[Alhucema] A Tough Guy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2009 » [Alhucema] A Tough Guy « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My friend Mike is a really tough man.

I know that you're not going to believe me, but if he touches some of the black ones or a red one, he goes and touches a WHITE one!

Now, you must think I am lying, but I swear it is true!
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike: H/A/M?

Ones: buttons? Physical objects? Does anything happen when they are touched?

Touching: With a finger?

Time period relevant?
Location?
Other people? Things? Animals?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike: H/A/M? Yes to all

Ones: buttons? No Physical objects? Yes Does anything happen when they are touched? Yes

Touching: With a finger? Yes, for example

Time period relevant? Not really
Location? No
Other people? Things? Animals?No to all
Natanz (Natanz)
Username: Natanz

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 3 colored things the same type of objects?

Is it OK to touch a white one if you haven't touched a black or red one?

Is it dangerous to do what Mike did?

Are it objects you see every day?

Are it expensive objects?

How big are the objects:
10 feet
7 feet
4 feet
1 foot
6 inches
3 inches
1 inch
smaller?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the 3 colored things the same type of objects? basically, yes

Is it OK to touch a white one if you haven't touched a black or red one? there would be no point in doing it

Is it dangerous to do what Mike did? Yes

Are it objects you see every day? Can be. I usually see some of the black ones every day, but not the red or white ones

Are it expensive objects? No

How big are the objects:
10 feet
7 feet
4 feet
1 foot
6 inches
3 inches
1 inch
smaller? Not really important. I would say the ones Mike would use would usually be somewhere between 3 feet and 3 inches, with possible variations on both sides. They probably would not be larger than 4 feet
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and just to precise - the black objects I am likely to see every day would not be exactly the same as the black ones Mike in my puzzle would touch. I just wanted to point out that the black ones are quite common.

And also - the size of the objects does not really matter, they could be any size you can imagine, I just wanted to point out what would Mike typically come across
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything to do with working out? is he in a contest? by touch do you mean- lift? push? pull? move? twist? yank? is it something to do with nature?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything to do with working out? No is he in a contest? No by touch do you mean- lift? push? pull? move? twist? yank? Umm... he could do any of the above with the black or red ones; however, he would probably touch the white one only very lightly and carefully is it something to do with nature? In a sense, yes
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this sounds somehow familar to me. did you base this off of an old puzzle? just curious, i don't know the answer. do you have to touch a black or red one before you can touch the white one? Is mike being tough relevant at all? Do you have to be tough to touch the black ones? red ones? white ones? is what mike does something anyone can do? or you have to be tough to do it. or they just don't because it may be dangerous?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this sounds somehow familar to me. did you base this off of an old puzzle? Not any that I know of just curious, i don't know the answer. do you have to touch a black or red one before you can touch the white one? Technically, you can touch any of them independently Is mike being tough relevant at all? YesDo you have to be tough to touch the black ones? yes, if you know exactly what you are doing red ones? Definitely white ones? Definitely is what mike does something anyone can do? technically, yes or you have to be tough to do it.but you have to be tough to ACTUALLY do it or they just don't because it may be dangerous? Yes, and there's a little more to this
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: I've been thinking it over and I realize that my last answer was somehow misleading.

If anyone touches any of them deliberately, he/she definitely has to be tough. However, the fact that Mike is tough relates only to him touching the white ones.

Hope this does not sound even more confusing ;-))
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we've established that the objects are dangerous. Is this true of all three colors of objects - the red, black, and white ones?

(The below questions should be answered separately for each color, if the answers are different)

Are the objects dangerous to touch in and of themselves? Are they poisonous? Contaminated with bacteria? Very hot? Very cold? Electrical hazard?

Are the objects located somewhere dangerous? (or otherwise difficult?) to get to? Like on top of something? Underwater?

Are the objects heated metal? (White hot, red hot...) Is he a blacksmith?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we've established that the objects are dangerous. Is this true of all three colors of objects - the red, black, and white ones? Yes

(The below questions should be answered separately for each color, if the answers are different)

Are the objects dangerous to touch in and of themselves? Yes Are they poisonous? Contaminated with bacteria? Very hot?Yes to this, no to the rest Very cold? Electrical hazard?

Are the objects located somewhere dangerous? (or otherwise difficult?) to get to? Like on top of something? Underwater? None of these

Are the objects heated metal? (White hot, red hot...) Exactly so Is he a blacksmith? Yes

Very well done, Alex!

It remains to establish why Mike decides to touch white-hot metal after having touched red-hot metal or a certain kind of black metal
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

correction - "certain kind of black metal" should read as "heated black metal"
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he testing temperatures? Does his motive behind touching the red or black ones matter? Could touching these be an accident? Does he sustain a burn from the first touch? From the second?

In touching the white hot metal, is he trying to sanitize a wound? Cauterize a wound? Make the burn worse?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White-hot metal is hotter than red-hot or black-hot metal, right? Does he touch the white-hot metal to kill nerve cells so he doesn't feel the pain from being burnt by the other two? Kind of like cauterizing a wound?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he testing temperatures? No Does his motive behind touching the red or black ones matter? Yes Could touching these be an accident? It is indeed Does he sustain a burn from the first touch? Yes From the second? Yes

In touching the white hot metal, is he trying to sanitize a wound? Cauterize a wound? This one Make the burn worse?

White-hot metal is hotter than red-hot or black-hot metal, right? Absolutely Does he touch the white-hot metal to kill nerve cells so he doesn't feel the pain from being burnt by the other two? Exactly so. Well done! Kind of like cauterizing a wound? Yes

**********SPOILER*************

My friend Mike is a blacksmith. As he works with iron all the time he sometimes happens to touch hot iron by mistake. It can be red-hot iron (approx. 1200-1500 F, or 650 - 800 C) or, more often, iron which is still black but has about 1000 -1100 F or 550 - 600C. This is really treacherous because it looks the same as cold iron but if you grab it you get burned and it hurts like hell.

Mike knows that hot iron (over 2300F, or 1250C) is actually able to burn his nerves dumb and relieve him of the pain caused from the burns with the "colder" metal. So he just puts the iron bar in the forge again and when it glows white, he softly moves it across the previously burned area.

Now you will perhaps agree with me that this takes not only a seasoned craftsman but a really TOUGH GUY.

Thank you very much for your clever questions, and Noel and Gourami for hitting the nail on the head!
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Gourami, we must have been posting at the same time.

Also, Alhucema, I REALLY enjoyed the way you phrased this puzzle statement (even if I didn't have a clue until Alex figured out that it was metal =) ).
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Noel. The pleasure is all mine. This is not to return the compliment, but I must say I admire how you stepped in and got it right away.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem, Noel, we both got there. Very good puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: