[Dietmar] New song Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2006 » [Dietmar] New song « Previous Next »

Feenwelt (Feenwelt)
Username: Feenwelt

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess, it's time someone composes another song about it.
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The song about being 64 - Paul McCartney did not expect to be going through a bitter divorce at that age?

Will you still be sending me a Valentine,birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three,would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, but nice idea
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a song about it already?
Is it about a person?
Is it about a time of year?
Is it about an event?
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there is an existing song, which is out of date?
Is the composer of this song relevant?
Is the type of music relevant? classical? rock/pop? jazz/blues? folk?
Are the instruments used relevant?
Are the lyrics relevant? or rather the melody?
Will the lyrics have to be changed? the melody?
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you Dietmar!

"it" =
something international?
something german?

an event?
a calendar event?
a competition?
an issue?
a protest?
a relationship?
Hipsterzbeware (Hipsterzbeware)
Username: Hipsterzbeware

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the song relate to a specific time that has already passed (like '1999')?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martinfg (Martinfg)
Is there a song about it already? yesish
Is it about a person? no
Is it about a time of year? no
Is it about an event? no

Tobasi (Tobasi)
So there is an existing song, which is out of date? hmmm, not out of date, no. but there is an existing song
Is the composer of this song relevant? no
Is the type of music relevant? classical? rock/pop? jazz/blues? folk? not really
Are the instruments used relevant? no
Are the lyrics relevant? yes or rather the melody? no
Will the lyrics have to be changed? yes the melody? no

Beroean (Beroean)
Good to see you Dietmar! Good to be back, Simon, although I can't promise how long.

"it" =
something international?
something german? german

an event?
a calendar event?
a competition?
an issue?
a protest?
a relationship? no to these

Hipsterzbeware (Hipsterzbeware)
Does the song relate to a specific time that has already passed (like '1999')? not like this, no.
Mani (Mani)
Username: Mani

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this thought of yours ("I guess, it's time someone composes another song about it") completely serious? Or is it more of a joke?

Is this related to something you read? Or something you saw?

(My current hyphothesis involves the song "O Tannenbaum" and you reading about some new genetically modified species of christmas tree which grows a lot faster but which only is green during the winter...)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does 'it' involve people? animals? objects?

A new song has to be composed because of evolution in technology? in society? because of an (historical?) event?

Would only one word have to be replaced? expressions? the complete lyrics?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)
Username: Judgedeadd

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with anthem? Berlin Wall? Ideology?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mani:
Is this thought of yours ("I guess, it's time someone composes another song about it") completely serious? Or is it more of a joke? It is serious

Is this related to something you read? Or something you saw? both

(My current hyphothesis involves the song "O Tannenbaum" and you reading about some new genetically modified species of christmas tree which grows a lot faster but which only is green during the winter...) sigh, another good puzzle lost. no.

Tobasi (Tobasi)
Does 'it' involve people? yes animals? yes objects? yes

A new song has to be composed because of evolution in technology? in society? <-- this one because of an (historical?) event?

Would only one word have to be replaced? well, this is hard to define. The exact words are not relevant, it's rather the idea behind it. expressions? the complete lyrics?

Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)
Anything to do with anthem? Berlin Wall? Ideology? it has to do with all 3 of them, but that would be misleading
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with communism? Keeping the red flag flying?
Brightkite (Brightkite)
Username: Brightkite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pink floyd, the wall?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne (Lynne)

Anything to do with communism? Keeping the red flag flying? no

Brightkite (Brightkite)
pink floyd, the wall? no
Beroean (Beroean)
Username: Beroean

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phrase "the Fatherland" relevant?
Is it to do with German culture in general?
Something from history?
Some German values?
Brightkite (Brightkite)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was about to say, 'lucy in the sky with diamonds'by the beatles-referring lsd not anymore around but it does definetly have sth to do with German, you say, right?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is it the song itself that talks about both people, animals and objects?

Or is it just that all these three kinds of entities are involved in the puzzle in general?

Any specific number of people, animals and objects?
If yes, how many of each of these?

Any specific species of animal? If so: Domestic or wild? Mammal? Reptile? Amphibious? Bird? Fish? Marsupial? Bacteria? Virus? Non-vertebrate?

The social change which has made the song text problematic today: can this change be traced to a specific event? Or some more long-time development and change? If a specific event, when approximately did this event occur?

When, approximately, was the song text written?
Brightkite (Brightkite)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PET:-) shop boys-go west?where the skies are blue and life is peaceful on a promised land... where the air is free...is there anywhere the air is free nowadays?is the west peaceful anymore?
if not...related with the western society?values?corruption?when was it composed?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beroean (Beroean)
Is the phrase "the Fatherland" relevant? no
Is it to do with German culture in general? not in general, no
Something from history? no
Some German values? hmmm... not specific German

Brightkite (Brightkite)
was about to say, 'lucy in the sky with diamonds'by the beatles-referring lsd not anymore around no but it does definetly have sth to do with German, you say, right? this particular song has something to do with something german, yes

Mani (Mani)
So is it the song itself that talks about both people, animals and objects? no, the song talks about something that also contains people etc.

Or is it just that all these three kinds of entities are involved in the puzzle in general? FA, they are not involved in special

The social change which has made the song text problematic today: can this change be traced to a specific event? Or some more long-time development and change? If a specific event, when approximately did this event occur? a long-time development over the last 10 to 20 years or so

When, approximately, was the song text written? at the end of the 19th century

Brightkite (Brightkite)
PET shop boys-go west? (...) no
if not...related with the western society? values?corruption? it is related to values, yes when was it composed? see above
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a well known song outside of Germany?
Was the composer German?
Was it written in German? Has it been translated? Do we have an English version of it?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne:
Is it a well known song outside of Germany? no. Not even within Germany. I've heard of this song a few days ago for the first time.
Was the composer German? yes
Was it written in German? yes Has it been translated? I don't think so Do we have an English version of it? no
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the song text become "politically incorrect"?

Was there some recent discussion of this song in media? Or even controversy? Due to the text having become problematic?

Does the song contain potentially problematic references to any the following: race? racism? women's rights? how women are regarded generally? or how men are regarded generally? men's/women's roles? gay people? gender in some other way? The environment? The world? imperialism? colonialism? child rearing? children's rights? love? war? disabled people? conservatism? traditions? customs? taxes? death? economy? history? elderly people? drugs? alcohol? freedom? abortion? religion? atheism? ehm...

And you believe that there is despite all a need for some song about the general subject matter of this song?

Is the song more known in certain parts of Germany? Former East Germany?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mani:
Has the song text become "politically incorrect"? no

Was there some recent discussion of this song in media? not recent, no Or even controversy? not recently Due to the text having become problematic? yes

Does the song contain potentially problematic references to any the following: race? racism? women's rights? how women are regarded generally? or how men are regarded generally? men's/women's roles? gay people? gender in some other way? The environment? The world? imperialism? colonialism? child rearing? children's rights? love? war? disabled people? conservatism? traditions? customs? taxes? death? economy? history? elderly people? drugs? alcohol? freedom? abortion? religion? atheism? ehm... great list, thank you. Amongst others, it is about: men, women, maybe gay people, traditions, customs, drugs, alcohol and freedom. Or in short: This song has to do with all people's amusements one could think of. At that time, it was mainly sung about "dance" and "kissing". But this is not "it" in the puzzle title.

And you believe that there is despite all a need for some song about the general subject matter of this song? yes

Is the song more known in certain parts of Germany? YES Former East Germany? partly (!)
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've already said that it's partly to do with the Berlin wall (which we are visiting in a couple of weeks time) so is the song more known on the old border? Checkpoint Charlie?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps it's mostly known in Berlin? I.e. both East and West Berlin? If so, could the song be said to be about Berlin? Perhaps Berlin is even "it"?

Here are some more questions based on that hypothesis: Does the song text's becoming problematic have something to do with the reunification of Germany? (That could be called a specific event, though, something which you said wasn't involved here)

Something about the (cultural) differences between (people in) East and West Germany... Oh wait, it was written in the 19th century... forget about that thought...

Perhaps it has to do with some other geographical area than Berlin, which was also previously divided between East and West Germany?

'At that time, it was mainly sung about "dance" and "kissing".' Does "at that time" refer to the 19th century? Or to the time just before the last 10-20 years? Or to all the time since the creation of the song text except the 10-20 year period?

Does the song have a lot of verses, all according to a similar pattern? Can more verses easily be improvised? Does such reinvention of text occur often? and pretty spontanely?

Is it a drinking song? Or at least mostly sung while "partying"?

Some voice in my back-head keeps repeating the title "Berlin, the town of my dreams" (i.e. something like "Berlin, Stadt meine Träume"). But actually I think my backhead is confused; that one's about Wien, right?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne:
You've already said that it's partly to do with the Berlin wall (which we are visiting in a couple of weeks time) so is the song more known on the old border? Checkpoint Charlie? Maybe my answer was misleading. But Mani has it...

Mani (Mani)
Perhaps it's mostly known in Berlin? I.e. both East and West Berlin? YES, that's it. But nothing to do with the wall, sorry, Lynne.
If so, could the song be said to be about Berlin? yope Perhaps Berlin is even "it"? yope to yesish

Here are some more questions based on that hypothesis: Does the song text's becoming problematic have something to do with the reunification of Germany? no

Something about the (cultural) differences between (people in) East and West Germany... Oh wait, it was written in the 19th century... forget about that thought... already forgotten

Perhaps it has to do with some other geographical area than Berlin, which was also previously divided between East and West Germany? no

'At that time, it was mainly sung about "dance" and "kissing".' Does "at that time" refer to the 19th century? yes Or to the time just before the last 10-20 years? Or to all the time since the creation of the song text except the 10-20 year period? what I meant was: "kissing" and "dancing" were at that time the most obscene topics one could sing freely about. Today the text would probably be more rude.

Does the song have a lot of verses, all according to a similar pattern? yes Can more verses easily be improvised? yes Does such reinvention of text occur often? Irrelevant and pretty spontanely? irrelevant

Is it a drinking song? Or at least mostly sung while "partying"? yes, but not in the first place

Some voice in my back-head keeps repeating the title "Berlin, the town of my dreams" (i.e. something like "Berlin, Stadt meine Träume"). But actually I think my backhead is confused; that one's about Wien, right? "Wien, Du Stadt meiner Träume"... nothing to do with this song
Brightkite (Brightkite)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

related to the fast growth in German population? being united, one nation under one flag? being unique? the most beautiful city? Berlin being the richest city in Germany or Europe? the most crowded area?the greenest city?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brightkite:
related to the fast growth in German population? being united, one nation under one flag? being unique? the most beautiful city? Berlin being the richest city in Germany or Europe? the most crowded area?the greenest city? none of these, sorry
Shiftyape (Shiftyape)
Username: Shiftyape

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surly not "Springtime for Hitler" from, "The Producers"? ;-)
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no

Recap:
I guess, it's time someone composes another song about it.

There was a song at the end of the 19th century in Germany. The song is fairly unknown, even to germans. It is about something that is yesish-to-yope-ly Berlin.
The text contained all kinds of vice. I think, it should be sung again, maybe with a minor change of the text.

It has nothing to do with german politics, any World War or The Wall. Theoretically, this could have happened in any other country.
Cookie (Cookie)
Username: Cookie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dietmar!

How did you hear about the song the first time?
Television?
Radio?
Friends?
Read about it in a book?
Did you hear the song or did you first hear about it?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Lizzie, still here? :-)

I have never heard this song, just read about it in the internet.
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am back after a long break. Just too much work to do...
But I was happy to see that you are still there

Would it help to find out on what kind of site you read about the song?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
Would it help to find out on what kind of site you read about the song?
yes, because there is the whole story listed. :-) So, I won't tell you anything about that site.
This has been the first time here again since a few months for me. I am only a rare guest nowadays.
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I was lucky to meet you here!

I didn't intend to ask you about the site. I just wanted to know if it is worth exploring in that direction.
Is it a history-related site? Music-related? Related to a specific person? A specific group of people?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
Is it a history-related site? Music-related? Related to a specific person? A specific group of people? It is history related.
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But the site is not part of wikipedia?
If it is an own history related site: Does it provide general information about the time when the song was composed?
Was the song well-known in that time?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
But the site is not part of wikipedia? it can be found in Wikipedia, too. What can't?
If it is an own history related site: Does it provide general information about the time when the song was composed? no
Was the song well-known in that time? yope. It was known in some region
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Above you say that on the site "the whole story" is listed. So there is a story behind the song?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes.
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something happen in real life and a composer made a song out of it?
Is the composer well-known?
Is the story well-known?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
Did something happen in real life and a composer made a song out of it?
Is the composer well-known?
Is the story well-known? no to all, sorry
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to find out the story behind the song?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to find out the story behind the song? ahem, yes. That's what this puzzle is about. :-)
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The region where the song was well-known: Prussia?
The song was about all kinds of vice. Did the lyrics concern them as something good? something evil? or just tell about it? Are specific persons named in the lyrics? Like "old frederic likes to kiss and tell" and people could know that the emperor was meant?
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "Berlin" in the title of the song? Is the song something like a couplet? Or from an opera/ operetta/ musical comedy?
Does the song tell a story or is the story about why it was composed?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
The region where the song was well-known: Prussia? yes, a part of...
The song was about all kinds of vice. Did the lyrics concern them as something good? yesish something evil? no or just tell about it? yes Are specific persons named in the lyrics? no Is the word "Berlin" in the title of the song? no, but you are close Is the song something like a couplet? yes. good!Or from an opera/ operetta/ musical comedy? no
Does the song tell a story or is the story about why it was composed? hmmm, hard to answer. The song rather tells a story.
Hint:You still don't have the exact location.
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the location a part of Berlin? Kreuzberg? Near Berlin? Potsdam?
Prussia was so large...
Does the song tell a story about a couple? About people in that location in general?
Did something in that location change that the song should be changed? Or did the change happen in a larger area?
That East and West-Germany are reunited was not relevant, right?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the location a part of Berlin? YES! Kreuzberg? Near Berlin? Potsdam? none of these, sorry
Prussia was so large...
Does the song tell a story about a couple? no About people in that location in general? YES! now you're getting somewhere
Did something in that location change that the song should be changed? no, but... better make 2 questions out of this one Or did the change happen in a larger area? no
That East and West-Germany are reunited was not relevant, right? right
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, I just read my last but one post. It's no use writing a hint in white in the new forum. :-)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So which part of Berlin: Mitte? Prenzlauer Berg? Friedrichshain? Treptow? Wedding? Weissensee? Mahrzahn? Lichtenberg? Köpenick? Pankow? Neukölln? Tiergarten? Charlottenburg? Spandau? Wilmersdorf? Steglitz? Reinickendorf? Mariendorf? Zehlendorf? Schöneberg?
If none of those is it north? west? south? east? of Mitte?
Does the song concern one of these parts of Berlin? or still more specifically one street? one building? monument? park? etc. in this area?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tobasi:
So which part of Berlin: (...)? it's Neukölln

Does the song concern one of these parts of Berlin? or still more specifically one street? one building? monument? park? etc. in this area? it is about the district of Neukölln
Cookie (Cookie)

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word Neukölln in the title?
Or should it be in the title?
Did Neukölln change so much that the song does not fit to that area any more?
Do differenz people live there?
Are there different buildings? Or did a park disappear that the song refers to?
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, when the song was composed, Neukölln was not yet part of Berlin. Is this relevant?

Is the fact relevant that the name Neukölln was created to mitigate the somewhat bad reputation of the town's previous name?

(.. the name "Rieke" springs to mind ..)

Is the idea that today Neukölln again has gained a difficult reputation (unjustified) and someone should write another song about it, to get it renamed once again?
Feenwelt (Feenwelt)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookie:
Is the word Neukölln in the title? no
Or should it be in the title? of which one?
Did Neukölln change so much that the song does not fit to that area any more? hmmm, yope, rephrase
Do differenz people live there? yes, but irr
Are there different buildings? yes, but irr Or did a park disappear that the song refers to? no

Sundowner:
Hey, Jens, nice to see you again!
So, when the song was composed, Neukölln was not yet part of Berlin. yes Is this relevant? no

Is the fact relevant that the name Neukölln was created to mitigate the somewhat bad reputation of the town's previous name? YES

(.. the name "Rieke" springs to mind ..)
exactly
Is the idea that today Neukölln again has gained a difficult reputation (unjustified) and someone should write another song about it, to get it renamed once again? that's a

***SPOILER***
Rixdorf, today named Neukölln, is a district of Berlin. In the late 19th century, it was a quarter of pure amusement, similar to the "Reeperbahn" in Hamburg. Since 1880, a popular song spread amongst the Berlin people, which mocked about Rixdorf being a district where you just go to have ... well... fun.
This came along with the fact that the name itself was felt as wrong. It was too big for a "dorf" (village) meanwhile, and the first syllable "Rix" reminded already in the 19th century to a dirty word of... well... doing it for yourself.
So it was decided to rename the district to Neukölln. And really, the bad reputation vanished. After a few years, the song was not heard anymore and the gossip found other victims.

Today, Neukölln again has a very bad reputation. If unjustified, as Sundowner states, or not, is argueable. It is at least a multinational district with a high criminal rate and all kinds of social problems. It made the headlines especially this year with many cases of juvenile delinquency.

Maybe it's time someone composes another song about it.
It has helped once...

Thanks for solving this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: