[suido] What's in a name? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [suido] What's in a name? « Previous Next »

Suido (Suido)
Username: Suido

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur heard it correctly (how could he not?), but he didn't understand it.
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur --> h? a? m?

first it = second it ?

if so, it = something someone said?

The two he's in the puzzle are Arthur right?

When you say 'heard it correctly' do you mean he heard it clearly, but it made no sense to him?

So was it a language he didn't understand?

Does the title suggest some significance of the name 'Arthur' ?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur --> h? a? m? yes to all

first it = second it ? yes

if so, it = something someone said? yes

The two he's in the puzzle are Arthur right? yes

When you say 'heard it correctly' do you mean he heard it clearly, but it made no sense to him? yes

So was it a language he didn't understand? NO!!!

Does the title suggest some significance of the name 'Arthur' ?both the title and the name arthur are significant, but not related
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant because it hints that Arthur's name is relevant? Or is there more to it? Was it a name that he ddn't understand? Is Shakespeare relevant? A famous Arthur? King Arthur?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant because it hints that Arthur's name is relevant? Or is there more to it? there is more to it, the hint about Arthur's name was unintentional since the other relevance is far more important to the puzzle
Was it a name that he ddn't understand? yes
Is Shakespeare relevant? no A famous Arthur? yes, he should be known to members of this forum.King Arthur?no
Tanvishashikant (Tanvishashikant)
Username: Tanvishashikant

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur heard a name that he didn't understand, right? Did someone shout a name out loud to him? Did he hear a name that in some way is synonymous to his, but he didn't understand how?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur heard a name that he didn't understand, right?yes Did someone shoutno a name out loud to him?yes to everything except shout. Did he hear a name that in some way is synonymous to his, but he didn't understand how?no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Conan Doyle?

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the person who said the name out loud to him want to call out to Arthur? Or did he overhear the person calling someone else? Was he meant to overhear the name?

Did the name not make sense to him because the speaker had an accent of some sort? (ok, long shot, I know :-D)
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Conan Doyle?no

Did the person who said the name out loud to him want to call out to Arthur?IRR Or did he overhear the person calling someone else? IRR Was he meant to overhear the name? IRR, the other person is only relevant for saying the name. If no one had said it, there wouldn't be a puzzle. And then we'd all be sad :-(

Did the name not make sense to him because the speaker had an accent of some sort? (ok, long shot, I know :-D)no
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

arthur c clarke?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

arthur c clarke? no
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a homonym of arthur? perhaps author?

or are we looking for the name arthur?
was it a famous arthur? was it a real arthur or fictional? if fictional, from a book? movie?

arthur ashe?
arthur the aardvark (from children's picture books)?

did arthur think someone was speaking to him? about him? to someone else? about someone else?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a homonym of arthur? no perhaps author? no

or are we looking for the name arthur? no
was it a famous arthur? yes was it a real arthur or fictional? fictional if fictional, from a book? movie? both

arthur ashe? no
arthur the aardvark (from children's picture books)? no

did arthur think someone was speaking to him? yes, and he was correct
about him?no to someone else?no about someone else?no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Weasley? (From Harry Potter)
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Weasley? (From Harry Potter) no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Dent?
(I love Douglas Adams btw)
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Dent? YES
(I love Douglas Adams btw) he's not so bad... :-P
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Babel fish involved? (but you did say no to languages so I think not... worth a try though)

Did he hear the name of another character in "The Hitchiker's Guide?" If so, any of these?
Ford Prefect?
Trillian?
Zaphod Beeblebrox?
Marvin?
Slartibartfast?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Babel fish involved? YES(but you did say no to languages so I think not... worth a try though) always is

Did he hear the name of another character in "The Hitchiker's Guide?" no
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it in his ear?

If it wasn't in his ear, doesn't that mean that it was an alien (eg. Vogon) that had said the name, but he didn't understand it?

If it was in his ear, wouldn't he have been able to understand it?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it in his ear? yes

If it wasn't in his ear, doesn't that mean that it was an alien (eg. Vogon) that had said the name, but he didn't understand it? IRR, see above

If it was in his ear, wouldn't he have been able to understand it? yope
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

K what I remember is, if the babel fish is in your ear, it does some weird brain wave regurgitation that ends in you being able to understand stuff people say to you in other languages. Right?

So what I am assuming is, Arthur was able to hear it perfectly well, the sound of it was exact and coherent, but he didn't understand it. Right?

I'm stumped again... lateral limbo >.<
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

K what I remember is, if the babel fish is in your ear, it does some weird brain wave regurgitation that ends in you being able to understand stuff people say to you in other languages. Right? yes

So what I am assuming is, Arthur was able to hear it perfectly well, the sound of it was exact and coherent, but he didn't understand it. Right? yes

I'm stumped again... lateral limbo >.<
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing now all we have to do is identify what he heard?

If the babel fish wasn't in his ear, and someone had said the 'translated' version to him, would he have still not understood?

Is it likely, that anyone in Arthur's position would have also not understood what they heard?

What's confusing is, even names like Slartibartfast make no real sense, it's just a name though. What's to understand in a name?

Is there some problem or catch with the Babel fish, that makes it unable to 'decode' certain languages or sounds?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing now all we have to do is identify what he heard? yes, though the name itself won't make it apparent why he didn't understand, there is one other aspect

If the babel fish wasn't in his ear, and someone had said the 'translated' version to him, would he have still not understood? yes. there are factors here worth exploring

Is it likely, that anyone in Arthur's position would have also not understood what they heard? yes. I only used Arthur because I needed the babelfish in the puzzle, and his name was a little less obvious than Ford or Zaphod.

What's confusing is, even names like Slartibartfast make no real sense, it's just a name though. What's to understand in a name? not a yes/no question. I'm enjoying your confusion. :-P

Is there some problem or catch with the Babel fish, that makes it unable to 'decode' certain languages or sounds? no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so can I just check something, was all he heard one name? nothing else? was the name someone he knew? was it his name? was it the name of someone physically near to him? was the name of someone male? human? adult?

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have to understand the name to do something? Is it relevant why the name was said to him? Was he supposed to respond to the name in some manner? if yes, would he be able to respond only if he "understood" the name? Or the meaning of the name? Or something else that is denoted by the name?
Is it relevant where he is? Is he in a dangerous situation?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so can I just check something, yes was all he heard one name? one name is all that is relevant nothing else? no was the name someone he knew? FA was it his name? no was it the name of someone physically near to him? FA was the name of someone male? FA human? no adult? FA
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he have to understand the name to do something? no Is it relevant why the name was said to him? no
Was he supposed to respond to the name in some manner? no if yes, would he be able to respond only if he "understood" the name? Or the meaning of the name? Or something else that is denoted by the name? He was perfectly capable of responding, and probably would've said "What?"
However, you have touched on something relevant.

Is it relevant where he is? yes Is he in a dangerous situation? no

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the name said to him for a reason? Is it relevant what that reason is? Is it the name of a person, place, thing, animal? (I'm sorry if this has been asked before... I'm too sleepy to go over the posts again!)
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the name said to him for a reason? IRR Is it relevant what that reason is? IRR Is it the name of a person, place, thing, animal? It is the name of a place, and a thing (I'm sorry if this has been asked before... I'm too sleepy to go over the posts again!)it hasn't, and i'm surprised it's taken this long for such an obvious question
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the name of a real place? on earth? is the name earth?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

s it the name of a real place? yes on earth? yes is the name earth?no
Elness (Elness)
Username: Elness

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Eddie?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name Eddie? no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 924
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the place in Asia? Africa? North America? South America? Antarctica? Europe? Australia?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the place in Asia? Africa? North America? South America? Antarctica? Europe? Australia? Australia, but this is old news...
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the place in Asia? Africa? North America? South America? Antarctica? Europe? Australia? Europe and this is new news!!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH BLOOOOOOOOOPER. Sorry, getting my puzzles mixed for the first, and hopefully the last.
The previous answer should be EUROPE
EUROPE
EUROPE

Sorry Damia
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol ok then!!

is the place any of these? or in any of these?

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

United Kingdom
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is UK the name? or is it in the UK? if so is it in wales? scotland? england? ireland?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's in the UK, in England to be more precise.
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so we are looking for a name of a place in England that can also be a thing?

could it be...
Bath?
Eye?
Leek?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 198
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so we are looking for a name of a place in England yes that can also be a thing? not exactly

could it be...
Bath? no
Eye? no
Leek? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we looking for a one-word English town whose name is also: a verb? an adjective? an adverb? a proper noun? Would the name of the town be acceptable in (English) Scrabble? Does the name of the town sound similar to another relevant word in another language?

Is the town north of Birmingham? South of Birmingham?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we looking for a one-word English town whose name is also: a verb? an adjective? an adverb? a proper noun? Would the name of the town be acceptable in (English) Scrabble? Does the name of the town sound similar to another relevant word in another language? no to all, even disregarding the big FA

Is the town north of Birmingham? South of Birmingham? Again FA, but the place you seek is in fact north of Brum
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 930
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the place a city? town? village? local landmark?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the place a city? no town? no village? to be perfectly accurate, there is also a village named for... local landmark? one of these, and it was the name of one of these that Arthur heard.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 933
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

only landmarks I can think of right now are Blackpool/Blackpool tower? or the Angel of the North, tho I'm not sure about a village named after either of those
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

only landmarks I can think of right now are Blackpool/Blackpool tower? or the Angel of the North, tho I'm not sure about a village named after either of those No to both
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 943
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok still can't think of any, so which of these places is it closest to:

Leicester? Nottingham? Sheffield? Manchester? Leeds? York? Blackpool? Liverpool? is it close to the Scottish border?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leicester? Nottingham? Sheffield? Manchester? Leeds? York? Blackpool? Liverpool? is it close to the Scottish border? tis closer to the Scottish border than it is to any of the cities you listed
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the Tyne Bridge? Bamburgh Castle? Hadrian's Wall? Lindisfarne Priory? Holy Island?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 547
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parachuting in here but would it be Chester-le- Street?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the Tyne Bridge? Bamburgh Castle? Hadrian's Wall? Lindisfarne Priory? Holy Island? none of these

Parachuting in here but would it be Chester-le- Street? welcome, but it wouldn't
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it Cumbria way? Northumberland? Durham? Tyne and Wear? Teeside?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Berwick on Tweed?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it Cumbria way? yes Northumberland? Durham? Tyne and Wear? Teeside? no to rest

Berwick on Tweed? no
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did the babel fish make it into "Come Be away" ?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Old Man of Coniston? Scafell Pike [fishy]?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did the babel fish make it into "Come Be away" ? No. Just for clarification, the place/thing named is IN Cumbria

The Old Man of Coniston? Scafell Pike [fishy]? neither of these
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 973
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a national park? a castle? fort? Windermere?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it actually a lake? Or a structure of some sort? Is it man-made?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a national park? a castle? fort? Windermere? none of these

Is it actually a lake? Or a structure of some sort? Is it man-made? and none of these
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A mountain? The Pike of Blisco? Skiddaw? Helvellyn?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to Betws-Y-Coed on a geography trip with nug nd done!!
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

err was that relevant at all (saw that posted in wikipedia under Bowness-on-Windermere lol... made no sense to me so thought maybe Arthur didn't get it either)
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not unless Wales has suddenly been magically relocated...
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol @ Noob

is it in Allerdale? Barrow-in-Furness? Carlisle? Copeland? Eden? or South Lakeland?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A mountain? Noish The Pike of Blisco? Skiddaw? Helvellyn? None of these.

I went to Betws-Y-Coed on a geography trip with nug nd done!! Bravo. Have a gold star.

err was that relevant at all (saw that posted in wikipedia under Bowness-on-Windermere lol... made no sense to me so thought maybe Arthur didn't get it either) Well, it's whistled over the top of my head was well, even without the interference of a babelfish. I think it's safe to say IRR.

Not unless Wales has suddenly been magically relocated... A whole pod? Or species? I think the whalers and the greens will unite in saying that relocation is a bad idea.

Sorry about that. Should have stopped myself at the preview page.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plaid Cymru might have something to say as well...

Just to make sure that I am thinking along the right lines... Arthur heard the name of a place in Cumbria? but the Babelfish thought it was a foreign language and translated it?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol @ Noob indeed

is it in Allerdale? Barrow-in-Furness? Carlisle? Copeland? Eden? or South Lakeland? Allerdale
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure that I am thinking along the right lines... Arthur heard the name of a place in Cumbria? Yes but the Babelfish thought it was a foreign language and translated it? Yope. This is ridiculously close to being solved.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a hill?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aspatria?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a hill? yes

Aspatria? no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tute hill?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Belle Vue?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tute hill? no

Belle Vue? and no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wharrels Hill?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wharrels Hill? no. It might be worth exploring why Arthur couldn't understand the name, as Tsoram did above. There's a bit more to it than his summation.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so did the Babel fish mistranslate it? change it into another language? does the name have a double meaning?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a foreign name? or a name that is the native version of one that is different in English?

Did Arthur hear a name? a meaningless phrase?

Relevant what language the Babel fish thought it was translating from?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so did the Babel fish mistranslate it? no change it into another language? yes, to english as that is what Arthur can understand does the name have a double meaning? no, not in a single language

was it a foreign name? NO or a name that is the native version of one that is different in English? no

Did Arthur hear a name? he heard the translated name, so yes a meaningless phrase? not meaningless, not entirely sure if it would count as a phrase as such

Relevant what language the Babel fish thought it was translating from? to a certain extent, explore
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so the alien said the name of this hill in its language? which was correctly translated into english? do we need to know why the alien said this name? had Arthur heard of this place before?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so the alien what? alien? when? said the name of this hill in its language? definitely not which was correctly translated into english?
do we need to know why the alien said this name? why the name was said is IRR
had Arthur heard of this place before? arthur had never heard of this place, its only claim to fame is the reason for this puzzle. The whole alien thing is a FA (an FA?)
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh ok so a human said it in a different human language? and the fish correctly translated it? but something about the translation wasn't correct?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK...~Damia~ and I have different ideas... I thought the name was english, but capable of being mistaken for a combination (not necessarily a phrase) in a different language. The babel fish translated it faithfully into english, thus confusing Arthur...

French?
German?
dutch?
Norwegian?
Scots Gaelic?
Irish Gaelic?
Manx gaelic?
Welsh?
Cornish?
Spanish?
Portugese?
Italian?
Latin?
Greek?
Indo European Language?

Oh...does he hear something like river river? Mountain mountain? hill hill?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damia

oh ok so a human said it in a different human language? and the fish correctly translated it? but something about the translation wasn't correct? hmm, tough questions to answer, the name was said in English, as it would be said by the residents of the village of the same name, but the babelfish decided to translate the name, and did a perfect job of translating

Tsoram1970

OK...~Damia~ and I have different ideas... I thought the name was english, correct but capable of being mistaken for a combination (not necessarily a phrase) in a different language. yesish The babel fish translated it faithfully into english, thus confusing Arthur... this last part is perfect

None of that list are correct, and probably not worth exploring possible languages, I'll be using google for that information when I $poil. There is one final, small piece of information which is required about the name, a possibility which has been overlooked so far. I've had to word many of my answers very carefully to avoid giving it away.

Oh...does he hear something like river river? Mountain mountain? hill hill? YES, the last one, it is a hill after all. But that's not all he hears...
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 995
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol ok so just so I've got this straight, it takes this english name, assumes its in a different language and re-translates it into english? are we looking for 3 words its translated into? 4? 5?

does the first hill come at the beginning? middle? does the second hill come at the end? are both hills together?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol ok so just so I've got this straight, it takes this english name, assumes its in a different language and re-translates it into english? YES are we looking for 3 words its translated into? 4? 5? 4

does the first hill come at the beginning? middle? does the second hill come at the end? are both hills together? yes to all. that should be a giveaway :-P
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

huh? hill hill hill hill???
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bah found it... through no skill of mine just so you know.... answer in ROT13

Gbecraubj Uvyy
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent puzzle though Suido! Thanks!
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

btw gz on 1000 posts damia :D ... looking fwd to a puzzle from you!
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tx! didn't even notice!! :o)
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of actually being called Hillhill, is one of the words another name for hill (eg I heard about a hill called Penn Hill, Penn being (I think) an old english word for hill)? Was the translation from Old English (or Anglo Saxon, whatever it's called) into modern English?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd imagine that the real name would have three parts all of which can seperately be translated as hill, followed by the real word hill

so maybe if Penn was there something like PennPennPenn Hill - do we need to find the seperate bits?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~damia~

Post Number: 1000 nice work
huh? hill hill hill hill??? correct, this is what Arthur hears, and like you, he didn't understand it. Now all you have to do is get the name of the hill in question, or I can wrap it up...

Noobdogg

Bah found it... through no skill of mine just so you know.... answer in ROT13

Gbecraubj Uvyy Correct
Excellent puzzle though Suido! Thanks! Thankyou

Enjay

Instead of actually being called Hillhill, is one of the words another name for hill yes (eg I heard about a hill called Penn Hill, Penn being (I think) an old english word for hill)? Was the translation from Old English (or Anglo Saxon, whatever it's called) into modern English? exactly, I'll explain more below

~damia~

I'd imagine that the real name would have three parts all of which can seperately be translated as hill, followed by the real word hill you would imagine correctly then

so maybe if Penn was there something like PennPennPenn Hill - do we need to find the seperate bits? ___pen___ Hill is what you have so far, I can wrap this up unless you want to figure out the rest of the name, which you are doing a fine job of so far. The other two parts of the name do mean hill, one also in Old English, one in Celtic
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

acropolis, acclivity, ascent, bluff, butte, cliff, climb, cradle hill, down, drift, dune, elevation, eminence, esker, fell, foothill, gradient, headland, heap, height, highland, hillock, hilltop, hummock, inclination, incline, knoll, mesa, mound, mount, pile, precipice, prominence, promontory, protuberance, range, ridge, rise, rising ground, sastrugi, shock, slope, stack, summit, talus, tolt, tor, upland?

me, copy from a dictionary, never!! :oD
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

acropolis, acclivity, ascent, bluff, butte, cliff, climb, cradle hill, down, drift, dune, elevation, eminence, esker, fell, foothill, gradient, headland, heap, height, highland, hillock, hilltop, hummock, inclination, incline, knoll, mesa, mound, mount, pile, precipice, prominence, promontory, protuberance, range, ridge, rise, rising ground, sastrugi, shock, slope, stack, summit, talus, tolt, tor, upland? Torpen___ Hill, I guess the last part is a little older than a never-copied from dictionary. :-)
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 827
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slieve? Ben? cnoc? knock?
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slieve? Ben? cnoc? knock? none of these. If it's not solved by Monday I'll wrap it up, as it is now more of a guessing game than a riddle, and all the crucial details have been solved.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh well I typed in celtic word for hill into the search engine and one of the listings just happened to be for the full name of this place
Suido (Suido)

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

right, bugger it, I'm

*********SPOILING WITH A SPOILER********

Excellent work on this puzzle by Noobdogg, who nailed the Arthur Dent and babelfish parts, and Damia who puzzled through the rest alongside Tsoram who made the lateral leap to redundancies in names.

Arthur Dent, with Babelfish in ear, hears the name Torpenhow Hill. The babelfish, in all its wisdom, recognises that Tor, Pen and How in this context are all different languages, so it translates them. This resulted in Arthur hearing Hillhillhill Hill, which he didn't understand.

There is some debate as to the actual translation of these words, as pedantic nitpickers point out that a tor, a pen and a how are all types of hills, not simply hills. A hill is a hill (is a hill is a hill in this case), so I say this wonderful example of nominative redundancy is to be admired. This would most probably have come about by the local tribe calling their local hill "Hill"(Tor). The next bunch of people come along, probably with all sorts of nasty violence, and, hearing that the hill is called Tor, tack their own word for hill on the end: Tor Pen. And so on.

Other examples of nominative redundancies are Paraguay (river river) River, Sahara Desert and the La Brea Tar Pits.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice puzzle there!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: