[peter365] Totally F*****G Inexplica... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2008 » [peter365] Totally F*****G Inexplicable « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something I heard recently which I'm sure (like me) you'll find interesting

Very Timely. Though I really would have liked to send a card or maybe a nice chianti
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the asterisked word in the title refer to the usual seven-letter expletive? Or another word? An English word? A word used by Mohamed Al Fayed, by any chance?

Is Hannibal Lecter relevant?

Is someone celebrating a birthday? An anniversary? Prison release? Is cannibalism relevant? The consumption of polar bears' livers? Any other animal's liver?

Did a relevant event occur in 2008? Did an event occur on a significant date?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any famous scientist relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the asterisked word in the title refer to the usual seven-letter expletive? yes : This is just a way i once heard the subject of this puzzle described so i wouldn't spend too much time trying to decipher it Or another word? An English word? A word used by Mohamed Al Fayed, by any chance? so no to the rest

Is Hannibal Lecter relevant? no the card and bottle of chianti are another cryptic clue to the story

Is someone celebrating a birthday? An anniversary? Prison release? Is cannibalism relevant? The consumption of polar bears' livers? Any other animal's liver? no to all

Did a relevant event occur in 2008? yes Did an event occur on a significant date? noish : you might want to explore this
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any famous scientist relevant? no
Travis (Travis)
Username: Travis

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chianti is a famous Italian wine. Is any aspect of Italy or Italian culture/cuisine relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chianti is a famous Italian wine. Is any aspect of Italy or Italian culture/cuisine relevant? No . I could have used any wine for this clue
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you've capitalised the word 'Timely'? Any wordplay on 'time' going on? Are the initials VT some sort of clue?

Is this a news story? Something happened that was both timely and inexplicable? Was it literally inexplicable?

Would you have liked to send the Chianti to a real person? A human? Adult? Male? More than one person? An organisation? If you sent the Chianti, would you intend it as a sarcastic gesture?

Is it relevant who described this as 'totally f... inexplicable'? Is censorship relevant?

If you had sent a card, would it have been a greetings card? A postcard? Would you have to write on the card in order for the recipient to understand your intent?

Would it work with a letter? Or maybe a nice Bordeaux?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you've capitalised the word 'Timely'? yes but only because that could have been the puzzle statement itself Any wordplay on 'time' going on? Are the initials VT some sort of clue? no to both

Is this a news story? yes Something happened that was both timely and inexplicable? not inexplicable but timely in my mind however more people would have thought it untimely Was it literally inexplicable? so no. As mentioned the rather crude puzzle title is just a quote to describe something that is relevant to the puzzle which i heard (in a film)

Would you have liked to send the Chianti to a real person? yes but remember the whole card bottle of wine thing is a cryptic sort of clue to the puzzles theme A human? yesAdult? yes Male? yes More than one person? no An organisation? no If you sent the Chianti, would you intend it as a sarcastic gesture? no

Is it relevant who described this as 'totally f... inexplicable'? Is censorship relevant? no to both

If you had sent a card, would it have been a greetings card? yes A postcard? no Would you have to write on the card in order for the recipient to understand your intent? no only to show it was from me but even this is not relevant

Would it work with a letter? Or maybe a nice Bordeaux? absolutely
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT : OK I think i might have been a bit overly cryptic when I thought this puzzle up. You can simply replace the puzzle statement with "While most people considered it untimely I actually considered it quite timely" . Please diregard all nonsense about Wine & Greeting Cards and my rather naughty puzzle title
Sunshine (Sunshine)
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you benefit from "it"? Did most people? Did anyone connected with you? family? friends? colleagues?
Did you avoid something? tangible? Gain something? tangible?
Was summer clock change relevant?
Were finances? holidays? work? family? friends? hobbies? weather? involved?
Was something postponed? so that you could attend/ take part after all?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you benefit from "it"? Did most people? Did anyone connected with you? family? friends? colleagues? nobody benefited that i'm aware of
Did you avoid something? tangible? Gain something? tangible? no to all of these
Was summer clock change relevant? no
Were finances? holidays? work? family? friends? hobbies? possibly but not one of my hobbiesweather? involved? no to rest
Was something postponed? no so that you could attend/ take part after all? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hint: What is commonly considered untimely?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, ok: did someone die?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, ok: did someone die? YES!!
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is it the adult male (to whom you would have sent the wine) the dead man? Or a relative of the dead man? Just to check: the person who died is an adult? male?

Was the death timely (in a sense)?

If so, was it timely:

because of the day of the week?
because of the month?
because of the year?
because of a particular occasion?

Is the person's name relevant?
Is the cause of death relevant?
eg Mr Valentine Cummings, who died while making love on 14th February?

Any wordplay involved?
Would you have any reason to be pleased by this person's death? Or just amused?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is it the adult male (to whom you would have sent the wine) the dead man? yes but just concentrate on the fact that I thought his death was timely Or a relative of the dead man? no Just to check: the person who died is an adult? male? yes to both

Was the death timely (in a sense)? in a sense yes

If so, was it timely:

because of the day of the week?
because of the month?
because of the year? yesish
because of a particular occasion?

Is the person's name relevant? not really but he is or was well known
Is the cause of death relevant? no
eg Mr Valentine Cummings, who died while making love on 14th February? ha ha but no

Any wordplay involved? no
Would you have any reason to be pleased by this person's death?no Or just amused? no. Irony would be the prominent feeling
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was his death predicted somehow? Had he expected to die that year? Is it relevant what year it was?

Is the actual year (eg 2008, 1997) relevant, or is it when he died in relation to another event that is relevant? Eg he died right before someone else? Right after someone else? Just before or afetr something happened which would have had a bearing on his death?
Was the death exactly x years after something else relevant happened?

Is his profession relevant? Or what he was well known for? His age when he died?

Is there a particular reason why the death would be considered untimely? Or just in the usual sense that a death is never really welcomed?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Chinese New Year relevant (for instance, if the chap who was the voice of Roland Rat was to die in the year of the rat)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was his death predicted somehow? No. Apart from the fact that he had been illHad he expected to die that year? well he was sick but expectation of his death is not relevant Is it relevant what year it was? yesish

Is the actual year (eg 2008, 1997) relevant, or is it when he died in relation to another event that is relevant? the latter Eg he died right before someone else? no Right after someone else? no Just before or afetr something happened which would have had a bearing on his death? not this either
Was the death exactly x years after something else relevant happened? not exactly to the day but yes

Is his profession relevant? yes Or what he was well known for? yes which is his profession His age when he died? yes. This answers the above points. The relevant prior event is his birth

Is there a particular reason why the death would be considered untimely? not especially Or just in the usual sense that a death is never really welcomed? this
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the Chinese New Year relevant (for instance, if the chap who was the voice of Roland Rat was to die in the year of the rat)? nice idea but no
Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he well-known in the field of music? TV? Film? Sports? Writing? Journalism? Science?

Did he ever mention the age at which he thought he would die? Or something like "I hope I die before I reach 50" and died when he was 49?

Is a coincidence elevant? Such as every member of his family dying at the same age? Would it help to find the age he died at, or would that only help if we first knew who he was (ie could most people die at that age without it being ironic at all?)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he well-known in the field of music? TV? Film? Sports? Hmm i'd have to say no but of the list you've provided this is closest Writing? Journalism? Science? no to rest

Did he ever mention the age at which he thought he would die? no Or something like "I hope I die before I reach 50" and died when he was 49? not this

Is a coincidence elevant? more like an irony Such as every member of his family dying at the same age? no Would it help to find the age he died at, or would that only help if we first knew who he was (ie could most people die at that age without it being ironic at all?) yes finding his age will make discovering who he is a bit easier
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjay

Sorry I misread your last post. Most people could die at this age and there would be no irony whatsoever. It might be more fun to find out the age he died at and then work out who he is
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he die very young? Very old? Over 85? Over 95? Under 15? Under 25?

Was he a famous chess player? (shot in the dark)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he die very young? no Very old? no Over 85? noOver 95? noUnder 15? no Under 25? no

Was he a famous chess player? (shot in the dark)remind me never to stand in a darkened room with you. You're absolutely right. Please feel free to spoil this. Just for fun can you work out my cryptic puzzle statement?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I'd been out till 2.45am, would you lock the door?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That just about wraps this up (thank goodness)

SPOILER

I was reading an obituary for Chess Legend Bobby Fischer recently and was struck by the irony that he died aged 64 and thus lived a year for each square on a chess board.

My cryptic puzzle statement (which i regretted as soon as i'd posted it) was a vague clue to the lyrics of "When I'm 64" by the Beatles i.e "will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings bottle of wine"

The rude (and even more regretted) puzzle statement is a quote from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" where Red when discussing chess with Andy says that he finds it "Totally F****** inexplicable

major kudos and back slapping for Arek for the solve

Please check out my new one
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, thanks, but honestly I had no idea... it would've taken me a while to get to Bobby Fischer. I just thought of a chess player because you wrote that sport was the closest thing to his profession...

Great puzzle statement, anyway :-) and a great song, too.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh. Actually I rather liked the title & cryptic statement. Got the other parts when Arek fu said chess, but didn't think of the Shawshank thing at all. All very neat indeed.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: