[cupofsun] A Fair & Balanced Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2009 » [cupofsun] A Fair & Balanced Scrund « Previous Next »

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For many years this scrund made me think she was a very non-judgmental woman,
but as it turns out, she might not have been the woman at all!

Early spoilers: cupofsun@gmail.com, Thanks!
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she H? A? F?

Was your scrund because of something she (alledgedly) said? did?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she H? A? F? Yes

Was your scrund because of something she (alledgedly) said? did? No

I can see this might become more confusing than I want it to be, so I am going to rephrase my scrund:

For many years this scrund made me think he thought she was a very non-judgmental woman,
but as it turns out, she might not have been the woman at all!

And he is a H/A/M, yes =)
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something?
Which you thought referred to her?
But as it turns out it might have referred to someone else?
Did she live in the 20th Century? 19th? 18th?... 1st? -1st? -2nd? ...
Did she live in America? Europe? Asia? Africa? Oceania? The US? The UK?
Did he live in any of the above places? The same place as her? The same time as her?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something? No
Which you thought referred to her? Yes
But as it turns out it might have referred to someone else? Yes
Did she live in the 20th Century? 19th? This, but FA. 18th?... 1st? -1st? -2nd? ...
Did she live in America? Europe? If she lived, it would have been here I presume. Asia? Africa? Oceania? The US? The UK?
Did he live in any of the above places? He lived in Europe The same place as her? Yes, with the possibility of the FA above. The same time as her? Yes, again with the FA.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a real live person, or a representation of some sort?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a real live person, or a representation of some sort?
Hmmm. The only way I can answer this is she could have been/probably was a real live person, but I don't know. But she either was one or wasn't, she was not a representation of anything.

But HE definitely lived in Europe, during the 19th century, and figuring out who he was is more important.

Reminder to self, don't think of puzzles that will immediately give you a headache, haha...
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he from [LTPF list of 19th century European countries]?

Was he royalty? nobility? An inventor? A business man? A news reporter? A writer? An artist?
A servant?

If she existed, and was non-judgmental...was she non-judgmental of him? Of another specific person? Of society in general?

If she existed, was she his wife? His mother? Another family member? His employer?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, I'm curious about the wording "she may not have been the woman at all" as opposed to "she may not have been a woman at all" or "she may not have been at all." Are you saying that she existed, but might not have been who he claimed she was? Or that "the woman" existed but it might not have been her? (e.g. "the woman" is his wife; he has a wife; but she is not his wife)
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he from [LTPF list of 19th century European countries]? Germany

Was he royalty? nobility? An inventor? A business man? A news reporter? A writer? An artist? This is the closest.
A servant?

If she existed, and was non-judgmental...was she non-judgmental of him? Of another specific person? Of society in general? She existed, but I had no idea to whom she would have been non-judgmental towards, just in general.

If she existed, was she his wife? His mother? Another family member? His employer? She would have been a love interest of his.

(Noel)
Also, I'm curious about the wording "she may not have been the woman at all" This is the only correct way to say it. as opposed to "she may not have been a woman at all" or "she may not have been at all." Are you saying that she existed, but might not have been who he claimed she was? She might not have been the woman someone claimed she was.

Or that "the woman" existed but it might not have been her? These statements are both correct in some ways. This woman definitely existed, but the scrund I had about her may have been a scrund I should have had about a different woman entirely. (e.g. "the woman" is his wife; he has a wife; but she is not his wife)

All of my FA's above stem from that I don't know who exactly you are asking about, not that she is some figment who never really existed...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A musician? A composer? A painter? A teacher? A philosopher? A dancer? An architect?

He didn't make the claim himself...Did a historian make the claim that she was his love interest? Or someone living at the same time as him?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A musician? This A composer? A painter? A teacher? A philosopher? A dancer? An architect?

He didn't make the claim himself...Did a historian make the claim that she was his love interest? Or someone living at the same time as him? Someone living at the same time as him made me think the scrund was about her. The scrund probably should have been about someone else.

But the scrund is not about her being a love interest, and that is not what someone else claimed, that is just fact. The scrund is about something else.

Noel, please just solve this before my head hurts from banging it against the table! =)
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about a song? Was it supposedly inspired after her? Named after her?

Hmm, a musician but not a composer. That rules out all of the vague guesses I had.

Was he a singer? pianist? Did he play a string instrument? A percussion instrument? A brass instrument? A woodwind instrument?

I'm trying! I'm trying! I just finished hosting a puzzle that made my head hurt, too. I'll try to keep my questions as straightforward as possible, 'k?

Also, is googling 19th century german musicians allowed? recommended? unnecessary? Do I need to figure out who he his specifically, or just general characteristics about him?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about a song? Yes Was it supposedly inspired after her? Yes! Named after her? Yes!

Hmm, a musician but not a composer. Oh, you've got it now, he's a composer as well, I just overlooked that after seeing musician, sorry. That rules out all of the vague guesses I had.

Was he a singer? pianist? Did he play a string instrument? A percussion instrument? A brass instrument? A woodwind instrument?

I'm trying! I'm trying! I just finished hosting a puzzle that made my head hurt, too. I'll try to keep my questions as straightforward as possible, 'k? Haha, I'm just teasing, you're well beyond OTRT!

Also, is googling 19th century german musicians allowed? Sure recommended? unnecessary? Do I need to figure out who he his specifically, or just general characteristics about him? You need to figure out who he is, but I think after these answers, you'll probably get it.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beethoven? Brahms? Wagner? Mendelssohn? Schumann?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beethoven? This one. Brahms? Wagner? Mendelssohn? Schumann?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank goodness most of his works were named Sonata this or Overture that! Still, there are quite a few that might refer to a woman.

Adelaide?
Die Liebe des Nächsten (Love of my Neighbor)?
Mollys Abschied (no idea what this one means, so it could have nothing whatsoever to do with a woman)?
Die Liebe (Love)?
Aurora?
Waldstein-Sonate?
Leonore?
Mignon?
"Neue Liebe, neues Leben" (New love, new life)?
Gretels Warnung?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adelaide?
Die Liebe des Nächsten (Love of my Neighbor)?
Mollys Abschied (no idea what this one means, so it could have nothing whatsoever to do with a woman)?
Die Liebe (Love)?
Aurora?
Waldstein-Sonate?
Leonore?
Mignon?
"Neue Liebe, neues Leben" (New love, new life)?
Gretels Warnung?

None of these, but when you figure out which one it is, I think you'll know.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eroica Variations?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eroica Variations? No
Rcs (Rcs)
Username: Rcs

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Für Elise?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*********************SPOILER****************
Für Elise? Yes!

As a piano playing child I always thought it was "Fair Elise", when really, it translates to "For Elise", but when I looked it up on Wikipedia I also found the info below. Turns out it might not have been for Elise at all!

"It is not certain who "Elise" was. Some scholars have suggested she was Beethoven's fifth mistress, while others have suggested that the discoverer of the piece, Ludwig Nohl, may have transcribed the title incorrectly and the original work may have been named "Für Therese" Therese being Therese Malfatti von Rohrenbach zu Dezza [1792-1851], a friend and student of Beethoven's to whom he proposed in 1810 but she turned down to marry the Austrian nobleman and state official Wilhelm von Droßdik in 1816"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_elise

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: