[BeccaAnn] Delicious! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2007 » [BeccaAnn] Delicious! « Previous Next »

Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did something for the first time last week, and because I enjoyed it so much, I now have the irresistable urge to call my friend by a quite silly nickname. Why?

Very likely a quickie!
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your friend connected to the activity you did for the first time? Did he? she? do it with you? Did they tell you to do it? Recommend you to do it?
If ypou called them that nickname, would they understand why immediately? Would they object?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your friend connected to the activity you did for the first time?yes Did he?it's a he she? do it with you?no Did they tell you to do it?yope Recommend you to do it?yesish
If ypou called them that nickname, would they understand why immediately?yes Would they object?I'm not sure
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 832
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the nickname as a sort of thank you for introducing you to this enjoyable activity? Or acknowledging that they did so? Has the friend done the activity in the past, and enjoyed it? Did they tell you that you might enjoy it? Did they make the arrangements for you to do the activity?

The activity:
Is it a game of some kind?
Does it serve any purpose other than being enjoyable?
Do you do it alone? With others? Many others? In teams?
Does it involve physical activity?
Mental activity?
Could anybody do it? Or are there restrictions on who can do it?
Is there any particular reason why you did it for th first time last week and not before?
Will you do it again?
Can you just do the something whenever, or does it need a certain amount of organising?
Does it involve any equipment?

Are you and your friend human adults (you've gotta check)?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You ate something delicious? Put something on your menu?(I still remember you own a resteraunt or something)
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the nickname as a sort of thank you for introducing you to this enjoyable activity?No. Or acknowledging that they did so?Noish Has the friend done the activity in the past, and enjoyed it?yes Did they tell you that you might enjoy it?yope Did they make the arrangements for you to do the activity?yes

The activity:
Is it a game of some kind? no
Does it serve any purpose other than being enjoyable? that's very subjective, but I'll say no.
Do you do it alone?no With others?yope Many others?yope In teams?no
Does it involve physical activity? no
Mental activity? yope or yesish
Could anybody do it?yes, with very few irrelevant exceptions Or are there restrictions on who can do it? no
Is there any particular reason why you did it for th first time last week and not before? yes
Will you do it again? yes
Can you just do the something whenever, or does it need a certain amount of organising? Only at particular times, but not because of organizing, really
Does it involve any equipment? no

Are you and your friend human adults (you've gotta check)?
yes
You ate something delicious?no Put something on your menu?no(I still remember you own a resteraunt or something Well, I manage ome anyway. But not relevant.)
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 833
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason why you hadn't done it before...
You hadn't heard of it until the friend told you about it?
You had heard of it but never thought you'd enjoy it?
You were incapable of doing it for some reason?
Did something relevant happpen a week ago that allowed you to do the activity?

Are there other people present doing the same activity as you when you are doing it? Other animals? Or doing a similar activity? Helping you to do the activity?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason why you hadn't done it before...
You hadn't heard of it until the friend told you about it? no
You had heard of it but never thought you'd enjoy it? no
You were incapable of doing it for some reason?no
Did something relevant happpen a week ago that allowed you to do the activity?noish

Are there other people present doing the same activity as you when you are doing it?yes Other animals?no Or doing a similar activity?no Helping you to do the activity?no
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the activity involve use of
hands?
legs?
head?
body?
brain?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the activity involve use of
hands? hmm..yes, but not necessarily
legs? no
head? yes
body? meaning other than these specific parts, no, not really
brain? yes
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you answer? ask? questions? quiz relevant? puzzles?

Do you talk? eat? read? watch? listen? think?
Sparkplug1 (Sparkplug1)
Username: Sparkplug1

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

being hypnotized?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you answer?no ask?no questions?no quiz relevant?no puzzles?no

Do you talk?no eat?no read?possibly, but not necessarily watch?yes listen?yes think?not really

being hypnotized?no
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you watch a show? a tv program? did you go to a concert? a theatre performance?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you watch a show?yes a tv program?no did you go to a concert?noish a theatre performance?yes
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have to interact with the performers? Did you think beforehand that you would enjoy it as much as you did? Is it relevant where this took place? Who else was there?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have to interact with the performers?no Did you think beforehand that you would enjoy it as much as you did?I thought I would enjoy it, but it exceeded my expectations Is it relevant where this took place?yope Who else was there?yesish
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a normal theatre scene? if not, in a basement? Someone's house? a castle? somewhere else unique? an outdoor arena?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a normal theatre scene?yes if not, in a basement?no Someone's house?no a castle?no somewhere else unique?no an outdoor arena?no
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 711
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we have to find out what the play was? or what it was about?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we have to find out what the play was?yes, or maybe yesish or what it was about?yope
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title of the puzzle relevant?
Did a character in the show remind you of him?
Was it a musical? a play? an opera? a ballet? Broadway? Off Broadway? Pre-Broadway? Amateur? Professional? one act? school/youth theatre?
Booklover (Booklover)
Username: Booklover

Post Number: 834
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it an actual play, or was it something like improv?

were you one of the participants in the acting, or did you simply watch?

thinking of acting, did you call him "ham" as in "what a ham"?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title of the puzzle relevant? Peripherally
Did a character in the show remind you of him? Noish
Was it a musical? a play? an opera?this a ballet? Broadway? Off Broadway? Pre-Broadway? Amateur? Professional? one act? school/youth theatre?
It was an opera put on by the University of Georgia music school in conjuction with the Athens Symphony Orchestra
was it an actual play, or was it something like improv? See above

were you one of the participants in the acting, or did you simply watch? Just a spectator

thinking of acting, did you call him "ham" as in "what a ham"? no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your friend in the opera? Singng? Or did he take part in some other way? Like directing? In the orchestra?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your friend in the opera?yes Singng?yes Or did he take part in some other way?no Like directing?no In the orchestra?no
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 850
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they a particularly good performer? Is that why you enjoyed it so much? Is it relevant what the opera was? What part they played? Is the nickname based on their real name? Is the nickname connected to a famous opera singer or anything like that?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

relevant where it took place... on campus? University theastre? concert hall?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they a particularly good performer?yes Is that why you enjoyed it so much?I'm sure I would have enjoyed it regardless Is it relevant what the opera was?yes What part they played?yes Is the nickname based on their real name?no Is the nickname connected to a famous opera singer or anything like that?no

relevant where it took place... on campus? University theastre? concert hall? not relevant. it was at the local civic center.
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

modern opera?
classic?
Do I have to post a list of composers?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

modern opera?
classic?
Do I have to post a list of composers?
From 1885. I could just tell you, but what fun would that be?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 888
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gilbert and Sullivan?
1885 now that would be... Mikado! (I think!)

So Pooh-bah?
Nanki-pooh?
Koko?
The Mikado?
Pish-Tush?
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gilbert and Sullivan? yes
1885 now that would be... Mikado! indeed (I think!)

So Pooh-bah? this
Nanki-pooh?
Koko?
The Mikado?
Pish-Tush?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you friend was playing a character called Pooh-bah? (I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the opera).
Do you call them Pooh-bah? Something that sounds like it? Pooh Bear ;-)?
Were you familiar with the opera before seeing your friend in it? Relevant?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pooh Bah is the lord high everything else... also claims to be able to trace his descent from a primoridial protoplasmic globule... any of this relevant?

I really like the Mikado! I even had the honour of revising the List song for a Belfast company recently...
Beccaann (Beccaann)

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you friend was playing a character called Pooh-bah? yes(I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the opera).
Do you call them Pooh-bah?yes Something that sounds like it? Pooh Bear ;-)?
Were you familiar with the opera before seeing your friend in it?no Relevant?not really

Pooh Bah is the lord high everything else... also claims to be able to trace his descent from a primoridial protoplasmic globule... any of this relevant? no, other than it being a very memorable character!

I really like the Mikado! I even had the honour of revising the List song for a Belfast company recently...I really like it too!

********* SPOILER ****************

I recently met and befriended (started dating??) an old high school friend of one of my co-workers. He is attending the University of Georgia to get his masters degree in operatic performance. This intrigued me, as I had never seen an opera, even though I had always kind of wanted to. This friend asked me if I'd like to come see him perform in the Mikado, and got me free tickets. I went to the show and absolutely loved it. His role, Pooh Bah, is in my opinion one of the funniest, if not THE funniest character in the Mikado, and he performed it brilliantly. So brilliantly in fact, that I can't get his charcter out of my head, and I keep getting the urge to call him Pooh-Bah instead of his real name, Jason.

The title, by the way is a play on one of the other main characters in the opera, the much desired Yum-Yum.
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative". I've done Mikado at least three times, I think - twice with Stanford and once with San Jose G&S, or possibly that was Lyric Theatre, not sure. The main list change I remember from the last time was the addition of "The Stanford byciclist" (that got a laugh) It's pretty much my favorite G & S, although Iolanthe and Ruddigore are pretty fun to watch (Yeoman has the best horn part, though).
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a good laugh from

"Simon Cowell won't be missed I've got him on the list!"

oh and "the genealogist"!

We did Hot Mikado some years ago and the guy who did Pooh Bah did a great impersonation job when it came to the conversation between the officers of state ( Come over here where X can't hear you!)... brought the house down!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: