[Sixty Eight] Introducing, The New..i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [Sixty Eight] Introducing, The New..iMe!! « Previous Next »

Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday, I could have made $60.00. Instead I paid $30.00... for the same service!
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you do this voluntarily?
Did you in fact get exactly the same thing done by the same person at the same time for 30 as you would have if you'd made $60? If not, was it a slightly different thing? done by a different person? at a different time?
Did you get anything tangible? Did anyone physically touch you in the process of giving you this service?
Does the service involve food? drink? computers? something medical? something cosmetic?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 752
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you do this voluntarily? yes
Did you in fact get exactly the same thing done by the same person at the same time for 30 as you would have if you'd made $60? no
If not, was it a slightly different thing? yes
done by a different person? no
at a different time? no
Did you get anything tangible?
yes
Did anyone physically touch you in the process of giving you this service? I hope not.. I'm ticklish =P
Does the service involve food? yes
drink?
computers?
something medical?
something cosmetic?no the rest
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd made $60, would you actually have been $60 richer at the end of the transaction than you were at the start? Or would you just have spent less on something else relevant?
Did someone give you some food? relevant what sort of food? meat? dairy? fruit? veg? cereal?
Were you in a restaurant? supermarket? market?
Were you buying the food for yourself to eat? with friends? to sell?
Did you in fact buy any food?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd made $60, would you actually have been $60 richer at the end of the transaction than you were at the start?yes
Or would you just have spent less on something else relevant? no
Did someone give you some food? no
relevant what sort of food? meat? dairy? fruit?this veg? cereal?
Were you in a restaurant? supermarket? market? 3 nos
Were you buying the food for yourself to eat? yeswith friends? noish.. to sell? no
Did you in fact buy any food?yes
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd made $60, would you have had the same food as you in fact did? the same amount of food?
relevant what type of fruit? a mix? bananas? apples? oranges? lemons? berries of some sort? something more exotic?
Were you intending to cook with the food?
Would transporting the food have been an issue if you'd taken $60 instead of paying?
Is it relevant what weight of fruit there was? In the $60 scenario? The $30 scenario?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd made $60, would you have had the same food as you in fact did? no
the same amount of food? no
relevant what type of fruit?yes a mix? bananas? apples?....score! oranges? lemons? berries of some sort? something more exotic? no to the others
Were you intending to cook with the food? irrel
Would transporting the food have been an issue if you'd taken $60 instead of paying? no
Is it relevant what weight of fruit there was? In the $60 scenario? The $30 scenario?no.. otrt for both
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you then have got different apples if you'd taken money instead of paying? better quality? worse quality?
Woudl you have got more apples? less apples? Smaller apples? bigger apples?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you then have got different apples if you'd taken money instead of paying? better quality? worse quality? no
Would you have got more apples? yes but... less apples? Smaller apples? bigger apples?no
an FA may be ripening
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd taken money instead of paying, would you have got any apples?
As it was, did you get any apples?
Relevant how many apples you did get? approximately $30 worth?
Is the condition the fruit was in in either case relevant? Is the size of the apples relevant in either case? the packaging the apples came in? the provenance of the apples?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you'd taken money instead of paying, would you have got any apples? yope
As it was, did you get any apples? yes
Relevant how many apples you did get? yesapproximately $30 worth? yes, I got my money's worth for the relevant transaction
Is the condition the fruit was in in either case relevant?no Is the size of the apples relevant in either case? nothe packaging the apples came in? yope to FAthe provenance of the apples?yes
Sparkplug1 (Sparkplug1)
Username: Sparkplug1

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you have some apples before?

did you make something with the apples?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you have some apples before? you mean before I said that? no

did you make something with the apples?if I understand the question..irrel
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with buying in bulk? I.e. if you bought the apples in bulk and then sold what you didn't need, you would have made 3x what you paid for them?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant where you were? at an orchard? somewhere where one would expect people to be selling apples?
Did you pick the apples yourself?
If you'd taken money instead of paying, would you immediately afterwards have been the owner of more apples than you were before you took the money? at any point afterwards?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with buying in bulk? I.e. if you bought the apples in bulk and then sold what you didn't need, you would have made 3x what you paid for them?no

Is it relevant where you were?yes at an orchard? yes somewhere where one would expect people to be selling apples? irrel
Did you pick the apples yourself? yes
If you'd taken money instead of paying, would you immediately afterwards have been the owner of more apples than you were before you took the money? no at any point afterwards?no
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 922
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... if you had picked apples for the owner of the orchard, he would have paid you $60? But you picked apples for yourself, so you wound up paying 30$?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... if you had picked apples for the owner of the orchard, he would have paid you $60? But you picked apples for yourself, so you wound up paying 30$?That's it!!.. sound the horn it's a...

********SPOILER********SPOILER********SPOILER********SPOILER

On Saturday I had a conversaton with a brother-in-law who knows a bit about how orchards harvest apples.. well I was "picking his brains" [sorry] because I am hopelessly curious and was wondering if there is any new technology in the apple picking business.. you know, like a machine from Dr. Seuss with a big arm and a white gloved hand reaching into the tree, etc. But as it turns out, if there is any new technology.. it's not worth much, so it's a man, a sack, and a step ladder.
Then he told me that on his brother's farm in Pennsylvania He is invited to work the orchard any available hours and that they pay $20 per bin full of apples... [I'd say a bin is the size of a love seat.] He can pick four bins in three hours.

The next day my family enjoyed a popular pastime in the Hudson Valley and elsewhere.. "pick your own"...paid $30 to pick two big bags of apples.....
but all I could think of was "how strange".. surely in the two hours we were at the orchard we could have MADE $60!!

Then compared myself to a new product from Apple Inc. and thus the title. :-]
Nice quickie Thanks!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: