Its not always worth a look! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2006 » Its not always worth a look! « Previous Next »

Senorina_illuminata (Senorina_illuminata)
Username: Senorina_illuminata

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she was expecting something. if it had been there, she would still be here today.

be kind...it's my very first time!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 477
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course. :-)
She: human? adult?
Was she expecting something to happen? Or was she expecting someone? something?
Pregnancy?
She would still be here today: she's dead? or does here refer to a country? a school? a home? an office?

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I just noticed the title..
Did she look into a room/container etc, expecting to see something there?
Wunderland (Wunderland)
Username: Wunderland

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A section of floor? a manhole cover? anything along those lines?
both she's the same?
Solane (Solane)
Username: Solane

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pandora?

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she:human? adult? YES (sorry,please let me know how to post in bold! thanks)
was she expecting something to happen?YES
was she expecting someone? NO
something? YESISH
pregnancy? NO
she would still be here today: shes dead? YES
did she look into a room /container etc expecting to see something there? SHE WENT INTO A ROOM, YES, AND WAS EXPECTING TO SEE SOMETHING.
a section of the floor?NO
manhole cover? NO
anything along those lines? NO
both shes the same? YES
pandora? NO

(im sorry guys, please let me know how to copy the questions into my post because at the moment, i'm retyping every question! and please tell me how to type bold so its easier for you guys to see! thankyou!)

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Highlight the text, right click and select "copy". Then right click in the box you're typing in and select "paste". Alternatively, you can hold down "control" on your keyboard and press "v".
To get bold:
\b {text in here, but without the space between the b and the bracket}
Or
<b>text here, again without the space between b and bracket</b>

Was her death an accident? Murder? Suicide?
Did she die immediately after she looked into the room? A day later? A few days later? Months? Years? Was there something in the room that killed her?
Her occupation relevant?

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was her death an accident?YES Murder? NOSuicide? NO
Did she die immediately after she looked into the room?WITHIN A FEW MINUTES, YES A day later?so no A few days later? Months? Years? Was there something in the room that killed her? YES, SOMETHING IN THE ROOM CAUSED HER DEATH
Her occupation relevant? YESISH

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jumpingjack :-) that makes things so much easier!
also, to clarify one earlier question, when you asked 'did she die immediately after she looked into the room?' the answer should have been: Yes, death would have occurred almost immediately, the maximum time it would have taken for her to die would have been a few minutes

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, and one more small correction, when you asked Is Her occupation relevant? when i said yes-ish, what i was trying to say was that it is not her OCCUPATION, as such, that is relevant. May lead to a very slight FA

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my apologies guys if i'm never online at the same time as anyone else, i live in Australia....but i'll try to reply as soon as i can!

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the room serve a special function? Was it in a factory? Was there some kind of scientific experiment going on? Were there chemicals involved? toxic?
Did she die from an explosion? suffocation? Was the thing that resulted in her death a living thing?
Did she enter the wrong room? Or did she know what was supposed to be taking place inside that room? Was she on the job when she entered it? Would her occupation require her to enter this room? Did she enter it because she was curious? Because she wanted to attain something?

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the room serve a special function?yes Was it in a factory?no Was there some kind of scientific experiment going on?This is closest Were there chemicals involved?yes toxic? no
Did she die from an explosion?no suffocation? YES! she died from asphysxiationWas the thing that resulted in her death a living thing? no
Did she enter the wrong room?no Or did she know what was supposed to be taking place inside that room?very tricky to answer properly...lets just say she thought she would see something in the room Was she on the job when she entered it?yes Would her occupation require her to enter this room?not require her as such, but she was one person who could have entered it in this scenario Did she enter it because she was curious?yope Because she wanted to attain something?no

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Science lab? Any special knowledge required? I don't know too much about sciencey stuff..
Was she a cleaner, or a part of some other ancillary trade? Is she a professional? Was she responsible for setting up the process taking place inside this room? Had someone come in previously and tinkered with it? (I'm reminded of the episode of Mr Bean where he fiddles with this boy's experiment, and it explodes in the boy's face when he goes in)
Did she shut the door behind her after she came in? If she had left the door open, would she still have died? Did the door automatically seal shut behind her, trapping her in?
Plebeian (Plebeian)
Username: Plebeian

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she in pest control?
Was the 'thing' she expected to see in the room something alive? Someone human? Something moving?
Was the room she entered full of a gas which could kil her? Or was it a vacuum?
p.s. Time differences don't matter here. Replies can occasionally take days. We're patient :-)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks a lot toiletman, i can also assume that your name sums you up quite well too! bitterness aside, if you don't find my puzzle interesting, please don't waste your time posting on it. there are plenty of other active puzzles that you may enjoy.

Science lab?not really, but you're on the right track here Any special knowledge required? I don't know too much about sciencey stuff..not really, this scenario is potentially pretty common without the right precautions, it's based on a true story by the way
Was she a cleaner,no or a part of some other ancillary trade?sort of Is she a professional?no, not a doctor or scientist or other college qualified occupation Was she responsible for setting up the process taking place inside this room?mmm, no she wasn't responsible for setting up the 'process' taking place..but...keep asking questions along these lines Had someone come in previously and tinkered with it?many times, but probably not in the way you think, could lead to a bit of a FA(I'm reminded of the episode of Mr Bean where he fiddles with this boy's experiment, and it explodes in the boy's face when he goes in) Hehehe! no, nothing as funny as that i'm afraid!:-)
Did she shut the door behind her after she came in?yes, she did! If she had left the door open, would she still have died?it's still quite probable, but there would be a small chance of her surviving Did the door automatically seal shut behind her, trapping her in?yes, the door locked behind her, but she had the code to unlock it, even if it had simply closed behing her without locking, she would still have died
good questions guys! I'm beginning to think I have made my first puzzle much too easy for the likes of you puzzlers! :-)

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she an assistant?
Did just one person come in and fiddle with it? A few people? When they entered, did they wear a gas mask or other protective clothing? Or was it not necessary at that stage?
If she had entered a few minutes earlier, would she still have suffocated? a few hours earlier? what about a few minutes/hours later?
Would this happen everyday? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? A one-off thing?
Was there anyone in the room when she entered? Was it a gas chamber, and someone was being sentenced to death?

Oh and I think you missed Plebeian's questions--the post just after mine!
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Username: Haenlomal

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just ignore the troll, Louise. I've just checked on all his postings, and I reckon the mods will deal with him soon enough.

Would she have known she was in trouble as soon as she closed the door? Did she notice the something she expected was not there as soon as she entered the room? Before she closed the door? Would she have even entered the room if she knew that what she was expecting was not there?

The something she was expecting: is it a tangible object? or was she expecting something to be missing and it was actually present?

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and I think you missed Plebeian's questions--the post just after mine!
thanks jumpingjack! i'm so sorry Plebeian, i've been such a scatterbrain lately!
Was she in pest control? no
Was the 'thing' she expected to see in the room something alive?no Someone human?noSomething moving? yesish
Was the room she entered full of a gas which could kil her?it was full of a gas that killed her in this situation, but this particular gas is not known for being particularly dangerous at all, it's actually very common Or was it a vacuum? no
Was she an assistant? yes, this is closest
Did just one person come in and fiddle with it?a few people had fiddled with it in the past, this has SOME relevance to the puzzle, but these people fiddling with it previously is NOT what directly caused her death A few people?at different times, one or two people on each occasion probably When they entered, did they wear a gas mask or other protective clothing? Or was it not necessary at that stage? it was not necessary to, but they thought that it was, and so, they did have a special safety apparatus with them, not a gas mask as such, but very, very close, they also had some minor articles of protective clothing
If she had entered a few minutes earlier, would she still have suffocated?yes a few hours earlier?perhaps what about a few minutes/hours later?yes
Would this happen everyday? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? A one-off thing? A death like this is a very rare occurance
Was there anyone in the room when she entered? Was it a gas chamber, and someone was being sentenced to death? no, good thought though :-)
Would she have known she was in trouble as soon as she closed the door?no, she would not have had time to be aware of her impending death, death was almost instantaneous, she would have lost conciousness before death Did she notice the something she expected was not there as soon as she entered the room?yes, she noticed it BEFORE she entered the room Before she closed the door? Would she have even entered the room if she knew that what she was expecting was not there? ok, good questions! actually, if what she was expecting had of been there, she would NOT have entered the room at all!

The something she was expecting: is it a tangible object?no or was she expecting something to be missing and it was actually present?ah, other way around! she was expecting something to be present, but it was missing!

great questions everyone!

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the door made of glass? Some other transparent material? Was there a little electronic sign at the top of it flashing "experiment in progress"? And was it not flashing?
The gas: CO? Carbon dioxide? Hydrogen? Nitrogen? Helium? Is it a greenhouse gas? Is it noble? Combination of 2 atom/ion thingies? 3? 4? 5? more?
If she had seen something in the room, she would not have gone in at all, but if she had gone in, would she be suffocated? Was the gas of a particular colour?
Plebeian (Plebeian)

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she expecting to enter a room of noxious gas?
which would smell if present?
Was the gas that killed her oxygen?

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the door made of glass?a small part of it was Some other transparent material? Was there a little electronic sign at the top of it flashing "experiment in progress"? And was it not flashing? ah, getting very, very close! there definitely was something she saw through the door that she expected to be flashing, but it wasn't. It was not anything about an experiment in progress though.
The gas: CO? Carbon dioxide? Hydrogen? Nitrogen?this! but theres a little bit more to find out about it! Helium?no Is it a greenhouse gas?its a specific form of one of the radiative forcing only greenhouse gases Is it noble?no Combination of 2 atom/ion thingies? 3? 4? 5? more? um...if it helps, its electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p3, but you already know its nitrogen...with a bit more to get...
If she had seen something in the room, she would not have gone in at all, but if she had gone in, would she be suffocated?YES! Was the gas of a particular colour?noWas she expecting to enter a room of noxious gas? she didn't think there was anything to worry about, she didn't think there was really any danger from entering the room
which would smell if present? no,there would have been no smell
Was the gas that killed her oxygen?um..see above answers, BUT its not a complete no,oxygen did in some way contribute to her death

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anyone want a hint? or not yet?

Post Number: 525
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No not yet!
The flashing she expected to see--a warning indicating danger? Were the lights faulty?
Did the room contain anything else besides nitrogen? Was the room a nitrogen tank?

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flashing she expected to see--a warning indicating danger?YES!! Were the lights faulty? yes!
Did the room contain anything else besides nitrogen?you mean like anything else that was dangerous? if yes, then no. if you mean anything else at all, such as objects or equipment, then yes. Was the room a nitrogen tank?no...but explore
Plebeian (Plebeian)

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nitrogen itself I don't think is capable of killing someone, but was the warning light an indicator of a lack of oxygen in the air? Or some contaminent in the nitorgen?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like an air lock to me, something like? Or do I read too much science fiction?

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nitrogen itself I don't think is capable of killing someone/b{well, no but it is the presence of the nitrogen 'variant'that caused the death. if there was none of this in the room, she would not have died} but was the warning light an indicator of a lack of oxygen in the air?yes!!, and remember, she was expecting this light/indicator to be activated and flashing/alarm but it was not.. Or some contaminent in the nitorgen?no

I think this calls for a .........

* SPOYLA *
I WILL POST LATER TONIGHT OR TOMORROW MORNING!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: