[tigger32382] Mission! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 15, 2005Ed Mason22 11-15-05  10:30 pm
Archive through November 16, 2005Jennifer22 11-16-05  3:59 pm
Archive through November 16, 2005Lewis Zeiters22 11-16-05  10:24 pm
Archive through November 17, 2005Lewis Zeiters22 11-17-05  1:01 pm
Archive through November 17, 2005Ixoye72422 11-17-05  4:40 pm
Archive through November 17, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 11-17-05  8:44 pm
Archive through November 22, 2005Lisa22 11-22-05  6:39 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like then, if there is a pattern, it is not one that anyone has picked up on. I am sure we've missed a clue somewhere, but sometimes you have to take the long route to the solution.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, repeat the trial and error process.
Try the green.
If nothing, pink.
If nothing, black.
If nothing, red.

Okay, after the white... black works!
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. So far, yellow-blue-white-black works, correct?

Nope. No pattern I can see yet, other than color opposites getting paired off so far. Which makes me think pink will be last.

Try red.
If nothing, green.
If nothing, pink.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe at some point, someone will be kind enough to let us know what a faster solution would have been, unless it occurs to someone before the mission is accomplished...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. So far, yellow-blue-white-black works, correct? yup

Nope. No pattern I can see yet, other than color opposites getting paired off so far. Which makes me think pink will be last.

Try red. hey, it works!
If nothing, green.
If nothing, pink.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Green.
If nothing, pink.

Then plug in the last one (probably pink.)
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try Green.
If nothing, pink.

Then plug in the last one (probably pink.) Okay, trying green ... nothing. Pink works, though! When I put the green one in, the padlock with no key springs open. There is also a whirring noise, and the plexiglass partition is pulled back into the wall. I can access all the other carts now.

The first one I come to has two pieces of plastic on it. One is a flat square with the name "abe" printed on it and the other is a cube with the word "be" on it. The square and the cube are both yellow. Now what?!?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try 15625 on the 5-digit combination lock.
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and please describe the other two carts!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try 15625 on the 5-digit combination lock. and it works! I can see mathematical puzzles will have to be more complex to stump you John :)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

Oh, and please describe the other two carts! Okay, one of them has nothing on it at all, but there is a man standing near it and he has a key in his hand. The last one has several novels lying on the cart. I see A Tale of Two Cities, Pride and Prejudice, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Don Quixote, The Metamorphosis, 1984, Romeo and Juliet, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, and the Iliad.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, that wonderful novel Romeo and Juliet :)

Try asking the bloke for the key.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, that wonderful novel Romeo and Juliet :) Just like the novel Peter Rabbit, right? :) Yes, I realized after posting that not all the works were novels... Sorry about that!

Try asking the bloke for the key. He laughs at me before saying... "Just tell me how you arranged them, then you can have it."
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See if you can find out whether by "them" he means the blocks or the novels.

Then, give him "A Tale of Two Cities" to read. When he falls asleep, as he invariably will, pinch the key.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See if you can find out whether by "them" he means the blocks or the novels.

Then, give him "A Tale of Two Cities" to read. When he falls asleep, as he invariably will, pinch the key. Hmm.. I give him the book (smiling all the while) and he will not take it. He doesn't seem interested at all in the books.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming the 9 x 9 grid doesn't take numbers:
Try Authors with works in Alphabetical order
GEORGEORW
CHARLESDI
CERVANTES
DOUGLASAD
BEATRIXPO
JANEAUSTE
WILLIAMSH
HOMER    
FRANZKAFK

or Authors in Alphabetical order
BEATRIXPO
CERVANTES
CHARLESDI
DOUGLASAD
FRANZKAFK
GEORGEORW
HOMER    
JANEAUSTE
WILLIAMSH
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I try both of those suggestions, but neither work. (PS. Is there a reason every author got to keep his/her first name except Cervantes?)
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the books on the cart in any particular order? On the lock, can you enter blanks? If you can try entering using the authors last names in alphabetical order, ie
ADAMS
AUSTEN
CERVANTES
DICKENS
HOMER
KAFKA
ORWELL
POTTER
SHAKESPEA
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the books on the cart in any particular order? They are in the order they are listed On the lock, can you enter blanks? Hmm... yes I can. If you can try entering using the authors last names in alphabetical order, ie
ADAMS
AUSTEN
CERVANTES
DICKENS
HOMER
KAFKA
ORWELL
POTTER
SHAKESPEA I try this, but the lock doesn't budge...

By the by, welcome to the puzzle! :)
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything special about any of the books? Does one look more used than the others? Any markings on the books? Turned down pages?
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The man with the key may be asking how you arranged the blocks. Try telling him "por orden alfabetico".
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have said "orden alfabetico por color de bloque". Please excuse my poor Spanish.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Heather Warde (Heatherw) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:36 pm:

Is there anything special about any of the books? Does one look more used than the others? Any markings on the books? Turned down pages? Not that I can see... They all look like they have been read at least once, but none are distinguished from any of the others.

By Heather Warde (Heatherw) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 04:08 pm:

The man with the key may be asking how you arranged the blocks. Try telling him "por orden alfabetico". Good idea...

By Heather Warde (Heatherw) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:20 pm:

I should have said "orden alfabetico por color de bloque". Please excuse my poor Spanish. The man smiles and hands me the key! ¡Qué excelente! Now four locks are off and only that 9x9 grid lock remains. Our mission is so close to being completed!
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try order of writing
HOMER
SHAKESPEA
CERVANTES
AUSTEN
DICKENS
POTTER
KAFKA
ORWELL
ADAMS
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try working the names in different directions, i.e. top-bottom, bottom-top, right-left using the previous patterns already attempted so far. (i.e. last name alpha, chronological, etc.}
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try working the names in different directions, i.e. top-bottom, bottom-top, right-left using the previous patterns already attempted so far. (i.e. last name alpha, chronological, etc.} Trying... no matter what I do with the author's names, it does not seem to make a difference. That darn lock won't open up. I even try humming Jewish melodies that I've heard in synagogue as I enter the names right to left, but no luck :)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try the titles instead, using the same patterns above.... I like humming or whistling tunes while i'm trying to concentrate on a task as well... :O
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything else on the cart besides the books? Is there anything else you can see that would give us an idea of how we are to use the books? Are the books all in English? Are there any words circled in the titles?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try the titles instead, using the same patterns above.... I like humming or whistling tunes while i'm trying to concentrate on a task as well... Okay, trying the titles in every conceivable order, but nothing

By Heather Warde (Heatherw) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 06:26 pm:

Is there anything else on the cart besides the books? Is there anything else you can see that would give us an idea of how we are to use the books? no to these Are the books all in English? Yes. Anything not originally in English is here in translation Are there any words circled in the titles? No, but that would have been handy :)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The combined list of titles and authors contains every letter of the alphabet at least once.

However, I have no idea what use, if any, could be made of this fact.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The combined list of titles and authors contains every letter of the alphabet at least once.

However, I have no idea what use, if any, could be made of this fact. Cool. Irrelevant, but cool.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible we can go trial-and-error on this like we did with the blocks? I'm curious...

Try entering the authors' last names, one at a time, in the first grid only, going left to right. Enter only one name on the first line and see if there appears to be any positive (or negative) response. After entering the first name, if nothing happens, replace that name with the next one (alphabetically) and watch for any response. Report back with any results...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible we can go trial-and-error on this like we did with the blocks? I'm curious...

Try entering the authors' last names, one at a time, in the first grid only, going left to right. Enter only one name on the first line and see if there appears to be any positive (or negative) response. After entering the first name, if nothing happens, replace that name with the next one (alphabetically) and watch for any response. Report back with any results... Hmm... sadly, no results to report. I try every name on the first line, nothing happens. In fact, I repeat the whole process for the second line, and still nothing happens. Etc down on to the 9th line.
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the first word(s) from each book, in all the above orderings.
Is there anything unusual about the books themselves? Anything written inside them (other than their expected contents, that is)?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the first word(s) from each book, in all the above orderings.
Is there anything unusual about the books themselves? Anything written inside them (other than their expected contents, that is)?
I enter:
It was th
It is a t
Far out i
In a vill
As Gregor
It was a
Two house
Once upon
Achilles'

Wow, the lock pops open! The prisoner steps out of the cage, shakes my hand, and says "Congratulations, you have completed your mission, Norman! You have been promoted to the rank of Super Super Super Secret Spy!"

Good work to all, that is a SPOILER!!!

(Now we can have Trav's Second Lateral Adventure, perchance?)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fun and challenging! Yes, Trav's 2nd is ready and will appear soon!
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jen, Five locks without keys, but one of them holds the key!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: