(Rcs) Historical Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2008 » (Rcs) Historical Scrund « Previous Next »

Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By now, I'm assuming pretty much everyone here knows what a scrund is, so I don't need to explain it here (and thanks, Nimue, for the wonderful concept!).

I had one briefly when I was about 6 or 7 regarding a certain famous person in American history. If I had known much about this person's life, I would have realized how ludicrous my misconception was, yet it stemmed from a simple observation that any American could have made. Who was the historical figure, and what was my scrund about him/her?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a president? Did he fight in a war? Is he famous enough for a Brit who wasn't taught American history?
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adult (when most famous)? Male?

LTPF list of years for his/her year of birth?

Were they famous throughout their life (i.e. born into fame)?

Is the figure famous in/for politics? entertainment?
Howardwoman (Howardwoman)
Username: Howardwoman

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Washington?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a president? Yes. Did he fight in a war? Yope. Is he famous enough for a Brit who wasn't taught American history? Yes.

Adult (when most famous)? Yes. Male? Yes.

LTPF list of years for his/her year of birth? Early 1800s.

Were they famous throughout their life (i.e. born into fame)? No.

Is the figure famous in/for politics? Yes. entertainment? No.

George Washington? No.

This might be a quickie.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it Abraham Lincoln?

Is the scrund concerning his name? early years? presidency? assassination? role in civil war? Anything to do with the fact that he was the 16th president? did you think he was one of the first presidents?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it Abraham Lincoln? Yes.

Is the scrund concerning his name? No. early years? No. presidency? Noish. assassination? No. role in civil war? No. Anything to do with the fact that he was the 16th president? Yes. did you think he was one of the first presidents? Yes, but WHY?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3790
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his face on money (on a five dollar bill?) And therefore he must be a founding father or else why isn't the second or seventh president etc on current money?
Bodo (Bodo)
Username: Bodo

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's on the penny, too.

Lessee, the Lincoln Memorial in DC? Mount Rushmore?
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his face on money (on a five dollar bill?) YES. And therefore he must be a founding father or else why isn't the second or seventh president etc on current money? Yope.

He's on the penny, too.

Lessee, the Lincoln Memorial in DC? Mount Rushmore? No to all

Lynne, you're very close (I didn't think this would be quite this quick). You just need to find one more little detail.
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that George Washington was the 1st president and is on the $1 bill did you think that Abe was the 5th president as he is on the $5. Or maybe you thought he was the 2nd president given that he is the 2nd president on a banknote.

BTW i shared a similar scrund about lincoln when i was younger . I would have thought he was one of the first 10 US presidents . I also thought that Benjamin Franklin had been president.
Rcs (Rcs)

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that George Washington was the 1st president and is on the $1 bill did you think that Abe was the 5th president as he is on the $5. YES! Spot on! Or maybe you thought he was the 2nd president given that he is the 2nd president on a banknote.

BTW i shared a similar scrund about lincoln when i was younger . I would have thought he was one of the first 10 US presidents . I also thought that Benjamin Franklin had been president.

********************SPOILER*********************
Peter365's got it! My scrund is, quite simply, I thought Lincoln was the 5th president because he's on the $5 bill (given that George Washington was on the $1 bill, and he was the first president). Sorry that was so easy.

And BTW, Lincoln is NOT the second president on a bill (we don't usually say "banknote" in the US). That would be Thomas Jefferson, who appears on the $2 bill.

I also had another scrund around the same time about American presidents in general, which I can post as another puzzle if any of you are interested in guessing what it might have been. It's something much more subtle than this one; I'll tell you that.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: