[Lynne] The Challenge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2006 » [Lynne] The Challenge « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would wager that none of you here could add something different to something I already have. But if I'm wrong and you think you can, just let me know when you are sure of it.
Mani (Mani)
Username: Mani

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would add a fish:

A completely ordinary fish

Does it have this already?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, then how about this weird Lego mascot:

Weird lego mascot
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps the temple of Solomon:

temple
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or the universe:

a galaxy

(I believe this image shows just a tiny detail of the actual universe)
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

excellent tries, but no cigar - sorry! :-)
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, if you know why you can't add that something different, tell me what it is
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have everything?

If I add, to your something, 'the property of lacking the temple of Solomon'?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:01 am:
You have everything? no

If I add, to your something, 'the property of lacking the temple of Solomon'? no, the analogy which I think you're referring to doesn't fit my 'something'
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or if I first add 'Nothing' to your something.

Then I can add anything to it, since now 'it has nothing' and hence it lacks everything.

But then on the other hand, if 'nothing' is a thing which can be added to something, then of course 'everything' contains the thing 'nothing' right from the beginning. But how can everything contain nothing?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps your something is 'sameness' or 'similarity' or something like that.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:08 am:
Or if I first add 'Nothing' to your something. no, that wouldn't work

Then I can add anything to it, since now 'it has nothing' and hence it lacks everything. no, this is a specific something

But then on the other hand, if 'nothing' is a thing which can be added to something, then of course 'everything' contains the thing 'nothing' right from the beginning. But how can everything contain nothing? whatever :-)

Perhaps your something is 'sameness' or 'similarity' or something like that. nope
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In your last answer, do you mean nope or simply no?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In your last answer, do you mean nope or simply no? nope is just a friendly no, not to be confused with yope that is a combined nope/friendly and yes/definitely
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your something 'an unshakably good temper'?

Is your something 'persisting stubbornness in believing that nothing can be added to your something'?

Is your something something tangible?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your something 'an unshakably good temper'? no

Is your something 'persisting stubbornness in believing that nothing can be added to your something'? no

Is your something something tangible?

Tangible is always difficult to define. It is tangible in more than one sense of the word
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the difficulty to add something different have to do with: 1) that those things which perhaps would be different aren't possible to add? 2) that most or all things do not add something different to it?

adding: does this mean: to include something in your something? or to put something together with your something? or just to compare it with your something?
Mani (Mani)

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it common for people to have the 'something' which you have? or to have the same kind of 'something'?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the difficulty to add something different have to do with: 1) that those things which perhaps would be different aren't possible to add? it's not impossible to add to it 2) that most or all things do not add something different to it? remember that it's a specific something that I have, so what gets added to it must fit the right criteria

adding: does this mean: to include something in your something? yes or to put something together with your something? no or just to compare it with your something? no

Is it common for people to have the 'something' which you have? yes. it's reasonably common or to have the same kind of 'something'? more people have been able to add to my something than actually have the same something themselves
Katy (Katy)
Username: Katy

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you always had this 'something'? In one form or another? In exactly the same form?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you always had this 'something'? no In one form or another? I've got two others in a different form, but they can be discounted totally for the purposes of the puzzle In exactly the same form?
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an opinion? Can you touch it? Could someone else see it? Would I be aware you had 'it' immediately on meeting you?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an opinion? no Can you touch it? no Could someone else see it? YES Would I be aware you had 'it' immediately on meeting you? no
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is it something that is with you all of the time? With another person? In your home?
Would I associate a colour or colours with it?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is it something that is with you all of the time? not 'with me' but it is permanent With another person? no In your home? yope
Would I associate a colour or colours with it? YES
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you are in your home, is it in your home? Always in the same room as you? Is the colour relevant? Would it always be the same colour or would it change? Do I have one?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you are in your home, is it in your home? yope Always in the same room as you? yope Is the colour relevant? yes Would it always be the same colour or would it change? it would change Do I have one? Not that I know of, but you could well do
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have a size?
When did you get it? As a child? Older? At a significant event in your life?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3180
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have a size? yes, but that changes as it gets added to
When did you get it? As a child? Older? At a significant event in your life? few days ago
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 705
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynne :-)

is it a collection of somethings? anything to do with miniature things?

can you smell it? hear it?

by saying that we couldn't add to it do you mean that it is very unlikely we would be able to think of something that could be added? or that we are unlikely to own something that could be added? or that we are unlikely to be able to get hold of something that could be added? or that we would be unlikely to be able to make something that can be added?

is our lack of knowledge a factor here? our lack of imagination?

can you add something to it? does one need a certain skill to add something?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynne :-) Hiya Hannah!

is it a collection of somethings? yes, I guess you could call it that anything to do with miniature things? no but there is a connection there

can you smell it? hear it? no to both

by saying that we couldn't add to it do you mean that it is very unlikely we would be able to think of something that could be added? no, you just wouldn't be able to do it however hard you thinked or thunked or that we are unlikely to own something that could be added? it's not something you yourself would own or that we are unlikely to be able to get hold of something that could be added? no, it's not something that you can 'get hold of' or that we would be unlikely to be able to make something that can be added? no, you can't make it

is our lack of knowledge a factor here? no our lack of imagination? no

can you add something to it? me personally? I could once, but not any more does one need a certain skill to add something? no
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

grey hair?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3183
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

grey hair? LOL, no - my hair is brown, every single strand!

grey hair is hereditary - you get it from your kids
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I have one?
Not that I know of, but you could well do

Assume I do - could I add mine to yours? Would I then not have one? WOuld you have two of them? Or twice as much?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3184
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I have one?
Not that I know of, but you could well do

Assume I do - could I add mine to yours? no Would I then not have one? no, they only belong to one person WOuld you have two of them? I couldn't have your's but I suppose I could have two but there's no point Or twice as much? no, they would just duplicate each other
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's nothing to do with your name is it?
If not, am I on the right track?
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the fact 'Lynne' can be spelt 'Lyn', 'Lynn' or 'Lynne' - and you have as much as possible?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's nothing to do with your name is it? no
If not, am I on the right track? no

Anything to do with the fact 'Lynne' can be spelt 'Lyn', 'Lynn' or 'Lynne' - and you have as much as possible? no - actually my sister in law is called Lynn (no E) and used to insist on calling me Linny. I HATED it! "But you have an E" Ugh!
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:D

I've just re-read the puzzle statement, was this meant to be more along the lines of a rulebreaker?
If not, anything to do with computers / the internet? A website? A blog? This thread?
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't compare my feeble attempt at a smilie gone wrong with the impressive images at the top of this thread!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just re-read the puzzle statement, was this meant to be more along the lines of a rulebreaker? no
If not, anything to do with computers / the internet? yes A website? yes! A blog? This thread?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3189
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't compare my feeble attempt at a smilie gone wrong with the impressive images at the top of this thread!
:-O
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you have a website (from my memory mini-mum.com? - the answer to Hannah)
And there's something relating to the site that we can't add to?
Anything to do with hits? Pages? Types of web programming language?
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And how do you do the smilies??
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you have a website (from my memory mini-mum.com? - the answer to Hannah)yes - it's easy to find the address!
And there's something relating to the site that we can't add to? correct
Anything to do with hits? yes with a big ish Pages? no Types of web programming language? no
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3192
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

: O = :-O
: ) = :-)
Take the space out
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-O
was using the D!

Number of visitors? Feedback?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a whole list of them under 'formatting' which you reach via the home page of this site
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3194
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:D - I can't make that into the same wide mouth grin

Number of visitors? no with an ish Feedback? no
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Different countries visitors come from?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3196
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Different countries visitors come from? Yes!

******* SPOILER *******

Can you add to my list? I have (at the time of writing) 57 countries represented in just 5 days. But if you can add another flag then I'd be very pleased. I'm like a kid collecting stamps, except that those visitors came without any artificial prompting from me. My site has been around for nearly 10 years and it comes up high in search engine rankings without me submitting it or whatever people do. I have loads of relevant links - artificial link farms can harm your ranking BTW. In fact, the 'incidental' section on Christmas which is there, draws more visitors from other countries than anything else.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and if you're reading this and wondering what my site is, then just look at my profile :-O
Katy (Katy)

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - 57 in 5 days! From the UK, I doubt I can add anything :-( Although maybe from my village...
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your village has declared UDI then perhaps a new flag will appear if you click there! At the very least there will be one more visitor listed against the Union Flag.
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean you don't get St. Andrew's flag...?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nah, just the Irish flag for southern Ireland, otherwise we're all lumped together

I've had to take the whole thing down because they upgraded the whole thing and it now uses Flash animation which freezes the browser. I was all set to start paying next week after my trial period was up, but the original version is no longer available for purchase. It really annoys me how everything has to be upgraded.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update - I've put it back on, but without the flags on every page. They're just on one page, but you can click through to it from any page. So if you do come from a country that's not already listed please click through to my site and add your flag!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: