[Eli] Useful Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2008 » [Eli] Useful « Previous Next »

Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're not always a waste of time, obviously.
Tobasi (Tobasi)
Username: Tobasi

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They: objects? people? non palpable things?
Are they sometimes a waste of time? are they then used for: entertainment? to kill some time?
If they are not a waste of time are they used: professionally? for entertainment? in everyday life?
Are they used by people? by a specific group of people?
Are they used at a specific place?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They: objects? No people? No non palpable things? Yes
Are they sometimes a waste of time? Someone would say that are they then used for: entertainment? Yes to kill some time? and yes
If they are not a waste of time are they used: professionally? Can be for entertainment? Yes in everyday life? hmmm, I think yes is most correct
Are they used by people? Yes by a specific group of people? No, I think most people would do it
Are they used at a specific place? Difficult to answer. Some varieties can only be used in special places, but we are not looking for specific ones.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about some kind of games? Riddle? ...lateral puzzles?
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "they": feelings? things only humans have? something intellectual? something written?
something related to: vision? audition? touch? smell? taste?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arek_fu
-------------------------------------------------
Are we talking about some kind of games? Can be Riddle? ...lateral puzzles? ditto for both

Tobasi
Are "they": feelings? no things only humans have? yes something intellectual? some of them yes something written? ditto
something related to: vision? audition? touch? smell? taste? all of these might be involved
Tobasi (Tobasi)

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "they" related to any particular objects? to a particular part of the human body? to a particular time of the day or of the year? to a particular activity? to the age of the people?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "they" related to a particular area of the world? A particular type of location? One of the two genders in particular? A particular type of technology?
Sunshine (Sunshine)
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 711
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ideas? Daydreams? Thoughts? Similar concept?
Judgedeadd (Judgedeadd)
Username: Judgedeadd

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Feghoots? (if you don't know what it is, don't worry)
Lporter229 (Lporter229)
Username: Lporter229

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

puzzles in general?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 869
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tobasi
Are "they" related to any particular objects? to a particular part of the human body? to a particular time of the day or of the year? to a particular activity? to the age of the people? No to all

Arek_fu
Are "they" related to a particular area of the world? A particular type of location? One of the two genders in particular? A particular type of technology? No to all

Sunshine
Ideas? Daydreams? Thoughts? Similar concept? No, but some varieties of 'they' might involve aspects of the 2 first

Judgedeadd
Feghoots? (if you don't know what it is, don't worry) No

Lporter229
puzzles in general? No, but puzzles would be one variety of 'they'
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few tips just to keep this puzzle alive.

'They' are something most people are involved in. There are many things that could be classifieds as 'they'.
Alanlin (Alanlin)
Username: Alanlin

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hobbies?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hobbies? Bingo!!

Now, what is left to discover is why I made that statement about hobbies. Something happened to me one night, one cold and stormy evening, lol....
Alanlin (Alanlin)
Username: Alanlin

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A specific hobby relevant?
Did engaging in your hobby save you time? or money? or did it help you do something else? think of an idea that helped you elsewhere?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 901
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A specific hobby relevant? No, could have been several. But not all kinds of hobbies.
Did engaging in your hobby save you time? or money? or did it help you do something else? Yope to this one think of an idea that helped you elsewhere?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the particular type of hobby we are talking about here involve...
...activities usually carried out indoors/outdoors?
...0/1/2/3/... other people?
...particular objects?
...particular skills?
...particular places?
Lporter229 (Lporter229)
Username: Lporter229

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you meet somebody os significance as a result of your hobby?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arek_fu
Does the particular type of hobby we are talking about here involve...
...activities usually carried out indoors/outdoors?
...0/1/2/3/... other people?
...particular objects?
...particular skills?
...particular places?
The only definite answer here is it has to be done indoors. My hobbies are things I do on my own, but hobbies that involve a few persons more, could also work. I would say Yopeish to particular place, might be worth exploring. No particular skills or objects relevant for the scenario.

Lporter229
Did you meet somebody os significance as a result of your hobby? No. Well, I have met some nice and interesting people through at least one of my hobbies, but that has nothing to do with this puzzle, :-)
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it really a cold and stormy evening? Relevant?
Is weather relevant?
Did the fact of being indoors protect you in some way? From the weather?
Does the hobby involve a particular geographical location (continent, country, city...)? A particular type of location?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it really a cold and stormy evening? At least fairly stormy Relevant? The stormy part, yes
Is weather relevant? Yes
Did the fact of being indoors protect you in some way? No, this is irrel From the weather?
Does the hobby involve a particular geographical location (continent, country, city...)? A particular type of location? Neither as such. This scenario would work with most indoor hobbies. The two hobbies in question on this particular night was writing and cardmaking. Another hobby of mine, reading, would have worked just as well. As would hobbies like scrap books, stamps, coins, drawing, etc. However, when you ask type of location, it might be worth exploring where I was when this happened.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I would never say that the hobbies you mentioned are a waste of time, anyway!

Were you at home? In a particular room? Your bedroom? Someone else's? Living room? Kitchen? Bathroom?

Did you go outside? If you had not been involved in your hobby, would you have gone outside?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I would never say that the hobbies you mentioned are a waste of time, anyway! - Me neither, but my mum seemed to have thought so, at least on some occasions. Will be revealed in the spioler, lol

Were you at home? Yes In a particular room? Your bedroom? This Someone else's? Living room? Kitchen? Bathroom?

Did you go outside? No If you had not been involved in your hobby, would you have gone outside? Nope
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your mum relevant, then?

Did your hobby avoid something unpleasant? Were you sitting/lying on the bed? Relevant?

Was there a blackout?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 925
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your mum relevant, then? Not as such. Just that she on several occasions gave out to me for spending too much time on my hobbies instead of "doing something useful", lol

Did your hobby avoid something unpleasant? Yes-ish Were you sitting/lying on the bed? Yes Relevant? No, could have been anywhere in the room. Might also have worked if I had been in a different room, just that being in the bedroom made things 'obvious'

Was there a blackout? Yes!
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you just go to sleep without bothering about missing lights?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you just go to sleep without bothering about missing lights? No, this is not it. Remember I was busy with one of my hobbies.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have a flashlight or a candle with you? Were you left in the dark by the blackout? If not, was that thanks to your hobby?

Did you notice the blackout as soon as it happened? Was it a long blackout? Is this relevant?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 930
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have a flashlight or a candle with you? No Were you left in the dark by the blackout? Yes If not, was that thanks to your hobby?

Did you notice the blackout as soon as it happened? Yes Was it a long blackout? No, just a few minutes Is this relevant? Not really
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did any relevant electrical appliance stop working because of the blackout?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did any relevant electrical appliance stop working because of the blackout? Yes
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. Clock? Alarm clock? TV? Heaters? Air conditioning? Computer? Lamp? Music player? Phone?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. Clock? Alarm clock? This, enough for a spoiler TV? Heaters? Air conditioning? Computer? Lamp? Music player? Phone?

************* SPOILER ************************

When I was younger my mum told me many times to not waste time on my hobbies and do something useful instead (like going to bed at a decent hour, lol). But a few weeks before Christmas staying up with my hobbies saved me from oversleeping. I was sitting in my bed, working on my Christmas cards, when the power went out. It wasn't gone long, but because I was awake when it happened I could set the clock and the alarm again before going to sleep. Had I been sleeping already, I wouldn't have known and overslept the next morning. So for once staying up with one of my hobbies was useful.

Thanks to everyone who played, especially Arek_fu who with his brilliant mind cracked this in no time....

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: