[Enjay] Give us today... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [Enjay] Give us today... « Previous Next »

Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very quick one I'm sure
What about bread?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

religion important? Lord's prayer relevant? give us this day our daily bread?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

religion important? Lord's prayer relevant? give us this day our daily bread? None of these...that's just where I got the idea for the title from
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you (or someone else) asking for bread to be served? If so, would bread normally be served under the same circumstances?
Blazingphoenix (Blazingphoenix)
Username: Blazingphoenix

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did someone say that someone nearby is acting like a Loaf perchance?

Hi everyone! It's nice to be back finally!
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 714
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was someone talking about food? and then another said that?
if yes, did the person want bread to be included in the topic?
was that statement made as an offer of a solution?
was it to mean that bread was forgotten?
is bread something like the flour, water, yeast egg mix well then bake ..stuff?
is bread money?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eli
Are you (or someone else) asking for bread to be served? If so, would bread normally be served under the same circumstances? No to both

Blazingphoenix
did someone say that someone nearby is acting like a Loaf perchance? No but good idea :-)

Hi everyone! It's nice to be back finally! Welcome back!!

Sixtyeight
Was someone talking about food? and then another said that? No
if yes, did the person want bread to be included in the topic? So no
was that statement made as an offer of a solution? No
was it to mean that bread was forgotten? Yes
is bread something like the flour, water, yeast egg mix well then bake ..stuff? Erm...not totally sure what you mean but I'd say the answer was yope to noish
is bread money? No
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 694
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does bread refer to the food?
Did anyone say "What about bread?"? or think? Was the sentence written?
How many people are involved in this puzzle: 0? 1? 2? ... Is the job of any of these relevant?
Is the place where this happened relevant? the era?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does bread refer to the food? Noish
Did anyone say "What about bread?"? or think? Well, I thought it, but I could have said itWas the sentence written? No, but again, could have been
How many people are involved in this puzzle: 0? 1? 2? I suppose this...there's me, doing the thinking, and there's the person who prompted me to do the thinking, although this could have been any number of people ... Is the job of any of these relevant? No
Is the place where this happened relevant? the era? No to both
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 695
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is language relevant in this puzzle? would it work say in French? Would the puzzle work with "what about cake"? "what about potatoes"? "what about water"? "what about lead"?
The person who prompted you to do the thinking:
human? male? adult? relevant?
Did he or she do anything relevant? say anything relevant?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 685
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is language relevant in this puzzle? yes would it work say in French? no, though there are probably some languages other than English that it would work in Would the puzzle work with "what about cake"? "what about potatoes"? "what about water"? "what about lead"? No to all these
The person who prompted you to do the thinking:
human? male? adult? relevant? Well, human, other than that irrelevant
Did he or she do anything relevant? say anything relevant? This one
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 696
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a wordplay involved? a joke? a rhyme? an anagram? a puzzle (apart from the present puzzle)?
Would your puzzle work with any other word than bread ("What about X"?)?
Did the other person ask a question? make a statement?
Did what he or she said contain the word bread? Did he or she expect a reply? would he or she have considered "what about bread" as an appropriate reply?
Are there any objects to be found out? anything about the setting?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a wordplay involved? a joke? a rhyme? an anagram? Yesish a puzzle (apart from the present puzzle)? No to rest
Would your puzzle work with any other word than bread ("What about X"?)? There are several words it would work with
Did the other person ask a question? make a statement? This
Did what he or she said contain the word bread? No
Did he or she expect a reply? No
would he or she have considered "what about bread" as an appropriate reply? They would probably have understood why I said it, if that's what you mean
Are there any objects to be found out? No anything about the setting? Not vital to the solution, but it might help
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification:
anything about the setting? Not vital to the solution, but it might help
I meant the setting as in where the exchange ending with "What about bread" took place. If you meant anything else then please clarify and I will give a better answer.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dough?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 690
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dough? You mean would the puzzle work with "what about dough"? No, it wouldn't.
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So yesish to anagram but no to wordplay (for me an anagram is a wordplay)?
Would it help to find out the several words you could put instead of bread? Do they have something in common? all nouns? one syllable? five letters? any letters in common? is the meaning of these words relevant? or more the writing? the sound?
Did this happen in a building? in a vehicle? outside? Is the approximate number of people present relevant? Was the person who made the statement speaking to a group of people?
Did his or her statement include any of the following words: no? not? only? this? that? is? are? do? but? if? possible? impossible? word? sentence? you? I? me?
Concerning the setting, you understood the question as it was intended, thank you.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 691
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So yesish to anagram but no to wordplay (for me an anagram is a wordplay)? Ah sorry...I was thinking of wordplay in the sense of puns and the like. In that case, should have been a yes to puns and the like
Would it help to find out the several words you could put instead of bread? Well there must be quite a lot of them, but finding some might help Do they have something in common? Yes, and finding other words that would work might help determine this
all nouns? one syllable? five letters? any letters in common? none of these
is the meaning of these words relevant? No, good question
or more the writing? this
the sound? no
Did this happen in a building? in a vehicle? outside? no to all
Is the approximate number of people present relevant? no, there had to be at least two (one to make the statement and me to answer it), but in fact there were a number of people discussing the statement
Was the person who made the statement speaking to a group of people? Yes, see above
Did his or her statement include any of the following words: no? not? only? this? that? is? are? do? but? if? possible? impossible? word? sentence? you? I? me? Hmm, well it could have been expressed in different ways. It would be unlikely to contain "no", "only", "impossible" but could yesishly contain any of the others. Anyway, as i have hopefully clarified above it was more of a discussion that an actual statement.
Concerning the setting, you understood the question as it was intended, thank you. You're quite welcome :-)
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, two points are not clear to me
What of the following is relevant to the puzzle:
A (funny) pun? a (not funny) wordplay?
It happened neither in a building nor in a vehicle nor outside? Did it happen in space? under the sea? underground? is this (a bit) relevant?

Is any of the letters of "bread" particularly relevant? Would "What about beard?" work?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 710
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, two points are not clear to me
What of the following is relevant to the puzzle:
A (funny) pun? a (not funny) wordplay? Oh dear, I've been typing while my mind wanders again...

***BLOOPER***: Puns are not relevant. Wordplay is relevant, in as much as anagrams are relevant. Sorry...hope that clears it up :-)

It happened neither in a building nor in a vehicle nor outside? Correct
Did it happen in space? Hmm, yope, but not space in the sense you mean it
under the sea? underground? no to both
is this (a bit) relevant? If you find out where it did take place, that could lead you to the solution, but it's not at all vital to know it in order to reach a solution.

Is any of the letters of "bread" particularly relevant? Not one of the individual letters, bu if the word bread contained different letters it would not work Would "What about beard?" work? yes
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it happen on earth? would it help to find out the country?
So I suppose "What about bared?" would work as well?
Can the words that would work have 1? 2? 3? ... letters?
Was there a reason that you were thinking of "bread" (instead of any other word that would have worked)?
Is this something that happened to you in real life?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it happen on earth? yes would it help to find out the country? it wasn't really in a specific country...if you want to go down this route, then explore
So I suppose "What about bared?" would work as well? yes
Can the words that would work have 1? 2? 3? ... letters? they must have 4 or more
Was there a reason that you were thinking of "bread" (instead of any other word that would have worked)? no, it was just the one that came into my head (maybe I was just hungry)
Is this something that happened to you in real life? yes, though in real life I didn't say "what about bread", I just thought it
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I think this has something to do with a recent discussion in the chatroom? You can change the order of the letters except for the first and the last?
So the one who made you think of "bread" was on the lateral puzzle forum?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 716
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I think this has something to do with a recent discussion in the chatroom? yep You can change the order of the letters except for the first and the last? yes!
So the one who made you think of "bread" was on the lateral puzzle forum? yes. That's where the confusion over where it took place came in...it was in cyberspace
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other main character is: Bodo? Crazypalpig?
~damia~? Bentarm? Tanvishashikant? Emeraldink?
Is a particular post of anyone relevant?
Did he or she use a word corresponding to "bread" according to these rules?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other main character is: Bodo? Crazypalpig?
~damia~? Bentarm? Tanvishashikant? Emeraldink? well, Bodo brought it up, so I suppose it was him that my thought was in response to
Is a particular post of anyone relevant? well it was the general discussion that my thought was responding to, but looking back through the chatroom now I see that actually Damia had pretty much the same thought I did
Did he or she use a word corresponding to "bread" according to these rules? not sure what you mean
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presumably your thought was just, "If we're supposed to be able to read any word that has the letters inside it mixed up but the first and last letters the same, what about a word like "bread", which would then be indistinguishable from "beard" or "bared"." Is there more to this puzzle than that?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presumably your thought was just, "If we're supposed to be able to read any word that has the letters inside it mixed up but the first and last letters the same, what about a word like "bread", which would then be indistinguishable from "beard" or "bared"." Is there more to this puzzle than that? Yes, exactly.

*****SPOILER*****
There was a recent discussion in the chatroom about the fact that the human mind can read a word regardless of the order of the letters, provided the first and last letters are in the right place. My immediate thought was "what about words like bread, where the letters could be in various orders and still give a valid word?"
I can only suppose it would depend on context, like this:
Gvie us tdaoy our dlaiy berad
He berad his teteh
The man had a lnog witwe berad
Thanks for playing everyone

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: