[BeccaAnn] HAIKU (A Lateral Adventure... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2007 » [BeccaAnn] HAIKU (A Lateral Adventure) « Previous Next »

Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You awake to find yourself in a strange room. Other than a single door, the walls are blank. There is a triangular pillar in the center of the room.

Find your way out.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy birthday!

So then: this pillar. Is it a prism-type thing, like a toblerone bar standing on its end? Or more of a pyramid-type affair?

Have a good look at the sides of the pillar.

Check the door and ceiling. Any windows? What's the ground like? Sandy? Any carpeting or floorboards?
Abc (Abc)
Username: Abc

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the ceiling.
Look at pillar.
Look at the door.
Try to open the door.
Inventory.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy birthday! Thanks!

So then: this pillar. Is it a prism-type thing, like a toblerone bar standing on its end?yes. Three sides, from floor to ceiling Or more of a pyramid-type affair? no

Have a good look at the sides of the pillar.
Each side has an inscription on it.

Side 1:

J A N U A R Y
F E B R U A R Y
M A R C H
A P R I L
M A Y
J U N E
J U L Y
A U G U S T
S E P T E M B E R
O C T O B E R
N O V E M B E R
D E C E M B E R
Imagine that the letters are aligned in perfect columns, this is hard to accomplish in type!

Side 2:

1=?
2=7
3=23
4=8
5=16
6=7
7=24
8=18
9=?

Side 3:

Blunt force!
Violence, hit!
Greater than...

Boredom, for a change,
Winding down,
Eyelids lower...

Check the door and ceiling. Nothing on the ceiling, the door has four padlocks, all are locked. There is an inscription on the door as well:

"Written among many months
Are names of who might help you
Exit, with haiku riddles"

Any windows?no What's the ground like?White tile, no markings or cracks Sandy?no Any carpeting or floorboards?no

Look at the ceiling. Still nothing noteworthy
Look at pillar. See above
Look at the door. See above
Try to open the door. All padlocks are locked
Inventory. Nothing on you at all
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER! Already!

I mistyped, and lost the haiku format!
The incription on the door should read:

"Written among months
Are names of who might help you
Exit, with haiku riddles"
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Jason Coe a friend of yours?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Jason Coe a friend of yours?no, but as you mention the name "Jason" a man appears in the corner of the room. A key hangs around his neck.
Wildcard (Wildcard)
Username: Wildcard

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is your riddle, Jason?
Do you know Dott? or Jeri?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check:
the pillar
the floor
the walls
the door
the ceiling
the man
the whole room
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check if the man (Jason?) is willing to part with the key.
If not, ask him to try the key in the padlocks.
Try to pull the pillar loose from the floor and the ceiling. If successful, ask the man to assist you in using it as a ram against the door.
Mention August, Jan, April and June
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to the man now.
Ask him for the key real quick.
Then try the locked door

A haiku... Not sure why I'm doing this, but...
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey! It's been ages since you posted a lateral adventure! Thanks for inspiration!

I kind of know what a haiku is, but could someone please post what format it is in. 575? 576? I can't remember... Wikipedia isn't any good either.
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 743
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok--here are some names to try: say the name Bree. Also say Err. Say Brr! Say Ra (as in the sun god)...

I believe haiku is 17 syllables total...5, 7, 5...with one idea represented in the first two lines and a second idea represented in the last line--the last line being simlar but slightly different to give it a "pop." but the last i studied haiku was my senior year in college, so who knows if I remember it all!...
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is your riddle, Jason?
"Numbers two through eight
This many are greater than
One, and less than nine"

Do you know Dott? or Jeri? Jason smiles, and two women appear standing next to him. Each have keys around their necks.

check:
the pillar still the same
the floor still the same
the walls still the same
the door still the same
the ceiling still the same
the man He appears to have nothing on him other than the key.
the whole room Nothing new, except the people in it.

Check if the man (Jason?) is willing to part with the key.He shakes his head and repeats his riddle
If not, ask him to try the key in the padlocks. He shakes his head and repeats his riddle again
Try to pull the pillar loose from the floor and the ceiling.No luck, it's quite structurally sound If successful, ask the man to assist you in using it as a ram against the door.
Mention August, Jan, April and June Nothing happens. Apparently these are not among the people who can help.

Talk to the man now.
Ask him for the key real quick.
Then try the locked door
As before, Jason does nothing but repeat his riddle. It seems we need to solve it before we can get that key
A haiku... Not sure why I'm doing this, but...

Hey! It's been ages since you posted a lateral adventure!Has it been that long? Thanks for inspiration!Of course

I kind of know what a haiku is, but could someone please post what format it is in. 575?This, from my understanding 576? I can't remember... Wikipedia isn't any good either.
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, is the answer 7?

What is your puzzle Dott?
What is your puzzle Jeri?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, is the answer 7?He shakes his head, and repeats the puzzle again

What is your puzzle Dott?
"Solid, Liquid, Gas
From among the several states
This state is most dense"

What is your puzzle Jeri?
"When white flags are flown
In the blackness, after green
This color comes next"
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 744
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a Bree? Bree--do you have a haiku?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is the answer solid?
Is the answer New Jersey?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 745
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Jason: say the numbers 1-102 in order.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a Bree?Another woman appears Bree--do you have a haiku?
"Beneath the warm sun
Set dense rust on us if hurt
This is the first day"

Dott, is the answer solid?She shakes her head and repeats the riddle
Is the answer New Jersey?She shakes her head and repeats the riddle

To Jason: say the numbers 1-102 in order.
Oh, come now! At least TRY to solve the puzzle!

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The state of mind. :D:D

Infinity? Are you talking about counting numbers?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Bree: I have a guess here
hope I am on the right track.
Speak you of Eden?

To Jason: three?--numbers in the list that are more than one and less than 9. seven? numbers in general that are more than 1 and less than 9 don't worry I won't go through each number! : )
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blunt force!
Violence, hit!
Greater than... (Try asking Jason about a pen, a sword or silence.)

Boredom, for a change,
Winding down,
Eyelids lower... (Try asking Jason abour dark, sleep or sleepiness.)
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason is the answer 5? (just beacause its halfway between 1 and 9, 4 numbers less, 4 numbers greater than it)

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This STATE is the densest... Alaska? Texas?
Dense as in mass over volume? Or like in stupidity?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The state of mind. :D:D nope

Infinity?"No" Are you talking about counting numbers?"No"

To Bree: I have a guess here
hope I am on the right track.
Speak you of Eden? "No"

To Jason: three?"No"--numbers in the list that are more than one and less than 9. seven?"No" numbers in general that are more than 1 and less than 9 don't worry I won't go through each number! : )

Blunt force!
Violence, hit!
Greater than... (Try asking Jason about a pen, a sword or silence.) He looks confused, and shakes his head

Boredom, for a change,
Winding down,
Eyelids lower... (Try asking Jason abour dark, sleep or sleepiness.)Same response

Nice guesses, just not the right ones!

Jason is the answer 5?"No. (just beacause its halfway between 1 and 9, 4 numbers less, 4 numbers greater than it)

This STATE is the densest... Alaska?"No" Texas?"No"
Dense as in mass over volume?"In a sense" Or like in stupidity?"No."
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask Jeri if the colour is red? (I was thinking about racing flags - to stop if e.g. its to dark to race)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask Jeri if the colour is red?"No." (I was thinking about racing flags - to stop if e.g. its to dark to race)
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is it Mississippi (the state with the lowest average IQ)?
California, the state with the worst air quality?
Delaware, the diamond state?
New Hampshire, the granite state?

Does Yellow come after green, Jeri?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is it Mississippi (the state with the lowest average IQ)? "No."
California, the state with the worst air quality?"No."
Delaware, the diamond state?"No."
New Hampshire, the granite state? "No."

Does Yellow come after green, Jeri?"Yellow comes after green, but not directly after, so no."
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is it crystal (or crystalline)?
Or perhaps Quark-Gluon plasma?
Maybe it is a Bose-Einstein condensate? or a supersolid?

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The colors of a rainbow? Color spectrum? Is the color red?

"This is the first day"
Is there a second day? April's fools day? Is there an April?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't help but feel that the idea behind Jason's puzzle is to look at the list of numbers we have on side 2 of the wall, work out what the pattern is, then figure out what goes with 1 and what goes with 9 in order to be able to figure out how many numbers there are between them... unfortunately, I can't make any progress on actually figuring it out... does Jason look as though I'm on the right lines?
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 661
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, is the answer 3?

Jeri, is the green you speak of a light? A flag? A gable? A belt? A coach?
Zenith (Zenith)
Username: Zenith

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott? does it matter which the substance you refer to? is it liquid water? Or do you refer to other staes of matter? Plasma? Bose-Einstein condensate?
Or states of mind? Ideas for 'dense' state of mind:
DeepThought: pensive, contemplative, serene, asleep
Instinctive: angry, busy, distressed, nervous
Frivolous: playful, embarrassed, silly
SingleMinded: envious, determined, revengeful,
etc...
Abc (Abc)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott - is the answer neutronium? (Not that I have high hopes of being correct)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is it crystal (or crystalline)? "no."
Or perhaps Quark-Gluon plasma? "no"
Maybe it is a Bose-Einstein condensate? or a supersolid? "no, and no"
The colors of a rainbow?"yes" Color spectrum?"yes..." Is the color red?"yes, but can you tell me why this is the answer?"

"This is the first day"
Is there a second day?"yes" April's fools day?"no" Is there an April?"no"

I can't help but feel that the idea behind Jason's puzzle is to look at the list of numbers we have on side 2 of the wall, work out what the pattern is, then figure out what goes with 1 and what goes with 9 in order to be able to figure out how many numbers there are between them...I can't help but feel that you are right! unfortunately, I can't make any progress on actually figuring it out... does Jason look as though I'm on the right lines?Indeed he does.

Jason, is the answer 3?"no"

Jeri, is the green you speak of a light? A flag? A gable? A belt? A coach? "It is just green"

Dott? does it matter which the substance you refer to?"Am I referring to a substance?" is it liquid water?"no" Or do you refer to other staes of matter?"None but those I have mentioned" Plasma? Bose-Einstein condensate?
Or states of mind?"None of this" Ideas for 'dense' state of mind:
DeepThought: pensive, contemplative, serene, asleep
Instinctive: angry, busy, distressed, nervous
Frivolous: playful, embarrassed, silly
SingleMinded: envious, determined, revengeful,
etc...
"None of this is relevant"

Dott - is the answer neutronium?"No. (Not that I have high hopes of being correct)
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott is it a state in the United States of America?
Are the things that make it dense readily countable?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Jeri: Are you speaking of the color spectrum ROYGBV? Is blue the answer? Would it be the answer if it were in Haiku?

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Translating side 2 into alphabet...

GWHPGXR. Jason, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Or is it similar except I have to start on a different letter?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

closest I can get to a real word with side 2 is ?ndowney?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, does states refer to Nation States? or Micro States? Monaco? Bangladesh?
or States of the US? New Jersey? Rhode Island? Massachusetts?
States of Australia, even? Victoria? Tasmania?

is population density == density?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott is it a state in the United States of America? "Yes."
Are the things that make it dense readily countable? "Yes."

To Jeri: Are you speaking of the color spectrum ROYGBV?"Peripherally." Is blue the answer?"No." Would it be the answer if it were in Haiku? "No."

Translating side 2 into alphabet...

GWHPGXR. Jason, am I barking up the wrong tree? "Yes you are."

Or is it similar except I have to start on a different letter? "Not similar at all I'm afraid."

closest I can get to a real word with side 2 is ?ndowney? "Not even close, my friend."

Dott, does states refer to Nation States? or Micro States? Monaco? Bangladesh?
or States of the US?"Yes, states of the US" New Jersey? Rhode Island? Massachusetts? "But none of these"
States of Australia, even? Victoria? Tasmania?
"No."
is population density == density?"No."
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thinking wildly I call out to Seb, Barry, Peg, Tobe, Bec, April, May And June!
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the state Maryland?
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, the things that make the state dense, are they living? Microscopic? Organic? Mineral? Product of some kind? Produced by humans? Produced by animals? Trees? Is altitude relevant? Bodies of water relevant?

Jason, does this have to do with how the numbers are spelled? The number of letters in the words (two, three four, etc) relevant?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry forget Maryland...Montana!
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thinking wildly I call out to Seb, Barry, Peg, Tobe, Bec, April, May And June! Nothing happens, but that's not to say there's no one else out there.

Is the state Maryland? No

Dott, the things that make the state dense, are they living?"No." Microscopic?"No." Organic?No." Mineral?No." Product of some kind?"In a way" Produced by humans?"You could say that." Produced by animals?"Human animals." Trees?"No." Is altitude relevant?"No." Bodies of water relevant?No."

Jason, does this have to do with how the numbers are spelled?"Yes." The number of letters in the words (two, three four, etc) relevant?"In a minor way."

Sorry forget Maryland...Montana! "No again."
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, the items causing the density, are they words? Written words? Spoken words?
Are the items tangible? Do all humans contribute to production of these items?
Do humans store these products in any way?

Jason, is it going to take some algebra to figure this out?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan? Marc? Paul? Gus? August?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott: Is the state Tennessee?
Is the state North Carolina?
if neither of these, is it a state that is mountainous? has many forests with trees?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, the items causing the density, are they words?"Yes" Written words?"Yes." Spoken words? "Not really"
Are the items tangible?"No, they are words" Do all humans contribute to production of these items? "No."
Do humans store these products in any way?"I suppose in their brains..."

Jason, is it going to take some algebra to figure this out? Arithmetic is a better way to put it."

Jan? Marc? Paul? Gus?Upon mentioning Gus, another man appears. Unlike the others, he has no key. August?

Dott: Is the state Tennessee?"No."
Is the state North Carolina? "No."
if neither of these, is it a state that is mountainous?"No." has many forests with trees?"No, not really"

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, going with the number of letters...

5, 11, 5, 7, 5, 10, 9?? Not of relevance, is it, Jason?
Jason, what's your haiku?

Math! YES!!

I see a sort of pattern in numbers 3-7
23-8= 16-1,
16+7= 24-1

By that reasoning, I say 1=15, and 9=7. But of course, Jason is about to shake his head, correct?

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOPS! I meant what is GUS'S haiku!
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 945
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

March? July? Ember?

Dott: Speak you of water? Most dense at liquid state?

Bree: Red? Orange? Purple? Violet? Bleach?
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, is it the US state containing the most books per unit of space (acre...square mile...whatever) ? Washington D.C (due to the library of congress)?

The US Library of congress, incidentally, contains some 30 million cataloged books and other print materials in 470 languages; more than 58 million manuscripts; the largest rare book collection in North America, including a Gutenberg Bible (one of only four perfect vellum copies known to exist); over 1 million US Government publications; 1 million issues of world newspapers spanning the past three centuries; 33,000 bound newspaper volumes; 500,000 microfilm reels; over 6,000 comic book[3] titles; the world's largest collection of legal materials; films; 4.8 million maps; sheet music; and 2.7 million sound recordings.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations? to do with the State name?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

going from crazys list of numbers 5, 11, 5, 7, 5, 10, 9 - I see a 5 7 5 in there, which is a traditional haiku format, is that relevant?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, going with the number of letters...

5, 11, 5, 7, 5, 10, 9?? Not of relevance, is it, Jason? "No, it's not."
Jason, what's your haiku?See below...

Math! YES!!

I see a sort of pattern in numbers 3-7
23-8= 16-1,
16+7= 24-1

By that reasoning, I say 1=15, and 9=7. But of course, Jason is about to shake his head, correct?Indeed he is.

OOPS! I meant what is GUS'S haiku!

"I'll give you four clues
One for each of thier haikus
If you can solve these..."

With that, on the wall opposite the door appear 4 computer monitors with keyboards...

March? July? Ember? No responces

Dott: Speak you of water? "No." Most dense at liquid state?

Bree: Red?"Yes. But tell me why." Orange? Purple? Violet? Bleach?

Dott, is it the US state containing the most books per unit of space (acre...square mile...whatever) ?"No." Washington D.C (due to the library of congress)?

is the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations?"No." to do with the State name?"The name of the state is relevant though."

going from crazys list of numbers 5, 11, 5, 7, 5, 10, 9 - I see a 5 7 5 in there, which is a traditional haiku format, is that relevant?"Nope, sorry."
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 679
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, the words are written but only stored inside human minds. Are these words lyrics? The density related to radio stations? Music in any way? Any publications involved at all? newspapers? magazines? Are the words spoken on television? Language relevant?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 765
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott: Are you talking about one of the 50 states in the US?

Is it West Virginia--"The Mountain State"?
Is it Maine--"The Pine Tree State"?
Is it Vermont--"The Green Mountain State"?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another idea to Dott: Could you be talking about elements? The most dense metal--iridium-- Atomic Number 77? or the most dense element--Ununoctium--Atomic number 118? Radon--the most dense gas--atomic number 86?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bree, hust nutting out your haiku:
"Beneath the warm sun
set dense rust on us if hurt
this is the first day"

Is the "warm sun" a literal indication of a day? a temerature of the day? is it connected with the day mentioned in the last line?
Is rust iron oxide? is it an oxide of another metal? Is it dried blood? Is it just a colour? Is it just refering to the powdery nature of a substance?
does the word 'set' here mean 'fall'? or 'settle' as there is no more movement?
This is the first day - refers to a beginning? Could the statement "every end is another beginning" apply here?
does 'us' apply to a person? people? humankind in general?
Bree is the answer Death?
beneath the setting
sun - speckled with rust if hurt
a new life beckons?

or possibly birth?

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Density= Mass/Volume. So we're looking for the biggist state name with a very small volume? Add up the letters of the state name?

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait- Confused about colors.
Before I asked, someone mentioned "Was it red?" You answered no. You answered yes to me though.
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A thought: some of the two-letter abbreviations for the United States are also abbreviations for chemical elements (AL = Alabama = Aluminum; CO = Colorado = Cobalt, etc). Someone with more time than I on his or her hands at present might consider finding the densest of these elements. My guess would be Missouri (MO = Missouri = Molybdenum), but...
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reading back through the puzzle more carefully, it looks as though Tsoram has had the same thought. But the density of the transuranic elements (MD = Maryland = Mendelevium; MT = Montana = Meitnerium) is... well, it isn't, for most of them aren't around long enough to be measured.

At any rate, it was just a thought, but if it turns out to be a right thought, let the record show that I thought of it (at best) second.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, the words are written but only stored inside human minds."Don't dwell too much on the storage place of words. They are just words. Where they may be written is not important." Are these words lyrics?"Possibly somewhere, but not relevant." The density related to radio stations?"No." Music in any way?"No." Any publications involved at all?"No." newspapers? magazines? Are the words spoken on television?"Possibly at some point, but not relevant" Language relevant?"In the broadest sense"

Dott: Are you talking about one of the 50 states in the US?"yes."

Is it West Virginia--"The Mountain State"?"no."
Is it Maine--"The Pine Tree State"?"No."
Is it Vermont--"The Green Mountain State"? "No."

Another idea to Dott: Could you be talking about elements?"No." The most dense metal--iridium-- Atomic Number 77?No." or the most dense element--Ununoctium--Atomic number 118?"no." Radon--the most dense gas--atomic number 86?"No."

Hi Bree, hust nutting out your haiku:
"Beneath the warm sun
set dense rust on us if hurt
this is the first day"

Is the "warm sun" a literal indication of a day?"Not exactly, but not too far off." a temerature of the day?"No." is it connected with the day mentioned in the last line?"yes."
Is rust iron oxide?"Not important." is it an oxide of another metal?"Not important" Is it dried blood?"Not important." Is it just a colour?"Not important." Is it just refering to the powdery nature of a substance?No, only the word itself matters."
does the word 'set' here mean 'fall'? or 'settle' as there is no more movement?"Possibly, but not important"
This is the first day - refers to a beginning?"Yes." Could the statement "every end is another beginning" apply here? "No."
does 'us' apply to a person? people? humankind in general? "not important."
Bree is the answer Death? "No."
beneath the setting
sun - speckled with rust if hurt
a new life beckons?
"Lovely haiku, but not relevant in the least."
or possibly birth? "No."

Density= Mass/Volume. So we're looking for the biggist state name with a very small volume?"In a sense, yes." Add up the letters of the state name? "Close, but not quite."

Wait- Confused about colors.
Before I asked, someone mentioned "Was it red?" You answered no. You answered yes to me though."Did I say no? Sorry. Red is the answer, I just need a reason."

A thought: some of the two-letter abbreviations for the United States are also abbreviations for chemical elements (AL = Alabama = Aluminum; CO = Colorado = Cobalt, etc). Someone with more time than I on his or her hands at present might consider finding the densest of these elements. My guess would be Missouri (MO = Missouri = Molybdenum), but... "Good thinking, but completely off track."

Reading back through the puzzle more carefully, it looks as though Tsoram has had the same thought. But the density of the transuranic elements (MD = Maryland = Mendelevium; MT = Montana = Meitnerium) is... well, it isn't, for most of them aren't around long enough to be measured.

At any rate, it was just a thought, but if it turns out to be a right thought, let the record show that I thought of it (at best) second.
"Unfortunately it's not a right thought, but good (second) effort."

I have to say, guys, I'm wildly impressed with all the ideas you have come up with. some are way beyond what I ever expected. That's why I love these puzzles. Keep on guessing!!
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bree: Are we talking about dawn, which is the beginning of the day? (Dawn is also a name, will this summon a woman named Dawn?)
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have we looked at these computer monitors yet? please describe what they show?

are there any more people to find?

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damia: I'm pretty sure there isn't, mainly because there are 4 padlocks and we have 4 people with keys.

OK, I'll keeping looking at Jasons...

Jason: There is nothing other to your haiku that finishing off the side of the pyramid with all the numbers?
Is the day you started this puzzle relevant?"This is the first day"
Oct 4? Sunday? Monday?

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and relevant that green and red (White and black as well) are 2 of the three primary colors in a color spectrum? That if you mix red and green and blue you get white?
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, Dott. You say that in a sense we are looking for the biggist state name with a very small volume. It cannot be the state with the smallest about of area for each letter in its name because that would be the District of Columbia, and I have already guessed that (only 3 sq miles per letter). So, I'm going to guess that the number of letters in the state name is relevant, yes?
And we just need the rest of it. Largest volume of humans? Number of schools? Universities?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott:

The state density: do we need to assign a value to each letter in a state name? If so, are we using scrabble values? Or A=1, B=2, etc? Is density = total value divided by number of letters in name?
Or are we looking at consonant/vowel ratios (unlikely, as this would produce a three-way tie, I think)? If it were average Scrabble values per letter, the winner would be Kentucky, at 2.625. Is it this?

Bree:

Does the second line include a relevant anagram? If so, is "if hurt" the anagram indicator? Are we to anagram "set dense rust", "set dense rust on us", "dense rust on us" or just "dense rust"? Is it relevant that "dense rust" is an anagram of "desert sun"?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People seem to think that Jason knows the secret of Side 3. Is this right? It's not his riddle, after all. If not, does anyone else in the room know about Side 3? Does "greater than" denote the > sign? Does "Boredom, for a change" indicate "bedroom"?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for side 2 you said the number of letters in the words is important, is it the number of letter in one, two, three etc? or the number of letters in the answers seven, twentythree? or both? is there any correlation between the numbers and translating them all into letters of the alphabet? do you need to do a sum to get what 1 or 9 are? is multiplication involved? division? addition? subtraction?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wildcard... District of Columbia isn't a state! by the arguement of area/letter ratio Rhode island would have to win...smallest state and yet the longest official name... so that ain't it!

Is it a new england state?
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

101 sq miles per letter eh, Tsoram?
I stand corrected.
Deleware second and Connecticut third. Alaska is last at almost 100,000 sq mi per letter.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually the full official name of Rhode Isald is "the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" at 41 letters with an area of 1214 sq miles giving a density of 29.6 sq miles per letter... if you only count land sq miles that comes even further down.... haven't done the calculations for all the others so i'll take your word!
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't get me all excited Tsoram. I'm a stats major. ;-)
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 858
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm.... so you're one of those Sadistics grads then?

But while we trade stats, we still haven't got any closer to the state... now we have established that it is a US state... and that the name of the state is relevant...also that the elements are not relevant. The state isn't New Jersey, Alaska, Texas, Mississippi, California, Delaware, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, Montana, Tennessee, North Carolina... thirteen down, 37 to go!
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott: What about Hawaii?--I always forget about this one! Now 36 to go!
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 860
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But why Booklover? we won't get out that easily.... sure we could post a whole list of the states and get it but why? is it to do with the actual letters in the name? ie the one that needs the most different letters? the Least different letters?

Is Wildcard's statistical bent likely to help him, or is that just likley to lead us down a standard deviation ;*)?

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Really bored here, so figuring density: alphabetical numbers/ number of letters...

I have at top so far New York, a ratio of 15.857 per letter!

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other possible candidate was Wyoming, but that's 15.14...
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops missed out West Virginia, Maine and Vermont from my list..all asked and answered no ...
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't help feeling that we are really overcomplicating this one... Becca, is it much more simple, or should we really be pursuing the statistcal route ?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bree: Are we talking about dawn, which is the beginning of the day?"No." (Dawn is also a name, will this summon a woman named Dawn?no.)

have we looked at these computer monitors yet?No, you have not. please describe what they show? Each shows a list of words, and then at the bottom of the screen says "Please add word to list...______________"

Screen 1:

BALL
HOUSE
NOSE
SPOT
DOUBLE
LEVEL
ROCKS
TOWN
ROPES

Screen 2:

MARS
SKI NERDS
RIP TOAST
DEAR SIR
TEN HARPS
STAINS
SABER
HOLD PINS
JEST

Screen 3:

FOOL
SIGH
CRUMB
CONVERT
LYNCH
HELIUM
INDEED
REFLECT
FLAKE

Screen 4:

CLIPS
LIT
STAT
LAPS
DUCAT
LOP
THAN

are there any more people to find?no

Damia: I'm pretty sure there isn't, mainly because there are 4 padlocks and we have 4 people with keys.

OK, I'll keeping looking at Jasons...

Jason: There is nothing other to your haiku that finishing off the side of the pyramid with all the numbers? "That's all!"
Is the day you started this puzzle relevant?"This is the first day" No.
Oct 4? Sunday? Monday? Nope.

Oh, and relevant that green and red (White and black as well) are 2 of the three primary colors in a color spectrum?Not relevant at all" That if you mix red and green and blue you get white?Irrelevant

Hm, Dott. You say that in a sense we are looking for the biggist state name with a very small volume."That is correct." It cannot be the state with the smallest about of area for each letter in its name because that would be the District of Columbia, and I have already guessed that (only 3 sq miles per letter)."Except D.C. is not a state. Even so, this is the wrong track." So, I'm going to guess that the number of letters in the state name is relevant, yes?"Yes."
And we just need the rest of it. Largest volume of humans? Number of schools? Universities? "Nothing like this, no."

Dott:

The state density: do we need to assign a value to each letter in a state name?"Yes." If so, are we using scrabble values?"No." Or A=1, B=2, etc?"No." Is density = total value divided by number of letters in name?"Yes!"
Or are we looking at consonant/vowel ratios (unlikely, as this would produce a three-way tie, I think)?"No, not this" If it were average Scrabble values per letter, the winner would be Kentucky, at 2.625. Is it this?"No."

Bree:

Does the second line include a relevant anagram?"Yes." If so, is "if hurt" the anagram indicator?"No..." Are we to anagram "set dense rust", "set dense rust on us", "dense rust on us" or just "dense rust"?"None of this esactly." Is it relevant that "dense rust" is an anagram of "desert sun"?"No, but very interesting."

People seem to think that Jason knows the secret of Side 3. Is this right?Jason knows the secret of side 2, but not of side 3 It's not his riddle, after all. If not, does anyone else in the room know about Side 3?"I do" says Jeri. Does "greater than" denote the > sign? "Not important." Does "Boredom, for a change" indicate "bedroom"? "No. Good thought, but certainly not."

for side 2 you said the number of letters in the words is important, is it the number of letter in one, two, three etc?"yes." or the number of letters in the answers seven, twentythree?"no." or both? is there any correlation between the numbers and translating them all into letters of the alphabet?"I'm not sure what you mean." do you need to do a sum to get what 1 or 9 are?"Yes." is multiplication involved?"No." division?"No." addition?"yes." subtraction? "No."

Wildcard... District of Columbia isn't a state! Indeed. by the arguement of area/letter ratio Rhode island would have to win...smallest state and yet the longest official name... so that ain't it!

Is it a new england state? "No."

101 sq miles per letter eh, Tsoram?
I stand corrected.
Deleware second and Connecticut third. Alaska is last at almost 100,000 sq mi per letter.

These are the kinds of calcualations I do for no particular reason while sitting on the couch watching TV that lead me to make these lateral adventures in the first place!

Actually the full official name of Rhode Isald is "the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" at 41 letters with an area of 1214 sq miles giving a density of 29.6 sq miles per letter... if you only count land sq miles that comes even further down.... haven't done the calculations for all the others so i'll take your word!

Don't get me all excited Tsoram. I'm a stats major. ;-)

Hmmmm.... so you're one of those Sadistics grads then?

But while we trade stats, we still haven't got any closer to the state... now we have established that it is a US state... and that the name of the state is relevant...also that the elements are not relevant. The state isn't New Jersey, Alaska, Texas, Mississippi, California, Delaware, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, Montana, Tennessee, North Carolina... thirteen down, 37 to go!

Dott: What about Hawaii? "No."--I always forget about this one! Now 36 to go!

But why Booklover? we won't get out that easily.... sure we could post a whole list of the states and get it but why?My thouhts exactly, much more fun to figure it out than to take random guesses, right? is it to do with the actual letters in the name?"Yes." ie the one that needs the most different letters?"No." the Least different letters?"No."

Is Wildcard's statistical bent likely to help him, or is that just likley to lead us down a standard deviation ;*)? "No statistics are relevant really."

OK, Really bored here, so figuring density: alphabetical numbers/ number of letters...

I have at top so far New York, a ratio of 15.857 per letter!
The other possible candidate was Wyoming, but that's 15.14...
oops missed out West Virginia, Maine and Vermont from my list..all asked and answered no ...
All very interesting indeed, but unfortunately completely irrelevant.

Can't help feeling that we are really overcomplicating this one... Becca, is it much more simple, or should we really be pursuing the statistcal route ?
As previous answers indicate, all you must do is figure out what values to assign to each letter in the state names, and divide by the number of letters in the name.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scrabble values?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scrabble values? "Great minds think alike, I guess. The answer is still no."

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a common way of valuing them? The rarity of the letters?

The screens are just further confusing me!

OK, Jeri knows about the 3rd side, and the things about color?
Is the answer to the first riddle green, and the second red?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dott, can any letter in the alphabet have the same numberical value? Are the values bounded between 1 and 26? Is there a relation between the values of the letters and the shape of the letters? Are cyphers relevent (rot13 or the other Caeser cyphers for example)?
Can a letter have a negative value? Are playing cards relevent in any way (two suits = 26 cards)
Do all letters have a value? If we found the total times each letter appears in the names of all the US states, would assigning these letters with their frequency give us the values we require? (Not going to even bother trying that unless it's on the right track.)

Hi Gus! Taking a look at screen 2, they seem to resemble anagrams of NFL teams.
Would WEAK SASH: an anagram of the Seattle Seahawks be appropriate?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wild guess
With Screen 1: i can make a tentative connection between:
(High) ball and (High) ropes
(on the) double and (on the) rocks
(spirit) level and (ghost) town
(red) nose and (black) spot
leaving
(light) house and (light) LUNCH perhaps?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a common way of valuing them?No. The rarity of the letters? No.

The screens are just further confusing me!

OK, Jeri knows about the 3rd side, and the things about color? Yes.
Is the answer to the first riddle green, and the second red? Which first and secon riddles are you referring to? There is not riddle for which the answer is green.

Dott, can any letter in the alphabet have the same numberical value?"Yes." Are the values bounded between 1 and 26?"No." Is there a relation between the values of the letters and the shape of the letters?"No." Are cyphers relevent (rot13 or the other Caeser cyphers for example)? "No."
Can a letter have a negative value?"No." Are playing cards relevent in any way (two suits = 26 cards) "No."
Do all letters have a value?"Yes." If we found the total times each letter appears in the names of all the US states, would assigning these letters with their frequency give us the values we require?"No." (Not going to even bother trying that unless it's on the right track.)

Hi Gus! Taking a look at screen 2, they seem to resemble anagrams of NFL teams.
Would WEAK SASH: an anagram of the Seattle Seahawks be appropriate? Yes! As you enter in "WEAK SASH" the screen disappears, and Gus asks "Which riddle would you like a hint for? Jason's, Jeri's, Dott's or Bree's?"
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For screen 4 [words that make new words when prefixed and suffixed by E] enter another one: AS, LID or LUD would do.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For screen 4 [words that make new words when prefixed and suffixed by E] enter another one: AS, LID or LUD would do. Screen 4 disappears, and Gus remarks "All right, now you have two hints! Which puzzles do you want hints for?"
Wildcard (Wildcard)

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Under screen 1 enter: Record
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Under screen 1 enter: Record The screen disappears. Gus offers you a third hint.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've won three hints! And we're going to need them, I think. Can we take Side 3 for one of them? That seems the toughest at the moment.
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've won three hints! And we're going to need them, I think. Can we take Side 3 for one of them? That seems the toughest at the moment.

"So you want a hint for Jeri's puzzle, seeing as Jeri is the one with knowledge of side 3..." says Gus.

"Blunt force!
Violence, hit!
Greater than...

Boredom, for a change,
Winding down,
Eyelids lower... "

You now know that red
Is the color that follows
Green, but lets suppose

That side three had read
This next little rhyme instead
Then, GREEN follows RED!

"Eyelids lower,
Winding down,
Boredom, for a change...

Greater than
Violence, hit!
Blunt force!"
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see, so the colours are hidden inside each of the lines?
Blue, Violet, green| red, indigo, yellow.
And red indeed follows green.

May we have the clue to Jason's haiku?
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

actually, orange is also hidden within 'Boredom, for a change.'
Zenith (Zenith)

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

whoops, makes more sense as 'Boredom, for a change.'
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for side 2, does 1 = 7? does 9 = 24? or maybe 32?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see, so the colours are hidden inside each of the lines?
Blue, Violet, green| red, indigo, yellow.
And red indeed follows green."Yes! Indeed! And for figuring it out, please, have my key!" Jeri declares.

May we have the clue to Jason's haiku?
"Certainly!" says Gus...

Maybe it is hard
To see sums without seeing
The numbers added...

I think that maybe
Rewriting information
Will make it clearer.

1= ?
2= 3+1+3 =7
3= 3+2+2+8+8 =23
4= 2+3+1+2 =8
5= 2+4+2+8 =16
6= 2+4+1 =7
7= 2+8+2+8+4 =24
8= 8+4+1+2+3 =18
9= ?

actually, orange is also hidden within 'Boredom, for a change.' Yes, indeed
whoops, makes more sense as 'Boredom, for a change.'

for side 2, does 1 = 7?No. does 9 = 24?No. or maybe 32?No.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 896
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, is one 15? and nine 20?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, is one 15? and nine 20? "Why yes! So your answer to my riddle? And would you care to explain how you solved it?"
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I have to admit that i have not solved Jason's riddle! I have merely used the hint to get to the values... for some reason o=3,n=4,e=8,and i=4...giving

one= 3+4+8 =15 and

nine = 4+4+4+8 =20

letter position doesn't help, and f,v,x amongst other do not appear in the Haiku thus requiring a separate source. letter frequency is not there since e and t would be much closer in number value. Scrabble ain't it....
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh and the answer to the riddle is 2...
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I have to admit that i have not solved Jason's riddle! I have merely used the hint to get to the values... for some reason o=3,n=4,e=8,and i=4...giving

one= 3+4+8 =15 and

nine = 4+4+4+8 =20

letter position doesn't help, and f,v,x amongst other do not appear in the Haiku thus requiring a separate source. letter frequency is not there since e and t would be much closer in number value. Scrabble ain't it....

Oh and the answer to the riddle is 2...

"All good work" says Jason, "and I'll give you my key as soon as you tell me where the values come from."
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E = 8
F = 2
G = 1
H = 2
I = 4
N = 4
O = 3
R = 2
S = 2
T = 3
U = 1
V = 2

I got it at about T... it's the number of times the letter appears in the numbers 1 to 9...
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E = 8
F = 2
G = 1
H = 2
I = 4
N = 4
O = 3
R = 2
S = 2
T = 3
U = 1
V = 2

I got it at about T... it's the number of times the letter appears in the numbers 1 to 9..."Perfect!" says Jason, and he hands you his key.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doh! and there was me trying all other variations! I even had tried that with two to eight, but chickened out early when e didn't work! principally because the haiku said two through eight!

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these values the same for the States? In that case, it would be the one with the most Es, Which would be... Tennesee?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these values the same for the States?no In that case, it would be the one with the most Es, Which would be... Tennesee?no
Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assign a value to the letters in the name of the states, but not a value that would be commonly assigned... Hmmm, indeed.

Is it values that are more commonly assigned to something other than letters?

If we were to see the list of values, without the letters, would we be likely to recognize it? (is it a notable set of values like the Fibonnaci sequence? based on something like that but not it exactly?)

Is the value of each letter 1 digit? 1 or 2 digits? 2 digits? is the value of any letter three digits long? longer than three digits?

To determine the value to assign, do we need to arrange the letters in a particular order? in a specific matrix?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assign a value to the letters in the name of the states, but not a value that would be commonly assigned... Hmmm, indeed.

Is it values that are more commonly assigned to something other than letters? no

If we were to see the list of values, without the letters, would we be likely to recognize it?Without the letters, no (is it a notable set of values like the Fibonnaci sequence?no based on something like that but not it exactly?no)

Is the value of each letter 1 digit?yes 1 or 2 digits?no 2 digits?no is the value of any letter three digits long?no longer than three digits?no

To determine the value to assign, do we need to arrange the letters in a particular order?no in a specific matrix?noish
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beneath the warm sun
This is the first day"

is the anagram the whole of the second line? is one of the words in it freshen? refreshed? sun?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beneath the warm sun
This is the first day"

is the anagram the whole of the second line?yesish or yope is one of the words in it freshen?no refreshed?no sun?yes
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there more to the anagram than the second line? or does the anagram not include everything in the second line? is the whole of the first word in the second line included in the anagram? the 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 5th? 6th? 7th?

does the anagram contain the word first? enter? south? entered? used?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there more to the anagram than the second line?yesish or does the anagram not include everything in the second line?no, it does is the whole of the first word in the second line included in the anagram? the 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 5th? 6th? 7th? all are included

does the anagram contain the word first? enter? south? entered? used?none
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't understand these yesish's, so I'm going to be even more pedantic now, there are 22 letters in the second line, are there 22 letters in the anagram we are looking for? 23? 24? 25? 25 - 30? more? does the solution to the anagram consist of 2 words? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? more?

does the anagram contain the word shine? sunshine? set? sunset? (as seperate words from the word sun already found) tender? thirst? trust? trusted?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't understand these yesish's, so I'm going to be even more pedantic now, there are 22 letters in the second line, are there 22 letters in the anagram we are looking for? 23? 24? 25? 25 - 30? more? does the solution to the anagram consist of 2 words? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? more?
The anagram is seven words, consisting of 29 letters

does the anagram contain the word shine? nosunshine?no set?no sunset?no (as seperate words from the word sun already found) tender? thirst? trust? trusted?none of theses

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warm sun set dense rust on us if hurt
Is this it?
Return to sender?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warm sun set dense rust on us if hurt
Is this it? Yes
Return to sender? no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a one of the words? the? and? I?

do they make a well known saying? a line from a song? a quote?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is a one of the words? the? and? I? no

do they make a well known saying?no, but... a line from a song?no a quote?no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gosh there are so many possibilities - east? west? eastern? western? easternmost? westernmost? demonstrate? tremendous? surround? treasure? sundown? answer? nature? (or if not are any of those close?)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gosh there are so many possibilities - east? west? eastern? western? easternmost? westernmost? demonstrate? tremendous? surround? treasure? sundown? answer? nature? (or if not are any of those close?) none are close. sorry. You do have one more clue earned from Gus. Would you like to use it on Bree's puzzle?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well seeing I seem to be the only one guessing at the moment, it would probably be a good idea thanks!!

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be working on this, but the anagram maker I found has given me 34000 possible anagrams. No way am I searching through that!

OK, next thought...
How many verbs? 1? 2? 3? 4?
Nouns? 1?2?3?4?5?
Adj or Advs, 1?2?3?4?5?6?
Conjunctions,1?2?3?
Others, 1?2?3?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lol crazy, yes I posted a few answers that seemed to be to do with suns and days, but am getting nowhere so far!!

is it some kind of saying? phrase? simile? cliche? is it found in a book? would most people have heard of it?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well seeing I seem to be the only one guessing at the moment, it would probably be a good idea thanks!!
Gus:
"What is the warm sun?
All of the days minus one.
What do you have left?"

I would be working on this, but the anagram maker I found has given me 34000 possible anagrams. No way am I searching through that!

OK, next thought...
How many verbs? 1? 2? 3? 4?none
Nouns? 1?2?3?4?5? one
Adj or Advs, 1?2?3?4?5?6? none
Conjunctions,1?2?3? none
Others, 1?2?3? six

lol crazy, yes I posted a few answers that seemed to be to do with suns and days, but am getting nowhere so far!!

is it some kind of saying?no phrase?no simile?no cliche?no is it found in a book?yesish would most people have heard of it?yes
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the anagram have mon tue wed thur fri sat sun in it? or tues? or wednes? thurs? satur? that would use up all the letters.. no wonder I couldn't get proper words out lol
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the anagram have mon tue wed thur fri sat sun in it?yope or tues?yes or wednes?yes thurs?yes satur?yes that would use up all the letters.. no wonder I couldn't get proper words out lol
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok great, so would the first day be Mon? or Sun?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok great, so would the first day be Mon?nope or Sun?nope
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the second riddle just to solve the anagram? or is there more to it? is the first day a day of the week? or one of the anagrams (day of the week minus the day bit)? is what we are looking for the first day?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the second riddle just to solve the anagram?yope or is there more to it?yesish is the first day a day of the week? yes or one of the anagrams (day of the week minus the day bit)?not really is what we are looking for the first day?yes
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the first day monday? sunday?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the first day monday?no sunday?no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beneath the warm sun
This is the first day"

is there any other clues in this one? is everything from warm to hurt just an anagram, or also further clue? is the first day wednesday? wednes? just because w is the first letter in the anagram

"What is the warm sun?
What do you have left?"

is warm sun here just to indicate where the anagram starts? or is that an important part of the anagram? or a totally different clue? is the second and third line just to indicate how to solve the anagram?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the anagram has all the letters in the days of the week...except the days!

Mon(day), Tues(day), Wednes(day), Thurs(day), Fri(day), Satur(day), Sun(day)

So is the answer day?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beneath the warm sun
This is the first day"

is there any other clues in this one?no is everything from warm to hurt just an anagram, or also further clue?The former is the first day wednesday?yes wednes? just because w is the first letter in the anagram not exactly. you are very close though

"What is the warm sun?
What do you have left?"

is warm sun here just to indicate where the anagram starts?no or is that an important part of the anagram?yes or a totally different clue?no is the second and third line just to indicate how to solve the anagram?yope

Well the anagram has all the letters in the days of the week...except the days!

Mon(day), Tues(day), Wednes(day), Thurs(day), Fri(day), Satur(day), Sun(day)

So is the answer day?no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it something to do with where you get the letters to make wednes from? that you can get them in order? but then obviously the sun for sunday is the first full day you can make.. is there anything significant that you can make wednes out of the w+dense?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about suet then?
Alanlin (Alanlin)
Username: Alanlin

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

w+dense= wednes
a+rust= satur
r+if= fri
m+on= mon
s+hurt= thurs
u+set= tues
n+us= sun

so wednesday is the first day?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about suet then? What about it??

w+dense= wednes
a+rust= satur
r+if= fri
m+on= mon
s+hurt= thurs
u+set= tues
n+us= sun

so wednesday is the first day? "Perfect!" Bree says. "Please, have my key!

You have only Dott's puzzle left to solve...and one computer screen left to solve to earn your final clue from Gus!
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using a=1, b=2... (and not evaluating all of the states!) Utah at 12.5?

If not can we have a list of the states we have tried already?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using a=1, b=2...these are not the correct values. (and not evaluating all of the states!) Utah at 12.5? no

If not can we have a list of the states we have tried already?"sure, lets see. It's not...

New Jersey
Alaska
Texas
Mississippi
Delaware
New Hampshire
California
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Maryland
Montana
Tennessee
North Carolina
West Virginia
Maine
Vermont
Missouri
Hawaii
or Utah.

Don't forget though, even if you guess it, you still can't have the key until you explain why it's the answer!"
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Solid, Liquid, Gas
From among the several states
This state is most dense"

do we need to count how many a's there are in this haiku etc? does the periodic table have any relevance?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify...even though we cannot get the key until we explain why it is the most dense, the states mentionned have been ruled out completely (ie it won't turn out to be hawaii but you said no because the reason wasn't there)?

So we need to work out what the set of values is... and we need at least 25 values... (no q!)... hmmm... is it to do with the frequency of the letters in the state abbreviations? (a appears 10 times so a =10 etc)?

When working with state names we use the common version right? not the full official state name (vis Rhode Island)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do we need to count how many a's there are in this haiku etc?no does the periodic table have any relevance?no

Just to clarify...even though we cannot get the key until we explain why it is the most dense, the states mentionned have been ruled out completely (ie it won't turn out to be hawaii but you said no because the reason wasn't there)?
"If I understand what you are saying, than yes. Any state you guess I will tell you if it is the correct state or not, but I will not give you the key until you can offer the reason."

So we need to work out what the set of values is... and we need at least 25 values...well, not 25 distinct values. It's already been determined that each value is only 1 digit (no q!)... hmmm... is it to do with the frequency of the letters in the state abbreviations?no (a appears 10 times so a =10 etc)?

When working with state names we use the common version right?yes not the full official state name (vis Rhode Island)
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we using the actual state names or abbreviations?
Am I right in assuming that we must assign a value to each letter in the states' names and then find the state with the highest average value per letter?
We know the assigned values are each one digit, so are all the values 0-9 used? If not, which of the following are used? 0? 1? 2? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? 9?
Do the assigned values derived from...
their frequency in some set of words?
their actual appearance? (e.g. number of strokes needed to write the letter, whether it contains curves etc.)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we using the actual state names or abbreviations? Actual names
Am I right in assuming that we must assign a value to each letter in the states' names and then find the state with the highest average value per letter? yes
We know the assigned values are each one digit, so are all the values 0-9 used?no If not, which of the following are used? 0?yes 1?yes 2? 3? 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? 9? no to the rest
Do the assigned values derived from...
their frequency in some set of words? yes
their actual appearance?no (e.g. number of strokes needed to write the letter, whether it contains curves etc.)
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it if they appear at all in some set of words they get a 1? if not 0? is the set of words the haiku? part of it? something in the first line? second? third?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it if they appear at all in some set of words they get a 1?yes if not 0?yes is the set of words the haiku?no part of it?yes something in the first line?yes second?no third?no
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the whole of the first line?

S = 1
o = 1
l = 1
i = 1
d = 1
q = 1
u = 1
g = 1
a = 1

all others = 0?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it the whole of the first line? yes

S = 1
o = 1
l = 1
i = 1
d = 1
q = 1
u = 1
g = 1
a = 1

all others = 0?correct.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case Louisiana?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case Louisiana?"Exactly! Here, have my key!
You now have four keys, and there are four locks on the door. After some fiddling, the door opens. Free at last.

Now, just for kicks, anyone want to attempt to solve that last computer screen?
Lshooter3k (Lshooter3k)
Username: Lshooter3k

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone explain screen 1? With the answer record
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone explain screen 1? With the answer record Any of the words on the list make a common saying if you add the words "on the" at the beginning...for example on the rocks, on the double, on the house...so the word "record" is acceptable because "on the record" is a common saying.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take it this one is finished now?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damia: still screen 3 to solve, and I have been thinking about it for days. Totally stumped. Any ideas?
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah sorry, for some reason I thought the record thing above was the missing one!

are we looking for something similar to any of the other screens? are we looking for similar phrases which has each of these words in? can you put the same word(s) before each of these? or after? or maybe alternate wods to replace each of these which have something in common? or is it something like the football teams again, coz if so I have no clue..? any anagrams?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah sorry, for some reason I thought the record thing above was the missing one!

are we looking for something similar to any of the other screens?yes are we looking for similar phrases which has each of these words in?no can you put the same word(s) before each of these?no or after?no or maybe alternate wods to replace each of these which have something in common?sort of, but not really. It's more similar to the puzzle where you added an e to the front and end to make a different word or is it something like the football teams again, coz if so I have no clue..?no any anagrams?no
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For screen three... does it involve adding a letter to the word? several letters? beginning of the word? end of the word? Is there a common word that can be put in front of these words to make a phrase? After the words? Both? Does it involve replacing one letter in each word and those letters used for replacement spell another word? The letters they replace spell another word?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For screen three... does it involve adding a letter to the word?yes, and.. several letters?no beginning of the word?no end of the word?yes Is there a common word that can be put in front of these words to make a phrase?no After the words?no Both?no Does it involve replacing one letter in each word and those letters used for replacement spell another word?no The letters they replace spell another word?no
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add the letter to the very end of the word? Or near the end of the word? Is it all the same letter? s? e? Does adding this one letter allow us to make two words where there was one? Just make a slightly new word? Create a way to connect the word following?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add the letter to the very end of the word?yope Or near the end of the word?yope Is it all the same letter?yes s?no e?no Does adding this one letter allow us to make two words where there was one?no Just make a slightly new word?yesish Create a way to connect the word following?no
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it. You take off the last two letters and add x to make a new word, so file and mine should work, yes?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it. You take off the last two letters and add x to make a new word, so file and mine should work, yes?Exactly.

Thant, my friends, is a ** SPOILER ** !!!
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oooo nice one Alan!

and fab lateral adventure Becca!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: