[Ixoye] Escape 1219 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2008 » [Ixoye] Escape 1219 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle is similar to ones that I and others have posted, in which participants direct the involved character to complete tasks that will help him escape a closed room. Please feel free to participate in any or all of the steps that will lead to the solution by either:

1. Asking the character to describe what he sees or hears
2. Giving the character a command

During the course of the puzzle, commands will be followed in the order in which they are given. If one command is followed that makes further commands unnecessary, the further commands will be ignored.

Please enjoy!

To whom it may concern:

Help! I am enclosed in a room that is completely dark. I can see nothing at all, nor can I hear anything. There is nothing within my reach except what feels like a wall to my right. Can you help me get out?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)
Username: Sixtyeight

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you smell anything?
is anything covering your eyes?
are you carrying anything? if yes please list.

feel the wall while walking along the wall to the right until there is something to report.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Sixtyeight

do you smell anything? No
is anything covering your eyes? No
are you carrying anything? if yes please list.
I am not carrying anything, but I have the capacity to do so if needed

feel the wall while walking along the wall to the right until there is something to report.
Ok - as I move along the wall, the surface is smooth and cool (probably stone). I noticed during part of the walking that the wall surface changed to what seemed like wooden planks for several steps then back to stone-like. After a few more steps I have reached a corner (there is wall to my right and in front of me).
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the wooden planks... Feel around for anything sticking out from the planks.

Push against the planks

feel for the edges of the planked area and try to pull them out
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Tsoram

Go back to the wooden planks... Feel around for anything sticking out from the planks. Ok - there doesn't seem to be anything protruding from the planks

Push against the planks This doesn't produce any result, they yield only very slightly to my pushing

feel for the edges of the planked area and try to pull them out Ok - I've tried both edges, the planked area is flush with the rest of the wall, so it's not possible for me to pull any of the planks out
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you hit the planks do they feel solidly mounted or loose and possibly removable?

feel the same wall but towards the left now
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If nothing happens, continue along the new wall you found.

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, bit slow on the post there.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you hit the planks do they feel solidly mounted or loose and possibly removable? They feel as if they are solidly mounted and in the form of a large door, but I don't detect any kind of latch or handle or knob or hinge anywhere. There does not seem to be any gap or crease anywhere in the planks.

feel the same wall but towards the left now Ok - it takes me about 20 paces to get from one corner to the other on this wall, and other than the planks I don't detect anything.

Welcome Crazypalpig

If nothing happens, continue along the new wall you found. Ok - I went back across the plank wall to the opposite corner and turned left to walk along the 'new' wall. After about 20 paces, I came across a smooth wooden surface for only about 2 paces. There is a knob about waist high on one edge which does not turn, so I'm guessing I found a locked door. Moving past this, I went for another 20 paces and encountered something that feels like it's wooden, coming out about 2 feet from the wall. Whatever this object is seems to be in another corner.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I've discovered a 20-pace "plank wall", and a 40-pace "locked door wall"
Tsoram1970 (Tsoram1970)
Username: Tsoram1970

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search your pockets/any other containers you have on your person
Alanlin (Alanlin)
Username: Alanlin

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you feel the wooden object and give a better description of its shape, texture, etc.

Assuming this is a closed rectangular room...
Continue along the new wall (after the wooden object) and the wall after that if you reach a corner.

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knock on the door.
Try to find the middle of the room, 10x20 paces from where you stand. Do you trip over anything?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search your pockets/any other containers you have on your person I am not carrying or holding anything at the moment

Welcome Alanlin

Could you feel the wooden object and give a better description of its shape, texture, etc.
Ok - it appears to be rectangular, standing upright, situated in one corner of the room. Dimensions seem to be approximately 2 feet wide on the two sides I can measure (the other 2 sides are against walls) and I would guess the object to be a little over 6.5 feet high, I can reach the top of it with my arm extended upward. I am pretty sure it is made of wood and possibly hollow.

Assuming this is a closed rectangular room...
Continue along the new wall (after the wooden object) and the wall after that if you reach a corner.
Ok - I turn left and walk along another wall for 20 paces and reach another corner. I felt no change in surface along this wall, but as I was walking along the wall my foot hit something small that slid across the floor after my foot hit it. I turn left again and walk along another 40-pace wall (so you are right, this is a closed rectangular room). I didn't detect any surface change on this wall, but I think I heard a faint "ticking" sound at one point along the wall.

Knock on the door. Ok - "knock knock" - there seems to be some hollowness behind the door, indicating a room of some size on the other side.

Try to find the middle of the room, 10x20 paces from where you stand. Do you trip over anything?
Ok, I am back to where I started (in other words, the wall I would walk along next would be the "plank wall"), so I'll do my best to walk diagonally about 20 paces...I've done that so I guess I'm near the center of the room. About two paces back, something very light brushed against my cheek...
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try to back track and put your hands on the thing that brushed your cheek. describe.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try to back track and put your hands on the thing that brushed your cheek. describe.
I've located it again, it seems to be a small piece of paper, roughly 2" x 3". It is suspended at just about eye level by a string that extends upward beyond the extent of my reach.

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which way did the object skid? If you find it, pick it up. Can you find a lock for the door?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which way did the object skid? I am not sure, probably parellel to the wall along which I was walking...If you find it, pick it up. Ok - I've walked back in that direction but my foot didn't touch anything. I've found my way to a corner and am moving along the wall...
Can you find a lock for the door? That's the wall I'm moving along, I'm back to the door with the handle. It does appear that there is a keyhole below the handle.

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search for 5 feet every way from when you kicked the thing please. Do you have any knowledge of picking locks? Can you see anything throught the keyhole?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search for 5 feet every way from when you kicked the thing please. Ok - I follow the "door wall" to the left to the corner, then turn left. I'm now moving along that wall on hands and knees sweeping an area about 5 feet out from the wall...I have located it! It is a small box made of metal, cubic in shape.

This was a good suggestion, because in searching for the object I have discovered that there is another wall that runs parallel to the wall opposite the "plank wall". This other wall is about 5 feet out from the main wall (which is why I didn't feel it when I first walked across this wall), and I'd guess that it's about 6 paces long. Interesting...

Do you have any knowledge of picking locks? Uh, no
Can you see anything through the keyhole? Well, I can't see the keyhole, which means it's probably just as dark on the other side of the door...

Post Number: 1834
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you open the box? Are there similar walls around everywhere else?
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try pulling the string that was attached to the paper. Feel the metal cube. Does it have any prominent features like a lock, carved designs, movable parts etc.? Is the wall in the middle smooth stone like the outer walls? Does it have any carvings, indentations, holes etc.?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can find a place to stow the cube, get back to the suspended wall and walk all the way aroud it searching the wall with your hands and the floor with your feet.
then search the space in between the suspended wall and the outer wall.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you open the box? No
Are there similar walls around everywhere else?
There don't appear to be any, I've gone all the way around the room along the walls and do not detect any others.

Try pulling the string that was attached to the paper. Ok - LIGHT! The string was attached to a spherical light fixture on the ceiling, which is probably 10-12 feet above me. I must have pulled hard, because the string came off of the fixture as soon as the light came on, but now I can clearly see the entire room.

Feel the metal cube. Does it have any prominent features like a lock, carved designs, movable parts etc.? I can see it now, thanks to the light. I am holding a black box, a cube approximately 6 inches on all sides. It is made of some kind of dull metal and has a hinged top. The only feature anywhere on the box is a keypad on the top of it. The keypad has numbers 1-9 and a green button.

Is the wall in the middle smooth stone like the outer walls? Yes, it appears to be.
Does it have any carvings, indentations, holes etc.? No

If you can find a place to stow the cube, get back to the suspended wall and walk all the way aroud it searching the wall with your hands and the floor with your feet. Ok - I have searched around this small wall, but do not find anything on the wall or on the floor around it.

then search the space in between the suspended wall and the outer wall. There's nothing there.

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there writing on the paper? Descibe the room now, just the 5 walls?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there writing on the paper? Yes - it says "shoot me".

Descibe the room now, just the 5 walls?
Wall 1: 20 paces long, a section about 8 paces wide and 8 feet high in the center of this wall is planked, resembling a large door without a knob or handle anywhere

Wall 2: (This is the wall to the left as I face the planked wall) This wall is 40 paces long and has a locked door in the center of it. Also, in the corner opposite the plank wall there is a grandfather clock (the upright rectangular object I found before), it is made of wood.

Wall 3: (this is the wall that I walk along after getting to the clock and turning left) This wall is 20 paces long and has nothing on it, and has a chest-high stone wall running parallel to it for 6 paces, nothing to note about this small wall. The space between the small wall and the main wall is about 5 feet.

Wall 4: (this is the wall that I walk along after passing the small wall, then turning left) Another 40-pace wall, about 1/3 of the way along the wall there is a "No Smoking" sign posted on the wall just above head level for me, and a short distance beyond that there is a shelf on the wall. The shelf is about 8 inches deep and 10 inches long, and there is a small clock on the shelf (which explains the faint ticking I heard earlier).

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you open the grandfather clock? Is there anything you can shoot it with? Can the stone wall be dismantled? Is the "No Smoking" sign be moved?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1957
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you open the grandfather clock? No, it doesn't appear that I can
Is there anything you can shoot it with? I don't think so (but keep in mind it was the light that had the "shoot me" note attached)
Can the stone wall be dismantled? No, it's quite solid
Is the "No Smoking" sign be moved? It looks like I could take it off the wall, yes

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great. Let's not shoot the light for now... Take the "No Smoking" sign away. Anything behind it? Can the small clock be moved? If so, move it. Ditto to above. Step on the short wall. Can you see anymore items up there?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great. Let's not shoot the light for now...Probably a good idea, I don't really have anything to shoot it with anyway...
Take the "No Smoking" sign away. Anything behind it? Yes - the following is written on the wall behind where the sign was:
"Hillary - Columbus"

Can the small clock be moved? If so, move it. Yes, I've picked it up. There is nothing else on the shelf, and nothing on the wall.

Step on the short wall. Can you see anymore items up there? No

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the times on the grandfather and small clock the same? Can you move the grandfather clock?
Does the space behind the planks on wall 1 sound hollow?
Sixtyeight (Sixtyeight)

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what are the times on the clocks?
if you wait a couple of minutes, do they move a couple of minutes?
is there anyhting to note when you look up?

shake the metal box, anything inside?
push the green button
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the times on the grandfather and small clock the same? No - the grandfather clock is not running, the small clock shows the current time
Can you move the grandfather clock? No, although it doesn't appear unusually heavy, it won't budge
Does the space behind the planks on wall 1 sound hollow? Hard to tell, these are thick planks, but I think so.

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will trying to get through the wooden wall be a futile attempt? Push down on the shelf, anything happen? Anything else movable in the room you can find?
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what time is the grandfather clock set to? change the small clock to that time

try entering the grandfather clocks time into the number pad on the box, and press the green button
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what are the times on the clocks? The grandfather clock shows a time of 8:30. The small clock shows the current time.
if you wait a couple of minutes, do they move a couple of minutes? The grandfather clock has not changed time, and does not appear to be working at all, but the small clock continues to keep time.
is there anyhting to note when you look up?
No, just the spherical light fixture on the ceiling
shake the metal box, anything inside? Yes, I can hear a few object move around inside
push the green button A "beep" is produced, but nothing else happens.

Will trying to get through the wooden wall be a futile attempt? Yes, that's a safe assumption
Push down on the shelf, anything happen? No Anything else movable in the room you can find? There doesn't appear to be, no

Welcome damia

what time is the grandfather clock set to? 8:30
change the small clock to that time Ok - done

try entering the grandfather clocks time into the number pad on the box, and press the green button Ok, I did that - the numbers appear on a screen as I enter them and the green button produced the same "beep" as before. The box is still locked though and will not open.

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hillary to Columbus: a period of... 416 years? Type in 416?
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And press the green button.

We're working with Christopher Columbus and Sir Edmund Hillary, right?
If 416 doesn't work, try typing in 461 (1492-1953) and pressing the green button instead.

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops! Mine should be 516! I'm thinking Columbus to what may be Hilary Clington.
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh. I used Sir Hillary because he and Columbus were both 'firsts.' I used the years from Columbus's first voyage to Hillary's ascent of Everest. Although admittedly, I thought of Clinton first.

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Clinton may also be a first woman president of America.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hillary to Columbus: a period of... 416 years? Type in 416? Ok - nothing happened

And press the green button. Ok, still nothing happened

We're working with Christopher Columbus and Sir Edmund Hillary, right? Hmmm, I don't know, I didn't write that on the wall...
If 416 doesn't work, try typing in 461 (1492-1953) and pressing the green button instead.
Ok - Aha! I did this and the box unlocked and sprung open. The contents of the box are:

2 cotton balls
1 bullet
1 matchbook

I used Sir Hillary because he and Columbus were both 'firsts.' I used the years from Columbus's first voyage to Hillary's ascent of Everest.
And you were exactly right - bravo!
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be advisable to try burning down the plank wall? And the grandfather clock? I promise I'm not a pyromaniac. Strike a match and try to burn down the two. (Let's hope there are no explosives behind those planks...)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be advisable to try burning down the plank wall? My instincts say "no", just by looking at these planks I'd say that they would not easily catch fire
And the grandfather clock? I'm not sure that would serve any productive purpose (you'll see why as you read on)
I promise I'm not a pyromaniac. Are you sure about that? I was beginning to wonder... (just kidding, you are pursuing every possible route to the solution and making no assumptions, which is exactly what you should be doing)

Strike a match and try to burn down the two.
Ok - well, on second thought I'm going to wait on this, since when I open up the matchbook I see that there is only one match in it! Plus, someone has written on the inside of the matchbook cover "Make it count!"

(Let's hope there are no explosives behind those planks...) I can't imagine that explosives are involved in any way...

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any obvious place to put the cotton balls? Are the cotton balls dipped in something or not? How many matches do you have? Describe the grandfather clock completely.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any obvious place to put the cotton balls? I am hoping someone can come up with one...I don't see anything or anywhere around the room that seems to be a suitable place for them.
Are the cotton balls dipped in something or not?
No, they are dry and have no odor
How many matches do you have? Only one
Describe the grandfather clock completely.
It is very simple in appearance - an upright rectangular body with simple trimwork at the base of the section that encases the clock face. The hands on the face of the clock are indicating a time of 8:30. The body of the clock seems to be somewhat hollow, including the section with the face (in other words, I cannot detect the usual innards like a pendulum, gears, chimes, etc). There are no external feature of any kind (like knobs, buttons), the face is behind a pane of what appears to be glass, but there are no hinges around the glass or any other apparent way to directly access the face.

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knock on the chest high wall, any part of it sound hollow? Then again, do that on every stone wall. Is the small clock openable? Give description of the small clock.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knock on the chest high wall, any part of it sound hollow? No, this appears to be a very solid wall made up of stacked stones
Then again, do that on every stone wall. All walls sound solid, no part sounds hollow
Is the small clock openable? The only part I can open is a battery compartment on the back of the clock
Give description of the small clock. It is rectangular, approx. 5" x 5", analog with a white face, black hands for hour, minute and alarm. There are two dials on the back, one to set the time and one to set the alarm, plus a button on the back to turn the alarm on/off.
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps we need to use fire to expose some invisible ink? Look at the small slip of paper that says "Shoot Me." And also, could you examine the No Smoking sign again? Do either of them look like they could have an invisible message (funny reflections and the like). I know it's kind of silly to ask you to look for INVISIBLE ink, but I don't want to waste that match...
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for double-posting, but could you also set the alarm to 8:30 and then turn it on?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps we need to use fire to expose some invisible ink? I'm open to all suggestions
Look at the small slip of paper that says "Shoot Me." And also, could you examine the No Smoking sign again? Do either of them look like they could have an invisible message (funny reflections and the like). I know it's kind of silly to ask you to look for INVISIBLE ink, but I don't want to waste that match...Ok, I like the way you're thinking out loud. After looking at the slip of paper and the sign, I do not detect any evidence of hidden messages or secret inks.

Sorry for double-posting, but could you also set the alarm to 8:30 and then turn it on? Gladly - I manually adjusted the clock to 8:29 and set the alarm to 8:30. When the minute went by, the alarm went off with a repeated beeping, but something else happened - the face of the clock opened on a hidden hinge, revealing a small innner compartment which contains a key.

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the wooden door. Is there another light in that room you can turn on?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the wooden door. Well you must be assuming that the key fits the door...fortunately it does. The door opens to reveal a rather small closet.
Is there another light in that room you can turn on? Yes, similar to the one in the main room only much smaller. The light reveals the closet to have a single coat, duster type (long) hanging by a peg in one corner. There is a shelf just above eye level, and on the shelf is a parcel wrapped in brown paper.
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the coat have pockets? If so, search in them. Also, unwrap the parcel and describe its contents please.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the coat have pockets? Yes, 2 of them
If so, search in them. Ok - in one of the pockets I found a small flashlight
Also, unwrap the parcel and describe its contents please. Ok - it is difficult to unwrap, there are several layers of paper and it is bound tightly. I managed to get a small area unwrapped, and there appears to be gray powder inside.
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps it's time to use the match? Try igniting the gray powder with the match. Hopefully, it will burn through the paper and uncover whatever is inside.

Oh, and put on the coat. Just for fun.

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NO!!! That grey stuff must be gunpowder! we need that for a gun!
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right. I forgot we still need to 'shoot' the light... In that case, could you describe the size and shape of the parcel?
Is the flashlight working? Try turning it on and off. Look in its battery compartment, anything inside?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps it's time to use the match? Try igniting the gray powder with the match. Hopefully, it will burn through the paper and uncover whatever is inside. Or it may be something else...hold that thought!
Oh, and put on the coat. Just for fun. Ok - hey, when I removed the coat from the peg I found a rifle in the corner of the closet (it was concealed by the coat)

NO!!! That grey stuff must be gunpowder! Well gunpowder is usually black, this gray powder is more powdery even than gunpowder, so I don't think so...
we need that for a gun! Actually this is a standard rifle, it will fire the kind of bullet like I found in the box

Right. I forgot we still need to 'shoot' the light... In that case, could you describe the size and shape of the parcel? It is approximately 18" long, 12" wide, 6" thick
Is the flashlight working? Try turning it on and off. Turning the flashlight on does nothing
Look in its battery compartment, anything inside?
There is one battery inside, yet the diagram in the body of the flashlight shows that it requires two batteries to function
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the small clock have a battery compartment? If so, could you take the battery out of it and put it in the flashlight? See if it turns on now.

Well, put the bullet in the rifle. Can you shoot the light now? Or do you need gunpowder? Try putting the gray powder in the rifle if it does not shoot the first time and try shooting the light again.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the small clock have a battery compartment? Yes
If so, could you take the battery out of it and put it in the flashlight? Yes, both use the same size battery
See if it turns on now. Yes, the flashlight now turns on

Well, put the bullet in the rifle. Ok - done Can you shoot the light now? Yes, the gun is ready to fire
Or do you need gunpowder? Not for this type of rifle

Shooting the light now...BLAM!...the room is now totally dark
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say the room is totally dark. Does this mean the small light in the closet also turned off? If so, could you try turning it back on?

Turn on the flashlight. Look at the broken light. Is anything there? What about on the floor? Did anything drop out of the light? Is any part of the room different from before? Could you use a shard of the broken light to cut open the parcel?

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*getting fustrated*

Put a cotton ball in the grey stuff. Can you identify what type of powder it is? Is it ashes?

I think this would be much easier if we just burn down the door, but...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say the room is totally dark. Does this mean the small light in the closet also turned off? Yes, for some reason it did
If so, could you try turning it back on? The switch does not seem to work anymore

Turn on the flashlight. Look at the broken light. Is anything there? Just the badly damaged remains of the fixture
What about on the floor? Did anything drop out of the light? Hmm, seems to be just tiny bits of glass...wait a second...among the glass pieces is an unlit cigarette
Is any part of the room different from before?
Not from what I can see
Could you use a shard of the broken light to cut open the parcel? No way, the pieces are way to small, it shattered like a windshield

*getting fustrated* Hang in there, almost out!

Put a cotton ball in the grey stuff. Can you identify what type of powder it is? Is it ashes?
The powder is more coarse than ashes would be, so I don't think that's what it is. You were talking about gunpowder, and I think I may smell some...

I think this would be much easier if we just burn down the door, but...we need to "make it count!"
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JUST SAY NO...
I suppose the cigarette is just asking to be lit, although I'm not sure what that would do. Perhaps it will activate a smoke alarm which then mysteriously reveals a trapdoor leading to a tunnel populated by pygmy rhinos that ....anything could happen in these weird lateral adventures...

And what's the deal with the gray powder anyways? Is it or is it not gunpowder? I'm getting confused by the conflicting answers...

Anyways, try lighting the cigarette. And then, try burning through the parcel.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JUST SAY NO...
I suppose the cigarette is just asking to be lit, although I'm not sure what that would do. Perhaps it will activate a smoke alarm which then mysteriously reveals a trapdoor leading to a tunnel populated by pygmy rhinos that ....anything could happen in these weird lateral adventures...Yes, you are right about that, but you guys are doing very well on this one, so don't give up (pygmy rhinos and trap doors, eh? I like that...)

And what's the deal with the gray powder anyways? Is it or is it not gunpowder? I'm getting confused by the conflicting answers...
Well I'm fairly sure it's not gunpowder. Keep in mind I've only been able to get open a small portion of the parcel.

Anyways, try lighting the cigarette. And then, try burning through the parcel.
Before I do that, let's stop and think for a minute...
- If this gray powder, or something else in the parcel, is flammable, I'll blow myself up by burning my way into the parcel
- Whoever packed this parcel so well must have done so for a reason

Now, since nobody has asked me for any updates, let's do that quickly:

I have a flashlight that is on
I have a key from the alarm clock
I have the clock (minus the battery)
I have a rifle with a spent round in it
I have two cotton balls
I have the parcel
I have an unlit cigarette
I have a "no smoking" sign
I have one match

Now I've explored the whole room, and there does not seem to be any way out, at least by ordinary means. The key got me into the closet, but there's nothing else in there of interest. So, in a room with stone walls all around except for one section of planks (which would not burn, I don't think), what's the next move I should make in order to exit?
Alanlin (Alanlin)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot your stylish coat in your inventory. Could you look closer at the 'no smoking' sign? Anything suspicious?

Pour out as much of the gray powder as possible. If the parcel is explosive, perhaps we're supposed to blast our way out of the room? You could easily create a fuse with some of the powder, place the package by the planks, and then take cover behind that little stone wall. Then, KABOOM.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe if you light the cigarette someone will come in to enforce the no smoking sign? or maybe something would happen?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot your stylish coat in your inventory. You're right, sorry!
Could you look closer at the 'no smoking' sign? Anything suspicious? No, I can't detect anything unusual about it

Pour out as much of the gray powder as possible.
You think this will work?
If the parcel is explosive, perhaps we're supposed to blast our way out of the room? Hmmm, I'm curious about this...
You could easily create a fuse with some of the powder unless it burns up too quickly...

place the package by the planks, and then take cover behind that little stone wall. Then, KABOOM. This part of your plan makes very good sense, assuming the package would explode. The only catch is that if the powder burns up quicker than I can run to the wall, or if I don't have enough powder to create a line from the planks to the short wall, then I'm dead. Anything else I can use for a fuse?

maybe if you light the cigarette someone will come in to enforce the no smoking sign? or maybe something would happen? Well we could test this theory also, but once I light the cigarette there's only a few minutes of usable "flame" from that, so if there's no one around to enforce the smoking ban then I'm stuck...
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you could use the cigarette as a fuse? you light one end and let it burn to the end which would be in the powder to blow it up
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you could use the cigarette as a fuse? you light one end and let it burn to the end which would be in the powder to blow it up
Ahhh, now this would give me time to plant the package and get behind the wall for protection as earlier suggested. Ok, so I will:

put the package next to the planks
insert the cigarette into the gray powder
light the match (hope this works!)
light the cigarette
run and take cover behind the short wall
stuff the cotton into my ears (this is going to be loud)
wait patiently...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

** SPOILER **

...after many seconds....BOOOOOOM!!!!

Good thing I was behind the wall, the debris from that blast would have injured me badly.

I can see light streaming into the room now, as a huge hole has been made in the planks, and there is clear sunshine on the other side - FREEDOM!

To the small number of people who kept this one moving, bravo! Very good work! The next Escape puzzle from me will arrive shortly.

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay! First lateral adventure I actually played a part in :-) Just like a short "Trav" adventure!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: