Peter365[Frankfurter Fun] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2008 » Peter365[Frankfurter Fun] « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slightly Silly

Birds? Wouldn't Hot Dogs be more apt
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Real feathered flying birds? Real edible hot dogs?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D'oh blooper alert already.

The puzzle statement should just read

Wouldn't Hot Dogs be more apt.

Please forget all about birds they have nothing to do with this puzzle. I was guilty of a FA on my own thread which must be a first
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok forgetting all about birds

Real edible hot dogs?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok forgetting all about birds a wise move

Real edible hot dogs? yes
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So birds are completely irrelevant to the puzzle?

Wouldn't Hot Dogs be more apt as a:
snack?
image?
description?

be more apt than an alternative which is currently in place/ has been suggested?

Relevant that the puzzle statement does not end with a question mark?

Is the puzzle statement stated by any entity in or observing the situation?

People relevant?
Animals relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So birds are completely irrelevant to the puzzle? totally. I'll explain when spoiling

Wouldn't Hot Dogs be more apt as a:
snack? no
image? yope
description? yope

be more apt than an alternative which is currently in place/ has been suggested? in place

Relevant that the puzzle statement does not end with a question mark? only to demonstrate my love hate relationship with punctuation

Is the puzzle statement stated by any entity in or observing the situation? yes

People relevant? yes
Animals relevant? no
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number of relevent people = (insert LTPF list of integers)?

Is the alternative currently in place 'birds'?
They just won't go away :P
Were you considering a slight variation of the puzzle which included birds but decided against it although happened to post the puzzle statement as if it were the bird version you were hosting?
At any rate would it right to assume that following the route of bird related questions would get us nowhere in this puzzle and that the solution can be found without ever considering birds again, even as an afterthought.. and so it's best for all if we were to all pretend that 'Birds?' was never there?

Was the puzzle statement stated by a person observing the situation? to another person? also observing? as a response to something the other person had said? (or) as a comment on something they'd seen?

Was the observed thing in motion? other people?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number of relevent people = (insert LTPF list of integers)? 2 are specifically relevant but upto 20 are involved

Is the alternative currently in place 'birds'? No but my FA was that they were but to repeat no bird relevance in this puzzle
They just won't go away :P
Were you considering a slight variation of the puzzle which included birds but decided against it although happened to post the puzzle statement as if it were the bird version you were hosting? no i thought Birds was the current alternative but I was wrong so will not be answering any more bird questions LOL
At any rate would it right to assume that following the route of bird related questions would get us nowhere in this puzzle and that the solution can be found without ever considering birds again, even as an afterthought.. and so it's best for all if we were to all pretend that 'Birds?' was never there? couldn't have put it better myself

Was the puzzle statement stated by a person observing the situation? yes by me in fact to another person? yes to my wife also observing? yes but not as closely as I was as a response to something the other person had said? (or) as a comment on something they'd seen? I said it because of something I had seen

Was the observed thing in motion? yes other people? yes
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that you put square brackets around the title rather than your name? If so, does this indicate some sort of inversion? If not, going against the Man FTW!

Was it a moving vehicle? And there was a signboard on it? a logo? a slogan with a picture?

Would hot dogs have been more apt because:
It would have been funny then?
It would have been funnier then?
Been more culturally relevant?
Tasted better?
Tanvishashikant (Tanvishashikant)
Username: Tanvishashikant

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be far out, but is "Hot Dog" an apt alternative to another euphemism used for a sexual term?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that you put square brackets around the title rather than your name? lol but no. I didn't cover myself in glory when setting this puzzleIf so, does this indicate some sort of inversion? If not, going against the Man FTW!

Was it a moving vehicle? no And there was a signboard on it? a logo? a slogan with a picture? so no to these

Would hot dogs have been more apt because:
It would have been funny then? this
It would have been funnier then? no
Been more culturally relevant? no
Tasted better? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be far out, but is "Hot Dog" an apt alternative to another euphemism used for a sexual term? you are far out.... NO
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A parade involved?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A parade involved? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: While the relevant people are in motion they are not constantly in motion?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got some ideas for some new puzzles so i'll post a hint on this one.

A particular sport is relevant.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sport that people perform in pairs? Rowing? Canoeing? Synchronized swimming? Synchronized something-or-other? An Olympic sport?

Is it a one-on-one sport? Arm wrestling? Scrabble?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sport that people perform in pairs? yes but be careful as there is more to it than that Rowing? Canoeing? Synchronized swimming? Synchronized something-or-other? An Olympic sport? I'll give you a perfectly synchronized no to all

Is it a one-on-one sport? Arm wrestling? Scrabble? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify the above. Part of this sport involves a pair working together.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something remind you of a frankfurter while you were watching the sport?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something remind you of a frankfurter while you were watching the sport? yes
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mind boggles. Is this a common sport in Ireland and the UK? Curling? Did the two people remind you of the slices of bread on either side of a frankfurter? Would anyone watching this sport in normal circumstances be (reasonably) reminded of a furter? Or just in these particular circumstances? Was there any relevant commentary which led you to connect the event with a nice juicy wiener? Did you see the event live?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mind boggles.well i've got an strange way of looking at things Is this a common sport in Ireland and the UK? more UK than Ireland Curling? no Did the two people remind you of the slices of bread on either side of a frankfurter? noWould anyone watching this sport in normal circumstances be (reasonably) reminded of a furter? probably not. I've watched this sport many times and this is the only time Hot Dogs were brought to my mind. Remember two people are very relevant Or just in these particular circumstances? see above Was there any relevant commentary which led you to connect the event with a nice juicy wiener? Oooh err matron... but no Did you see the event live? live on television if you know what i mean
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bread roll relevant at all to the image you pictured? Or would it work for a toulouse sausage? A salami di Milano? Currywurst? Would you still think of hot dawgs if the sound had been switched off on the TV? Is it a betting sport? A winter sport? Ice dancing? Were both competitors male? Cricket? Not "The Batsman's Holding ...", surely?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an eating contest?
Bigpurple (Bigpurple)
Username: Bigpurple

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it badminton?

Something to do with the shuttlecock being called the birdie?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bread roll relevant at all to the image you pictured? no and it wasn't an image that made me think of Hot Dogs. Hope I didn't imply that it was Or would it work for a toulouse sausage? A salami di Milano? Currywurst? don't think so but would depend on your tasteWould you still think of hot dawgs if the sound had been switched off on the TV? yes Is it a betting sport? these days you can bet on any sport i findA winter sport? definately not see below Ice dancing? Were both competitors male? yes Cricket? yes Not "The Batsman's Holding ...", surely? ha ha No but nice to be reminded of the greatest commentary gaffe in history
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an eating contest? alas no

Is it badminton? no

Something to do with the shuttlecock being called the birdie? I think Rodney Trotter once described badminton as whacking a dead budgie over a net
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A cricket puzzle! How splendid. OK, so the two men directly involved are:

the umpires?
a player and an umpire?
the two batsmen?
the batsmen and bowler?
fielders in a slip cordon?
other players in the field?
spectators?
a batsman and his runner?
two batsmen?

Was anyone given out as a result of the incident?

If it wasn't an image that made you think of hot dogs, and it wasn't the commentary, was it perhaps:

something said during play?
a gesture made by one of the players?
an umpiring signal?
something that appeared on the scoreboard?
something in the scorecard?

Oh heck, I've just realised the answer, having typed all this. Kicks self hard! I think so, at least. Maybe I wait for one more round of replies and I'll fire away, yes?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A cricket puzzle! How splendid. OK, so the two men directly involved are: you're welcome

the umpires? no
a player and an umpire? no
the two batsmen? no
the batsmen and bowler? yesish. One is a bowler one's a batsman although they were not playing against each other
fielders in a slip cordon?
other players in the field?
spectators?
a batsman and his runner?
two batsmen? so no to rest

Was anyone given out as a result of the incident? there isn't one specific incident

If it wasn't an image that made you think of hot dogs, and it wasn't the commentary, was it perhaps:

something said during play?
a gesture made by one of the players?
an umpiring signal?
something that appeared on the scoreboard?
something in the scorecard? this

Oh heck, I've just realised the answer, having typed all this. Kicks self hard! I think so, at least. Maybe I wait for one more round of replies and I'll fire away, yes? i've no doubt you've got it
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh. So here goes (and as a cricket lover from NE England I am so ashamed of not having got it sooner): a common sight in Durham is

c Mustard b Onions.

One wag once suggested that a batsman dismissed in this way is said to have been "burgered". Unfortunately, neither Cook nor Lamb has yet been c Mustard b Onions, though I'm sure it will happen soon, and I would love to witness it.

Great puzzle, but I have to ask about the Birds. Wouldn't that be c Onions b Custard?

PS. One blogger once said that we should get Henry Blofeld to play a charity game against New Zealand, in which case he might be Blofeld c Fleming b Bond. :-)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh. So here goes (and as a cricket lover from NE England I am so ashamed of not having got it sooner): a common sight in Durham is

c Mustard b Onions. well done. When I saw your post in another puzzle about England Cricketers praying for rain I knew you'd get this

One wag once suggested that a batsman dismissed in this way is said to have been "burgered". Unfortunately, neither Cook nor Lamb has yet been c Mustard b Onions, though I'm sure it will happen soon, and I would love to witness it.

Great puzzle, but I have to ask about the Birds. Wouldn't that be c Onions b Custard?

PS. One blogger once said that we should get Henry Blofeld to play a charity game against New Zealand, in which case he might be Blofeld c Fleming b Bond. :-)

******************Spoiler******************

I should explain for the benefit of those not too familiar with Cricket. I was watching a Pro 40 match between Durham & Hampshire recently and was struck by the fact that two of Durham's players were named Graham Onions & Phil Mustard. Naturally I quiped that the team should not be known as the Durham Dynamos but the Durham Hot Dogs. I initally thought that they played for Hampshire who are nicknamed the hawks hence the Bird reference in the puzzle title.

Unlike most Irishmen I love cricket and watch it whenever I can. I once committed the ultimate offence when having a pint in my local during the epic 2005 ashes series I asked someone to flick over to Sky Sports to check the cricket score. The reaction was something like in a western when a stranger walks into the saloon and everybody turns and stares and the guy on the piano stops playing.

BTW Woodworm I hadn't heard the Henry Blofeld one before . It's a classic.

Oh and has anyone ever met anybody called Onions

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: