[DLcygnet] Murder for a jar of red rum Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [DLcygnet] Murder for a jar of red rum « Previous Next »

Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)
Username: Dlcygnet

Post Number: 913
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't wait any longer DeathatEaster... I love these games too.

As you regain consciousness, a monitor turns on and this scary white-faced clown says, "Hello lateral thinking puzzle forum! I want to play a game. So far in what could loosely be called your life, you've made a living puzzling others. Society would call you a thinker, a riddler, a sphinx. I call you unworthy of the body you possess, of the life that you've been given. Now we will see if you are willing to look backward rather than forward, to give up the one thing you rely on in order to go on puzzling. The room you are in is an air tight vault. The vault is ten inches of steel and titanium all around with only a computer panel to type in the very complicated passcode system. They are so complicated there are even reminders for the owner at nearly every screen. If you do not figure out the passwords and phrases in time, you will sufficate. Even better, every wrong answer depletes your air supply. Think of it like a test. Taking into account that you are at a great disadvantage here I'm going to give you a hint as to the first password, so listen carefully. The hint is this... It'll always be odd. How much blood will you shed for my favorite drink, LTPF? Live or die, make your choice."
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check all walls, floor and ceiling - is there anything on any of them? writing? any objects in the vault?

look at the computer panel password system - please describe in more detail? can the password be numbers and letters? can passwords be any length?

look at the reminders - do they have anything written on them? or if you mean the reminders are in the computer screen can you just tell us what they say?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type in "never even" to the keypad
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~damia~
check all walls, floor and ceiling - is there anything on any of them? writing? any objects in the vault? Walls, floors, and ceiling are bare except for the computer panel and what appears to be the outline of the vault door.

look at the computer panel password system - please describe in more detail? The only thing on the computer screen is "(2)" and the keyboard is standard Querty can the password be numbers and letters? Yes, but... can passwords be any length? Yes, but...

look at the reminders - do they have anything written on them? or if you mean the reminders are in the computer screen can you just tell us what they say? "(2)"

Bentarm
Type in "never even" to the keypad
The computer beeps an affirmative and the screen switches to a new page that reads "Um, which person? (2)"
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type in "me"
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tsoram1970
Type in "me" The computer beeps a negative and you hear a brief hissing/whooshing sound as a little air is released from the room.
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehe, I've been referenced. Boogay.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try "eh, he"
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deathateaster
Hehe, I've been referenced. Boogay. Yep! And I'm waiting for part 4!

Bentarm
try "eh, he" You feel a brief draft as a little more air leaves the room. (Good try though)
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"meh, them"?
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Oh who"?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm
"meh, them"? You hear a faint cackling as a little more air leaves the room.

Enjay
"Oh who"? The computer chirps again as the screen view shifts and is replaced by the sadistic clown once more, who seems content to glare at you before the next page flickers into view. The words "Approach your Deity (4)" appear.
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do God?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do God? Whoosh... a little more air seeps out of the room.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 838
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to your god

(aside thought (not spoken) to other LTPF peeps... I think the number in brackets is the number of words...am I right?)
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 949
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tsoram1970
Go to your god Brief sucking noise as more air leaves the chamber.

(aside thought (not spoken) to other LTPF peeps... I think the number in brackets is the number of words...am I right? Yep!)
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Do go to god"?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm
"Do go to god"? Silently the words are replaced with "Detection via Sound (1)"
Sparkplug1 (Sparkplug1)
Username: Sparkplug1

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"heard"?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sparkplug1
"heard"? ...the whistling wind as even more gets sucked out of the room.

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

radar

Sparky, just so we don't suffocate, the answers are ALWAYS palindromes, phrases that can be spelled both backwards AND forwards and still say the same thing. The title is one
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig
radar A brief flicker and your answer is replaced with "Sentient biped, the blueprint, manmade river: Country! (7)"

Sparky, just so we don't suffocate, the answers are ALWAYS palindromes, phrases that can be spelled both backwards AND forwards and still say the same thing. The title is one I did, did I?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man, a plan, a canal panama
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay
A man, a plan, a canal panama And just as quickly, the computer spits out "Celebration pitfall or snare (2)"
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Party trap
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay
Party trap The screen spits out "Villainous Vegetable or Color (2)"
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evil olive
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann
Evil olive The screen flickers again as the deranged clown's face replaces the answer, he is clearly quite miffed but somehow still seems to be smiling. Just as suddenly a new page replaces the face and reads, "A Friend's hit (2)"
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Pal's slap"?
If and only if (don't want to risk losing any more air) that doesn't work, try
"Pal slap"
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay
"Pal's slap"? The answer fades to black and... "Jolly old St. Nick visits the Space Center (4)" takes it's place.
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Santa at NASA?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beccaann
A Santa at NASA? A whooshing sound is nowhere to be heard as the text, "Fast paced vehicle (1)," appears on the screen.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"racecar"
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

racecar
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 981
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay
"racecar" The phrase "Satan's existance was doubtful (4)" replaces the answer.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Devil never even lived"?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 982
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay
"Devil never even lived"? "Slimy rodent at the clean animal park (6)" flashes onto the screen.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo"
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 984
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm
"Oozy rat in a sanitary zoo" /b{And just as quickly, the text is replaced with "Time for a Shootout (1)"}
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

noon?
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 986
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bentarm
noon? The screen flickers and is replaced with the final confirmation page that only says "(3)"

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swallows nervously

Please don't type these in the keyboard, but are the other palindrome relevant? Are we supposed to make one up with 3 words?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type "no drape pardon" into the keypad and run for freedom (thanks Crazypalpig, I was completely stuck!)

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah I get it now! even I didn't get the connection until you said that!

N|ever even
O|h who

D|o go to God
R|adar
A|man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
P|arty trap
E|vil otive

P|al's slap
A|Santa at NASA
R|acecar
D|evil never even lived
O|ozy rat in a sanitary zoo
N|oon

Yo banana boy :D:D Next puzzle? This was fun!
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(I suppose the password could actually be "nod, rape, pardon", but I'm not sure if the spacing has been relevant for previous answers, as technically the spacing ruins the palidromicness)
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig
Swallows nervously

Please don't type these in the keyboard, but are the other palindrome relevant? Yes Are we supposed to make one up with 3 words? The right one

Bentarm
Type "no drape pardon" into the keypad and run for freedom (thanks Crazypalpig, I was completely stuck!) You hear a distinct hiss and whoosh as the seals to the vault release and the door begins to swing open into a grand entry way complete with red carpet. There aren't any curtains, or an audience for that matter, so no chance at taking bow; however, there may yet be an encore!

Congratulations Bentarm, Enjay, Beccaann, and Crazypalpig. Y'all made very short work of that one. Clearly I didn't need to leave you with so much air. Gimme a sec and I'll post the official $poiler.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was hoping for a clue for "Satan, oscillate metallic sonatas", but I don't suppose that was ever an option given what you were headed for :-)
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*************** SPOILER ****************

As the group of LTPF members cautiously their way out of the vault, the computer screen switches again to the now screaming clown. "How!" He cries, "How could they figure out such a long password!!! It has nearly 200 characters! Curse you meddling kids! The palindromes! The accronym! All correct!" And as he continues wailing at how short the game was and the loss of his precious red rum, another figure appears in the back - on one of his monitors. If anybody waits around and watches the screen, they'll see a clawlike metalic hand in that background screen, petting a cat. A new, deep voice remarks, "You have failed me, Jigsaw. You know how I reward failure." The hand smashes a button on his console, causing the cat to scatter or hide, and the clown, almost comically, explodes in a puff of grey smoke. "I'll get you next time LTPF. NEXT TIME..."

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bring it on!

I just hope you'll put enough air for at leat 8 incorrect guesses
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saw-inspired morbidity i see :-D
Dlcygnet (Dlcygnet)

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crazypalpig
I just hope you'll put enough air for at leat 8 incorrect guesses So 7 gulps it is? *grins wickedly*

Noobdogg
Saw-inspired morbidity i see :-D THIS TIME. I get my theme inspiration from a couple places if you catch the reference at the end.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: