[Tsoram1970] Robin Hood Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [Tsoram1970] Robin Hood « Previous Next »

Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He thought he was stopping a crime, but ended up commiting it!
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he = he?

crime = an act (or omission?) that is against the law? the law of: england/wales? scotland? other european countries? america? canada? australia?

crime = murder/manslaughter? GBH? ABH? driving without due care or attention? disobeying a police officer? imitating a police officer? streaking? driving through a red light? assault? battery?
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check thine E-mail, Tom.
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

happenned recently? Didn't but could have? happened a while ago?
Fictional? factual?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Logician:

he = he? Yes

crime = an act (or omission?) that is against the law?correct...act the law of: england/wales? scotland? other european countries? america? canada? australia?against all of these...but in this case USA...I'm sure that Canada will forgive you eventually! :)

crime = murder/manslaughter? GBH? ABH? driving without due care or attention? disobeying a police officer? imitating a police officer? streaking? driving through a red light? assault? battery? None of these!

Wizardofnz:

Check thine E-mail, Tom. Sorry Steve...nice try but not that one...

Myth:

happenned recently?a number of years ago 3 or 4... Didn't but could have?Nope reality happened a while ago?depends on how you mean a while.... 3 or 4 years
Fictional? factual? Factual
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did somebody else commit a crime ? did he try and stop this crime ? and in doing so break the law ?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dinkie:

did somebody else commit a crime ?No did he try and stop this crime ?Yes and in doing so break the law ? Yes
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was his crime the same crime that he tried to prevent? Was it a separate crime from the original one (i.e. did he simply help the criminal commit the act)? Did his crime happen instantaneously after the other crime attempt? Did both 'crimes' have the same victim(s)?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Logician:

Was his crime the same crime that he tried to prevent?Yope Was it a separate crime from the original one (i.e. did he simply help the criminal commit the act)?separate Did his crime happen instantaneously after the other crime attempt?FA Did both 'crimes' have the same victim(s)?No
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a mistaken-identity kind of thing (e.g. he thought he was returning a handbag to its owner, but was actually taking it from its owner)?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mosquito:

Was there a mistaken-identity kind of thing (e.g. he thought he was returning a handbag to its owner, but was actually taking it from its owner)? Yes! but there's a wee bit more to it than that
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the contents illegal ? and he wasn't aware they were illegal ?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dinkie:

were the contents illegal ?No and he wasn't aware they were illegal ?he knew what they were.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bad guy want him to commit the crime "for him"?
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the crimes the same except for the person committing it?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mezzoforte:

Did the bad guy want him to commit the crime "for him"? FA

Was the crimes the same except for the person committing it? yope-same FA here

There is a definite FA in here... I can see that one of my answers could have been misread to encourage the FA(I answered yes where a yope might have been more appropriate), but taken in the context of the other questions asked by that solver it is clear that there is a need to further explore... by this I mean that my answers to this set of questions seem to contradict themselves.If solvers want I will post these questions(and answers) again....
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please do
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970) on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 06:24 pm:

Dinkie:

did somebody else commit a crime ?No did he try and stop this crime ?Yes, but see pevious answer and in doing so break the law ? Yes

Logician:

Was his crime the same crime that he tried to prevent?Yope Was it a separate crime from the original one (i.e. did he simply help the criminal commit the act)?separate, but beware FA Did his crime happen instantaneously after the other crime attempt?FA Did both 'crimes' have the same victim(s)?No
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? Is stealing from the rich relevant? Is giving to the poor relevant?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mezzoforte:

Is the title relevant? Is stealing from the rich relevant? Is giving to the poor relevant?Sortof...but with very twisted logic... he was not a modern day robin hood.
Drew Sollenberger (Sollen)
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think i know the fa!

did he perseve a crime happening when in fact there was no crime? and as such no bad guy or failed crime?

did he think someone had stolen something? possesed something that wasn't thiers? and so took that item away from them?

would this 'item' from above question be a comon household item? something you would hold? something used for holding/carying items such as a purse or backpack?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sollen:

I think i know the fa! We shall see....

did he perseve a crime happening when in fact there was no crime? and as such no bad guy or failed crime? Bingo! that was the FA... no crime to start with...

did he think someone had stolen something?YES! possesed something that wasn't thiers?No and so took that item away from them? Not exactly....

would this 'item' from above question be a comon household item?in some households something you would hold?Yes something used for holding/carying items such as a purse or backpack? probably not. There was more than one item involved, but they were mostly of one kind of thing..find that and the game is nearly over....
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he think someone was stealing cable :p

is this item usually considered large? heavy? something expensive? electronic? Something I a poor college student would likely have in my appartment(all I got is a bed and a laptop so probably not :))
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sollen:

Did he think someone was stealing cable :p No...physical objects

is this item usually considered large?sometimes heavy?no something expensive?Can be... but not in this case electronic?Again can be Something I a poor college student would likely have in my appartment(all I got is a bed and a laptop so probably not )neither of those... and some might but not usually
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a hint to move this on folks.... there is a seasonal aspect to this one...so I'd kinda like to see it put to bed soon!)

************** Recap **************

original puzzle was "He thought he was stopping a crime, but ended up commiting it!"

The "He"s are both the same guy.
A crime had NOT been committed.He THOUGHT that theft had taken place. In trying to stop the theft he committed a crime.
Charity (giving to the poor) is relevant, but not in his action.Stealing from the rich is also relevant, butin a wee bit more of twisted logic sense.
several items are involved...quite common itmes... a type of item will suffice to solve the puzzle.
And as I have just given away in a hint...think seasonal folks!

BTW I don't think this has been done before... but I would be very surprised if it hasn't been on here in some form or other before....
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh recap helped; think I know the answer.

was this one of the toy drives where you give presents to the poor; but the man thought that the present of the family were being stolen rather then being given away?
Tom Waddell (Tsoram1970)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sollen:

oh recap helped; think I know the answer.

was this one of the toy drives where you give presents to the poor; but the man thought that the present of the family were being stolen rather then being given away?
YES! exact details are...

*********SPOILER**********

It was a Walmart store, and the man was a manager there. A local chairy sought permission to set up a toy drive in the store. The store understood that presents would be put in walmart bags to show that they had been purchased, and not just taken off the shelves. So when people put presents in, unwrapped and not in bags, he just cleared them out. Of course he waited until there were enough things in there to make it worth his effort! And in putting the items back on the shelves, he managed to commit the offence of theft from charity. Not quite Robin Hood! check out http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/walmart.asp !

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: