figure out what the father's first answer to his son was, and then tie it into the idea you just presented, the second answer should be readily apparent.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty means speaking your mind?
Having wisdom means having a strong mind/good sense? Knowing when to keep quiet?

Mind over matter.
And if you have no mind,
the rest doesn't matter.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty means speaking your mind? Not in the context of this puzzle -- but keep on plugging away at common examples of honesty, and you should have it soon enough.
Having wisdom means having a strong mind/good sense? Not in the context of this puzzle. Knowing when to keep quiet? No to thise one as well.

Mind over matter.
And if you have no mind,
the rest doesn't matter. Interesting rime. Unfortunately, this idea is not relevant to the puzzle.
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is saying what needs to be said, and wisdom is knowing what needs to be said?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is saying what needs to be said, and wisdom is knowing what needs to be said? No...they are related, according to the joke, but not the same thing.

Small HINT: This puzzle is practically one step from being over. Just keep on thinking of a very common and practical example of honesty that you'd give to a little kid. Once you figure that out, the definition for wisdom should come naturally enough. :)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

honesty is always speaking the truth
wisdom is knowing when to keep your mouth shut?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

honesty is always speaking the truth
wisdom is knowing when to keep your mouth shut? Sorry, no. I am looking for specific examples of honesty rather than a general definition. For example, both Barbara and Lisa gave specific examples of honesty, but unfortunately, they weren't the correct ones. There really isn't that much out specific examples that one would offer a little kid, so keep plugging away at it, and you're bound to hit it sooner or later. :)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is not stealing?

Let me try a different tack:
Is the example of "Honesty" that the father gave a positive example (Honesty is <doing this>?)
or a negative example (Honesty is <not doing this>?)

Does it refer specifically to physical action? (Honesty is not taking things that aren't yours?/Honesty is returning things that you find, to their owner?)

to statements being made? (Honesty is admitting when you made a mistake?)

to questions being asked? (Honesty is admitting that you don't know, and asking for help?)

or is it an example of a general attitude that affects both action and words? (Honesty is always being fair?)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is not stealing? No -- well, yes, it is an example of honesty, but not the one given in the joke. :)

Let me try a different tack:
Is the example of "Honesty" that the father gave a positive example (Honesty is <doing this>?)
or a negative example (Honesty is <not doing this>?) It's a positive example -- good question!

Does it refer specifically to physical action? (Honesty is not taking things that aren't yours?/Honesty is returning things that you find, to their owner?)

to statements being made? (Honesty is admitting when you made a mistake?) This one is closest

to questions being asked? (Honesty is admitting that you don't know, and asking for help?)

or is it an example of a general attitude that affects both action and words? (Honesty is always being fair?)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is telling the truth?

Honesty is saying what you really mean?

Honesty is keeping your promises?

I'm running dry...
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Honesty is owning up when you make a mistake, and wisdom is not making a mistake in the first place?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab

Honesty is telling the truth?

Honesty is saying what you really mean?

Honesty is keeping your promises? This one -- well done!!

I'm running dry... No worries, for you have figured it out...now can you think of the father's answer to his child? :)

Wunderland

Honesty is owning up when you make a mistake, and wisdom is not making a mistake in the first place? No -- see my answer to Rabrab. But the way you related the two answers together is the right idea. :)

So, a quick recap to help put this puzzle out of its misery.

Father: "So remember, son. The key to success is honesty and wisdom."
Son: "But what is honesty?"
Father: "Honesty is keeping the promises that you make."
Son: "And what is wisdom?"
Father: <answers the second question -- this is also the joke's punchline>
Me: (after reading the joke) Well, in that case I guess all we really need is wisdom!
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing what to promise?
Knowing what not to promise?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing what to promise? No
Knowing what not to promise? No, but this one is closer
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing when to not make a promise?

Knowing who not to make a promises to?
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wisdom is not making promises?

not making promises you can't keep?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wisdom is not making promises? And that's another wrap!

********** SPOILER *************

Reader's Digest is a well known publication that is published in several different languages in different countries. Among other things, Reader's Digest routinely published jokes submitted by their readers.

Recently, there was an article stating the Editors' favourite jokes from selected regions. The following joke is Editors' choice from Hong Kong:

Father: "So remember, son. The key to success is honesty and wisdom."
Son: "But what is honesty?"
Father: "Honesty is keeping the promises that you make."
Son: "And what is wisdom?"
Father: "Wisdom is not making any promises at all."

Well, I guess in that case all we really need is wisdom! :)

Many thanks to all to participated, and special mention to Ian and Lewis for the initial spadework, and Lisa and Barbara for finally pulling the trigger and putting this puzzle out of its misery. May you be granted success via honesty and wisdom in future puzzles.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: