[Lynne] Lifesaver Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2007 » [Lynne] Lifesaver « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3431
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photographer saved her life
Sparkplug1 (Sparkplug1)
Username: Sparkplug1

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

photographer=H?A?M?
her=H?A?

saved her life=saved her from dying?

did someone try to kill her?
did she attempt suicide?

was she being photographed?
was she a model being photographed?

photographer=person who takes pictures with a camera?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

photographer=H?A?M? yes
her=H?A? yes

saved her life=saved her from dying? yes

did someone try to kill her? no
did she attempt suicide? no

was she being photographed? she was photographed, yes
was she a model being photographed? no

photographer=person who takes pictures with a camera? yes
Sunshine (Sunshine)
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the photgrapher intend to snap her? Or was she just passing by?
Was her life saved as the photograph was taken? Shortly afterwards? Quite a while later?
Was she prevented from dying by avoiding an accident? Was the photograph proof that she was where she claimed? Was she accused of a crime?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good to see you again Sunshine!

Did the photgrapher intend to snap her? yes - I guess I could have said noish to her being a model Or was she just passing by? no
Was her life saved as the photograph was taken? no Shortly afterwards? yes Quite a while later? I would say a few hours
Was she prevented from dying by avoiding an accident? no Was the photograph proof that she was where she claimed? no Was she accused of a crime? no
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the picture developed?
If the camera had been lost immediately after the photograph was taken, would she still have survived?
Is it relevant how she would have died? something falling on her? her falling on something? illness? car crash? attacked by an animal?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi young Bentarm - have you finished your studies?

Was the picture developed? yes
If the camera had been lost immediately after the photograph was taken, would she still have survived? no
Is it relevant how she would have died? yes something falling on her? her falling on something? illness? car crash? attacked by an animal? none of those
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi to you, too, Lynne - I'm a very bad correspondent. Maybe you noticed?

Is the identity of the photographer relevant? Did he/she literally save her life? Was it the existence of the photo which saved her life? Did someone look at the photo and spot something which could have killed her? A snake peeping out of her handbag?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi to you, too, Lynne - I'm a very bad correspondent. Maybe you noticed? um, yes! :-)

Is the identity of the photographer relevant? no Did he/she literally save her life? yes Was it the existence of the photo which saved her life? yes Did someone look at the photo and spot something which could have killed her? yes A snake peeping out of her handbag? no
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3436
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone look at the photo and spot something which could have killed her? yes that should be yope
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Signs of an illness? Something apart from herself? On her clothing? something she was carrying?
Was she standing when the photo was taken? walking? sitting? in a car? in a group of other people?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3437
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, this happens all the time to me - I always answer as to how I interpret the question and try to prevent false assumptions, but then I review it and think that the answer can actually cause more false assumptions
So:
Bentarm's question: illness? should be yessish

There - clear as mud now :-)
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Signs of an illness? YES Something apart from herself? no On her clothing?no something she was carrying? no
Was she standing when the photo was taken? walking? sitting? in a car? in a group of other people? no to all
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she in hospital? Lying down? Was it a regular photograph? or more of an x-ray or scan?
Was the sign to do with her skin colour? A skin blemish? A slide of a biopsy? Something about her eyes?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3439
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she in hospital? no Lying down? yes Was it a regular photograph? yes or more of an x-ray or scan? no
Was the sign to do with her skin colour? A skin blemish? A slide of a biopsy? Something about her eyes? none of these
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, will be back in a few hours. And Sunshine - you're so good at cracking these puzzles, could you email anything that could be a spioler please ;-)
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunshine - check email :-)
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

done - check yours!

Was she lying on her back? front? was the sign on the whole body? head? torso? arms? legs?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she lying on her back? yes front? was the sign on the whole body? head? torso? arms? legs? none of those!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunshine, check for another email :-)
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynne - Just got back from Berkeley where I rented an oboe, but I'm thinking it's around midnight o'clock where you are now...

She had an illness that is typically fatal if left untreated? Do people usually survive if treatment begins early enough? Cancer? Anything relevant about the photo? Standard film? Digital? Colour? Infra-red film? Still photo?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lynne - Just got back from Berkeley where I rented an oboe, but I'm thinking it's around midnight o'clock where you are now... Hi Bodo

She had an illness that is typically fatal if left untreated? yes Do people usually survive if treatment begins early enough? yes Cancer? no Anything relevant about the photo? yes Standard film? yes, I would guess so Digital? no Colour? no Infra-red film? no Still photo? yes
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Standard film? yes, I would guess so for svv of 'standard'
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 660
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good morning ;-)

Was it an aerial photograph? Was she lying on the ground? on a bed or couch? in water?
Was she clothed? Fully? minimally?
Did her breath show up on the photo?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3450
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning Sunshine

Was it an aerial photograph? no Was she lying on the ground? no on a bed or couch? no in water? no
Was she clothed? yes Fully? yes minimally? no
Did her breath show up on the photo? no
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 661
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the photographer have any medical knowledge?
Would this be needed to recognise her illness from the photo?
Is the illness usually of short duration? long? variable? Is it common? Contagious? Due to circumstances - e.g. surroundings, deprivation?
Did she know her photo was being taken? want it? ask for it? accept that it was necessary?
Was it taken as part of her work?
Was she awake? Were other people photographed at the same time? for the same reason?
Was she indoors? outdoors? in a building? vehicle?
Was she trying out a new bath? a coffin?
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 662
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any animals involved? Some can detect illness not apparent to humans, I think...?
Was she lying on something solid? moveable? mid air?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3451
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the photographer have any medical knowledge? no
Would this be needed to recognise her illness from the photo? no- just a sharp mind
Is the illness usually of short duration? not sure long? possibly variable? undoubtedly this Is it common? no Contagious? no Due to circumstances - e.g. surroundings, deprivation? no to all
Did she know her photo was being taken? I doubt it, but it's possible want it? was glad of it, given the end result ask for it? no accept that it was necessary? if she was aware of it, yes
Was it taken as part of her work? no
Was she awake? possibly Were other people photographed at the same time? possibly, irrelevant for the same reason? if they were, it would be the same reason
Was she indoors? yes outdoors? no in a building? yes vehicle? no
Was she trying out a new bath? no a coffin? yope explore
Any animals involved? no Some can detect illness not apparent to humans, I think...? no - and you're right, they can often detect a diabetic coma
Was she lying on something solid? yes moveable? yes mid air? no
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any animals involved? Some can detect illness not apparent to humans, I think...?
Was she lying on something solid? moveable? mid air?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle has a mind of its own - Sunshine's questions have just reappeared of their own accord :-)
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gosh, I wasn't even in the room! Even now, I'm only passing through...

Was she paralysed? in a coma? thought to be dead? at the morgue? undertakers?
Did the photograph somehow show that she was alive?
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 665
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gosh, I wasn't even in the room! Even now, I'm only passing through...

Was she paralysed? in a coma? thought to be dead? at the morgue? undertakers?
Did the photograph somehow show that she was alive?
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't know what's happening with me tonight - maybe I better just switch off and start the Christmas cards for abroad!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she paralysed? yessish in a coma? presumably thought to be dead? yes at the morgue? no undertakers? yes
Did the photograph somehow show that she was alive? yes!

what gave it away that she wasn't in fact dead?
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm... Was the photo blurred at one point? Any body parts relevant?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3454
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm... Was the photo blurred at one point? YES Any body parts relevant? yes - care to guess where?

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Head, arms, legs, any parts of those, Chest?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3455
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Head, arms, legs, any parts of those, Chest? none of those

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the part on any limbs? A finger perhaps? Her stomach, proving she was breathing?
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hair moved by breath?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the part on any limbs? A finger perhaps? this one Her stomach, proving she was breathing?
Hair moved by breath? interesting thought but no

************* SPOILER ************

This is an incident that is in my 1895 Strand Magazine within an article about modern photography.

The photographer was asked to take a photo of the woman in her coffin (the reason was not disclosed) and on developing it he saw a blur where her finger was. He knew that if the whole body had moved the whole picture would be blurred, but this indicated actual movement. He went back with a doctor and she was found to be in 'a trance-like state'.

I wasn't sure whether modern cameras would catch the movement of a finger - I am presuming that the exposure time of old cameras made it a certainty which is why people were so rigid when they posed in order not to spoil the photo.

The author insisted this was a true story, but maybe he was aware that some would think it an urban myth. No matter, these instances have been recorded many times, and didn't they used to keep a bell inside a coffin in case of the body waking up? The best awakenings happen at wakes - is that why they are called wakes???

Well done!
Sunshine (Sunshine)

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle - thanks, Lynne. I hadn't twigged the era and camera type at all. I think they're called wakes because you need to be sure you wake up after them in time to attend the funeral!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: