[Travis] That's one small step for a ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2008 » [Travis] That's one small step for a man... « Previous Next »

Travis (Travis)
Username: Travis

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As some of our more chronologically advanced forumers may remember, the Apollo 11 mission was one of the most dramatic. It changed our scientific and cultural thinking about the moon forever. There is, however, a cultural impact that is much less recognized than others. What is it?

This is the first puzzle I've hosted; feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right...

Is the cultural impact you mention connected to...
...breaking barriers?
...landing on the Moon?
...new technologies?
...media?

Would the Apollo-11 mission still have had the same impact if it hadn't landed on the Moon (i.e. failed)? If it had landed on Mars? If it had landed on the Moon but not come back?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 385

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:33 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
All right...

Is the cultural impact you mention connected to...
...breaking barriers? no
...landing on the Moon? no
...new technologies? no
...media? yope

Would the Apollo-11 mission still have had the same impact if it hadn't landed on the Moon (i.e. failed)? most likely not If it had landed on Mars? most likely yes If it had landed on the Moon but not come back? hard to say, but still possible
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anthing to do with the Tom Hanks movie? If so would the cultural impact have happened if the movie hadn't been made?

Any subsequent space disaster relevant?

Anything to do with the subsequent election of Jack Swaggart to the US Senate?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1224

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:10 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anthing to do with the Tom Hanks movie? no If so would the cultural impact have happened if the movie hadn't been made? so N/A

Any subsequent space disaster relevant? no

Anything to do with the subsequent election of Jack Swaggart to the US Senate? no
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with the title? If so does it have to do with the practice of recording quotes of important people and getting them right? ("I meant to say, 'one small step for a man...'")

Does it have to do with:

Publicity?
Being photogenic? Famous?
The space program?
The US?
The entire world?
A specific astronaut? If so, Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins?
The fact that we did not claim the moon as a national possession and that it (and space in general) are unclaimed territory?

Does it have to do with military or civil disciplines? Is the fact that Armstrong was a civilian at the time relevant?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 186

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:50 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Does it have to do with the title? only to invoke the image of the lunar landing If so does it have to do with the practice of recording quotes of important people and getting them right? ("I meant to say, 'one small step for a man...'") no... I just wanted to use the intended quote.

Does it have to do with:

Publicity? yope
Being photogenic? yope Famous? yope.
The previous three answers have a possible FA associated with them.

The space program? no
The US? no
The entire world? no
A specific astronaut? no If so, Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins? N/A
The fact that we did not claim the moon as a national possession and that it (and space in general) are unclaimed territory? no

Does it have to do with military or civil disciplines? no Is the fact that Armstrong was a civilian at the time relevant? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emm you might have guessed that I misread your puzzle statement as Apollo 13 not 11 . Surprised you resisted the urge to correct me .

Just thinking but are birth rates relevant? star signs?

Was there a baby boom as a result of celebrating the lunar landing?
I ask because my birthday is the 20th July although I was born 1 year to the day after Apollo 11 touched down. In fact if you'll indulge me 2 of my daughters also have birthdays that have major significance in the USA. My second daughter's birthday is 22 November and my youngest's is Sept 11.

If this trend continues I'm betting the next big news story over there will happen on 17 June which is my eldest's birthday.

Oh are conspiracy theories relevant?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1232

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:43 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Emm you might have guessed that I misread your puzzle statement as Apollo 13 not 11 . Surprised you resisted the urge to correct me . I wondered why I hadn't heard of Jack Swaggart while researching this puzzle... anyway, no big deal.

Just thinking but are birth rates relevant? no star signs? no

Was there a baby boom as a result of celebrating the lunar landing? irr, but I don't think so
I ask because my birthday is the 20th July although I was born 1 year to the day after Apollo 11 touched down. In fact if you'll indulge me 2 of my daughters also have birthdays that have major significance in the USA. My second daughter's birthday is 22 November the JFK assassination and my youngest's is Sept 11 the terrorist attacks.

If this trend continues I'm betting the next big news story over there will happen on 17 June which is my eldest's birthday. Since it's still June 17th here in the U.S., I feel perfectly justified in wishing your daughter a happy birthday! Oh, and nothing earth-shattering in the news... yet.

Oh are conspiracy theories relevant? no
Ddrapayo (Ddrapayo)
Username: Ddrapayo

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Off-topic- June 17th was Watergate Scandal. So it already happened.
back on-topic: Anything to do with the tape recorder being used? Other materials?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ddrapayo (Ddrapayo)
Username: Ddrapayo

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:56 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Off-topic- June 17th was Watergate Scandal. So it already happened. Touché... now we know.
back on-topic: Anything to do with the tape recorder being used? no Other materials? yes
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

publicity/photogenic/famous yope = relevant detail is that the event got a lot of attention?
A photo relevant?

If there is one factor that stands out as being particularly significant in this event having cultural impact is it: visual? tangible? conceptual?

Did the cultural impact arise before the mission? during the mission? after the mission?

Are signs of the cultural impact still observable in modern culture?

Is the cultural impact positive? negative? global? unifying? intercultural? culturespecific(i.e. only occured in one culture or could only occur in one culture)?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 149

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:57 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
publicity/photogenic/famous yope = relevant detail is that the event got a lot of attention? no
A photo relevant? yes

If there is one factor that stands out as being particularly significant in this event having cultural impact is it: visual? this tangible? conceptual?

Did the cultural impact arise before the mission? during the mission? after the mission? after

Are signs of the cultural impact still observable in modern culture? yes. Just now (the last 10 years or so) are the effects starting to wear off.

Is the cultural impact positive? negative? neither global? yes unifying? no, but not divisive either intercultural? you could say this culturespecific(i.e. only occured in one culture or could only occur in one culture)? but some of this as well

These are tough questions to answer. I sense that there's a slight FA about the meaning of "cultural." This wasn't necessarily an impact that was felt by people...
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it felt by animals then? Was it of ecological importance?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 7:51 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Was it felt by animals then? no Was it of ecological importance? no

NB My last sentence in my previous post should have been "This wasn't necessarily an impact that was felt by people..." I'm not making sense here, but you'll see when you figure it out. I hope. (-:
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way back at the beginning, when you said no to "new technologies", does that include materials science inventions?

Was there maybe a new type of synthetic material in what he was wearing? Something with the film used for the photography, since you say a photo is relevant?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Way back at the beginning, when you said no to "new technologies", does that include materials science inventions? materials science is not relevant

Was there maybe a new type of synthetic material in what he was wearing? no Something with the film used for the photography, since you say a photo is relevant? no, but you're barking up the right tree now...
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cameras involved? Some sort of tech that is now common but was pioneered by a space agency? Is a specific photograph relevant?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 187

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:15 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Cameras involved? YES! Some sort of tech that is now common but was pioneered by a space agency? for svv of "tech", possibly. I'd stick with no. Is a specific photograph relevant? not one; there were several...
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused about what you mean by technology not being involved. If you say the camera was relevant, I would consider that a form of technology--unless it was the manner or context in which the camera was used, as opposed to its type and/or film that was relevant.
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:32 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
I'm confused about what you mean by technology not being involved. If you say the camera was relevant, I would consider that a form of technology--unless it was the manner or context in which the camera was used, as opposed to its type and/or film that was relevant. I said that no new technologies were involved. The camera had been around for about 100 years at the time of the Apollo 11 mission. As for my most recent post, remember that that applies to sufficiently vague values of "technology".

Also, since you brought it up, there is something about the camera that is relevant...
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crosshairs relevant? Digital cameras relevant? Have all of NASA's photos (or the photo industry) been effected by this tech? Or are just a few specific pictures involved?

Inspirational/famous pics? Earthrise (Apollo 8)? Blue Marble (Apollo 17)? Charlie Duke jumping up and down on the moon's surface? Alan Shepard's golf shot? Buzz Aldrin w/ Armstrong reflected in his visor? Shots of the US flag? The Lunar Module? The Moon Rover?

The first two pics I mentioned have been heavily reproduced, particularly in kids' textbooks where they might be the first taste students get of the space program.

Blue Marble in particular has also influenced the environmentalist movement -- so has Carl Sagan's Little Blue Dot taken from Voyager.

Any of these relevant?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 188

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 1:54 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Crosshairs relevant? no Digital cameras relevant? no Have all of NASA's photos no (or the photo industry) yes been effected by this tech? Or are just a few specific pictures involved? not the pictures...

Inspirational/famous pics? Earthrise (Apollo 8)? Blue Marble (Apollo 17)? Charlie Duke jumping up and down on the moon's surface? Alan Shepard's golf shot? Buzz Aldrin w/ Armstrong reflected in his visor? Shots of the US flag? The Lunar Module? The Moon Rover? no to all

The first two pics I mentioned have been heavily reproduced, particularly in kids' textbooks where they might be the first taste students get of the space program. I didn't know that -- I was homeschooled, so my knowledge of traditional textbooks is somewhat limited.

Blue Marble in particular has also influenced the environmentalist movement -- so has Carl Sagan's Little Blue Dot taken from Voyager.

Any of these relevant? no
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I said that no new technologies were involved. The camera had been around for about 100 years at the time of the Apollo 11 mission."

So you mean that the fact that there WAS a camera was relevant, not that the impact itself had to do with new features of the camera (which would be new technology, just like a cell phone was new technology despite the phone itself having been around for many years).
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 8:34 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
"I said that no new technologies were involved. The camera had been around for about 100 years at the time of the Apollo 11 mission."

So you mean that the fact that there WAS a camera was relevant, yes, but... not that the impact itself had to do with new features of the camera (which would be new technology, just like a cell phone was new technology despite the phone itself having been around for many years). new features aren't the same as new technology. The impact does have to do with new "features", for svv of "features."
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Push button? Handheld? (The Apollo cameras were worn on the chest and could be easily triggered by an astronaut in a clunky suit.)
B&W? Color? Properties of taking pics on the moon involved? Crosshairs? Was the camera in question for use on the surface? In zero-g? In vacuum during a spacewalk?

Was some technique or feature first used by the space program and then distributed to the public?

Is a specific brand of camera involved? Hasselblad?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 191

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:16 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Push button? Handheld? irrelevant (The Apollo cameras were worn on the chest and could be easily triggered by an astronaut in a clunky suit.)
B&W? Color? film? irrelevant... Properties of taking pics on the moon involved? Crosshairs? no to both Was the camera in question for use on the surface? In zero-g? In vacuum during a spacewalk? I'm not certain, but it's irrelevant, anyway.

Was some technique or feature first used by the space program and then distributed to the public? yesish to yes, for feature; no for technique

Is a specific brand of camera involved? Hasselblad? yes, it was the Hasselblad cameras, but that's not particularly relevant.
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)
Username: Rubberduck

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the type of lens used important? Was it a wide-angle lens? Fish-eye lens? Did the lens have a coating to protect it from UV rays?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubberduck (Rubberduck)

Post Number: 76

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:30 am: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Was the type of lens used important? nope Was it a wide-angle lens? Fish-eye lens? Did the lens have a coating to protect it from UV rays? so irr to these
~damia~ (~damia~)
Username: ~damia~

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it a feature that current cameras have? or only cameras with film? i.e. do digital cameras have this feature? do video cameras? is it something to do with how pictures are stored? taken?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1300

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 4:09 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is it a feature that current cameras have? or only cameras with film? i.e. do digital cameras have this feature? do video cameras? they all have this type of feature; however, fewer and fewer are being made with this exact feature. I think there's also a FA here. is it something to do with how pictures are stored? taken? no to both
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm is it anything to do with the flash? zoom? something to hold the camera with? something to attach to the camera? something connected with the lens? the viewer? the button you press to take pics?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1307

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
hmm is it anything to do with the flash? zoom? something to hold the camera with? something to attach to the camera? something connected with the lens? the viewer? the button you press to take pics? None of these, but you're very much OTRT... and so close to solving it!
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an aside can you explain what the term "svv" means? Thanks.
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with making it simpler to take pictures? Easier to use the camera? Automatically set exposure or focus? Did it cause people to buy cameras with this feature/technology? Interchangeable lenses? Type of camera? Single lens reflex (SLR)? Is it a new technology that is important as opposed to feature? Technology have to do with a source of power for the camera? Batteries?
BTW - great puzzle. Congrats on your first.
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubberduck (Rubberduck)

Post Number: 77

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:32 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
As an aside can you explain what the term "svv" means? Thanks. Sure. "svv" stands for "sufficiently vague values."

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:55 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Anything to do with making it simpler to take pictures? Easier to use the camera? Automatically set exposure or focus? none of these Did it cause people to buy cameras with this feature/technology? At one point, almost every camera had this... Interchangeable lenses? Type of camera? Single lens reflex (SLR)? none of this is relevant Is it a new technology that is important as opposed to feature? no. "Feature" is not the best word, but it's the best mentioned so far... Technology have to do with a source of power for the camera? Batteries? no
BTW - great puzzle. Congrats on your first. Thanks!
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neck/shoulder strap?

Would "accessory" be a better word for the feature?

Is the "feature" something you can touch?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 446

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:59 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Neck/shoulder strap? no

Would "accessory" be a better word for the feature? no

Is the "feature" something you can touch? No. As I stated earlier, this is visible rather than tangible.
~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it some kind of logo? colour? texture?

is it something to do with the numbers of photos left? the film compartment? how film is put in? batteries?
Travis (Travis)

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

~damia~ (~damia~)

Post Number: 1312

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:06 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
is it some kind of logo? colour? this texture?

is it something to do with the numbers of photos left? the film compartment? how film is put in? batteries? no to these, but that's close enough for a...

SPOILER!!!

This is a quote from Markus Mehring, a contributor to NASA's Lunar Space Journal:

"Finally, on a cultural note, the black color of the Hasselblads made for NASA was the primary reason why 'black' suddenly became a favored 'professional look', hence almost every commercially available camera was released in black during the subsequent decades. Only recently have the companies begun to be a more creative, producing cameras with metal exteriors of different kinds, and colorful plastics. This is probably one of the lesser known results of the early manned US-spaceflight program!"

I thought it made an interesting puzzle concept. Thanks, everyone, and here's to more puzzles in the future!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: