[JudgeDeadd] Peculiar clock Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2006 » [JudgeDeadd] Peculiar clock « Previous Next »

Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)
Username: Judgedeadd

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a rather unusual clock.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Do you use it to tell the time?
Can you tell the time of day from it?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 331
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use it to tell the time? Yes
Can you tell the time of day from it? Yesish
Mani (Mani)
Username: Mani

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something of which one would normally not think about the fact that it could be used to measure time?

What of the following could it be used to measure in an acceptably accurate way: Nanoseconds? Microseconds? Milliseconds? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Thousands of years? Millions of years? Billions of years?

Did you construct it yourself? Partly construct it? Or at least in some way do some work in order to make it usable as a clock? Did it have to become constructed by someone? Or was it a natural occurence?

Was it initially intended to be a clock?

Is/was it partly or wholly something mechanical? Something electrical? Biological? Something to do with the sun? Chemical? Something to do with radioactivity? Astronomical? Geological? Mental? Mathematical? Sociological (i.e. somethingt to do with people)? Something to do with gravity? Something to do with the sun? Something to do with properties of certain substances?

Does it still exist? Does it still exist "as a clock"? If not, for how long was it usable as a clock?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something of which one would normally not think about the fact that it could be used to measure time? Yes

What of the following could it be used to measure in an acceptably accurate way: Nanoseconds? Microseconds? Milliseconds? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Thousands of years? Millions of years? Billions of years? Minutes

Did you construct it yourself? No Partly construct it? No Or at least in some way do some work in order to make it usable as a clock? No Did it have to become constructed by someone? Yes Or was it a natural occurence? No

Was it initially intended to be a clock? No

Is/was it partly or wholly something mechanical? YesSomething electrical? Maybe Biological? No Something to do with the sun? No Chemical? Yope Something to do with radioactivity? No Astronomical? No Geological? No Mental? No Mathematical? No Sociological (i.e. somethingt to do with people)? Noish Something to do with gravity? No Something to do with the sun? No Something to do with properties of certain substances? Noish

Does it still exist? Yes Does it still exist "as a clock"? Yes
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something that can be normally found in a home? A workplace? A "recreation location"?

Is it made in a factory?

Which of the following materials does it contain? Wood? Stone? Ceramics? Iron? Steel? Copper? Aluminium? Lead? Mercury? Plastic? Water? Gold? Silver? Oil? Petrol? Some acid? Ok, that's perhaps enough for now.

Where did you use this as a clock: A workplace? A "recreation location"?

Have you used it as a clock: Once? Several times?
Do you see any circumstances in which it would be useful for you to use it as a clock again?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something that can be normally found in a home? No A workplace? Yope A "recreation location"? Yope

Is it made in a factory? Yes

Which of the following materials does it contain? Wood? Stone? Ceramics? Iron? Steel? Copper? Aluminium? Lead? Mercury? Plastic? Water? Gold? Silver? Oil? Petrol? Some acid? Ok, that's perhaps enough for now. Steel, petrol

Where did you use this as a clock: A workplace? A "recreation location"? None

Have you used it as a clock: Once? Yes Several times? No
Do you see any circumstances in which it would be useful for you to use it as a clock again? Yes
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Approximate size of the thing: Microscopical? One centimeter? Five centimeters? 10 cm? 20 cm? ... etc. up to 500 billions of light years.

Is it some kind of vehicle? Or some kind of container?

Hmm, where could this have taken place: In some public location? Cityscape? In a street? Gas/petrol station?

It is normally used for something else, right? Is it (mostly) used as part of some paid work? Or more recreationally? Or as part of some routine stuff which one has to do as a private person?

Are you sure it doesn't contain some plastics, copper or other of the materials I listed, too?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Approximate size of the thing: Microscopical? One centimeter? Five centimeters? 10 cm? 20 cm? ... etc. up to 500 billions of light years. About 5-10 m

Is it some kind of vehicle? Yes Or some kind of container? No

Hmm, where could this have taken place: In some public location? Yes Cityscape? Yes In a street? Yes Gas/petrol station? No

It is normally used for something else, right? Yes Is it (mostly) used as part of some paid work? Yes Or more recreationally? No Or as part of some routine stuff which one has to do as a private person? Yes

Are you sure it doesn't contain some plastics, copper or other of the materials I listed, too? Maybe it does; I don't know very much specific things about its exact construction.
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Car? Bus? Lorry? Truck? Van? Airplane? Tank car?

Were you in the vehicle? Or outside in the street? Or you saw it through a window?

Does it have to do with a certain vehicle coming and going according to a time table? A bus? Or at least being quite regular in when it appears at different locations?

Or is it some other property of the vehicle that is being made use of when reading the time?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Car? Bus? Yes Lorry? Truck? Van? Airplane? Tank car? No to rest

Were you in the vehicle? No Or outside in the street? Yes Or you saw it through a window? No

Does it have to do with a certain vehicle coming and going according to a time table? Yes A bus? Yes Or at least being quite regular in when it appears at different locations? Yes, see above

Or is it some other property of the vehicle that is being made use of when reading the time? No
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so is the mystery basically solved then?

Otherwise, here are some more questions?

So you live in a place where the buses are seldom late, then?

Do you know the time table by heart? Or do you carry one with you?

Don't you normally wear a watch? Or at least a mobile phone with a clock in it? If you usually do carry some time-measurement device, do we need to figure out why you didn't have some other clock at hand at this particular moment?

Finally, one comment: I'm not particularly interested in cars or buses or stuff like that, but I do know that they usually have some part made of plastic, copper (electric wires), and many other materials in them... ;)
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so is the mystery basically solved then? Yes

Otherwise, here are some more questions? No

So you live in a place where the buses are seldom late, then? Well... truth to be told, not really...

Do you know the time table by heart? No Or do you carry one with you? No

Don't you normally wear a watch? No, I don't wear Or at least a mobile phone with a clock in it? No If you usually do carry some time-measurement device, do we need to figure out why you didn't have some other clock at hand at this particular moment? No

Finally, one comment: I'm not particularly interested in cars or buses or stuff like that, but I do know that they usually have some part made of plastic, copper (electric wires), and many other materials in them... ;) Yesish :-)
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume that this had been solved...

***SPOILER***

I was passing near a bus stop. I knew it was about 16:30, but didn't know what exactly time it was. Suddenly, a bus came and stopped and the bus stop. I looked into the schedule that was posted in the stop and discovered that the bus was scheduled to come at 16:39. Now I knew what the time was.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: