[Enjay] Deliberate error Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2009 » [Enjay] Deliberate error « Previous Next »

Enjay (Enjay)
Username: Enjay

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been away for a while, but I came across something that I thought would make a good puzzle.

I generally consider it important to spell corrrectly. So why, when writing something recently, did I deliberately misspell a word?
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To find out whether someone would notice it? To invoke a certain connotation of the word? Because readers would assume the misspelled form was in fact correct?

Are computers relevant to the solution?

Was what you wrote intended to be published? To be sent or given to a single person? To several persons? Just to be processed by a machine? To be read only by yourself? Not to be read at all for some time (e.g. a will written by a person who probably won't die soon)?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To find out whether someone would notice it? No
To invoke a certain connotation of the word? No
Because readers would assume the misspelled form was in fact correct? No

Are computers relevant to the solution? Yes

Was what you wrote intended to be published? To be sent or given to a single person? To several persons? Just to be processed by a machine? To be read only by yourself? Not to be read at all for some time (e.g. a will written by a person who probably won't die soon)? It could be any of these really. I'd have been less likely to misspell the word if it was only to be read by me though.
Markobr (Markobr)

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spellchecking relevant? Spam filtering? Printing? E-Mail? Other internet services? Availability of certain characters on a keyboard? ASCII?

Was the text you wrote in English? Would the lateral work with a text in another language? Any other language?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spellchecking relevant? Yup
Spam filtering? Printing? E-Mail? Other internet services? Availability of certain characters on a keyboard? Yes ASCII?
No to everything else

Was the text you wrote in English? No Would the lateral work with a text in another language? There are probably many languages it would work with Any other language? I think there are some it would not work with.

Making good progress already :-)
Markobr (Markobr)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a difference between "Yup" and "Yes"?

Umlauts, acutes or similar characters relevant?

Would it have been difficult to enter the correct spelling on your computer? Did you expect your readers to run into difficulties if they had to handle the text with correct spelling?
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word you deliberately misspelled the word "correctly" in the puzzle statement? (You spelled it with three r's.)
Rubberduck (Rubberduck)
Username: Rubberduck

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you spell correctly wrong in order to make this puzzle?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a difference between "Yup" and "Yes"? No, sorry didn't mean to confuse.

Umlauts, acutes or similar characters relevant? Yes

Would it have been difficult to enter the correct spelling on your computer? yes
Did you expect your readers to run into difficulties if they had to handle the text with correct spelling? Not this

Alex and Rubberduck: No, that was completely unintentional! I checked really carefully to make sure I hadn't misspelled anything in the statement because I thought that would confuse people. Not carefully enough, clearly.
Pikachizzle (Pikachizzle)
Username: Pikachizzle

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you spell a word without an accent mark, and your word processor auto-corrected it for you? Technically, the word would've been misspelled.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you spell a word without an accent mark, and your word processor auto-corrected it for you? Technically, the word would've been misspelled. Not quite this, but heading along the right lines. My misspelling was a little more than just missing off an accent.

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using a word processor that has an auto-corrector?
Relevant?
Is this why you made your deliberate error?
Is there a special key that you set to an auto-correct that you cannot conveniently type on a regular QWERTY keyboard?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using a word processor that has an auto-corrector?
Relevant? No. It's the spellcheck function rather than autocorrect that's relevant here
Is this why you made your deliberate error?
Is there a special key that you set to an auto-correct that you cannot conveniently type on a regular QWERTY keyboard? No, but still thinking along the right lines.
Markobr (Markobr)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your keyboard defective in any way?

Is the spellcheck function only relevant insofar as it caused you to *deliberately* misspell (otherwise you wouldn't have noticed something was misspelled)?

Did you expect the correct and the misspelled version of the word would look the same for your reader(s)?

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want to "add" the word to the dictionary?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your keyboard defective in any way? Only in that it doesn't have accented characters

Is the spellcheck function only relevant insofar as it caused you to *deliberately* misspell (otherwise you wouldn't have noticed something was misspelled)? No, I consciously did the misspelling. The spellcheck is relevant in a different way.

Did you expect the correct and the misspelled version of the word would look the same for your reader(s)? No

Do you want to "add" the word to the dictionary? No. In fact, this would only work if the word that I actually wanted to write was already in the dictionary.

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, let's say you're typing a proper noun that isn't in the dictionary. For example, let's say that I want to write "Pikachizzle" in every article that I write, but I'm tired of getting a red underline, telling me that "Pikachizzle" is spelled incorrectly, when it's merely my name. So I go to spellcheck and "add" "Pikachizzle" to the dictionary.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, let's say you're typing a proper noun that isn't in the dictionary. For example, let's say that I want to write "Pikachizzle" in every article that I write, but I'm tired of getting a red underline, telling me that "Pikachizzle" is spelled incorrectly, when it's merely my name. So I go to spellcheck and "add" "Pikachizzle" to the dictionary.
But in that case you would have been spelling the word "Pikachizzle" correctly, it's just that the spellcheck doesn't recognise it. In my case, I wanted to type a word that was recognised by the spellcheck, but instead I typed it wrong.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to be clear--accents are relevant to the puzzle, but the word wasn't just missing an accent? Did it have an unnecessary accent?
Or...was it missing a letter? Did it have an extra letter? Was it off by more than one letter? More than one syllable? Was it spelled phonetically, but incorrectly?

Were you trying to test the spellcheck? Seeing if you could trick it? Could more than one word work in this scenario? Could any word work?

Post Number: 381
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your document really long and you're too lazy to use the search function, so you misspelled a word as a placeholder?

Shots in the dark, now.
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to be clear--accents are relevant to the puzzle, but the word wasn't just missing an accent? Correct.
Did it have an unnecessary accent? No
Or...was it missing a letter? Did it have an extra letter? Was it off by more than one letter? More than one syllable? Was it spelled phonetically, but incorrectly? Could be any of these really, so long as it was spelled wrongly.

Were you trying to test the spellcheck? No
Seeing if you could trick it? No
Could more than one word work in this scenario? Yes
Could any word work? No
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your document really long and you're too lazy to use the search function, so you misspelled a word as a placeholder? No, but that's a clever idea.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you ever intend to correct the misspelling? If so, on the computer? After printing? Do you expect someone else to correct it?

Does the word have to be a certain length to work? Start with a certain letter? Contain a certain letter(s)? Have a certain definition?
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you ever intend to correct the misspelling? Yes
If so, on the computer? This
After printing? No
Do you expect someone else to correct it? No

Does the word have to be a certain length to work? No
Start with a certain letter? No
Contain a certain letter(s)? Well, it has to contain characters that are hard to type (like accented characters, or I would just type it. Other than that, no.
Have a certain definition? No
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that you didn't want to have to type a character with an accent, so you misspelled the word and then used the spellchecker to correct it?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wanted to find related words? (So if you put in shoy it might come up with: soy, shy, showy etc.)
You didn't know the correct spelling?
(Probably said before.)
Enjay (Enjay)

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, this is very odd. I swear I posted the spoiler yesterday (Alex pretty much got it). It must have not gone through. Anyhow:

** SPOILER **
I often have to type in French using Microsoft Word, but my keyboard doesn't have accented characters. Sometimes I can just type the word unaccented and then use the spellcheck to correct it, but sometime the unaccented version of the word is also a valid word so the spellcheck doesn't come up with any suggestions. So, I spell the word slightly wrongly, then select the accented version from the list of spelling suggestions. It's quicker than manually adding in each accent.

Thank you all for playing.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Alex and Enjay! That was quite tricky!
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see. Good one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: