[woubit] Freeze Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [woubit] Freeze « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 07, 2005David Burn22 12-07-05  1:49 pm
Archive through December 07, 2005Mezzoforte22 12-07-05  7:46 pm
Archive through December 07, 2005David Burn22 12-07-05  9:25 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Close enough to the right ballpark" meaning the words are similar? the tunes are similar? the places of origin are similar?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And there is of course no such thing as a lower-case Buzzard. There is the upper case, and the uppermost case :)
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When Christ Was Born Of Mary Free
As Joseph Was A-Walking
Blessed Be That Maid Marie
The Seven Joys Of Mary
A Boy Is Born In Bethlehem
A Child This Day Is Born
Lullay, Thou Little Tiny Child
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:32 pm:

"Close enough to the right ballpark" meaning the words are similar? the tunes are similar? the places of origin are similar? closer than that. There is a "ballpark" in which both "There is no rose" and the carol in question are contained...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

When Christ Was Born Of Mary Free
As Joseph Was A-Walking
Blessed Be That Maid Marie
The Seven Joys Of Mary
A Boy Is Born In Bethlehem
A Child This Day Is Born
Lullay, Thou Little Tiny Child none of those. Research into "There is no rose of swych [such] vertu" (or alternative mediaeval spellings) should prove profitable...
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THIS IS FUN
Blyssid be that mayde Mary
Mary moder, meke and mylde
Mary moder, cum and se
A babe is born al of a may
When Cryst was born of Mary fre
Mervele noõt, Josep, on Mary mylde
Jhesu of a mayde thou woldest be borne
Of Mary Criste was bore

Must we read ye olde English to solve this puzzle?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

THIS IS FUN I am glad to hear it :)

Blyssid be that mayde Mary
Mary moder, meke and mylde
Mary moder, cum and se
A babe is born al of a may
When Cryst was born of Mary fre
Mervele noõt, Josep, on Mary mylde
Jhesu of a mayde thou woldest be borne
Of Mary Criste was bore none of those

Must we read ye olde English to solve this puzzle? in the old days, clerkes had to finden things writen in hir boke. They, of course, did not have Google...
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Googling "There is no rose of swych vertu" gives a large number of references to a recording of this song by the Mediaeval Baebes. Is this relevant? There are also several references to a recording by the Anonymous 4. Is that relevant?

This song we're still looking for: does it mention roses? Does the title of the song mention Mary? Jesus? this relevant bird?

Is the song English? Welsh? Scottish?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:28 pm:

Googling "There is no rose of swych vertu" gives a large number of references to a recording of this song by the Mediaeval Baebes. crikey. I have never heard of them. Do they play the baenjo? Is this relevant? no There are also several references to a recording by the Anonymous 4. well, by definition, nobody has heard of them Is that relevant? no

This song we're still looking for: does it mention roses? no Does the title of the song mention Mary? no Jesus? no, but the title is a direct reference to Jesus this relevant bird? no

Is the song English? this one, but somewhat ancient English Welsh? Scottish?
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "Saviour", "Messiah" or "baby" in the title?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:11 am:

Is the word "Saviour", "Messiah" or "baby" in the title? no, but "baby" is close...
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Child?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Mediaeval Baebes aren't bad. They're the ones from whom I got the title to my second Lemony Snicket puzzle. They don't play many instruments at all, but the ones they do play are dulcimers and recorders and that sort of thing.

Sorry - should have clarified that I meant "Is the song English in origin?" not "Is the song in the English language?" Is the answer still the same? Is the song identified with a particular place in England?

Do the lyrics contain any Latin?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:13 am:

Child? precisely so - well done :)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:28 am:

Sorry - should have clarified that I meant "Is the song English in origin?" yes not "Is the song in the English language?" yes also Is the answer still the same? laeftr Is the song identified with a particular place in England? no

Do the lyrics contain any Latin? none whatever. Not even Vim.
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what child is this? :P
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nightingale?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:40 am:

what child is this? no, but help may be at hand...

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 12:20 pm:

nightingale? yes, indeed :)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So if you think a nightingale's song sounds nicer than a crying infant, you're a bad person?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 02:05 pm:

So if you think a nightingale's song sounds nicer than a crying infant, you're a bad person? well, not exactly. But close enough :)

***** SPOILER *****

Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols includes (in addition to There is no rose of such vertu) the 16th century carol That yongë child, whose words are:

That yongë child when it gan weep,
With song she lullèd him asleep.
That was so sweet a melody,
It passèd alle minstrelsy.

The nightingale sang also,
Her song is hoarse and nought thereto.
Whoso attendeth to her song
And leaveth the first then doth he wrong.

The idea is that going to listen to the nightingale instead of to the Virgin Mary singing lullabies to the infant Jesus is wrong. To stay right, you'd better stay right there.

Well done Buzzard, and Lynne, and Mezzoforte, and Benjamin Britten. More Christmas puzzles on the way, as soon as I can think of any.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neat! I'm thinking of a Christmas rulebreaker whose solution doesn't involve the time of posting.

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking of a Christmas rulebreaker whose solution doesn't involve the time of posting And the best of luck :) My alter ego, a man inordinately fond of humbugs, wishes to proffer some advice...

Check the timestamps - that's sheer folly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
He who does is just a wally,
Don we now our gay apparel,
Fa la la la la, la la la la
("Gay" does not imply immoral -
Thought I'd better mention this - fa la.)

See the problem set before us,
[Oh, go on - guess]
Truly hope that it won't bore us
Question me - if I can't answer
Chances are I'm not a chancer,
Though you may conclude that I'm ga-ga.

Fast away the old year passes,
(Nowhere fast enough, if you ask me).
Hail the new, ye lads and lasses,
(Transsexuals and all, to be PC).
Sing we joyous, all together,
(Never mind that we're en route to Hell).
Heedless of the wind and weather,
(What with global warming, just as well).
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sheer genius! I've never had a humbug but would like to one day.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: