[Noel] The Marines? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2009 » [Noel] The Marines? « Previous Next »

Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danny was crestfallen to discover that it wasn't about soldiers.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Danny H? A? M? A kid?

Is it a book? Movie? Story? An event of some kind? If so, one that he will be directly involved in?

Did he initially think it was about soldiers? If so, from something he read? Something he was told? Something else he heard?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Danny H? yes A? no M? yes A kid? yes

Is it a book? Movie? Story? none of the previous An event of some kind? yope If so, one that he will be directly involved in? yope

Did he initially think it was about soldiers? yes If so, from something he read? Something he was told? Something else he heard? this one
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a misunderstanding? If so, was it because somebody used a word/phrase/expression which could be interpreted as related to soldiers?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a misunderstanding? yes If so, was it because somebody used a word/phrase/expression which could be interpreted as related to soldiers? no!
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just to clairify could the word heartbroken be substituted for crestfallen. (not familar with the term) Danny has a scrund? anything to do with toys? movies? video games? books?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just to clairify could the word heartbroken be substituted for crestfallen. yes (not familar with the term) Danny has a scrund? yes, I think you could call it that anything to do with toys? movies? video games? books? none of these

also, a clarification/correction: somebody used a word/phrase/expression which could be interpreted as related to soldiers? should be yes (but consider my original emphatic "no!" as a clue...it resulted from a slight misreading of the question).
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any other people relevant other than danny? his parents? does this have to do with sports? the patriots? or another team that has a name that could be confused with the service somehow? army? navy? is there a reinactment going on here?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any other people relevant other than danny? yes his parents? possibly does this have to do with sports? no the patriots? no or another team that has a name that could be confused with the service somehow? no army? no navy? no is there a reinactment going on here? no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the misunderstood term a single word? a phrase?

Did it contain the word "marine"?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the misunderstood term a single word? yes a phrase? no, but...

Did it contain the word "marine"? no, and the marines are not any more relevant than any other branch of the armed forces
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I have to be familiar with military terminology to sort this out?

Did the word actually refer to a person? living thing? object? concept?

Was it a noun? verb? adjective? adverb?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I have to be familiar with military terminology to sort this out? not at all. In fact, it might be easier to solve if you work from the other side (identifying the context where the misunderstanding occurred). The misunderstood term could be interpreted to refer to soldiers, but is not an overtly military term.

Did the word actually refer to a person? no! living thing? no object? no concept? yesish

Was it a noun? verb? adjective? adverb? none of these, and I'll save you the trouble of listing out all parts of speech. It's an interjection.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, I'm having some difficulty answering the questions that refer to "the word" or "the misunderstood term." Please note that unless you specify otherwise, I have been interpreting "the word" or "the term" as the word Danny actually heard. However, when I referred to "the misunderstood term" as being about soldiers (in my most recent reply), I was referring to his interpretation of it.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I see. Would it help if we call Danny's interpretation the "I-word" and the word which was actually said "A-word"?

Given this, are both I-word and A-word interjections?

Did Danny hear properly (ie do I-word and A-word sound completely alike)?

Would I-word be used as a military command?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I see. Would it help if we call Danny's interpretation the "I-word" this will work, but note (below) that the "I-word" is actually a phrase. and the word which was actually said "A-word"? yes, this will work. Good idea.

Given this, are both I-word and A-word interjections? A-word: yes. I-word: no

Did Danny hear properly (ie do I-word and A-word sound completely alike)? not exactly, but close

Would I-word be used as a military command? no

Now that you've established the I-word/A-word system, let me go back and reanswer some previous questions (calling them I and A for short). Now you'll see why I was having a hard time answering!

If so, was it because somebody used a word/phrase/expression which could be interpreted as related to soldiers? A: no. I: yes

Was the misunderstood term a single word? A: yes, I: no a phrase? A: no. I: yes

Did the word actually refer to a person? A: no, I: yes to yesish concept? A: yesish, I: no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would A be used often? Is it likely to be used to express:

- anger
- disbelief
- pain
- joy

If neither, does it express a feeling? If so, is the feeling rather positive? Negative?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would A be used often? yes Is it likely to be used to express:
by itself: none of the following. In the context of something bigger:
- anger no
- disbelief no
- pain sometimes
- joy sometimes

If neither, does it express a feeling? by itself: no. As part of something bigger: yes. If so, is the feeling rather positive? this situation: yes. general usage: yes or no. Negative? see previous
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you by the "context of something bigger" mean that A (is usually) used along with other words?

Can A be used by itself at all?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you by the "context of something bigger" mean that A (is usually) used along with other words? yes

Can A be used by itself at all? yes -- see below.

You raise a good point. There are actually two contexts in which A would typically be used. In the context I was thinking of (that is involved in the puzzle), it makes no sense to use it by itself, and it does not convey any specific feelings on its own.

However, there is a second situation in which it is often used, and the second situation does allows it to be used by itself. If used in the second situation, by itself, it can be used to express joy (among other things).
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the "bigger" phrase contain other types of words than interjections?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the "bigger" phrase contain other types of words than interjections? yes, and FA
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FA - because the "something bigger" is not actually a phrase?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

because the "something bigger" is not actually a phrase? yes. As a matter of fact, the "something bigger" = the "it" in the puzzle statement that still hasn't been identified, and "it" is not a phrase
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" a statement? An inscription? A title?

Was "it" pronounced aloud?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" a statement? An inscription? A title? none of these

Was "it" pronounced aloud? yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would A be used all over the English-speaking territory, or is it more likely to be used in certain areas? (e.g. Great Britain/U.S.)?

Would it be more likely to be used in a certain period of time than another?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would A be used all over the English-speaking territory, yes or is it more likely to be used in certain areas? (e.g. Great Britain/U.S.)? but this is also likely to be true.

Would it be more likely to be used in a certain period of time than another? yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to try and list some expressions to find out what A exactly was? OR would it be like looking for a needle in a haystack :-))?

Does A contain any religious connotations?

Would "I" be a noun? adjective? verb?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to try and list some expressions to find out what A exactly was? OR would it be like looking for a needle in a haystack :-))? probably like looking for a needle in a haystack; it's probably more helpful to figure out what "it" is. I think "A" will be fairly obvious once you've got "it." Also, your next question should help you quite a bit.

Does A contain any religious connotations? yes!

Would "I" be a noun? adjective? verb? well, "I" is a phrase, but it would be considered a noun phrase
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The religious connotations in A:

- Christ?
- Virgin Mary
- Holy something?

Is the "religious" word distorted (as eg. in "beejeezus"?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The religious connotations in A: none of these specifically, nor any other specific religious figure. You could say that its typical usage implies the existence of a god, but I wouldn't really call that a direct part of its connotation

- Christ?
- Virgin Mary
- Holy something?

Is the "religious" word distorted (as eg. in "beejeezus"? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Umm... you are not making this one easy, are you? ;-))

You said the context would help, right? Was the adult saying A in a usual everyday situation?

The positive feeling - would you qualify it as a pleasant surprise?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Umm...you are not making this one easy, are you? ;-))

Well, every time I get ready to give you a hint, you ask a really good question that makes me think you're getting really close. =)

Let me do a RECAP of some key details. It might help.

Danny is a child. He mishears something, which makes him think (incorrectly) that "it" is about soldiers.

"It" contains an actual word ("A"), but what he thinks "it" contains is a phrase ("I"). Other relevant people, who might include his parents, use "A", but Danny used "I."

You have figured out that "I" is a noun phrase that has something to do with people. Some people hearing "I" (including Danny) could interpret "I" as relating to soldiers, but "I" isn't a military term.

You have figured out that "A" is an interjection with religious connotations (not referencing a specific deity, though), and is usually accompanied by other words as part of something bigger. The something bigger is the "it" in the puzzle statement that Danny thinks is about soldiers. The reason he thinks it's about soldiers is because he mishears "A" as "I."

You have also figured out that "it" is not a book, a movie, a statement, an inscription, a title, or a story. However, it sort of an event that Danny will sort of be involved in (but be careful: the word "event" might be misleading).

NEW INFORMATION: I will tell you that while "it" is not a statement, "it" does contain statements. Also, I could have replaced "it wasn't" with "they weren't" in the puzzle statement and it would have been exactly the same puzzle. "It" is one of "they."

I do feel like you're very close. There's enough information in what you've figured out to figure out what "it" is, and from "it," you should be able to figure out "A" and probably "I" fairly quickly.}

You said the context would help, right? yes Was the adult saying A in a usual everyday situation? yope. It is a usual everyday situation in terms of how frequently it occurs overall. On an individual level, it's very usual for some people, very unusual for others.

The positive feeling - would you qualify it as a pleasant surprise? no
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is A "Hallelujiah"? It would help if I had a matching "I" that had to do with soldiers, but I don't...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is A "Hallelujiah"? It would help if I had a matching "I" that had to do with soldiers, but I don't... /b{no, but right idea}
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is A "Hallelujiah"? It would help if I had a matching "I" that had to do with soldiers, but I don't... no, but right idea
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen = "our men"?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen = "our men"? yes!!

I could be picky and make you figure out what "it" was, but I think it's time to put this one to rest.

****SPOILER********

I work at an educational facility where schools come on field trips. Sometimes they stay after the field trip and eat lunch.

One day, I was walking into the dining area while a Christian school was singing grace (a hymn sung as a blessing to give thanks for the food, rather than saying a spoken prayer...often done with groups of children). It was a song that repeatedly alternated a short line of verse with the line "Amen, Amen" (pronounced Ahhhh-men in this case).

The song ended, everyone got quiet, and then the silence was pierced by a teacher saying to one of the boys "Oh, honey, it's not "our men," it's "ay-men"! (note that around here, "our" rhymes with "are," not "hour") The little boy looked completely shocked and confused for a moment, and then quite disappointed, as he exclaimed "WHAT?!...OH!....Oh."

I imagined that perhaps he had mistaken the grace ("it"), or in fact all hymns ("they") as a song about soldiers, "our men." Especially the grace he was singing since it repeated Amen so often.

Thanks for all your hard work, Alhucema, and for bringing in fresh eyes, Dropofahat! And by the way, Alhucema, you weren't exactly making it easy on me either! =) =) I cannot tell you how much difficultly I had answering some of your questions, or how many I had to go look up the answer to! I relearned grammar I forgot that I ever knew. =)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are thoroughly revenged, Noel - just imagine how I was suffering, knowing that I was a little baby step away from the solution, and still had no clue?
:-))

Great puzzle, thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: