[woubit] Never grow at all Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2007 » [woubit] Never grow at all « Previous Next »

Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the other hand - why?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5 fingers? Fiddler on the roof relevant? WHat are you holding with your other hand ?;)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5 fingers? no Fiddler on the roof relevant? not as far as I am aware What are you holding with your other hand ?;) no
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the "first hand" be who? what? when? where? how?

why does someone...?
why does something...?
are you asking this question?

is this based on personal experience?

is Peter Pan relevant?
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So not if it's on the other hand then it's not on the right hand..so laterally it's on the left? rings relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the "first hand" be who? what? when? where? how? all those questions are relevant, although I am not sure exactly what you mean by them

why does someone...? did
why does something...? no
are you asking this question? in this puzzle, yes

is this based on personal experience? no

is Peter Pan relevant? no

So not if it's on the other hand then it's not on the right hand..so laterally it's on the left? yes rings relevant? no
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was referring to an expression that means "looking at the opposite side of a matter"
is that expression relevant?

is poker relevant?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone suggest "why not" do something?

Did you read something that prompted the question?

Or hear something? Something on TV? Is this puzzle related to weightless poetry? Bridge? Dancing?

Would "alternatively" be a reasonable substitute for "on the other hand" without changing the sense of the puzzle? Or are we talking literally about the appendage with five digits? Or the hand of a clock? Or some other sort of hand?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was referring to an expression that means "looking at the opposite side of a matter"
is that expression relevant? no, not really, although...

is poker relevant? no

Did someone suggest "why not" do something? yes, but this may mislead

Did you read something that prompted the question? yes, but this may also mislead

Or hear something? no Something on TV? no Is this puzzle related to weightless poetry? Bridge? Dancing? to none of those, but bonus marks for eliminating the obvious

Would "alternatively" be a reasonable substitute for "on the other hand" without changing the sense of the puzzle? no Or are we talking literally about the appendage with five digits? yes Or the hand of a clock? Or some other sort of hand? no - see above
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant which hand is the "other" hand? right? left?
Is the title relevant? will something never grow at all?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant which hand is the "other" hand? right? left? both could be regarded as "the other hand"
Is the title relevant? no will something never grow at all? indeed

ROSENCRANTZ (Cutting his fingernails) Another curious scientific phenomenon is that the fingernails grow after death, as does the beard.

GUILDENSTERN What?

ROSENCRANTZ Beard!

GUILDENSTERN But you're not dead.

ROSENCRANTZ I didn't say they started to grow after death. The fingernails also grow before birth, though not the beard.

GUILDENSTERN What?

ROSENCRANTZ Beard! What's the matter with you? The toenails, on the other hand, never grow at all.

GUILDENSTERN The toenails on the other hand never grow at all?

ROSENCRANTZ Do they? It's a funny thing - I cut my fingernails all the time, and every time I think to cut them, they need cutting. Now, for instance. And yet I never, to the best of my knowledge, cut my toenails. They ought to be curled under my feet by now, but it doesn't happen. Perhaps I cut them absent-mindedly, when I'm thinking of something else.

Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the hand belong to a real person? A fictional person? Is it your hand? An adult's hand? A child's hand? A man's hand? A woman's?

Do we need to know what sort of thing is on the other hand? A glove of sorts? A rubber glove? Something surgical? A gauntlet? Is the phrase "on hand" relevant? Is falconry relevant? Is it one of those "teasing gloves" sometimes used to amuse cats? Is something written on the hand? Is there a mole on the hand? A birthmark? A wart? A whitlow? A blister? Does someone receive a slap on the hand?

Is the Stoppard quotation relevant in any way except to link the puzzle statement to the title?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the hand belong to a real person? yes A fictional person? Is it your hand? An adult's hand? A child's hand? A man's hand? this one A woman's?

Do we need to know what sort of thing is on the other hand? yes A glove of sorts? this A rubber glove? Something surgical? A gauntlet? Is the phrase "on hand" relevant? no Is falconry relevant? no Is it one of those "teasing gloves" sometimes used to amuse cats? no Is something written on the hand? no Is there a mole on the hand? nothing like this A birthmark? A wart? A whitlow? A blister? Does someone receive a slap on the hand? no

Is the Stoppard quotation relevant in any way except to link the puzzle statement to the title? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a glove get turned inside out at any point in the puzzle? Is it a solitary glove? Or one of a pair? Are any crimes involved? Did he switch gloves from one hand to the other? Was he aiming to avoid detection in some way? To avoid infection? Was he undergoing inspection? Was he trying gloves on in a shop? Any other relevant people involved? If so, how many [LTPF list of integers]? Any animals involved? Was he carrying out his normal daily job when he put the glove on the other hand?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a glove get turned inside out at any point in the puzzle? no Is it a solitary glove? Or one of a pair? this one Are any crimes involved? no Did he switch gloves from one hand to the other? no Was he aiming to avoid detection in some way? no To avoid infection? no Was he undergoing inspection? no Was he trying gloves on in a shop? no Any other relevant people involved? yes If so, how many [LTPF list of integers]? one Any animals involved? no Was he carrying out his normal daily job when he put the glove on the other hand? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other person: is this his wife? His girlfriend? A family member? Human? Adult? Male? His child? His boss?

Is he participating in some sort of sport? Some artform? Is he in a vehicle?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other person: is this his wife? His girlfriend? A family member? none of the foregoing Human? Adult? Male? but all three of these His child? His boss? but none of these

Is he participating in some sort of sport? yes, for svv of "is participating" - good question Some artform? no Is he in a vehicle? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he an umpire? A sports official? A spectator? Is the sport one in which gloves are normally worn? Cricket? Skiing? Baseball? Fencing? Jousting? Is the glove a padded one? Does the Other Relevant Male (ORM) also wear gloves? Does ORM give a glove to OH? Is OH signalling something in some way? Is ORM participating (in a more active sense) in the sport? Is betting involved?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he an umpire? no A sports official? no A spectator? no Is the sport one in which gloves are normally worn? no Cricket? Skiing? Baseball? Fencing? Jousting? none of these Is the glove a padded one? no Does the Other Relevant Male (ORM) also wear gloves? yope Does ORM give a glove to OH? yes Is OH signalling something in some way? yes Is ORM participating (in a more active sense) in the sport? no Is betting involved? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So ORM has a pair of gloves, and he takes one off and gives it to OH. Is this right? Is it the opposite glove worn back-to-front (eg a LH glove worn on the RH)? Does either of the people have a speech defect? Is OH communicating to ORM? To someone else? Does ORM expect him to put the glove on the 'wrong' hand?

Is it a track event? An athletics field event? A mind sport? A physical sport? A team sport? An olympic sport?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So ORM has a pair of gloves, and he takes one off and gives it to OH. Is this right? indeed Is it the opposite glove worn back-to-front (eg a LH glove worn on the RH)? no Does either of the people have a speech defect? no Is OH communicating to ORM? no To someone else? noish Does ORM expect him to put the glove on the 'wrong' hand? yes

Is it a track event? it is not any kind of event, but it followed a track event An athletics field event? A mind sport? A physical sport? A team sport? An olympic sport? this one, and now you should have all you need
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fisticuffs?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is OH on a podium? Is he receiving a medal? A trophy? A champagne bottle? Are batons relevant? Is cheating relevant?
Rabrab (Rabrab)
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drat. I've managed to miss all of this one. <pout>
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fisticuffs? I'd do anything...

Is OH on a podium? yes Is he receiving a medal? yes A trophy? no A champagne bottle? no Are batons relevant? no Is cheating relevant? no

Drat. I've managed to miss all of this one. so have I - apologies for dilatory answering, but I have been travelling
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 882
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olympics relevant? a form of protest maybe? Can't recall the specifics but i know two American Sprinters in 1972(i think)used a black power symbol whilst the National Anthem was being played. I seem to recall they were wearing gloves. Is that it?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olympics relevant? a form of protest maybe? Can't recall the specifics but i know two American Sprinters in 1972(i think)used a black power symbol whilst the National Anthem was being played. I seem to recall they were wearing gloves. Is that it?

Well, it's enough of it for a

***** SPOILER *****

At the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, African American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos finished first and third in the final of the 200 metres.

After they had received their gold and bronze medals, the two men stood with heads bowed during the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner. But each held an arm aloft in the salute of the Black Power movement, a gesture that immediately became famous around the world.

Smith raised his right arm, Carlos his left, and this struck me as incongruous - salutes of any kind are usually performed with the right hand. Only recently did I discover the explanation.

Each wore a black glove on his clenched fist, but Carlos had forgotten to bring his gloves to the podium. Peter Norman, the Australian who won the silver medal and who sympathised with the Americans' cause, suggested that they share Smith's gloves, and that is why Carlos had his glove on "the other hand".

Well done everyone. Again, sorry for being an infrequent visitor to the forum these days, but I hope now to have more time to look at the excellent puzzles here.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: