[DLcygnet] Hello World Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2005 » [DLcygnet] Hello World « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 20, 2005Lauri Ahonen22 7-20-05  6:49 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the corresponding endeavour in another engineering discipline relevant? I'm not quite sure what you mean here. But yes, I think.

Did you use a computer at the time of your attempt to amuse? If you mean a laptop or desktop... NO.
Was the funny thing a program you wrote? {One of the funny things. Yes. Hello World.}
If so, how many lines in the code? Not a yes or no question but... *thinks* Probably around 50-60 lines

Or did the funny/profitable thing you did only refer to the program? Not profitable. The main funny thing was the program. Like, a cell phone logo that had the "hello world" program in it? No cell phones used. Would I be right in thinking it was along these lines - a commercial inside joke? Yes.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant, something like the electronic engineer's standard first circuit (whatever that may be)

Did you trace the program on paper or in your head?
Was it on a computer whose purpose is to say hello to the world in some way?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant, something like the electronic engineer's standard first circuit (whatever that may be) Yesish. It was my first _____ ______. I doubt anybody else did their first this way.

Did you trace the program on paper Yes. or in your head No?
Was it on a computer whose purpose is to say hello to the world in some way? No. But it was capable of it. Very versatile.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your first blueprint? Your first set of specs?

You said No to a laptop or desktop computer. Was it an electronic computer at all? if so, a mainframe? Punch cards? mag tape? paper-tape?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your first blueprint? No. Your first set of specs? No.

You said No to a laptop or desktop computer. Correct. Was it an electronic computer at all? If you mean, was there a processor and ram and all the other things that normally go into a computer... then YES if so, a mainframe? No Punch cards? No. mag tape? No paper-tape?No.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, Were you using a programming language at all, or were you using a Hardware Descriptive Language?
Instead of a standard computer, were you using a programmable logic board?

And Barbara, I remember that story too, but that circuit did do something: it was meant to be a design of a WOM, a Write-Only-Memory chip...:)
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's right. I misremembered. Thanks for the correction.

So part of what you were doing that was amusing included the Hello, World code?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, Were you using a programming language at all Yes , or were you using a Hardware Descriptive Language? Huh?
Instead of a standard computer, were you using a programmable logic board? No

So part of what you were doing that was amusing included the Hello, World Yes code Yope?
If you mean is "cout << Hello, World" or "fprint Hello World" or some similarly simple format of THE 'Hello World' code anywhere to be found, then no.
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote:

Was it an electronic computer at all? If you mean, was there a processor and ram and all the other things that normally go into a computer... then YES

I need to clarify this for myself. Given that I'm not a computer expert, and in fact know very little about the mechanical and electronic workings of them, if I were to see the computer that you're talking about here, would I recognize it as a computer at all? Or would I be more likely to classify it as something else? (like a calculator, or a phone, or a VCR/TIVO or a wristwatch?)
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to clarify this for myself. Given that I'm not a computer expert, and in fact know very little about the mechanical and electronic workings of them, if I were to see the computer that you're talking about here, would I recognize it as a computer at all? Or would I be more likely to classify it as something else? (like a calculator, or a phone, or a VCR/TIVO or a wristwatch?) You would classify it as something else. None of the above though. Too simple.
Annelies Horckmans (Annls)
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a PDA (personal digital assistant)?

Was it something people normally use in their daily life?

The device you programmed 'Hello World' on is that the funny part about it? (that that thing 'says' Hello World)

Does is actually say Hello World of do the words appear?
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the old electronic typewriters? (I seem to recall that IBM made some that were effectively baby computers -- I'm pretty sure that at least one model stored whatever you had typed in until you hit return, then typed out the whole line -- so there was input, memory, a little bitty processor, display and printer.)

Would establishing the time period that you did this in be helpful? if so, during the 1950's? 60's? 70's? 80's? 90's? since 2000?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a PDA (personal digital assistant)? No.

Was it something people normally use in their daily life? No. Not unless you work for certain companies.

The device you programmed 'Hello World' on is that the funny part about it? Yes.
(that that thing 'says' Hello World)

Does is actually say Hello World or do the words appear? Neither. The latter is closer though.

One of the old electronic typewriters? (I seem to recall that IBM made some that were effectively baby computers -- I'm pretty sure that at least one model stored whatever you had typed in until you hit return, then typed out the whole line -- so there was input, memory, a little bitty processor, display and printer.) No.

Would establishing the time period that you did this in be helpful? if so, during the 1950's? 60's? 70's? 80's? 90's? since 2000? I did this the day I first posted this riddle. So that won't help. Figuring out what my job is will...
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it does help a bit, in that we're not looking for some museum-piece technology.

Or are we?

Certain companies use this thing daily, hmmm? those inventory counter things?

Massively wild guess...
Does the device have an LCD display, and a certain process gave a result of 9780177.07734 (Roughly "Hello World", if you turn it upside down?)
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it does help a bit, in that we're not looking for some museum-piece technology.

Or are we? Definately not.

Certain companies use this thing daily, hmmm? Absolutely. those inventory counter things? No.

Massively wild guess...
Does the device have an LCD display That's part of it., and a certain process gave a result of 9780177.07734 (Roughly "Hello World", if you turn it upside down?) No. Not relevant. Although, it is possible to type that in if you wish.
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some sort of metering device?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some sort of metering device? No.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a calculator?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a calculator? Again No. Too simple. Watch out for FAs!
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a computer network?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a computer network? No. Nothing so amorphous.
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have a keyboard attached or a part of it? if yes, alpha? numeric? both? does it have a monitor or display screen of some sort?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have a keyboard attached or a part of it? Yesish. FA lurking if yes, alpha? No, but... numeric? This, and... both? Other. does it have a monitor No or display screen Yes. (LCD) of some sort?
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it involved programming?

it isn't a common item, but one only found in certain companies?

Does it have a large display screen or a small one?

Is it something people wouldn't think of that it's 'programmable'?

Do these certain companies have one of or several of this item?
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's swat the FA, then...

is the FA in the statement that:

It has?
a?
keyboard?
attached?
part of it?

The keyboard/touchpad/whatever it is (I'll come back to that) is numeric and something else.

Is the something else letters but not the Latin alphabet?
symbols but not letters?
if yes to symbols, are they mathematical operators?
are they mathematical symbols (like in the first table of Special Characters in the "Formatting" section of the LTPF FAQs?
are they architectural symbols?
symbolic logic symbols?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it involved programming? Yes.

it isn't a common item It's VERY common in certain industries, but one only found in certain companies? Yes, it's not the sort of thing you'd keep in your house.

Does it have a large display screen or a small one? This one? Small. Doesn't have to be though.

Is it something people wouldn't think of that it's 'programmable'? No, people realize this HAS to be programmed.

Do these certain companies have one of or several of this item? Many.

is the FA in the statement that:

It has? Many things.
a? Insert Canadian joke here.
keyboard? This. I don't want you to get the impression that I'm sitting in front of a desktop programming like most programmers do. I can and do, but this wasn't one of those times.
attached? Yes. Preferably a long cord between them.
part of it? Nope.

The keyboard/touchpadTHIS!!!/whatever it is (I'll come back to that) is numeric and something else. Yes.

Is the something else letters but not the Latin alphabet? No.
symbols but not letters? Yes, plus...
if yes to symbols, are they mathematical operators? No.
are they mathematical symbols (like in the first table of Special Characters in the "Formatting" section of the LTPF FAQs? No.
are they architectural symbols? No.
symbolic logic symbols? No.
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a coffee machine?
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many additional symbols are on the touchpad? Insert LTPF List of Positive Integers, please.

(I'm assuming that all the digits 0-9 are there. Am I wrong on this?)

How big is the touchpad? Bigger than a standard keyboard? about the same size as a standard keyboard? about the size of a laptop keyboard? half the size of a laptop keyboard? the size of a PDA? smaller than that?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a coffee machine? No.

How many additional symbols are on the touchpad? Insert LTPF List of Positive Integers, please.
(I'm assuming that all the digits 0-9 are there. Am I wrong on this?)
18 Symbols, 11 numeric (0-9, negative, decimal), 15 - Other, 1 - Not a key/button

How big is the touchpad? Bigger than a standard keyboard? about the same size as a standard keyboard? about the size of a laptop keyboard? half the size of a laptop keyboard? the size of a PDA? smaller than that? 6 inches x 12 inches x 1-3 inches, with 2 of the buttons sticking out of the side
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 15 "other"s-- are they functions? (enter, backspace, shift, delete, direction-arrows, and such?) The one that's not a key/buttton--is it an on/off switch?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 15 "other"s-- are they functions? They are called function keys, yes. (enter No, I count this as a symbol, backspace No, symbol, shift No., delete No, symbol, direction-arrows Yes - 4 of them, and such?)

The one that's not a key/buttton--is it an on/off switch? No. But one of the 15 'other' would be considered that.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it one of those electronic devices such as United Postal Service or similar companies provide their drivers to record signatures, keep inventory of packages, etc.?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it one of those electronic devices such as United Postal Service or similar companies provide their drivers to record signatures, keep inventory of packages, etc.? No. Reminder: This touchpad is attached to something.
Tony (E20)
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some kind of hand held game playing device?

Is the touchpad attached to the "something" by a cable?
Would the touchpad be considered an intergal part of the "something"?
How big is the "something"?
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the device a control device for some type of machine or installation?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some kind of hand held game playing device? No. But at least one element is VERY similar to that.

Is the touchpad attached to the "something" by a cable? Yes.
Would the touchpad be considered an intergal part of the "something"? Yes.
How big is the "something"? Judge's ruling: Need yes or no questions for that line of questioning. Hint: Bigger than a breadbox.

Is the device a control device for some type of machine or installation? YES.
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that one element a joystick? a trackball?

Bigger than a breadbox, you say...

is it also bigger than a computer monitor (old style, not flatscreen)?

bigger than a footlocker?
bigger than a coffetable?
bigger than a steamer trunk?
bigger than a couch?
bigger than a VW bug?
bigger than a mid-sized car?
bigger than a big car?
bigger than a full-sized pick-up truck?
bigger than a semi-tractor?
bigger than a semi-trailer?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that one element a joystick? YES. a trackball?

Bigger than a breadbox, you say...

THE "Something" is...

is it also bigger than a computer monitor (old style, not flatscreen)? Yes.

bigger than a footlocker? Yes.
bigger than a coffetable? Yes.
bigger than a steamer trunk? I think...
bigger than a couch? Yesish.
bigger than a VW bug? Yesish.
bigger than a mid-sized car? Yesish.
bigger than a big car? Noish
bigger than a full-sized pick-up truck? Noish
bigger than a semi-tractor? No
bigger than a semi-trailer? No

...but a different "something" could be a different size. It varies.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The forum crashed and lost data. This puzzle was solved after a few spurts of inspiration. So once again...

***************SPOILER************************
I'm a robotics engineer for Boeing. My first day on the job involved familiarization with the robots and some basic operators training. The control panel could be programmed like any computer and it had a joystick for moving the robot around and then recording the position of the robot so you could "teach" it points and have it repeat movement to those points. After making the robot 'dance' with some ragged movements of the joystick (the funny lapse), I moved on to the programming. Given that I've had many years of programming training, the first program I instinctively wanted to teach the robot was "Hello World." Rather than have the phrase print out on the screen, I taped a pen onto the robot end effector and taught the robot to write on some paper. My fellow programmers were impressed and equally amused at this tribute to my years of C++.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: