[Logician] A Straightforward Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2009 » [Logician] A Straightforward Scrund « Previous Next »

Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a particular scrund when I was younger. I can't remember when I was disabused from this scrund, but I can remember a time when I easily could have been. Indeed, if I had just shut up for a few seconds, I probably would have. Why?
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you were younger- when you were a small child? Would it be considered a common scrund? Did it involve- clothes? food/eating? bedtime? sleeping? cars? toys? water? bathing? swimming?
using the restroom? monsters? darkness? music? t.v.? video games? playground? school? riding the bus to school? something you were scared of?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be clear--you should have "shut up" during this one particular moment? Or would being quieter in general have helped? Does shutting up entail not talking? Talking more softly? Not making a sound other than talking?
If you had shut up for a few seconds, would someone have told you something? Would you have heard a certain sound? Would you have overheard someone else talking? Telephones relevant?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you were younger- when you were a small child? yes Would it be considered a common scrund? not sure - I imagine it could easily be Did it involve- clothes? food/eating? bedtime? sleeping? cars? toys? water? bathing? swimming?
using the restroom? monsters? darkness? music? t.v.? video games? playground? school? riding the bus to school? something you were scared of? none of these, unfortunately

To be clear--you should have "shut up" during this one particular moment? yes Or would being quieter in general have helped? Does shutting up entail not talking? Talking more softly? either of these would work Not making a sound other than talking?
If you had shut up for a few seconds, would someone have told you something? Would you have heard a certain sound? Would you have overheard someone else talking? this is closest Telephones relevant? no
John_w (John_w)
Username: John_w

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with sport? An electronic device? Some other device?
Was it some type of activity?
Is it something which we would be exposed to often?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with sport? An electronic device? Some other device?
Was it some type of activity? none of these
Is it something which we would be exposed to often? fairly often, yes
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, just realised that there's a slight BLOOPER there:

Anything to do with sport? An electronic device? yesish Some other device?
John_w (John_w)
Username: John_w

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund to do with its name, purpose, lack or purpose, how it worked?
Is it small? (book sized) smaller? big(PC sized) Bigger? Even bigger? Huge?
Would most households contain one or more?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund to do with its name, purpose, lack or purpose, no how it worked noish/indirectly?
Is it small? (book sized) smaller? big(PC sized) Bigger? Even bigger? Huge? comes in all sizes
Would most households contain one or more? possibly, yes
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A television?

Would you have figured out the truth if you had heard something on television? On radio? In a classroom?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A television? this plays a significant part, yes

Would you have figured out the truth if you had heard something on television? yes On radio? In a classroom? neither of these
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the scrund relate to:
the way in which a television set itself works?
the content of a program you were watching on television?
some fact about the world in general that would have been discussed on television?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the scrund relate to:
the way in which a television set itself works? yesish
the content of a program you were watching on television? no
some fact about the world in general that would have been discussed on television? this also
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that all TV was live (that what you were seeing was actually happening somewhere at that very moment)?

Did you think that fictional characters on TV were real people?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 560
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that all TV was live (that what you were seeing was actually happening somewhere at that very moment)? no

Did you think that fictional characters on TV were real people? no
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said yesish to "the way in which a television set itself works." Would it be more accurate to say:

The way a tv show is recorded?
The way electricity works?
The way CRT technology works?
The role of actors?
The way a tv set doesn't work (i.e. perhaps you thought it used film reels like a movie)?
The way color tv gets colored?
The way speakers work?
If none of the above, which is closest?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said yesish to "the way in which a television set itself works." Would it be more accurate to say:

The way a tv show is recorded? yes
The way electricity works?
The way CRT technology works? I believe so, yes - could you clarify what you mean by this?
The role of actors?
The way a tv set doesn't work (i.e. perhaps you thought it used film reels like a movie)?
The way color tv gets colored?
The way speakers work?
If none of the above, which is closest?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(The way CRT technology works? you said: I believe so, yes - could you clarify what you mean by this?)

Clarification:
Did your scrund have anything to do specifically with the functioning of the cathode ray tube, i.e. with the actual mechanism or process by which the signal from the cable or antenna is transformed into an image on your screen (on an older tv)?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 565
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for not replying quicker - I was on a holiday for a few days, then my computer broke down :-(

(The way CRT technology works? you said: I believe so, yes - could you clarify what you mean by this?)

Clarification:
Did your scrund have anything to do specifically with the functioning of the cathode ray tube, i.e. with the actual mechanism or process by which the signal from the cable or antenna is transformed into an image on your screen (on an older tv)? Ah, I see. In that case, that isn't part of it.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the scrund relate to the cameras that filmed shows? Would this scrund apply to all TV, or just certain types of shows? Does it involve studio audiences? Dialogue? Reality vs. non-reality in any way?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the scrund relate to the cameras that filmed shows? yesish Would this scrund apply to all TV, or just certain types of shows? the latter Does it involve studio audiences? Dialogue? Reality vs. non-reality in any way? no to the rest
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sitcoms? dramas? sports events on tv? other live events? movies on tv?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sitcoms? dramas? sports events on tv? other live events? movies on tv? none of these - on the wrong track
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

black and white shows? news? color tv shows? shows filmed digitally? shows filmed with actual film?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 576
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

black and white shows? this one news? color tv shows? shows filmed digitally? shows filmed with actual film?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the actors and sets being filmed were actually black and white? That they were filmed in color but then broadcast in black and white? That they would be in color if you had a color tv?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, August 21, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the actors and sets being filmed were actually black and white? yes! That they were filmed in color but then broadcast in black and white? That they would be in color if you had a color tv? so no to these
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the world was black and white before you were born? (I did....)

when my daughter was about five she heard some Glenn Miller music being played on our record player (remember record players? Probably not!) She swayed along and said 'this is black and white music'. Very astute!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you know Lynne, I vaguely remember having a similar scrund when I was little. My memory isn't exactly of the scrund, but of having a discussion with my mom as she set me straight about it. I think the Wizard of Oz is what tipped off the discussion.

Wait, is the Wizard of Oz relevant? Did you think it was really black and white in Kansas? But somewhere in that part of the movie, one of the characters mentions a color, which should have tipped you off, but didn't?

Or in a more general sense, did you watch a black and white movie where a character describes something in the scene as being a particular color?
Logician (Logician)

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lynne

Did you think that the world was black and white before you were born? yes! (I did....) glad to know I wasn't alone :-)

when my daughter was about five she heard some Glenn Miller music being played on our record player (remember record players? Probably not! you mean tape machines, right? ;)) She swayed along and said 'this is black and white music'. Very astute!

Noel

you know Lynne, I vaguely remember having a similar scrund when I was little. My memory isn't exactly of the scrund, but of having a discussion with my mom as she set me straight about it. I think the Wizard of Oz is what tipped off the discussion.

Wait, is the Wizard of Oz relevant? not specifically, no Did you think it was really black and white in Kansas? But somewhere in that part of the movie, one of the characters mentions a color, which should have tipped you off, but didn't?

Or in a more general sense, did you watch a black and white movie where a character describes something in the scene as being a particular color? spot on! Technically, as this wasn't exactly the puzzle statement, there's more to find out, but I think that's easily enough for a ***** SPOILER *****...

...I did indeed believe that pictures/films that were in black and white, were so because they actually were. I can't remember the exact movie I watched, nor the exact details, but the upshot of it is that a character saw a black-and-white picture and asked what the actual colour of it was. Cue me thinking that she is an idiot, and loudly proclaiming so (in my room alone, with no-one nearby to correct me), because she could see the picture right there. What's her problem?!

Now of course, if I'd just shut up, I'd have heard the answer...and realised my scrund for what it was.

Sorry if the puzzle dragged on a little too long. Hope it was OK!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: