[bentarm] C-Section Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [bentarm] C-Section « Previous Next »

Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The delivery was late, he died
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he= h? a? m?

was it a baby delivery? (I know I'm probably setting myself up for this one!)

or was it a delivery of drugs? cocaine? money to pay for drugs/cocaine? money to pay off a bet?

c-section as in cesarean section, or c as in money--"c-note" (I think it's one hundred dollar bill)?

last crazy guess--c section as in an arena/theater/etc. place where there is a "section c"...?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he= h? a? m? yes to all

was it a baby delivery? no (I know I'm probably setting myself up for this one!)

or was it a delivery of drugs? cocaine? money to pay for drugs/cocaine? money to pay off a bet? no to all

c-section as in cesarean section, or c as in money--"c-note" (I think it's one hundred dollar bill)?

last crazy guess--c section as in an arena/theater/etc. place where there is a "section c"...? C-Section as in caesarian section, but that's completely irrelevant to the puzzle and was just inspired by the word "delivery" being in the statement
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Delivery = the bowling of a ball?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Delivery = the bowling of a ball? no
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Delivery as in postage of something? Handing something over? Or some more obscure meaning of the word? Delivery of a speech? Lines in a play/film?
"Stand and deliver" relevant?
Tweek (Tweek)
Username: Tweek

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a payload of some type, right? Physical? Conceptual?

There's a first party, some person, collective group of persons, or other entity, that currently has possession of the payload, or is otherwise able to somehow transfer the payload to the second party given a medium. Whatever it is, can I call it Alice?

There's a second party, some person, collective group of persons, or other entity, that currently does not have possession of the payload, but will gain possession of it after the delivery is completed. Whatever it is, can I call it Bob?

There may be a third party that interferes in some way with the normal delivery of the payload. Does it exist? Can I call it Eve?

Is 'he' Alice? Bob? Eve?
Does 'he' know Alice? Bob? Eve? about the delivery? about the payload?
Were the payload to never have arrived, would 'he' have died?
Were the payload to have arrived on time, would 'he' have died?

Cause of death: murder? suicide? something that would qualify as manslaughter? accidental fatal injury of some type? Did he die while under professional medical care?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Delivery as in postage of something? Handing something over? this Or some more obscure meaning of the word? not an obscure meaning Delivery of a speech? Lines in a play/film?
"Stand and deliver" relevant? no to all

There's a payload of some type, right? Physical? Conceptual? physical

There's a first party, some person, collective group of persons, or other entity, that currently has possession of the payload, or is otherwise able to somehow transfer the payload to the second party given a medium. Whatever it is, can I call it Alice? if you like, it's a person

There's a second party, some person, collective group of persons, or other entity, that currently does not have possession of the payload, but will gain possession of it after the delivery is completed. Whatever it is, can I call it Bob? if you like, it's also a person

There may be a third party that interferes in some way with the normal delivery of the payload. Does it exist? no Can I call it Eve? I suppose so

Is 'he' Alice? Bob? Eve? no to all (why not call him Chris?)
Does 'he' know Alice? noish Bob? yes Eve? n/a about the delivery? noish about the payload? yesish
Were the payload to never have arrived, would 'he' have died? yes
Were the payload to have arrived on time, would 'he' have died? no

Cause of death: murder? suicide? this something that would qualify as manslaughter? accidental fatal injury of some type? Did he die while under professional medical care? no to rest
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, so Alice sends Bob something (in the standard sense of 'sending something') which is a physical item, with mass, and which isn't hindered by any third entity, but for some reason arrives late, which causes Chris to kill himself. And if Chris would have received it on time, he wouldn't have killed himself. Correct?

Would the average person...

have one of these in their house?
be able to send this item in the way it was sent?
be likely to send this item? (you can skip this one if it doesn't apply)
gain something of worth by having it?
gain something of worth by receiving it?

Did Chris...

have something like this already?
need to give the item to someone else in order to not need to commit suicide?
have a job that dealt with these?

Was the delivery...

regular?
through standard means? USPS? UPS? electronically?
underground? in person? would it be illegal to ship this through standard means?
stalled by something important to this puzzle?

Was the item...

a letter? something that conveyed information?
money? something that equated to wealth?
a tool, or utility of some type? something he needed to avoid a painful death?
incriminating?
something that would be used directly by Chris to avoid suicide? something that would be given to someone else by Chris?

Would Bob have given Chris the item?
If Chris wouldn't have killed himself, what would have been most likely to happen to him: bankruptcy? prison time? murder? public humiliation? loss of someone important to him? painful death? withdrawl? nothing significant?
Would Chris still have killed himself if he had a lot of money? if he wasn't very widely known at all? was there anything else, besides the item, that could have prevented his suicide?
Did Chris's suicide benefit another party? If so, was that why he carried it out? was that why the delivery was stalled?
The delivery was late because it was stalled by other deliveries? because of unusual circumstances? because the deliverers weren't aware that someone would kill themselves if it arrived late? because the deliverers *were* aware that someone would kill themselves...?
Did Bob pressure Chris to commit suicide? Does Alice know Bob?
Is Bob related to Chris? is Bob Chris's boss? coworker?
Was the lack of an item the direct reason that Chris killed himself? Did he kill himself thinking that it would never come? Did he kill himself thinking that something happened to it? Did the late delivery convey some information to Chris that made him decide to kill himself?
Was there a deadline of some type that was missed as a result of late delivery? Did something tragic happen as a result of late delivery?
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 805
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe off the wall but, is it anything to do with organ donation? did Chris deliver an organ too late (either by his fault or someone else's), and someone died? Because of this, he felt bad and killed himself?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, so Alice sends Bob something (in the standard sense of 'sending something') which is a physical item, with mass, and which isn't hindered by any third entity, but for some reason arrives late, which causes Chris to kill himself. yes And if Chris would have received it on time, he wouldn't have killed himself. Correct? yes-ish

Would the average person...

have one of these in their house? no
be able to send this item in the way it was sent? yes
be likely to send this item? no (you can skip this one if it doesn't apply)
gain something of worth by having it? not really
gain something of worth by receiving it? apart from "it", no

Did Chris...

have something like this already? no
need to give the item to someone else in order to not need to commit suicide? no
have a job that dealt with these? no

Was the delivery...

regular? yes-ish
through standard means? yes USPS? UPS? electronically? no to these
underground? no in person? yes would it be illegal to ship this through standard means? I'm not actually sure - let's say no, it's irrelevant anyway
stalled by something important to this puzzle? no, the reason the delivery was late is irrelevant

Was the item...

a letter? something that conveyed information?
money? something that equated to wealth?
a tool, or utility of some type? something he needed to avoid a painful death?
incriminating? none of these
something that would be used directly by Chris to avoid suicide? something that would be given to someone else by Chris? no to both

Would Bob have given Chris the item? yes-ish
If Chris wouldn't have killed himself, what would have been most likely to happen to him: bankruptcy? prison time? murder? public humiliation? loss of someone important to him? painful death? withdrawl? nothing significant? none of the above
Would Chris still have killed himself if he had a lot of money? yes if he wasn't very widely known at all? yes was there anything else, besides the item, that could have prevented his suicide? yes-ish
Did Chris's suicide benefit another party? no If so, was that why he carried it out? n/a was that why the delivery was stalled? irrel
The delivery was late because it was stalled by other deliveries? because of unusual circumstances? because the deliverers weren't aware that someone would kill themselves if it arrived late? because the deliverers *were* aware that someone would kill themselves...? all irrelevant
Did Bob pressure Chris to commit suicide? Does Alice know Bob? no to both
Is Bob related to Chris? is Bob Chris's boss? coworker? no to both
Was the lack of an item the direct reason that Chris killed himself? noish Did he kill himself thinking that it would never come? no Did he kill himself thinking that something happened to it? no Did the late delivery convey some information to Chris that made him decide to kill himself? noish
Was there a deadline of some type that was missed as a result of late delivery? no Did something tragic happen as a result of late delivery? apart from Chris' suicide, no

maybe off the wall but, is it anything to do with organ donation? did Chris deliver an organ too late (either by his fault or someone else's), and someone died? Because of this, he felt bad and killed himself? no to all
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quickly: something bad would have happened to Chris had he not committed suicide, so he decided to kill himself?

Maybe he did it because he felt his own values were compromised? because he felt guilt over something related to the absence of the item? maybe he thought he was posessed? maybe he would have suffered non-lethal pain of some type? because he would become disfigured or disabled as a result? maybe he realized that he would never have something that he wanted badly? maybe he was just tired of life and the lack of the item was the last straw?

Afterward, if he didn't decide to do it, would he be able to live a normal life afterward? Would people think less of him for any reason whatsoever? Would he be any worse off?

... I'm guessing that if I knew why he did it, I'd agree that there was at least some semi-sane reason for it?
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, it was a physical item, right? One that Alice handed over to Bob in person? Nothing like a conversation or exchange of info or something else? And what was important was the item and not data on it?

... I'm missing something big.
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quickly: something bad would have happened to Chris had he not committed suicide, so he decided to kill himself? no-ish

Maybe he did it because he felt his own values were compromised? yes-ish because he felt guilt over something related to the absence of the item? yope maybe he thought he was posessed? maybe he would have suffered non-lethal pain of some type? because he would become disfigured or disabled as a result? maybe he realized that he would never have something that he wanted badly? maybe he was just tired of life and the lack of the item was the last straw? no to rest

Afterward, if he didn't decide to do it, would he be able to live a normal life afterward? probably Would people think less of him for any reason whatsoever? yope Would he be any worse off? no

... I'm guessing that if I knew why he did it, I'd agree that there was at least some semi-sane reason for it? probably

Also, it was a physical item, right? yes (with a very slight ish) One that Alice handed over to Bob in person? yes Nothing like a conversation or exchange of info or something else? nothing like this And what was important was the item and not data on it? yes

... I'm missing something big. indeed you are :-D
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone die directly over the absence of this item? Was anyone harmed physically over the absence? emotionally? financially? Was Charlie involved in questionable business practices? Would Charlie's profession itself be legitimately considered unusual or unethical?

Was 'the item' a person? an animal? a living being? organic (composed of carbon)?

Is the method of suicide relevant?

The 'item' never came on time. What determines if the item was on time; did someone die before the item was received? was some deadline crossed? did Chris give up waiting for it?

Could this puzzle make sense in modern times?

Right now for some reason I'm thinking back to a recent game that takes place under the sea somewhere...
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone die directly over the absence of this item? no Was anyone harmed physically over the absence? no emotionally? yes-ish financially? no Was Charlie involved in questionable business practices? Would Charlie's profession itself be legitimately considered unusual or unethical? you mean Chris? His job is irrelevant

Was 'the item' a person? no an animal? no a living being? no organic (composed of carbon)? yes

Is the method of suicide relevant? no

The 'item' never came on time. What determines if the item was on time; did someone die before the item was received? well... yes was some deadline crossed? yes did Chris give up waiting for it? no

Could this puzzle make sense in modern times? yes

Right now for some reason I'm thinking back to a recent game that takes place under the sea somewhere... I've no idea what you're talking about, so it's almost certainly irrelevant
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The emotional damage done - was it as a direct result of Chris's suicide? or of the absence of the item?

'Someone died before the item was received' - Chris? anyone else?

Is romance involved? Is Bob Chris's wife? significant other? did Chris want Bob to receive it and think of him? If so, did Chris send some sort of gift, that didn't arrive before Bob left forever or made some other decision that left Chris depressed?

Could Chris's suicide be accurately described as being caused by depression?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The emotional damage done - was it as a direct result of Chris's suicide? no or of the absence of the item? yes

'Someone died before the item was received' - Chris? yes anyone else? no

Is romance involved? Is Bob Chris's wife? significant other? did Chris want Bob to receive it and think of him? If so, did Chris send some sort of gift, that didn't arrive before Bob left forever or made some other decision that left Chris depressed? no to all

Could Chris's suicide be accurately described as being caused by depression? no
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CORRECTION The emotional damage done - was it as a direct result of Chris's suicide? no or of the absence of the item? yes <- this should probably be yes-ish or yope
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, although no one died over it, the absence of the item was something that Chris couldn't live down; someone other than Chris was emotionally damaged over it, and Chris felt responsible. Accurate?

Is Bob or Alice really involved that much in this puzzle? Is there another intended recipient for the item, that Chris would give the item to if he had received it?

This is a subjective question, of course, but is Chris ethically responsible for the implications of the late delivery, not including his own suicide? Are Alice or Bob responsible?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, although no one died over it, the absence of the item was something that Chris couldn't live down; yes someone other than Chris was emotionally damaged over it, no and Chris felt responsible. Accurate? see above

Is Bob or Alice really involved that much in this puzzle? yes-ish Is there another intended recipient for the item, that Chris would give the item to if he had received it? no

This is a subjective question, of course, but is Chris ethically responsible for the implications of the late delivery, not including his own suicide? Are Alice or Bob responsible probably none of them, if any, it would be alice or bob
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Either Alice or Bob screwed up the delivery, and this had consequences that caused Chris to for whatever reason turn emo?

Would Chris have not decided to kill himself, would he have to live with some impairment? knowledge that he was somehow responsible for something bad that happened?

Is there something bad that happened to anyone in this puzzle as a result of late delivery? Alice? Bob? Chris, besides his suicide? someone else?

The item ... is it food? flowers? paper? something you'd find in a grocery store? hardware store? electronics store? Is the item unique; would a replacement be difficult to find? If it isn't unique, is it distinguishable from similar items of that type in some way?

I'm guessing that this isn't a cookie-cutter reason for suicide ... did he leave a note?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Either Alice or Bob screwed up the delivery, and this had consequences that caused Chris to for whatever reason turn emo? yes

Would Chris have not decided to kill himself, would he have to live with some impairment? no knowledge that he was somehow responsible for something bad that happened? yope

Is there something bad that happened to anyone in this puzzle as a result of late delivery? Alice? Bob? Chris, besides his suicide? someone else? no to all

The item ... is it food? this flowers? paper? something you'd find in a grocery store? hardware store? electronics store? Is the item unique; would a replacement be difficult to find? no to all If it isn't unique, is it distinguishable from similar items of that type in some way? no

I'm guessing that this isn't a cookie-cutter reason for suicide ... did he leave a note? possibly, irrelevant
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pizza delivery? Or another takeaway delivery? Is Alice a delivery person? Postman?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pizza delivery? Or another takeaway delivery? no to both Is Alice a delivery person? yes Postman? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the exact type of food delivered relevant? Did it belong to Alice and she was just giving it to Bob? Or was she employed to deliver things? Was the food from a supermarket? Other store? Had Bob ordered it? Paid for it?
Is it relevant how late the delivery was?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the exact type of food delivered relevant? yes-ish Did it belong to Alice and she was just giving it to Bob? Or was she employed to deliver things? irrelevant, let's go with this one Was the food from a supermarket? no Other store? this Had Bob ordered it? yes Paid for it? yes
Is it relevant how late the delivery was? no
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so nothing bad happened to ANYONE in this puzzle, besides Chris who killed himself?

Maybe any animal was affected negatively? some inanimate object? something with human qualities that isn't alive, such as a marionette or a robot? something that someone, Chris perhaps, has emotional attachments to? maybe he thinks it is a living thing? maybe someone has told him to think this? even if indirectly? Was the item of food involved?

Or maybe there was some abstract concept that was violated or cheapened by the events in this puzzle?

Is the food something that Chris would eat himself? Would Chris instead give it to someone else? Is Chris under certain dietary restrictions? requirements? Diabetic? Relevant?

Could I call up some place in the Yellow Pages and order one of these right now, have it delivered within 30 minutes or it's free, if I lived in a city and not in the middle of nowhere?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so nothing bad happened to ANYONE in this puzzle, besides Chris who killed himself? not exactly

Maybe any animal was affected negatively? some inanimate object? something with human qualities that isn't alive, such as a marionette or a robot? something that someone, Chris perhaps, has emotional attachments to? maybe he thinks it is a living thing? maybe someone has told him to think this? even if indirectly? Was the item of food involved? no to all

Or maybe there was some abstract concept that was violated or cheapened by the events in this puzzle? no to both

Is the food something that Chris would eat himself? yes Would Chris instead give it to someone else? no Is Chris under certain dietary restrictions? requirements? Diabetic? Relevant? all irrelevant

Could I call up some place in the Yellow Pages and order one of these right now, have it delivered within 30 minutes or it's free, if I lived in a city and not in the middle of nowhere? almost certainly not
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLARIFICATION
OK, so nothing bad happened to ANYONE in this puzzle, besides Chris who killed himself? not exactly by "not exactly" I mean "it is not exactly true to say that no-one in this puzzle had something bad happen to them other than Chris
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so there *is* someone else, or a group of people, in this puzzle that were wronged? And not directly as a result of the suicide, but as a direct result of a lack of food?

Was Chris a media personality of some type? Did he have a wide reach to some sort of audience? Maybe that audience was 'wronged' somehow when they realized that Chris wasn't going to eat the item? Maybe it's a little less wide-reaching than that, maybe a handful of people? Were these people expecting Chris to eat the item? Maybe these people were betting on Chris to eat this item? Was Chris a Johnny Knoxville-type attention whore, that pulled these stunts for a living, but technically anyone could do it?

Is the food poisonous? usually lethal to eat? or lethal in certain circumstances, such as blowfish, or a food allergy? If someone was seen eating this food, and it was obvious what the food was / did / came from, would anyone react? Is it something that is normally eaten? Is it something that a lot of people avoid? maybe because it is far too spicy for the majority of the mild salsa-consuming public?

Chris couldn't eat the item, because it wasn't delivered on time. Therefore, as a direct result of Chris not eating the item on time, something bad happened to someone or some group of people. Chris then decided to blow his brains out. Correct?
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the food mostly of animal origins? of plant origins? neither?

If animal: aquatic? aviary? mammal?
If plant: fruit? vegetable? something that would be regularly farmed, like wheat?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so there *is* someone else, or a group of people, in this puzzle that were wronged? yes, one person And not directly as a result of the suicide, but as a direct result of a lack of food? no

Was Chris a media personality of some type? no Did he have a wide reach to some sort of audience? no Maybe that audience was 'wronged' somehow when they realized that Chris wasn't going to eat the item? Maybe it's a little less wide-reaching than that, maybe a handful of people? Were these people expecting Chris to eat the item? Maybe these people were betting on Chris to eat this item? Was Chris a Johnny Knoxville-type attention whore, that pulled these stunts for a living, but technically anyone could do it? all no

Is the food poisonous? no usually lethal to eat? or lethal in certain circumstances, such as blowfish, or a food allergy? no to all If someone was seen eating this food, and it was obvious what the food was / did / came from, would anyone react? no Is it something that is normally eaten? no Is it something that a lot of people avoid? no maybe because it is far too spicy for the majority of the mild salsa-consuming public? no

Chris couldn't eat the item, because it wasn't delivered on time. correct Therefore, as a direct result of Chris not eating the item on time, something bad happened to someone or some group of people. incorrect Chris then decided to blow his brains out. correct

If animal: aquatic? aviary? this mammal?
If plant: fruit? vegetable? something that would be regularly farmed, like wheat?
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a bird that people usually eat? Chicken, turkey, quail, etc.

Was it an endangered bird?

It wasn't alive at the time of delivery? Chris had no emotional attachment to it?

That 'one person', was affected by Chris's suicide? by something else?

Does this puzzle happen to reference any type of work of literature, work of fiction, tale, urban legend, or other type of commonly shared story in any form?
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROT13 to read:

Ner nal ryrzragf bs gur pynffvp yngreny chmmyr nobhg gur crefba jub rngf nyongebff naq gura xvyyf uvzfrys orpnhfr ur ernyvmrf gung ur unf arire gnfgrq nyongebff orsber, zrnavat gung lrnef ntb juvyr fgenaqrq ba n qrfreg vfynaq ur ngr jung ur gubhtu jnf nyongebff ohg jnf npghnyyl n qrnq uhzna obql, eryrinag urer?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a bird that people usually eat? Chicken, turkey, quail, etc. no to all

Was it an endangered bird? I don't think so

It wasn't alive at the time of delivery? Chris had no emotional attachment to it? both correct

That 'one person', was affected by Chris's suicide? no by something else? yes

Does this puzzle happen to reference any type of work of literature, work of fiction, tale, urban legend, or other type of commonly shared story in any form? it does indeed

Alex319 has essentially solved the puzzle - if you're as bad as me at resisting the urge to read rot13ed spiolers, I'm more than happy to finish this one off now, otherwise, feel free to carry on...
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guvf jbhyqa'g unccra gb vaibyir nal nyongebffrf, jbhyq vg?
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guvf jbhyqa'g unccra gb vaibyir nal nyongebffrf, jbhyq vg? LRF!!

For those of you who don't understand the above discussion, here's a....

******* SPOILER ********

Alice was late delivering the albatross meat to Bob's deli. Chris went in and ordered an albatross sandwich, hoping to check that the meat he had eaten on that island many years ago was in fact albatross. Bob, being a mildly unscrupulous sort, decided that Chris probably didn't know what albatross tasted like anyway and just used some emu meat. Chris didn't recognise the taste, concluded that the meat he'd eaten was in fact his dead wife and topped himself.

I've always been of the opinion that the sailor in the classic lateral puzzle should at least have tried two or three different sources of albatross meat, just to make sure... what do you think?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very true, but then people in the classic lateral puzzles never seem to behave very sensibly to me...

I must admit, I couldn't resist reading the rot13ed text, but it still didn't dawn on me how the late delivery was relevant. Good puzzle...I like the updatings of the classics :-)
Tweek (Tweek)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ever since the item was identified as food I thought that putting the albatross puzzle in reverse would make a nice third 'The delivery was late, he didn't die' type of puzzle, where he wouldn't have eaten anything as a result of late delivery, but I didn't want to ask if this one was the same, or I'd give away the answer, hence why I avoided asking directly 'is this a classic puzzle'.

This was pretty good.
Booklover (Booklover)

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, great twist to a classic puzzle!
Bentarm (Bentarm)

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's quite fun running puzzles based on the classics, partly because it allows you to realise (again) just why they are classics. Some of those questions were darn near impossible to answer... the idea that eating something now could cause someone to commit suicide as a result of something that happened years ago is just so... well... lateral.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: