[woubit] Home sweet home Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2009 » [woubit] Home sweet home « Previous Next »

Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Three, or a million.
Bolapara (Bolapara)
Username: Bolapara

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beings on one of doctapeppa's homeworlds?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK are the 3 and one million numbers of something? is there any topical news event relevant here e.g. the credit crunch?

Any relevant professions? crimes? political aspects?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 546
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beings on one of doctapeppa's homeworlds? very possibly, but I do not know

OK are the 3 and one million numbers of something? yes is there any topical news event relevant here yes e.g. the credit crunch? but not this

Any relevant professions? yes crimes? no political aspects? yes
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The recent inauguration of Barack Obama? People around him on Inauguration Day, had he lost the election (three -- his family), or, as he actually did, won it (a million watching him -- probably several million)?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 547
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he recent inauguration of Barack Obama? very much so People around him on Inauguration Day, had he lost the election (three -- his family), or, as he actually did, won it (a million watching him -- probably several million)? not this, but good thinking
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alabama relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alabama relevant? no, although it doubtless matters to Alabamans
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 3 / a million, numbers of people? Are these the only two possible numbers that there could have been? And only one of them actually was? Or is it rather two different ways of looking at the same situation?

Is this related to Inauguration Day itself? the oath of office? the Inaugural Address? the Inaugural balls? people's travel to Washington to see the Inauguration? .... Or perhaps it's more to do with the November election? or the transition period?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 549
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 3 / a million, numbers of people? no Are these the only two possible numbers that there could have been? yes And only one of them actually was? either of them might be Or is it rather two different ways of looking at the same situation? yes

Is this related to Inauguration Day itself? yes the oath of office? no the Inaugural Address? yes the Inaugural balls? no people's travel to Washington to see the Inauguration? no .... Or perhaps it's more to do with the November election? or the transition period? with neither of these, but good thinking and good questions
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify as i'm unsure of the exact terminology, is the inaugural address the speech Obama made after the swearing in? If so would one need to be familiar with the text of the speech to solve? I watched it on TV and found it very inspiring , he's a wonderful orator.
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 550
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify as i'm unsure of the exact terminology, is the inaugural address the speech Obama made after the swearing in? yes If so would one need to be familiar with the text of the speech to solve? it would certainly help I watched it on TV and found it very inspiring , he's a wonderful orator.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any religeous themes? I recall he mentioned that America was a nation of .... and then listed a number of religeons is that relevant? Any aspect of future foreign policies? domestic? fiscal?

Is the figure 1 million a rounding up or down of a figure or is there exactly a million of something?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any religeous themes? no I recall he mentioned that America was a nation of .... and then listed a number of religions is that relevant? Any aspect of future foreign policies? domestic? fiscal? nothing in particular

Is the figure 1 million a rounding up or down of a figure or is there exactly a million of something? this one
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the writing of the speech itself? Is Jon Favreau relevant? Or just the speech itself?

Is the three, a list that Obama gives during the speech (like the "country of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus" line? And the million is then an extrapolation of that? Or is it the other way round - that the million is mentioned in the speech, and the three is an extrapolation?

Are the 3 / million, numbers of...dollars? another currency? (currencies?) countries/population of said countries?

Is it anything to with Obama's future policies / promises? The "feel-good" moments where Obama waxed lyrical about the state of the country, and America's ability to get past their current crisis? The legacy of past Presidents? The legacy of President Bush Jr?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the writing of the speech itself? no Is Jon Favreau relevant? no Or just the speech itself? well, a part of it

Is the three, a list that Obama gives during the speech (like the "country of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus" line? no And the million is then an extrapolation of that? no Or is it the other way round - that the million is mentioned in the speech, and the three is an extrapolation? not this kind of thing - three and a million are two distinct alternative possibilities

Are the 3 / million, numbers of...dollars? no another currency? (currencies?) no countries/population of said countries? no

Is it anything to with Obama's future policies / promises? yes The "feel-good" moments where Obama waxed lyrical about the state of the country, and America's ability to get past their current crisis? no The legacy of past Presidents? to a small extent, yes The legacy of President Bush Jr? likewise
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 479
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do 3 and million mean the same thing? or is it "three of this one or one million of that one"?
Do 3 and/or million stand for something countable? is it a measurement for something not countable?
dollars? years?
is the phrase "not in a million years" relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do 3 and million mean the same thing? yes or is it "three of this one or one million of that one"?
Do 3 and/or million stand for something countable? yes is it a measurement for something not countable?
dollars? years? this one
is the phrase "not in a million years" relevant? very much so
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the number 3 or million refer to number of words (i'm not suggesting that there are a million words in his speech btw). Is the phrase "Yes We Can" relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the number 3 or million refer to number of words (i'm not suggesting that there are a million words in his speech btw). no - as has been ascertained above, both three and a million refer to a number of years Is the phrase "Yes We Can" relevant? no. I often wonder whether Barack Obama's campaign managers had heard of Bob the Builder, though.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it then that something will either happen in (or by) 2012, or not in a million years?
Something BO asserted or promised in his speech?
Some other famous quotation relevant here?
Olympic Games of 2012 relevant? any other event in 2012? sporting event?
Relevant that BO mentioned in his speech almost all ethnic groups of the US, except for the American Indians?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it then that something will either happen in (or by) 2012, or not in a million years? indeed
Something BO asserted or promised in his speech? not exactly, but this is in the right forest
Some other famous quotation relevant here? yes
Olympic Games of 2012 relevant? no any other event in 2012? nothing specific sporting event? and not this kind of thing
Relevant that BO mentioned in his speech almost all ethnic groups of the US, except for the American Indians? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following relevant? The declaration of independance? The Gettysburg Address? Other presidents' inauguration addresses?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following relevant? The declaration of independance? The Gettysburg Address? Other presidents' inauguration addresses? I'm afraid not, but at least that will save you from having to look through some of the worst prose of all time as well as some of the best
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any astronomical phenomenon relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any astronomical phenomenon relevant? no
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that he took the oath twice?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that he took the oath twice? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bit stuck so a few q's to eliminate some things....

Are any of the following relevant? The first family? the new puppy? Giving up smoking? His new cabinet? Gitmo? Slavery? any war or conflict?

The fact that my wife thinks he's the most attractive man in the universe? :o)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bit stuck so a few q's to eliminate some things....

Are any of the following relevant? The first family? the new puppy? Giving up smoking? His new cabinet? Gitmo? Slavery? any war or conflict? none of those - what is relevant is something that he said in his inaugural address, but it was a general rather than a specific allusion

The fact that my wife thinks he's the most attractive man in the universe? as I recall, he made no mention of this, but I expect he would be pleased
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to check is the one million years exactly how long something will take to happen if it doesn't happen in the next 3 years? Is this your opinion or Barack's or someone else's for that matter? I might be FAing here.

I know you normally don't mind us using internet aids in your puzzles so I've taken the liberty of extracting a few quotes from the speech to check their relevance if any to the puzzle.

"They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this America: They will be met."

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America."

"We will restore science to its rightful place and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality..."

Please accept my apologies if this approach is not in the spirit of the puzzle. I'll leave it at those 3 just in case.

One last thing is there any grammatical oddity or quirky use of language in the speech that you've picked up on?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to check is the one million years exactly how long something will take to happen if it doesn't happen in the next 3 years? well, not to the day, but near enough Is this your opinion or Barack's or someone else's this one for that matter? I might be FAing here. not at all

I know you normally don't mind us using internet aids in your puzzles so I've taken the liberty of extracting a few quotes from the speech to check their relevance if any to the puzzle. \b[perfectly fine}

"They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this America: They will be met." not this

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America." but this - now then...

"We will restore science to its rightful place and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality..." and not this

One last thing is there any grammatical oddity or quirky use of language in the speech that you've picked up on? no, not particularly
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said this is someone else's opinion. Would it be relevant to find out who's opinion?

In about 3 years Obama will be deciding if he should run for re-election...right track?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said this is someone else's opinion. Would it be relevant to find out whose opinion? yes

In about 3 years Obama will be deciding if he should run for re-election...right track? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't believe it. I thought of that dusting off quote right from the start and am kicking myself for not posting it earlier.

Is the other person a US citizen? a political commentator? a politician? an ex-president? a scientist/geologist?

Is there some play on the words "remaking America". Does someone take this literally and give their opinion as to how long it took shifting land masses to settle and create the piece of earth that is now the united states?

Or is there any literal interpretation of "dusting ourselves off"?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is FA the other person a US citizen? yes a political commentator? a politician? an ex-president? a scientist/geologist? but none of the others

Is there some play on the words "remaking America". no Does someone take this literally and give their opinion as to how long it took shifting land masses to settle and create the piece of earth that is now the united states? no, but good thinking

Or is there any literal interpretation of "dusting ourselves off"? no
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So apparently the guy's dead? Or not a citizen anymore?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 606
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or are there several other people...?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So apparently the guy's FA dead? yes Or not a citizen anymore? I am not sure whether or not US citizenship expires with the citizen, but I would imagine that it does
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 565
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or are there several other people...? no, just one
Crazypalpig (Crazypalpig)
Username: Crazypalpig

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Person with opinion, HAF?

Was the opinion made after the inauguration? And so s(he) died in the past 9 days?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Person with opinion, HAF? all of these

Was the opinion made after the inauguration? no And so s(he) died in the past 9 days? she died some 14 years prior to the inauguration of President Obama
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she Jackie Onassis?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she Jackie Onassis? no
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she famous? An actress? a singer or musician? a poet? a writer? an artist? a chess player? a famous person's spouse or mother?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 568
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she famous? yes An actress? this one a singer and this one or musician? a poet? a writer? an artist? a chess player? a famous person's spouse or mother?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ginger Rogers? (Was she a singer, too?)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 569
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ginger Rogers? indeed (Was she a singer, too?) well, she might not have appeared in all those musicals if she hadn't been
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have a point.

Is a particular quote by/about Ginger Rogers relevant? If so, does this quote include the words "not in a million years"?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 570
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a particular quote by/about Ginger Rogers relevant? yes, for svv of "particular" If so, does this quote include the words "not in a million years"? not precisely, but close enough
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm the only thing I know about Ginger Rogers (apart from her movies etc) is that she was a far right wing republican withn strong anti-communist views is this relevant? Is McCarthyism relevant? Cuba?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm the only thing I know about Ginger Rogers (apart from her movies etc) is that she was a far right wing republican withn strong anti-communist views is this relevant? Is McCarthyism relevant? Cuba? not this sort of thing. Better concentrate on the musicals, in particular the one that contains a phrase to which you have already alluded.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"No one could teach you to dance in a million years!" (Swing Time, 1936)? As usual, I assume googling is allowed...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that half the solution . There is another song called "Pick yourself up" which contains the line "Wwhen my chin is on the ground,I pick myself up, dust myself off,Start all over again."

later in the song Fred mentions being able to do a nifty by the time he's fifty. So was he 47 then and therefore 3 years away from learning to dance then but in another song it'll take a million years for him to learn? I'm not sure of the exact lyrics or Astaires age when he made that movie so this is a google free attempt.
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Obama quoted Ginger Rogers in his inauguration speech? Cool :-)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"No one could teach you to dance in a million years!" (Swing Time, 1936)? indeed As usual, I assume googling is allowed...of course

I think that half the solution . There is another song called "Pick yourself up" which contains the line "Wwhen my chin is on the ground,I pick myself up, dust myself off,Start all over again."

later in the song Fred mentions being able to do a nifty by the time he's fifty. So was he 47 then and therefore 3 years away from learning to dance then but in another song it'll take a million years for him to learn? I'm not sure of the exact lyrics or Astaires age when he made that movie so this is a google free attempt. not a bad one at all. Fred Astaire, however, was born Frederick Austerlitz in 1899, so was a mere 37 when he made Swing Time with Ginger Rogers. The line Arek quotes occurs at the end of the song Pick Yourself Up, in the middle of which Astaire does indeed assert that he hopes to be able to dance by the time he's fifty. However...

So Obama quoted Ginger Rogers in his inauguration speech? he did indeed. Down with the kids, that dude.
Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't Obama 47? And that was the line he quoted, that he could do a nifty by the time he was fifty, which for Obama was only 3 years away? Is that the answer?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't Obama 47? he is And that was the line he quoted, that he could do a nifty by the time he was fifty, which for Obama was only 3 years away? Is that the answer? close enough

***** SPOILER *****

President Obama is indeed 47 years old, although he may believe he is 48, given that he said in his inaugural address:

"Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath."

which is not entirely accurate. Still, since he managed to bungle the aforementioned oath and thus was not President at the time of his address, at least he did not begin his Presidential career with a falsehood.

He later remarked that:

"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again"

thus echoing the words of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the musical Swing Time. Astaire gave himself until he was fifty to learn to dance; Obama, on the same timescale, has three years to make the United States nifty once more. Otherwise, it may well take a million.

One encouraging sign, perhaps: although President Obama can't dance like Fred Astaire (only one man could), he can dance considerably better than George W Bush. Maybe he can do other things better also. I am not, as most of you will know, either an American or a religious man, but if I may, I would like to echo the words of a different song and hope, on behalf of our former colony, that God will indeed bless your home sweet home.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: