[Gourami] Say My Name (Lateral Advent... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2010 » [Gourami] Say My Name (Lateral Adventure!) « Previous Next »

Author Message
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 654
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to my first attempt at a lateral adventure! For those unfamiliar with the idea, this works in the same way as an old-school text adventure (you know, >take key, >go north, >talk to troll), except instead of directing a computer, you direct me. See CrazyPalPig’s “Enterprise” in July of ’08 for a random example. Basically, go around, explore the little world I’ve created, and try to escape through the shiny golden door.

Gameplay
Since I am a person and not a computer, you don’t have to give me any specific types of command. You can examine and pick up basically anything, and through the magic of adventuring, there’s no limit to the amount or weight of things you can carry. If I don’t let you do something, it’s either because it won’t help you or because you have to do something else first to make it work. When dealing with people, you can either ask them a specific question or just say “talk to ________.” I won’t describe a room in much depth as you enter, so feel free to look closer.

Set-Up
One of the things that keeps me from finishing text adventures is the frustration of trying to figure out what room’s where, whether to go north or south, where I just came from…I’m directionally confused. So, assuming you’re like me, I’m just gonna give you the floor plan. You’re in a building with 3x4, that’s 12 rooms. A corridor runs all around the outside. You’re starting in a walled-off section of the corridor, which contains a door into one of the rooms and the magical exit door. Here is a picture to use, if you like.



You wake, dazed and confused, in a room that is longer than it is wide. North of you is a plain white door. South of you is a glittering, golden door encrusted with jewels. A boy sits in a corner to the west. To the east is an empty bookshelf.
You need to find your way out of this crazy place.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
New member
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1197
Registered: 11-2008
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great! I love adventures, and this one will be my first lateral one to participate in (if I don't count the one I did not get any answer :-)) ).

Thanks for the map, I am always confused as well. I am only afraid the link does not work.


"Hey, young man? Can you tell me where I am and what I am doing here?"
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 655
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the map, I am always confused as well. I am only afraid the link does not work. Sorry about that, I'm not sure how to get one to work here. Just delete the lateralpuzzles half of the url to see it.

"Hey, young man? Can you tell me where I am and what I am doing here?"
The boy, who might be south Asian in heritage, looks up. He seems to be holding something with both hands. "Listen," he says, "I have enough problems of my own to deal with already. Three, in fact. Maybe if those were solved, I'd be free to help you out."
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
New member
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 241
Registered: 5-2007
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, go on then. What are they?"
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 656
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deathateaster (Deathateaster)

"Well, go on then. What are they?" "I can't understand a word you're saying. But whatever, I'll assume you're asking about me. I'm cold. I'm hungry. And I can't remember my name.
"In fact," the boy continues, looking thoughtful, "A lot of people around here have forgotten who they are and what they were doing. Anyway." He continues playing with the thing in his hands.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 421
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What's that you're holding?"
If he doesn't give a clear answer, see if he'll let you take a closer look.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
New member
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1200
Registered: 11-2008
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I search my pockets - perhaps I have some food in them. Then I take off my jacket and offer it to the boy.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 659
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

"What's that you're holding?" He looks at you, obviously not comprehending what you say.
If he doesn't give a clear answer, see if he'll let you take a closer look. You sneak a peek. He's holding a golden key, encrusted with jewels.

Alhucema (Alhucema)

I search my pockets - perhaps I have some food in them. All you find is lint. The especially un-tasty kind. Then I take off my jacket and offer it to the boy. You're not wearing one. And don't even think of removing any other clothes--this is a family forum, after all.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
New member
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 126
Registered: 12-2006
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu118/Gourame/text.jpg

There is the proper link, (hopefully) for people to use.

Hmmmm....
Begin singing "The Way" by Fastball, specifically the part that says:
"Anyone could see the road that they walk on is paved in gold
And its always summer, they'll never get cold
They'll never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray...

To any avail? Just had to get my musical mind out since this IS a Gourami puzzle after all.

Look around, is there any light source in this room? (Or else, how are you seeing?)
Do you cast a shadow on the walls?
Look at the bookshelf, anything on it?
Does it seem like it can it be moved?
How about the white door, does it seem like you can open it?
How about the golden door? Does it open?
Liquizt (Liquizt)
New member
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 714
Registered: 5-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect that this key would open the golden door and that we'll need to explore the rest of this lateral maze to solve the boys problems before he'll give up the key...

working along this live of thought we're not going to make any progress until we've got a rough idea of what's in each of the other rooms... so:
go north.
Liquizt (Liquizt)
New member
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 715
Registered: 5-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

line*
Also, might as well try just:
take key from the boy.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
New member
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1560
Registered: 5-2003
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thoroughly examine boy and both doors.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 662
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

There is the proper link, (hopefully) for people to use. Thank you.

Hmmmm....
Begin singing "The Way" by Fastball, specifically the part that says:
"Anyone could see the road that they walk on is paved in gold
And its always summer, they'll never get cold
They'll never get hungry
They'll never get old and gray... The boy stares at you as if you've lost your mind, and grips his key tighter.

To any avail? Just had to get my musical mind out since this IS a Gourami puzzle after all. A valient effort, and never fear, you'll soon be coming across my other favorite thing. Well, one of them.

Look around, is there any light source in this room? (Or else, how are you seeing?) The walls glow as if sunlight were streaming in on them, but there is no window.
Do you cast a shadow on the walls? Yes.
Look at the bookshelf, anything on it? No, it is completely empty.
Does it seem like it can it be moved? You give it a shove and it readily moves.
How about the white door, does it seem like you can open it? You try to open it a bit to check. Yes, it is unlocked.
How about the golden door? Does it open? No. The handle turns, but there is an empty keyhole and a huge deadbolt keeping it closed.

Liquizt (Liquizt)

I suspect that this key would open the golden door and that we'll need to explore the rest of this lateral maze to solve the boys problems before he'll give up the key...

working along this live of thought we're not going to make any progress until we've got a rough idea of what's in each of the other rooms... so:
go north.
You walk through the white door and enter another room. A man stands in the center. To your immediate left is a big hulking object. In the far right corner is a man standing in a kiosk or tiny shop of some kind. There are doors to the north, west, east, and of course the one you just came through.

Liquizt (Liquizt)

line*
Also, might as well try just:
take key from the boy. You go back south and approach the boy. When he isn't paying attention, you make a lunge for the golden key. But his strong little fingers! He fights back with a surprising, almost animal fierceness. You eventually give up. He growls at you and says, "You want the key? You help me, I'll help you."

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Thoroughly examine boy and both doors. Well, other than being angry, he's quite a cute little boy. He has dark skin and black hair, and is wearing nothing but a short, stitched-together pair of pants. Perhaps it's your past experience coloring your perception, but he seems very wiry and strong for a youngin'.

The golden door dazzles you with golden shine. It has several small gems of every color studding it, and a large emerald right in the middle. The white door is plain paneled wood.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 247
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check behind the bookcase and on the back of the bookcase. Is there anything of interest in these places?
If not, go back through the door to the north.
Are the doors to the N, W, and E of the same type as the one you just came through?
Examine the big hulking object and the kiosk/shop.
Talk to the man in the kiosk.
Talk to the man in the middle of the room.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 13
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk up to each door and check to see if they can open or not.
Can the big hulking object be moved?
What kind of kiosk is it?
is there anything on the kiosk?
does the kiosk have any writing on it?
about how old are each of the men in that room?
are either of them holding anything?
are they wearing any sort of overcoat?
go back to the first room and examine the jewels on the gold door can any of them move?
if not go through the north door to the previous room.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
New member
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1218
Registered: 11-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to the boy and tell him: "If you want me to help you, you will have to cooperate at least a little bit, won't you? You want me to find some food and clothing for you, and perhaps to figure out your name, right? And then you'll give me the key, correct? I do not know where I am, and even less where to find what you need. Can you tell me anything about this?"
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
New member
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1561
Registered: 5-2003
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine men, hulking object, and all doors. (might as well be methodical.)

Is this going to be a maze?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 664
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Check behind the bookcase and on the back of the bookcase. Is there anything of interest in these places? Checking...nothing interesting.
If not, go back through the door to the north. Done.
Are the doors to the N, W, and E of the same type as the one you just came through? Yes. They are all white, wooden, boring doors.
Examine the big hulking object and the kiosk/shop.

You approach the big thing to your left. It's sort of up-and-downy...light-colored...and pointy. It apprears that the very top part, the tip, is missing. If you found that, it might be easier to tell what it was.
The kiosk is a tiny, closet-shaped room built into the wall, with a little window where the man is looking out. You feel like he could be selling you a paper or some fast food, but there's no products or prices listed.


Talk to the man in the kiosk.

"Hello," he says, "if you want to buy, it costs two-fifty, that's two dollars and fifty cents."
Logically, your next question is, "What are you selling?"
He shrugs. "Two-fifty. NEXT!"


Talk to the man in the middle of the room.

No need, he's coming up to you.
"You there," he says. "Do you have any idea who I might be?" He scratches his head. "I could swear I was looking for something a moment ago, but I've completely forgotten what it was. If you could remind me who I am or what I was looking for, I'd be happy to help you in any way I can."


Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

Walk up to each door and check to see if they can open or not. Every door in this room opens.
Can the big hulking object be moved? You can push it a few feet at a time, but it's quite tiring.
What kind of kiosk is it? See above.
is there anything on the kiosk? No. You wish there were, so you would know if it was worth $2.50.
does the kiosk have any writing on it? No.
about how old are each of the men in that room?

The guy in the kiosk is youngish, nondescript. You get the idea that he isn't that important.
The man in the middle...
Well, actually, now that you think about it, you can't really tell what he looks like. There's sort of a blurry haze surrounding him. You can see him move, and hear him talk, but no features are distinguishable.


are either of them holding anything? The man in the kiosk doesn't seem to be, though his hands are hidden. You cannot tell anything about the man in the middle.
are they wearing any sort of overcoat? The man in the kiosk is not. The man in the middle...too blurry to tell.
go back to the first room and examine the jewels on the gold door can any of them move? Hm. Actually, you could probably pry one out if you cared to.
if not go through the north door to the previous room.

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Go to the boy and tell him: "If you want me to help you, you will have to cooperate at least a little bit, won't you? You want me to find some food and clothing for you, and perhaps to figure out your name, right? And then you'll give me the key, correct? I do not know where I am, and even less where to find what you need. Can you tell me anything about this?"
The boy shakes his head. "Look, I seriously can't understand you. You need to figure out a way to communicate. I assume you're asking for the key. Well, get me what I need, and I'll give you what you need, ok?"

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Examine men, hulking object, and all doors. (might as well be methodical.) Is there anything you'd like to examine that isn't described above?

Is this going to be a maze? Not in the sense that you have to figure out where you're going; there's a link to a map above. The big shiny door is the exit, I promise. =)
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 731
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pry out one of the gems on the door. Is there anything under it?

Go through the door to the North. Describe what you see.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 666
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Pry out one of the gems on the door. You go for the big ol' emerald...got it. Should you keep it? Is there anything under it? Big empty gem-shaped hole.

Go through the door to the North. Describe what you see. Everything's about the same as before. The confused man stands in the middle of the room, kiosk guy is in his kiosk, and the big...thing is in the corner.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 735
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, keep it. Can you remove and keep the other gems too? If so, do so.

Sorry, I meant the north door leading out of that room. Please go north again and report what you see (if I'm lost already and you can't go north, then go out another door you haven't been there, tell me which door you went out, and look around).
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 669
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Yes, keep it. Can you remove and keep the other gems too? If so, do so. Done. You now have a handful of jewels in your pocket. I suppose that would be a pocketful.

Sorry, I meant the north door leading out of that room. Please go north again and report what you see (if I'm lost already and you can't go north, then go out another door you haven't been there, tell me which door you went out, and look around).
You go through the room with the kiosk, north through the next door. This room, like the last, has a door leading north, one going west, one east, and one back south. A man stands in the middle of the room. In the far right corner, four more people sit at a table, having tea.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 740
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Describe the appearance of the man in the middle. Talk to him.

Describe the people at the table. Is there anything remarkable about the table or seating arrangement? Talk to them. Ask them about their tea.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 671
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Describe the appearance of the man in the middle. As was the case for the man in the last room, it is very hard to distinguish anything about this person. Looking at his blurry form for too long gives you a headache. Talk to him. "Hi there." He says in a tone that sounds cheerful and totally lost. "It's the oddest thing, but I've completely forgotten my own name. I even had a phrase to help remind myself of my name, but it's completely gone now. Could you help me figure out who I am? I'd be awfully grateful."

Describe the people at the table. Two women and two men sit at the table, dressed in casual yet elegant attire, chatting about this and that. One of the men is wearing a crown. Is there anything remarkable about the table or seating arrangement? Nothing spectacular. The table and chairs are white wicker, like you'd see in a garden. The men sit across from each other, as do the women. Talk to them. You attempt to get into the conversation, something about...society, and sitting rooms, and culture. You mentally tune out pretty quickly. Ask them about their tea. "Lovely, isn't it?" asks one of the women. "We have cucumber sandwiches or just bread and butter. Would you care for either?"
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 757
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you take both? If so, do. If you have to choose, take the bread and butter. (I would think the hungry little boy would be more likely to eat bread and butter than cucumber sandwiches).

Ask the man if he is a king? If he says yes, ask him what he is the king of.

Go offer the little boy the bread and butter.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 676
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Can you take both? "Why, certainly!" the lady says. "Just one of each, please." If so, do. If you have to choose, take the bread and butter. (I would think the hungry little boy would be more likely to eat bread and butter than cucumber sandwiches). You take one of each.

Ask the man if he is a king? He looks up, startled. "Um, no! No, no. Oh, you mean because of this?" He quickly takes off his crown. "Just a...costume, haha! Yes, that's it!" If he says yes, ask him what he is the king of. "Nowhere! Certainly no small northern European country."

Go offer the little boy the bread and butter. You go back two rooms to the little boy and hand it to him. The little brat sticks out his tongue. "Sure, I'm hungry, but I'm not going to eat just anything! Could you find something with a little more substance, please? Something, like, y'know...good?"
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 761
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Offer the boy the cucumber sandwich?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 679
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Offer the boy the cucumber sandwich? He just shakes his head sadly.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 17
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back to the table room. Go to the man in the middle of the room. See if you can physically touch him by shaking his hand and saying that you forgot to introduce yourself and that your name is greg (for orientation sake).

Go to the table. Ask them about the jeweled door. If they don't know what it is show them the jewels but make sure they don't grab them away from you.
Also ask them if they know who they are. And if they can see or hear or if they noticed the man in the middle of the room they are in. also ask the man with the crown where he got his costume.
Ask them if they how long have they been there.

Go to the kiosk room.
Show the kiosk man one of the smallest jewels and see if he will accept it as payment for the 2.50 price tag on his acclaimed product. If it is some form of food or clothing offer it to the boy.

Does the man in the middle of the kiosk room have the same effect as the man in the middle of the table room when you shake his hand?
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 19
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask the people at the table if they can speak any south asian languages.
is the light in all the rooms the same (check your shadow). if so which direction is the shadow facing?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 681
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

Go back to the table room. Done. Go to the man in the middle of the room. See if you can physically touch him by shaking his hand and saying that you forgot to introduce yourself and that your name is greg (for orientation sake). He enthusiastically shakes your hand back. He's real, alright, but you can't even see his hand clearly while you're holding it. "Hello Greg," he says, "my name is...um..."

Go to the table. Done. Ask them about the jeweled door. They seem not to have heard of it, and are distracted by their own witty banter. If they don't know what it is show them the jewels but make sure they don't grab them away from you. The only person who seems interested in those jewels is the fellow with the crown. He eyes them greedily and says, "I'm sorry, who are you again? I'd be happy to rob--I mean help you."
Also ask them if they know who they are. And if they can see or hear or if they noticed the man in the middle of the room they are in.
At first they seem too wrapped up in their own conversation. After a moment, though, the man without the crown leans over to you conspiratorially. "I know who I am, all right. And I know who the man in the middle is, too. He was sitting here with us, but Mr. Crown over there took his seat. I'll gladly give you all of our names, if you'll do one thing for me.
Please, please find something to entertain me during this tea. It's so dreadfully boring."
also ask the man with the crown where he got his costume. He laughs nervously. "Why...at the costume shoppery of course! Heh."
Ask them if they how long have they been there. One of the women replies, "Whyever does it matter how long we are here? Aren't the prices of fresh produce in town during the off-season months interesting enough to discuss for hours, days if necessary?"
The bored man rolls his eyes.


Go to the kiosk room. Ok.
Show the kiosk man one of the smallest jewels and see if he will accept it as payment for the 2.50 price tag on his acclaimed product. If it is some form of food or clothing offer it to the boy. Kiosk man shakes his head. "That's worth at least ten bucks, and I can't make change right now. Sorry. Two-fifty."

Does the man in the middle of the kiosk room have the same effect as the man in the middle of the table room when you shake his hand? Same. You can touch him (as his stares at you for just grabbing his hand), but you still can't see him.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

ask the people at the table if they can speak any south asian languages. "Goodness no!"
is the light in all the rooms the same (check your shadow). In the kiosk room is seemed a bit darker, more grey areas, more shadowy. The table room feels outdoors-y to the point that there are shadows of shrubs and trees on the walls. if so which direction is the shadow facing? You have a shadow everywhere, and it's usually just a little ahead of or behind you, as if the light was from a normal ceiling fixture.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 776
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go north again. Describe what you see.
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
New member
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 245
Registered: 5-2007
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You couldn't give the nice kiosk man a quarter of the gems in your pocket? Offer the young fellow your shirt.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 26
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask the kiosk man "it may be worth ten dollars, but will you accept it as payment. you don't need to give me money back."
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 27
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask the man at the table without the crown what it is he wants you to do for him and if he knows who the man with the crown is.
ask each of the men in the middle of each of the rooms if they notice that they look blurry because they look blurry to you.
go to the room Noel said to go to and check your shadow.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 683
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Go north again. Describe what you see. You walk north from the room with the table and enter another room with four doors. And, surprise surprise, a man stands in the center of this room too. In front of the east- and west-facing doors sit two small white things. In the far right corner is a pile of various coats and winter clothing. In the near right corner is a pool.

Deathateaster (Deathateaster)

You couldn't give the nice kiosk man a quarter of the gems in your pocket? You go south two rooms and offer the kiosk man four gems. He shakes his head, seeming to be beginning to lose his patience. "just two-fifty, please." Offer the young fellow your shirt. I assume you mean the little boy and not the kiosk man? Anyway, as I said, There wil be no disrobing in this puzzle.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

ask the kiosk man "it may be worth ten dollars, but will you accept it as payment. you don't need to give me money back." His eyes go wide and a little scary. "Two. Fifty."

ask the man at the table without the crown what it is he wants you to do for him and if he knows who the man with the crown is.
You head north again, and ask him. "Find me a novelty of some sort, if you will. Anything of interest that I may peruse while sitting here, rather than listening to their wearisome chatter." You ask about the man with the crown, but he shrugs. "Sorry, but I've never seen him before. He is a troublesome interloper, and I'm sure we wouldn't be sorry to be rid of him."

ask each of the men in the middle of each of the rooms if they notice that they look blurry because they look blurry to you.
You first ask the man in the table-room. He nods. "I thought I had noticed that, but I didn't pay much attention to it. After all, when one cannot remember who one is, everything tends to seem a bit fuzzy."
The man in the next room's answer is the same; noticed, didn't give it much thought.


go to the room Noel said to go to and check your shadow.
You go two rooms north, to the newest area. It feels more like a proper room, but still very airy and open, with light shining off the pool and creating interesting reflections.
There is nothing remarkable about your shadow.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 28
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

check all the doors in the room you are in to see if they are unlocked.
if there is any furniture or objects against the wall, check and see if they move or not.
if any people talk to them, see if they know who they are, and check what they are wearing.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 807
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the small white things. Please describe them in more detail. Try to pick them up. Do they smell like anything? What do they feel like?

Go back to the first room. Can you get the little boy to follow you to the coats? Try leading him by the hand. If he will follow you, lead him to the coats and see if he picks one out.

If he won't follow you, go to the coats and winter clothes yourself and look at them more closely. Are any of them remarkable? Do any of them remind you of the little boy? Is anything in the pockets of any of them? Or is anything under the pile of coats?

Talk to the man in the middle of the coat room.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 29
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

take three of the coats and make sure one of them can fit the young boy in the golden door room.
in what shape is the pool (triangle, square...)? what is the warmth of the pool?

SIDE NOTE: can you tell me if there is going to be any stairs or is this a one floor maze?

go to the first room and see if the boy will accept the coat. go to the kiosk room and ask why he will only take two-fifty.
go to the table room and ask the people at the table if they have $2.50.
then head back to the newest room.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 30
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

apologies...ignore side note...…
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 31
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh...how many jewels do you have in your pocket?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 685
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

check all the doors in the room you are in to see if they are unlocked. They are all unlocked.
if there is any furniture or objects against the wall, check and see if they move or not. There is only the pool and a pile of clothes, and the two thingies. The clothes will readily move. The thingies, oddly enough, will not.
if any people talk to them, see if they know who they are, and check what they are wearing.
The man in the middle of the room, as usual, is blurry. You say hello. He replies, "Hello, there, old boy. I'm in a bit of a jam, had a rather late night and..well, this is the corker...I can't quite remember my name. I had a pretty good one, too...do you happen to know it?"

Noel (Noel)

Look at the small white things. Looking...Please describe them in more detail. Oh, you see now. They're eggs. Try to pick them up. They can't be picked up. It's as if they are welded to the east and west ends of the room. Do they smell like anything? Eggs. Yum. What do they feel like? Kinda smooth and eggy.

Go back to the first room. You're there. Can you get the little boy to follow you to the coats? You can't talk to him, but... Try leading him by the hand. He hesitantly follows you. If he will follow you, lead him to the coats and see if he picks one out.
The two of you return to the coats. "For me?" he says. "Thanks!" You pick out one and are about to give it to him when the blurry man snatches it out of your hand.
"Hold on there a minute, chap. I might not remember much, but I do know these are my coats. I'll be happy to lend you one, in return for, say, a liquid reimbursement? A refreshing beverage of some sort?"


If he won't follow you, go to the coats and winter clothes yourself and look at them more closely. Are any of them remarkable? Do any of them remind you of the little boy? Is anything in the pockets of any of them? Or is anything under the pile of coats? You keep in mind the one he wants, a warm brown one, but the blurry man isn't going to let you get away with it. The boy wanders back toward the front room.

Talk to the man in the middle of the coat room. He has no more information; can't remember who he is, and needs something to drink.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

take three of the coats and make sure one of them can fit the young boy in the golden door room. The blurry man wont let you.

in what shape is the pool (triangle, square...)? It would be a circle, but it's cut off by the south and east walls. what is the warmth of the pool? You dip a toe in. It's cool, normal unheated pool temperature. You see something at the bottom.

SIDE NOTE: can you tell me if there is going to be any stairs or is this a one floor maze? One floor.

go to the first room and see if the boy will accept the coat. You can't take the coat out of the room. Your blurry friend just snatches it back. go to the kiosk room and ask why he will only take two-fifty. He blinks. "Because that's how much the product costs."
go to the table room and ask the people at the table if they have $2.50. One of the woman giggles irritatingly. "It is so unfasionable to carry cash around!"

then head back to the newest room. Back to the coat room.

oh...how many jewels do you have in your pocket? About fifteen, and then the one big emerald.

NOTE: Sorry my characters are being so uncooperative, but you guys are doing great.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 452
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the people at the table if you can borrow a cup of tea. If so, take it to the thirsty man.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 688
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Ask the people at the table if you can borrow a cup of tea. They willingly hand it to you. If so, take it to the thirsty man. You take it back to the coat room. He takes a sip and spits it out. "This doesn't have any alcohol in it, my dear boy! What kind of drink is that?"
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 453
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I guess take the empty cup back. Then, there should be one more room north of the room with the coats. Go in and describe what you see.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 32
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you go get the item at the bottom of the pool, if not can the blurry man get it for you?
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 33
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

go to the table room.
ask the people at the table if any of them have any thing of value that is worth exactly two-fifty.
use one of the jewels to make a cut in one of the eggs, so long as the jewel doesn't break.
go to the room Ohlala8 was talking about.
if there any objects describe them and see if they can move.
if any people, talk to them, see if they have any thing worth two-fifty, and see what they are wearing.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 690
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Okay, I guess take the empty cup back. You give them their cup back. Then, there should be one more room north of the room with the coats. There is indeed. Go in and describe what you see.
Once more, you enter a room with north, east, west, and back-south facing doors. And once more, there is a blurry man standing in the center of the room. There are two more figures, a man in a top hat in the near left corner, and a woman in the far right. Some music is playing.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

can you go get the item at the bottom of the pool, if not can the blurry man get it for you? You wade in and pick up the small thing. It is oblong and white, and looks like it has a jagged broken edge. Without the rest of it, you can't tell what it is.

go to the table room. Okay.
ask the people at the table if any of them have any thing of value that is worth exactly two-fifty. They shrug and shake their heads.
use one of the jewels to make a cut in one of the eggs, so long as the jewel doesn't break. You go north to the next room and cut open the west egg. A little egg goo oozes out.
go to the room Ohlala8 was talking about. You go north.
if there any objects describe them and see if they can move. No objects.
if any people, talk to them, see if they have any thing worth two-fifty, and see what they are wearing. You talk to the blurry man, asking if he needs to know his name like everyone else. "No, not really." He says calmly. "I don't know that I really had one to begin with. I would like to know what time it is, though." Of course, you can't tell what he looks like.
Next you go to the man with a top hat, who is also wearing a black evening tux. "Hello. I am the great Harry Houdini. I assume you have heard of me. I have a great many things worth a lot more than two-fifty, I assure you, but I see no reason to help you."
You go to the woman, who wears a modest brown dress, gray shawl, and glasses. "Hello," she says, "my name is Emma. Don't mind that...man over there. If you help me, I'll happily pay you for it."
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
New member
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 137
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Emma what she wants help with.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 694
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quovynyte

Ask Emma what she wants help with. "Oh, bringing down the evil capitalist establishment. In fact, I have a job for you. I want you to find the wealthiest person around here, and kill him. Or her. That would be just lovely."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 824
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Houdini if he wants anything from you.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
New member
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 144
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask everyone how wealthy they are and if they don't answer judge from their clothes.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 827
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But don't try to kill anyone (at least not yet) because we still have a lot of rooms to explore.

Ask Emma if you can help her bring down the capitalist establishment without killing anyone.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 458
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Emma if her last name is Goldman, by any chance. Not that it matters, probably, it's just nice to know who everyone is.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 34
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ask emma the amount of the reward that you would be receiving
check the light in the newest room by your shadow.
is there anything extraordinary about the west egg or the stuff inside it?
see if the west egg will move now.
ask Houdini if he can make things appear.
if so ask him for some alcohol, food or clothing of some sort.
if he gives you some take it to the thirsty man.


you know, this is my first lateral adventure and it is soooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
New member
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 148
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Emma says no to Ohlala's question ask her what her name is.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 35
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also ask houdini if he can make things disappear.
(I am going some where with this)
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 36
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

correction on my post #34
**if he gives you some ALCOHOL take THE ALCOHOL to the thirsty man.

sorry...
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 701
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask Houdini if he wants anything from you. "No, thank you, I'm quite content."

Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Ask everyone how wealthy they are and if they don't answer judge from their clothes. Everyone? Like, every single person we've met so far? That'd be twelve conversations. Can we narrow it down a bit?
The most wealthy-looking people you've seen so far are the people at the table, but they steadfastly refuse to tell you how much they have. Especially the one in the crown.
The blurry man in the coat/pool room is probably pretty well-off as well, sonsidering he has a bunch of coats and a pool, but he can't remember anything about himself.


Noel (Noel)

But don't try to kill anyone (at least not yet) because we still have a lot of rooms to explore. Don't kill anyone. Check.

Ask Emma if you can help her bring down the capitalist establishment without killing anyone. She considers your question. "No, I believe it's definitely time for action."

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Ask Emma if her last name is Goldman, by any chance. She smiles widely. "Why, yes, it is. So nice to be recognized." Not that it matters, probably, it's just nice to know who everyone is. Oh, I don't know, it might matter...;)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

ask emma the amount of the reward that you would be receiving "Hmm." She checks her pockets. "I think twenty dollars sounds about right. In whatever denomination you need, my dear."
check the light in the newest room by your shadow.
As the music plays on, you look around. This feels most like a regular room, one you might find in any home or business. The light seems to come from overhead. Your shadow does its normal shadow thing.
is there anything extraordinary about the west egg or the stuff inside it? You return south and open the egg a bit more. Albumen, yolk, shell...it all seems to be in order.
see if the west egg will move now. You still can't pick it up. It's definitely fixed to the west side.
ask Houdini if he can make things appear. He laughs. "You must have me mistaken for someone else. I am an escape artist, not some cheap stage magician."
if so ask him for some alcohol, food or clothing of some sort.
if he gives you some take it to the thirsty man. He shrugs. "I have nothing to give."


you know, this is my first lateral adventure and it is soooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I can entertain. I think it's going pretty well.

also ask houdini if he can make things disappear. He gives you a funny look. "No."
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 469
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figures the one room where I sort of know what's going on is the room where the guy doesn't need to know his name. I'm in a production of Ragtime that opens tomorrow :-)

Ah, well. Might as well have some fun. Tell Houdini to warn the duke. Tell the guy who wants to know the time that it's Ragtime (In a WHAT TIME IS IT??? RAGTIME!!! kind of way). Or the turn of the century. Or 1906. Whatever works.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 39
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask emma goldman if she knows how she got here.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 703
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Figures the one room where I sort of know what's going on is the room where the guy doesn't need to know his name. I'm in a production of Ragtime that opens tomorrow :-) Nice! And you've taken a big step forward in working that out, by the way.

Ah, well. Might as well have some fun. Tell Houdini to warn the duke. His eyes go wide. "Wha--how did you know about that?" Tell the guy who wants to know the time that it's Ragtime (In a WHAT TIME IS IT??? RAGTIME!!! kind of way).
He snaps his fingers. "That's it exactly. Thank you very, very much. I can't imagine how I forgot that." As he speaks, the air around him starts to get clearer until you can make out features. He is a mild-looking, light-haired young man with a moustache. He pats his vest and pulls out a small book. "Here, this is for you in exchange for helping me. Sorry, it's all I've got."

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

Ask emma goldman if she knows how she got here. "No, I'm afraid I don't." She says with a perplexed look. "We were all just going about our normal lives, and suddenly we were here. I have a feeling we'll figure out a way back soon, though."
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 477
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent. Examine the book. Is it just a copy of Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow, or something else? Any inscription or marginalia or anything?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 704
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Excellent. Examine the book. Is it just a copy of Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow, or something else? Any inscription or marginalia or anything?
It is an orange hardcover book, with Ragtime written in goldleaf on the cover. You check the rest of the book, but it is pretty featureless. You look inside. Every page is blank.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 843
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the man who gave it to you why it is blank. Ask him if he is EL Doctorow.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 40
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see if that man would give you his vest iff it is an over coat of some sort.
ask if the man remembers anything else.
if not go north one more time and describe what you see. if there are any objects describe them and check if they are movable.
if any people talk to them and see if they can remember who they are. ask them if they need you to do something.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 707
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask the man who gave it to you why it is blank. He glances inside. "I have no idea, I just found it lying around." Ask him if he is EL Doctorow. "No, I'm nobody really. Just my older sister's younger brother."

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

see if that man would give you his vest iff it is an over coat of some sort. "Well, I would, but I wouldn't want to be indecent." He clutches his vest tightly.
ask if the man remembers anything else. He shakes his head. "Wish I could help more."
if not go north one more time and describe what you see. if there are any objects describe them and check if they are movable. You head north...oh, wait. The door's locked.
if any people talk to them and see if they can remember who they are. ask them if they need you to do something.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 488
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, I think it's time... to head to the next row! Mwa ha ha! Go west. Or if that door's locked, go east. Wherever you end up, describe the room, talk to any people who are there, and ask them if they need anything.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 709
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

In that case, I think it's time... to head to the next row! Mwa ha ha! Go west. Or if that door's locked, go east. Wherever you end up, describe the room, talk to any people who are there, and ask them if they need anything. You try the west door...locked. East...locked.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 877
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go back and test all of the doors in all of the rooms you have been to so far. Of the doors you have not passed through yet, are any unlocked? If so, which ones?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 715
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Go back and test all of the doors in all of the rooms you have been to so far. Of the doors you have not passed through yet, are any unlocked? If so, which ones? You go all the way back south. Every door is unlocked except the east door in the pool/coat/egg room.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 881
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, go east from the first room (the room with the golden door). Describe everything you see in the new room.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 252
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP(ish)

So here’s what we have so far in the rooms:
unexplored
blurry man 4 – GIVEN name
Harry Houdini
Emma Goldman – needs death of richest person
unexplored
unexplored
blurry man 3 – needs name
pool in corner – GOT broken white thing from bottom
pile of clothes – man will trade alcohol for coat
egg-shaped thingies fixed to floor @ east and west – eggy on inside as well
unexplored
unexplored
blurry man 2 – needs name (a phrase is key)
garden table w/ elegant people - man 1 – wearing crown (possible thief) man 2 – needs entertainment
unexplored
unexplored
blurry man1 – needs name
big hulking object – missing tip
kiosk – need $2.50 for what he’s selling
unexplored
gold door – exit
boy – needs food & warmth & name
bookcase

For future reference, I'm going to refer to the northernmost set of rooms as the 1st row, etc.

This is what we have:
pocketful of jewels from door, including one large emerald
bread & butter, and cucumber sandwiches (located at garden table)
oblong white broken thing from pool
blank book (w/ title RAGTIME)

Locked doors:
Jewel door (southernmost room)
East door of pool room (middle column, 2nd row)
West door of Ragtime room (middle column, 1st row)
East door of Ragtime room (middle column, 1st row)
So in the northernmost (Ragtime) room, there is a door heading north (that's locked)?

Is all this right so far?

If there isn't an east door in the golden door room, go north to the kiosk room, then go east and describe the new room.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 887
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Kalira!!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 718
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ok, go east from the first room (the room with the golden door). Describe everything you see in the new room. There are no east or west facing doors in this room. (I know what room, you mean, and it'll be answered in Kalira's post below.)

Kalira (Kalira)

Is all this right so far? It certainly is. For a good
**************RECAP************
see Kalira's post above.


If there isn't an east door in the golden door room, go north to the kiosk room, then go east and describe the new room. You go north and east, and open the new door.
This room contains only a west door, a north door, and the door you came from. As usual, there is a figure you can't quite make out in the middle of the room, but this time he seems to be sitting or lying down. On the north end is a flower pot which contains a beautiful purple-y flower. In the far south corner is a man yelling about something.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 49
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

go talk to the man see what he is arguing about and if he is direction it to someone.
check under the flowerpot.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 888
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you describe the flower in more detail? Is it dark purple or light purple? Is it an iris? A lilac? Lavender? a purple tulip? A purple rose?

Talk to the blurry person.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 723
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

go talk to the man see what he is arguing about and if he is directing it to someone. He wears an apron and is holding a plate with a cover. As you move closer, you see that he is not arguing, just yelling. He says, "Steaks! Get your tasty steaks here, served rare and bloody! Only twenty dollars!"
check under the flowerpot. You lift it up. Nothing there.

Noel (Noel)

Can you describe the flower in more detail? Is it dark purple or light purple? Is it an iris? A lilac? Lavender? a purple tulip? A purple rose? It's a very light purple, almost white on some parts. As you inspect it, you see that it's actually a cluster of several small flowers on a long stalk. You don't think it's any of the flowers listed above.

Talk to the blurry person. He sits up, grumbling, "What do you want? I'm not in a good mood. I can't remember my name. What's more, I usually don't wake up until 12:00. Please leave me alone."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 896
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he actually have steaks on the plate? Ask him if you can see them. Describe them. Ask him how much they cost, or what he wants for one of them.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 52
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

look in the soil for anything unusual.
go north, describe what you see, if any people, describe them and talk to them. seed if they need anything to have or have done, if any objects, describe them, see if they can move.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 58
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

repeat for the next two rooms.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 731
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Does he actually have steaks on the plate? Ask him if you can see them. On your request, he lifts the cover for a moment to show that there is actually a steak there. Describe them. A tasty looking piece of red meat, presumably from a cow. Not cooked much; they are, as he says, "rare and bloody." Ask him how much they cost, or what he wants for one of them. "Twenty bucks cash, my friend." He says before continuing to shout out his pitch.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

look in the soil for anything unusual. You dig down and find nothing but the roots of the plant, which are attached to a rather large bulb.
go north, describe what you see, if any people, describe them and talk to them. seed if they need anything to have or have done, if any objects, describe them, see if they can move.
You enter yet another room where exits lead north, east, west, and back south, and a blurry figure stands in the center. Near the east door, a man scribbles on the wall. Closer to you, on the east and west walls are large murals. A large wooden contraption stands in the far left corner.
Now that you know the room outline, why don't you let me know what to say or do to each particular person/thing.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1000
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go look at the wooden contraption. Please describe it in more detail. Does it appear to have a function? If so, what is it?

can you read what the man is scribbling on the wall? What is he writing with? Talk to him. Ask him who he is, what he is doing, why he is doing it, and if there is anything he needs from you.

Describe the murals in more detail. Are they able to be lifted from the wall? Is anything underneath them?

Talk to the person in the middle. Find out what he knows. Ask him if he needs anything from you.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
New member
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 347
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations Noel!!! I can't believe you're on your 1000th post! I feel like crying (but I won't)

Is the blurry person standing on anything?
Is s/he holding anything?
Ask them what they have in their pockets.
Describe them in detail.
Prod them with the plant bulb.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 82
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you move the contraption?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 736
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1000 Nice-looking post you got there!

Go look at the wooden contraption. Please describe it in more detail.
It is tall, with a shining metallic blade attached to the top in such a way that it will fall downward with the removal of a small block, which can be accomplished by the pulling of a rope which hangs down one side. Does it appear to have a function? If so, what is it? If you had to guess...it appears to be built expressly for the removal of heads.

can you read what the man is scribbling on the wall? No, it's in French. What is he writing with? Some kind of watery red substance. Talk to him. Ask him who he is, what he is doing, why he is doing it, and if there is anything he needs from you.
"Hello there," he says, wobbling a little as he turns around. His eyes glaze as you ask your questions. "Well, my name's Jacques, and I'm writing inflammatory sentiments on the walls with wine." He holds up a bottle, sloshing it a little. "Why? Um...nothing else to do?"

Describe the murals in more detail.
They both present cityscapes. The one to the west shows a large cluster of buildings with a river running through, including one building with a large clock tower. The mural to the east...well, it also shows a lot of buildings with a river running through. One of the buildings is very tall and pointy.
Are they able to be lifted from the wall? Is anything underneath them? They are painted on the wall.

Talk to the person in the middle. Find out what he knows. Ask him if he needs anything from you.
This blurry figure gives you a polite nod. "What do I know? Well, not much, I am afraid. I have quite forgotten who I am. I know I am part of a story of some kind, but I cannot remember the name. If you could remember the title, I'd be very grateful."

Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Congratulations Noel!!! I can't believe you're on your 1000th post! I feel like crying (but I won't) Here's a tissue.

Is the blurry person standing on anything? The floor.
Is s/he holding anything? Not that you can see.
Ask them what they have in their pockets. He seems to turn out his pockets and shrug. "Not a thing, I'm afraid."
Describe them in detail.
Kind of a tall, blurry...blur. He is no more visible than any other person standing in the center of a room.
Prod them with the plant bulb. He waves a hand in front of his face. "Goodness! What is that smelly thing?"

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

Can you move the contraption? You can push it around the room with an effort, but it wont fit out any of the doors.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1047
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the blurry person if "A Tale of Two Cities" sounds familiar.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 741
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask the blurry person if "A Tale of Two Cities" sounds familiar.
As a look of relief comes over him, he becomes much less blurry. "That's it! Thank you, thank you. Here, take this. It wont be doing me any good." He hands you a gray hardcover book. "I'm off now, got to go do a far, far better thing than I have ever done and all that. Good luck."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1051
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the book. Open it up. Describe what you see inside. Describe what you see on the cover. Is it blank like the other one?

Talk to Jacques again. Ask him if you can have some wine.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 134
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you disassemble the contraption (dont acually do it)
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 149
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the contraption look like the device known as the guillotine?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 747
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Look at the book. Open it up. Describe what you see inside. Describe what you see on the cover. Is it blank like the other one?
It's a gray hardcover, with Tale of Two cities written on the front. There is nothing else written on it. Inside there are completely blank white pages.

Talk to Jacques again. "'allo!" Ask him if you can have some wine. "But of course! Although we are experiencing significant economic distress in this particular time period, there's always plenty of wine!" He hands you his bottle, pulls another one out from...somewhere, and continues drinking.

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

can you disassemble the contraption (dont acually do it) No, you don't have any tools and it looks like a real hassle anyway.

Does the contraption look like the device known as the guillotine? Yes, that's it. It was on the tip of your tongue.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1087
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the wine to the man with the pile of clothes. Give him the wine, and take the coat. Give the coat to the hungry boy.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 752
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Take the wine to the man with the pile of clothes. Give him the wine, and take the coat. Give the coat to the hungry boy. You do all the above.
When you get to the boy, he grabs the coat, jumps up and down, and puts it on. "Thank you! I am no longer cold! Just hungry. And needing to know my name."

Nice move.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1101
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the wine guy say anything else when you gave him the wine? Go back and talk to him. Ask if he wants anything else from you. Ask him if he has anything else to say.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 195
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have we explored all of the rooms on the flowerpot side yet? if not go to that room and go north to the newest room. describe the room any objects and people. dont talk to them yet.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 756
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Did the wine guy say anything else when you gave him the wine? No, he seemed lost in thought. Go back and talk to him. You return to the pool/egg/clothing pile room. He is drinking and waves as you come in. Ask if he wants anything else from you. "Thank you for the wine! Well, I'd still like to know my name, if you get a clue about that. Otherwise, I'll just be here for a while." Ask him if he has anything else to say. "Not much, old sport, not much."

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

have we explored all of the rooms on the flowerpot side yet? You don't believe so. if not go to that room and go north to the newest room. You go south, south, east to the flowerpot room, north to A Tale of Two Cities, and then north once more. describe the room any objects and people. Well, as per the routine, there is a door to the north, east, west, and one heading back south. In the middle stands the blurry figure of a kid. In the far west corner is a shell, and two wild pigs roam around the east half of the room. There is a buzzing noise. dont talk to them yet. Sure thing.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1145
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, I thought I posted this already, but it's not here. My apologies if this ends up being a double post

Ask the boy if he is Ralph or Piggy. If that doesn't work, ask him if he likes the island. Ask him about the Lord of the Flies.

Also, pick up the shell. Try blowing in the end of it like you would a trumpet. Does it make a noise? Does anything happen when it does?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 257
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap version 2.0:

unexplored
blurry man 4 – GIVEN name [Ragtime]
Harry Houdini
Emma Goldman – needs death of richest person
unexplored
unexplored
blurry man 3 – needs name (GIVEN alcohol for coat)
pool in corner – GOT broken white thing from bottom
pile of clothes – GOT coat (for alcohol)
egg-shaped thingies fixed to floor @ E & W – eggy on inside as well
blurry kid
shell
2 wild pigs
buzzing noise
unexplored
blurry man 2 – needs name (a phrase is key)
garden table w/ elegant ppl man 1 – wearing crown (possible thief) man 2 – needs entertainment
blurry man 6 – GIVEN name [TOTC]
Jacques – scribbling on wall w/ red wine
guillotine
2 murals of cities
unexplored
blurry man 1 – needs name
big hulking object – missing tip
kiosk – need $2.50 to buy whatever he’s selling
blurry man 5 – needs name (sitting/lying; late riser)
flower pot w/ beautiful very light purple-y flower
yelling man – need $20 to buy steak from him
gold door – exit
boy – needs food & name (GIVEN warmth)
bookcase


This is what we have:
pocketful of jewels from door, including one large emerald
bread & butter, and cucumber sandwiches (located at garden table)
oblong white broken thing from pool
blank book (w/ title RAGTIME)
blank book (w/ title A TALE OF TWO CITIES)

Locked doors:
Jewel door (southernmost room)
East door of pool room (middle column, 2nd row)
West door of Ragtime room (middle column, 1st row)
East door of Ragtime room (middle column, 1st row)

Any corrections from the host?



Talk to the blurry boy, and ask him if there is anything he needs. If he needs his name, ask him if it is Ralph, Piggy, or Jack, or if "Lord of the Flies" rings any bells.

Go back to the room with the big hulking object and see if the broken white thingie you found in the pool will fit on the top of it.

Go back to the room with the pigs, then go north one more room and describe what you see there.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 765
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask the boy if he is Ralph or Piggy. If that doesn't work, ask him if he likes the island. Ask him about the Lord of the Flies. He looks up at you in astonishment. "Yeah, I'm Piggy, How'd you know? And how'd you know I was trying to remember the Lord's name? You can read minds! Here, I better give you this!" He pulls a book out of his pocket and hands it to you.

Nice solve on that one!


Also, pick up the shell. Try blowing in the end of it like you would a trumpet. Done. Does it make a noise? It makes a low horn-like noise. Does anything happen when it does? You also hear a click echo around the room.

Kalira (Kalira)

Any corrections from the host? Excellent recap again. A couple things have changed because of Noel's post above, but you're perfectly accurate as of the moment before it.

Go back to the room with the big hulking object and see if the broken white thingie you found in the pool will fit on the top of it.
Let's see, you go west-south-south, and arrive back in the first blurry-man room. You put the broken piece back on the white thing, and it fits perfectly! Yep, it's definitely back together again.

Go back to the room with the pigs, then go north one more room and describe what you see there.
One room north of Lord of the Flies, you enter a room that is definitely breaking with convention. For one thing, there are only two doors other than the one you came through; one going north, one going west. You are standing on a rocky soil with scrub growing around, and the man standing in front of you is not blurry at all. There are no objects in the room.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 221
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

talk to the man and find out what he knows about the place you are in.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 222
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the way congrats on 100! posts!
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1147
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After you talk to the man, go back to the Lord of the Flies Room. Has anything changed? Is there any indication of what the clicking noise was? If not, keep your eyes open in the other rooms you've previously been in, and report whether anything has changed.

Go back to the big white thing. Now that it is back together, what does it look like? Is it doing anything?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 258
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know how I missed it for so long (English major facepalm)... Go S, then W to the room with the eggs (East and West Egg - d'oh!) and ask the blurry man if his name is Jay Gatsby or Nick Carraway, and if that doesn't work, ask him about "The Great Gatsby."

After that, go S, S and describe the big hulking thing now that it has its tip attached.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 259
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bah... need to start reloading before I final post so I don't keep stepping on what other people do... Apologies again.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 767
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

talk to the man and find out what he knows about the place you are in. You say hi to him, and he booms "Hello! Welcome to my kingdom! Or...at least a room that contains a very small part of my kingdom! Excuse my inhospitality, but at the moment I'm searching for some things I'm missing..."

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

by the way congrats on 100! posts! Thank you!

Noel (Noel)

After you talk to the man, go back to the Lord of the Flies Room. Has anything changed? Everything appears to be the same. Is there any indication of what the clicking noise was? It seemed to come from two places in the room. If not, keep your eyes open in the other rooms you've previously been in, and report whether anything has changed. Everything seems the same.
I'm just gonna give you this one, because you solved the problem before it came up: all the doors in that room were locked, and blowing the shell unlocked them.


Go back to the big white thing. Now that it is back together, what does it look like? It looks exactly like a big hulking piece of scrimshaw. In fact, that's exactly what it is. Is it doing anything? Just sitting around, showing off its intricate carvings.

Kalira (Kalira)

Don't know how I missed it for so long (English major facepalm)... The hints are a little obscure in places, I'll admit. =) Go S, then W to the room with the eggs (East and West Egg - d'oh!) Just a little lit joke.a nd ask the blurry man if his name is Jay Gatsby or Nick Carraway, and if that doesn't work, ask him about "The Great Gatsby."
He slaps a hand against his thigh. "That's it! That's what they call me! Why thank you, that was a real headscratcher. Here, a token of my gratitude." He rummages around in the coat pile, pulls out a book, and hands it to you.

After that, go S, S and describe the big hulking thing now that it has its tip attached. See above. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 260
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the room with the scrimshaw, ask the blurry man if he is looking for a white whale.

In the room east of that (flowerpot room), is the flower a Cuckoo flower? If it is, ask the blurry man here if he is from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". If it's not, ignore my somewhat out-of-left-field guess :-)
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1148
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the man in the scrimshaw room what things he is missing and searching for.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 771
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

In the room with the scrimshaw, ask the blurry man if he is looking for a white whale. He scratches his chin. "Hm...that sounds familiar...but whatever I was looking for had a particular name..."

In the room east of that (flowerpot room), is the flower a Cuckoo flower? You have to go back and look to be sure. No, it's a little more clustered and purple than a Cuckoo, but it's very similar.
If it is, ask the blurry man here if he is from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". If it's not, ignore my somewhat out-of-left-field guess :-) You might want to keep it in mind. ;)

Noel (Noel)

Ask the man in the scrimshaw room what things he is missing and searching for. You return and inquire further. "Well, that's just what I've forgotten: what I was looking for. It was something big..."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1150
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask him if he's looking for Moby Dick.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 262
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go west from the scrimshaw room and describe what you see.

Then go back to the unblurry man in the rocky soil room. Ask him how big his kingdom is, what his name is (if he knows it), and what he is missing.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 775
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)
Ask him if he's looking for Moby Dick.
He sticks a finger in the air. "I was! Thank you for the reminder. Now, I must get back to my whaling. Here, take this, I wont need it on board." He pulls a hardbound book out of his waterproof coat and gives it to you.

Kalira (Kalira)

Go west from the scrimshaw room and describe what you see. In this room, there are three doors; one heading north, one going west, and one back east. In the center of the room, you are not too surprised to see, is a blurry figure. Ahead and to the left, two men stand with arms folded, not doing much of anything. To your immediate right is some other blurred thing. It is white and glowing, and seems to hover in the air.

Then go back to the unblurry man in the rocky soil room. East, east, north, north, north...there. Ask him how big his kingdom is, what his name is (if he knows it), and what he is missing.
He smiles, seeming happy to talk more about himself. "Well, I rule justly and kindly over all my subjects in a large kingdom. My name is Odysseus, and I'm just about to set out on a short trip to a place called Troy. Figure I'll put them in their place, collect some honors, be back by dinner time. The only problem is, all my supplies have gone missing. I had a spear, a shield, and an animal sacrifice for the gods. Find that for me, my friend, and I shall reward you in whatever way I can."
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
New member
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 243
Registered: 9-2009
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

talk to the men wtih folded arms see what they know.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 263
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say "ahead and to the left," what direction are we assumed to be facing? or is it even relevant (i.e. is it more important simply that they are ahead and left - some kind of clue like the eggs, perhaps?)?

Also talk to the blurry man in the room with the folded arms men.

Can you see any more specific characteristics about the white glowing hovering blurry thing [aside from white, glowing, hovering, and blurry ;-)]?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 778
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)

talk to the men with folded arms see what they know. They glance at each other, then at you. "We know that our shift don't start til 11:55 tonight, so if yer comin' to tell us off for not workin', you'd best just turn right back around."

Kalira (Kalira)

When you say "ahead and to the left," what direction are we assumed to be facing? Ah, good question. I assumed you were facing the same direction you would have been when you first walked in the door--in this case, west. So the men are in the southwest corner.
or is it even relevant (i.e. is it more important simply that they are ahead and left - some kind of clue like the eggs, perhaps?)?
To be honest, it's not really relevant at all. Just setting up the room for any visual thinkers out there.

Also talk to the blurry man in the room with the folded arms men.
He is lost in thought at first, but you eventually get his attention. "Ah, hello my friend, if friend you be. I was just contemplating the paradox of identity, for I find myself at a loss to remember my own name. If we name ourselves, doth this mean I have no name? And without a name, will I fade with no identity into ephemeral smoke, or simply adopt a new form and persona not my own?" He shrugs. "Either way, I'd appreciate it if you could help remember my name."

Can you see any more specific characteristics about the white glowing hovering blurry thing [aside from white, glowing, hovering, and blurry ;-)]? As you get closer, it certainly adopts a human-like form...it floats about two feet above the ground with no means of support, making a soft moaning noise...and it appears to be glowering at you.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1172
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the men with folded arms what time it is now (since it's not 11:55 yet).

Ask the blurry man in that room if he is Galileo.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
New member
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 518
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he's not Galileo, ask him if he's Hamlet and that's his father's ghost, although I'm not sure where the workers come into it. Or maybe Romeo?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 781
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask the men with folded arms what time it is now (since it's not 11:55 yet). They glance around and the big talker says, "I'd reckon it's near on 11:51. But it's been 11:51 for hours, so I can't judge."

Ask the blurry man in that room if he is Galileo. "No, I do not believe so."

Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

If he's not Galileo, ask him if he's Hamlet and that's his father's ghost, although I'm not sure where the workers come into it. Or maybe Romeo?
At the word Hamlet, he brightens. "Aye, that seems quite familiar. However, who are you, and who am I to believe you? How could one ever know the truth of anothers' words?
Perhaps if I heard from my own kin that 'Hamlet' was indeed my name, I would believe it."

(Good literature guessing, you all!)
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1185
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...11:51. 9 to 12? 9 till 12? It seems like a clue for something. Hmm.

Can you talk to the floating white thing? Can you ask who/what it is? Is it Hamlet's mom? Hamlet's dad? Hamlet's wife? Hamlet's uncle?

Ask the crossed-arms guys if they are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 794
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Can you talk to the floating white thing? You say hello and it raises an ethereal eyebrow. Can you ask who/what it is? Is it Hamlet's mom? Hamlet's dad? Hamlet's wife? Hamlet's uncle? "Yes, I am King Hamlet, father of Hamlet, murdered by the usurper currently on the throne."

Ask the crossed-arms guys if they are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. They look at each other and laugh. "Those two palace fops? Nah, we're real working men."

I'm just going to tell you, because nothing is meant to overly confuse: The two men were meant as a clue. They serve no other practical purpose. Now that you've found out the book, you can ignore them.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1194
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask King Hamlet if he can move around, and if so, if he would go tell his son that he really is Hamlet.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 797
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask King Hamlet if he can move around, and if so, if he would go tell his son that he really is Hamlet. He says that yes, he can move around, but when you make the second request, he shakes his head and crosses his ghostly arms. "What hast thou done for me lately?"
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1304
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask King Hamlet what he wants you to do for him.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1388
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*nudge* please don't forget about this one. I've seen you answer questions on another puzzle as recently as the 10th, so since you've been around, I'm bumping it in case you didn't realize there was a post waiting for you.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 802
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask King Hamlet what he wants you to do for him. He grimaces. "An evil man named Claudius has usurped my throne and is now king of our land. And I get the feeling that my little philosopher over there will never do anything about it. If you could kill Claudius for me, it'd be much appreciated."

*nudge* please don't forget about this one. I've seen you answer questions on another puzzle as recently as the 10th, so since you've been around, I'm bumping it in case you didn't realize there was a post waiting for you. Rest assured, I know it's here. I like to answer it only when I have my handwritten map on hand, to be sure I don't mess it all up. And as for my absence, I can only apologize and blame finals.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1413
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no problem. I just wanted to make sure it hadn't gotten lost in the shuffle

Hmm, it sounds like the king at the garden party might be Claudius. Go ask him if his name is Claudius. If he won't answer, ask the other people at his table.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 273
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*mutters* Well, thought I posted, but it appears I spazzed out.
Gourami, I completely understand about finals... Congrats on surviving another semester, and glad you're not going to forget this puzzle. My English degree needs a workout :-)


I was thinking the same thing about the crowned man, Noel.

Well, since I'm not sure yet how to kill Claudius, why don't we go check out the room north of Hamlet (west of the garden party), however it is most convenient to get there.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1415
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had another thought. Isn't Claudius Hamlet's uncle or something like that? Could we just skip the whole bit about killing Claudius and ask him to tell Hamlet who Hamlet is? Who knows, maybe Hamlet will kill him for us.

if I'm remembering wrong about him being the uncle, then just ignore everything I said
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 811
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Hmm, it sounds like the king at the garden party might be Claudius. Indeed. Go ask him if his name is Claudius.
You travel east and north, and return to the sunny table where four people are still eating. You approach the seedy man. "Oh, it's you with the jewels." He greets you. "Uh--King Claudius? Oh, yes, I suppose that's me. Um, right. I'm King. You should probably be bowing to me, while you're at it." If he won't answer, ask the other people at his table.

Kalira (Kalira)

Gourami, I completely understand about finals... Congrats on surviving another semester, and glad you're not going to forget this puzzle. My English degree needs a workout :-) Having just attained mine, I'm glad to be of assistence.

Well, since I'm not sure yet how to kill Claudius, why don't we go check out the room north of Hamlet (west of the garden party), however it is most convenient to get there. It seems most convenient to just go west from this room, so you do. You enter the room and...
Seem to step outside.
No, no, you're still in the building, but it's an enormous room, and the walls are painted to look like sunny sky. There is a bit of sand under your feet, then water surrounds you on all sides. There is a boat beached on the tiny beach with you. In the distance you can see a little more land--possibly an island. Weird room.


Noel (Noel)

I had another thought. Isn't Claudius Hamlet's uncle or something like that? Sounds right. Could we just skip the whole bit about killing Claudius and ask him to tell Hamlet who Hamlet is?
You return to the table, and tell Claudius to tell Hamlet who he is. He looks at you like you're a crazy person. "What do you think I'm hiding over here for? If that kid ever gets his head out of the clouds, he's going to come after me!" Who knows, maybe Hamlet will kill him for us.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1419
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything else on the island? Can you see anything in the sea? Are there any people in the island room? Is there anything or anyone in the boat?

congratulations on finishing your degree!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 813
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Is there anything else on the island? There appears to be a shadowy figure over there. Other than that, it's pretty large and hilly: you can't see everything from here. Can you see anything in the sea? An occasional fish swims by, a tuna or something similar. Are there any people in the island room? There's definitely a person of some kind on the island. Is there anything or anyone in the boat? Not a thing.

congratulations on finishing your degree! Thank you!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1047
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, this is such a fun puzzle, I wish I'd seen it earlier!!

Talk to the person on the island. Ask him if he is Robinson Crusoe? Or maybe Pi..
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1048
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something else I'd like to try: go to the room with Houdini in and ask him if he can escape through the locked doors (north, east, or west), and to bring you with him. If successful, describe what you see in whichever room you end up in.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 814
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Wow, this is such a fun puzzle, I wish I'd seen it earlier!! Never too late to join in! If a recap is ever needed, just let me know and I'll make my best attempt.

Talk to the person on the island. him if he is Robinson Crusoe? Or maybe Pi.. You shout as loudly as you can over the water, but it doesn't seem like the person heard you. You'll keep those questions in mind for when you meet them, though...

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Something else I'd like to try: go to the room with Houdini in and ask him if he can escape through the locked doors (north, east, or west), and to bring you with him.
He bows and says, "Although I do not have the power to open these doors, I believe they unlocked on their own some time ago, after an odd sound that sounded like someone blowing into a shell..." If successful, describe what you see in whichever room you end up in.
You check the doorknobs, and indeed, the doors to the east, north and west are now open. If you remember correctly, the eastern one should lead to Odysseus' room. Where to go now?
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1055
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! I thought the conch only unlocked the doors in Piggy's room. My bad!

Go back to the island room. Does the boat have oars? If it does, row over to the island. If not...try using your hands as paddles?
If you manage to reach the island, talk to the man again and ask him if he's Crusoe.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 816
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Oh! I thought the conch only unlocked the doors in Piggy's room. My bad! You didn't make a mistake; no one had figure that out yet. =)

Go back to the island room. Does the boat have oars? If it does, row over to the island. You search the boat thoroughly, and find nothing inside or around it. If not...try using your hands as paddles? You step in the boat to try paddling...and it starts moving of its own accord. At a nice, leisurely pace, it takes you across the water to the island. That was easy.

If you manage to reach the island, talk to the man again and ask him if he's Crusoe.
You see no man: you approach the shadowy figure, but it is undoubtedly a young woman holding something. She says, "I am sorry, but I'm not familiar with this Crusoe person. At the moment, I'm trying to remember the name of this place where we are right now. Do you have any idea?
"Oh, and I'm also very hungry. Are you? If only we had some nice fish..."
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1059
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at what the woman is holding. Ask her what it is too.
"I saw some fish in the sea, do you know how to catch any? Also, although you can't remember the name of this place, can you remember your own name?"

Look around this island and describe what you see.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 820
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Look at what the woman is holding. It's long, brown and pointy. Ask her what it is too. She holds it up. "It's a fine spear, isn't it? Too bad I can't remember what in the world it's used for..."
"I saw some fish in the sea, do you know how to catch any?"
She considers this, then peers at the spear for a moment, seeming to be about to make a revelation. But it escapes her. "Sorry, no."
"Also, although you can't remember the name of this place, can you remember your own name?"
"No, again. Perhaps some food could refresh my memory..."
Look around this island and describe what you see.
It is curved in shape, like a...kidney bean, with a large hill rising in the center. Other than that, there are trees, rocky outcroppings, beaches...all you could ask for from an island. None of it looks especially helpful, though.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1086
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Offer her the bread and butter, or a cucumber sandwich, then ask her her name again. Tell her what a spear is usually used for. Try to spear some fish. Also ask her if she would give you the spear.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1087
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS. Merry Christmas!! =)
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 824
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Offer her the bread and butter, or a cucumber sandwich, then ask her her name again.
She looks at the food but does not take it, then looks at you as if wondering what she had done wrong to be given such food. When you ask, she shrugs and says, "Still no idea, I'm afraid."
Tell her what a spear is usually used for. She listens attentively, then replies, "That's nice."
Try to spear some fish. You try, but without a spear it's very difficult.
Also ask her if she would give you the spear. She reluctantly hands it over, then says, "All right, you can keep it. But I expect you to get me some fish with it, otherwise I'm not helping you out ever again."

PS. Merry Christmas!! =) Merry Merry!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1089
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, I didn't mean to try spearing the fish without the spear... =P
Spear some fish with the spear, and give her the fish. Ask her her name again.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 832
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Haha, I didn't mean to try spearing the fish without the spear... =P I didn't think so. =)

Spear some fish with the spear,
You take your new weapon and go back to the sea. After a few tries, you snag several fish and feel very proud of yourself.
and give her the fish.
However, while walking back to where she stands, you are surrounded by several wild dogs. When you try to go by them, they pull the fish out of your hand and proceed to eat them. Oh no, your fish!
Ask her her name again.
She sees you return fishless and simply folds her arms.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1092
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, we could just try it again, and hopefully the dogs, having eaten the fish, won't be so hungry this time.
If this fails (and I suspect it will), while walking back after spearing the fish, try threatening the dogs with the spear.
If this fails too, I guess we have to find a way to distract them, probably with one of those raw, bloody steaks that are going for $20... Which means we'll have to kill the richest person for Emma first!

Before we start killing people though, maybe we should explore the other rooms? Go back through the door you came from, then go East, North, North, bringing us to Gatsby's room, then West into a brand new room! Describe, please. =)
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 835
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Well, we could just try it again, and hopefully the dogs, having eaten the fish, won't be so hungry this time.
You walk back, catch some more fish with growing dexterity, and begin to walk back along the path. The dogs, not believing their good fortune, steal these from you too.
If this fails (and I suspect it will), while walking back after spearing the fish, try threatening the dogs with the spear.
You do so, and they back off, but you still see them lurking around to grab any fish that might come walking along.
If this fails too, I guess we have to find a way to distract them, A good plan. probably with one of those raw, bloody steaks that are going for $20... Which means we'll have to kill the richest person for Emma first! A lot of hungry people around, aren't there?

Before we start killing people though, maybe we should explore the other rooms? Go back through the door you came from, then go East, North, North, bringing us to Gatsby's room, then West into a brand new room! Describe, please. =)
You enter a pretty large and rather dark room, with streetlights on either side providing light. To the south is a newsstand where a man is eating lunch, and beside it, a boy sits on the floor reading something. A clock hangs on the wall. And in the center are not one, but six blurry figures.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1093
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to everyone present, ask them who they are and what they are doing. Observe their clothes and appearance. Look at what the boy is reading and ask him about it. Look at the clock--what time is it? Is it working or has it stopped?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 840
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Talk to everyone present, ask them who they are and what they are doing.
You start with the six blurry figures, but they give very little help. As in the other rooms, they have forgotten who they are and wish to enlist your help in remembering. The one on the end scratches his head and says, "There was one name, used to describe all of us, and other people too. If we could only remember that name..."
You move on to the newsstand and realize that there aren't any newspapers there. "Well, what do you expect? Look at the time!" He nods at the clock. "I'm eatin' my very late dinner, then I'm going home." He raises to his mouth a huge, kind of smelly sub sandwich and bites in.
Finally you address the kid, but he ignores you and keeps reading.


Observe their clothes and appearance. You can't tell what the six figures are wearing, though it looks pretty colorful. The other two are wearing regular street clothes; jeans, t-shirt, jacket, baseball cap, etc.
Look at what the boy is reading and ask him about it. It's a thin paper book of some kind. You ask about it and he mumbles, "Comic." when you ask him further, he adds, "Really good comic," and turns away to keep reading.
Look at the clock--what time is it? It appears to be 11:51. Is it working or has it stopped? You wait around for a minute, and it's still 11:51.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1104
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the man if he knows who the 6 blurry figures are, and where this place is. Also ask if there is anything you can do for him.

I have a bit of a suspicion I can't shake...head to the room with the tea party, and ask the blurry man if the phrase he is looking for is "The importance of being earnest", and if his name is Ernest?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 844
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Ask the man if he knows who the 6 blurry figures are, and where this place is. He looks at you for a moment. "So you're one a' them crazies, huh? Well, as for where we are, I'm as stumped as you. And those guys? People walk by this stand all'a time. I don't know 'em."
Also ask if there is anything you can do for him. "Yeah, shove off and let me finish my delicious liver-and-garlic sandwich."

I have a bit of a suspicion I can't shake...Good for you. head to the room with the tea party, and ask the blurry man if the phrase he is looking for is "The importance of being earnest", and if his name is Ernest? You return, approach the puzzled man, and ask him. He throws up his suddenly-visible boating hat with glee. "That's it! My name is Ernest! Well, almost, but we'll get that taken care of later. Thank you, thank you, how can I ever thank you?" In his giddy dance, he feel something bumping around in his coat pocket and pulls it out. "Here, take this."
To no one's surprise, it is a purple hardbound book with The Importance of Being Earnest written on the front.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1465
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm losing track of rooms. Are there any more rooms further north (from the room with the group of 6) that we haven't explored? If so, please go north and describe what you see.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 280
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

POST-HOLIDAY RECAP (as of Gourami's most recent post)

This appears to be the state of the puzzle as of today. Any corrections or anything people see I did wrong?

unexplored
blurry man 4 – GIVEN name [Ragtime]
Harry Houdini
Emma Goldman – needs death of richest person
Odysseus - needs spear & shield & animal sacrifice
rocky soil
dark room w/ streetlights
newsstand @ S – man eating liver&garlic sandwich
boy reading comic
blurry figure (group) 9 - need name of group [six figures total]
clock stuck @ 11:51
blurry man 3 – GIVEN name [Great Gatsby] and alcohol for coat
pool in corner – GOT broken white thing from bottom
pile of clothes – GOT coat (for alcohol)
East and West Egg
blurry kid – GIVEN name [Piggy from LOTF]
shell – unlocked doors when played
2 wild pigs
buzzing noise
beachy setting w/ boat
island – shaped like kidney bean w/ hill in middle
shadowy figure - woman - needs island name and food
wild dogs - need distraction [food?] (steal fish if you catch them)
blurry man 2 – GIVEN name [“Ernest” from IOBE]
garden table w/ elegant ppl man 1 – wearing crown [Claudius from Hamlet] man 2 – needs entertainment
blurry man 6 – GIVEN name [TOTC]
Jacques – scribbling on wall w/ red wine (GOT wine)
guillotine
2 murals of cities
blurry figure 7 - needs name (Hamlet but needs to hear from ghost)
blurry figure 8 – King Hamlet’s ghost - needs death of Claudius
blurry man 1 – GIVEN name/what he’s searching for [M-D]
big hulking object – REATTACHED tip - scrimshaw
kiosk – need $2.50 to buy whatever he’s selling
blurry man 5 – needs name (sitting/lying; late riser)
flower pot w/ beautiful very light purple-y flower
yelling man – need $20 to buy steak from him
gold door – exit
boy – needs food & name (GIVEN warmth)
bookcase


What we have:
pocketful of jewels from door, including one large emerald
bread & butter, and cucumber sandwiches (located at garden table)
spear (from girl in island room - she wants fish)
blank book (orange w/ title RAGTIME)
blank book (gray w/ title A TALE OF TWO CITIES)
blank book (w/ title LORD OF THE FLIES)
blank book (w/ title THE GREAT GATSBY)
blank book (w/ title MOBY-DICK)
blank book (purple w/ title THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST)



Phew, that took a while. Okay, moving on.

No clue if I'm actually right, but I have suspicions as well. Go back to the island room and ask the woman on the island if this place is called the Island of the Blue Dolphins.

After that, go back to the room with the blurry group. Ask them if they are called the Outsiders. I have a feeling I'm wrong about this, but it can't hurt to ask.

Also, you said that the doors are all unlocked now, right? If that's the case, could you go check the following doors that don't appear to connect to any of the rooms in the floor diagram to see what is behind them:
North door of Ragtime room?
North door of Odysseus' room?
East door of Lord of the Flies room?
East door of Tale of Two Cities room?
West door of Hamlet room?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 845
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

I'm losing track of rooms. Are there any more rooms further north (from the room with the group of 6) that we haven't explored? There certainly is one more. See the excellent map above. If so, please go north and describe what you see.
You enter a room where a small blurry figure stands in the center. Exits to the north, east and back south. In the right corner near you is a man standing by an enormous pot. In the upper left corner is a respectably dressed woman standing with her back to you.

Kalira (Kalira)

Phew, that took a while. Okay, moving on. Wow, excellent recap. My memory's fallible too, but as far as I know you've got everything there. Thank you again!

Also, I'm going to take this moment to point out a few things. A couple of the activities in this adventure were simply to provide clues to the identity of the characters, and you've figured two of them out without the clues. Therefore, there's some things that you don't need to worry about anymore; I don't want you going on a wild goose chase. Things that won't help you:

~The kiosk that needs $2.50 (He would then give you a cup of coffee labeled "Starbucks," a clue to anyone who's read Moby-Dick).
~The man who needs entertainment (he's just tell you Ernest's name).
~The comic book kid (he would provide entertainment to the previous man)
~The cucumber/butter sandwiches (you would give them to the kid).
~The respectably-dressed woman in the new room.
~The two men in the Hamlet room (gravediggers)


No clue if I'm actually right, but I have suspicions as well. Good ones, too. Go back to the island room and ask the woman on the island if this place is called the Island of the Blue Dolphins.
You return, take the canoe across again and ask her. She smiles. "You're very right, that is the name after all. Thank you so much. I will be happy to hep you with whatever you need, as soon as we get those fish."

After that, go back to the room with the blurry group. Ask them if they are called the Outsiders. I have a feeling I'm wrong about this, but it can't hurt to ask. You go north and pose the question to the group. One in the middle of the group answers. "Don't know who we are. Know that's not us, though." He sounds gruff and dismissive.

Also, you said that the doors are all unlocked now, right? No, although some have been unlocked that weren't before. If that's the case, could you go check the following doors that don't appear to connect to any of the rooms in the floor diagram to see what is behind them:
North door of Ragtime room?
This one has indeed been unlocked. You walk through, and find yourself in a long corridor. It stretches to the east and west, with a door on each side that must lead back into other rooms. The corridor then rounds a corner to the east and west, presumably continuing around the bends. Directly opposite you, two men are leaning against the blank white wall.
North door of Odysseus' room?
East door of Lord of the Flies room?
East door of Tale of Two Cities room?
West door of Hamlet room? All these doors are still locked.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 281
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can't believe I guessed that right... Haven't read Island of the Blue Dolphins in like 15 years :-)

Can you see any distinguishing characteristics of the men in the corridor? or in the corridor itself? Or is the corridor all blank white walls?

Talk to the two men. Ask them if they need anything, if they know where we are, and if they know what this corridor is for.

Go to the east corner and look down it. Can you see anyone or anything of note? If you can't see down the corridor, travel down it to see if there is anyone there. Then go back up, across the north corridor, and do the same for the west corner/corridor.

After that, go back to where the two men are in the corridor, go back south into the Ragtime room, and west into the newest room we explored. Talk to the blurry figure and the man by the pot. Look at the pot - can you see any details?

Also, I know you said she won't help us, but could you still talk to the woman with her back to us?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1472
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira, you are awesome. Thanks for the recap!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 848
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Can't believe I guessed that right... Haven't read Island of the Blue Dolphins in like 15 years :-) Haha, me neither, but it stuck with me.

Can you see any distinguishing characteristics of the men in the corridor? Actually, yes. One's a short redhead with a cap. The other is tall, with dark skin and distinguished features. They both wear very plain clothes.
or in the corridor itself? There's really nothing to see.
Or is the corridor all blank white walls? Just blank walls and the three doors here.

Talk to the two men. They nod seriously. Ask them if they need anything, if they know where we are, and if they know what this corridor is for.
The shorter guy speaks for both of them. "Sure we know who we are. See, we were already crazy, so we didn't get confused like all the sane people wanderin' around here. We don't need you findin' out our names for us or any of that. But if you can help us get out of this hall here, we'll make it worth your while."

Go to the east corner and look down it. Can you see anyone or anything of note? You travel east and south down the corridor. On the way, you pass three doors on the west wall. Across from the middle one is a square piece of machinery built into the floor, almost as tall as you. If you can't see down the corridor, travel down it to see if there is anyone there. You reach the end. No one and nothing else down here. Then go back up, across the north corridor, and do the same for the west corner/corridor. Done. On this side, there are three doors on the eastern wall. Across from the middle one is a window that has bars over it.

After that, go back to where the two men are in the corridor, go back south into the Ragtime room, and west into the newest room we explored. Talk to the blurry figure and the man by the pot. The blurry figure, like the others, looks lost. "Sorry, I'm just not sure where...or who...I am right now. Could you help, by any chance?" You move on to the man by the pot, who looks at you with a grimace. "Yes, what do you want?" Look at the pot - can you see any details? It's filled with a not-very-appetizing white mush.

Also, I know you said she won't help us, but could you still talk to the woman with her back to us? Certainly. The woman wears a floor-length dress with a small jacket. She turns around and curtsies politely. "Hello there. I'm glad to see you look like an honest person. Lots of thieves and pickpockets about." She spins back toward the wall, leaving the pockets of her jacket completely unguarded.

Noel (Noel)

Kalira, you are awesome. Thanks for the recap! I know, right?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1480
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the white mush in the pot appear/smell as if it is meant to be eaten (even if disgusting)? Or is it something useful? Glue or paste, perhaps? Ask the guy by the pot what it is and what it's for.

Go back to the window with bars. Is anything else visible near the window? Such as a lock, a switch, or a latch?

Go back to the square piece of machinery in the other hallway. Can you please describe it in more detail?

Tell me more about the short redhead guy. When you say short, do you mean short but still typical, or do you mean very short (like someone with dwarfism)?

Tell me more about the dark-skinned man. By dark-skinned, do you mean tanned? Black? Another dark-skinned race? Try to ask him a question directly to see if he is able to talk. If the short man insists on answering, then ask him why he speaks for both of them.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1115
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the small figure in our newest room if he is oliver twist. Then, since the 2 men outside the ragtime room know who they are, ask them to tell you all about themselves. Or at least their names.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 287
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something tells me our friends in the corridor are Randle McMurphy and Chief Bromden (from One Flew Over...), though I don't know how that's going to help us just yet.

Can you go back to the room with the blurry group -- can we tell/ask them if they are all male/all female/a mixture? Ask them if they remember why they are a group -- are they friends? coworkers? a fellowship? :-)

The one said the name used to describe them and "other people." Ask him if he remembers if there were only a few others in this group besides the six, or if there were many others. On a long shot, ask them if they are "six characters in search of an author."
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 849
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Does the white mush in the pot appear/smell as if it is meant to be eaten (even if disgusting)? Yes, it appears to be some kind of oat-breakfast-mush. Or is it something useful? Well, food may be useful, even if it is pretty bland. Glue or paste, perhaps? You stick a surreptitious finger in. No, it's not quite sticky enough. Ask the guy by the pot what it is and what it's for. He sniffs and looks down his nose at you. "Not that I need to answer to you, but it's gruel. It's for feeding the lower classes of humanity."

Go back to the window with bars. Is anything else visible near the window? No, it's a blank white hallway. Such as a lock, a switch, or a latch? No, but as you search, some soothing music starts playing from an invisible source.

Go back to the square piece of machinery in the other hallway. Can you please describe it in more detail? It's a big, heavy looking cement block, rectangular and almost four feet tall. On top is a panel with several knobs and switches.

Tell me more about the short redhead guy. When you say short, do you mean short but still typical, or do you mean very short (like someone with dwarfism)? Not that short: perhaps he just seems small beside the other guy. He has a few scars on his face and hands, and is watching you with a very sarcastic grin.

Tell me more about the dark-skinned man. By dark-skinned, do you mean tanned? Black? Another dark-skinned race? This, it seems. Try to ask him a question directly to see if he is able to talk. You ask him if he can talk. He seems not to hear you. After a moment, he looks away and crosses his arms. If the short man insists on answering, then ask him why he speaks for both of them. The redhead shakes his head. "What are you, some kinda idiot? He's deaf and dumb!" He seems to be teasing you, not actually angry.

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Ask the small figure in our newest room if he is oliver twist. His face lights up, and you see that it is indeed a young child. He jumps up and down. "That's it! That's my name! Oh, thank you, thank you ever so much sir. I don't have much to give you, but here, have this. I, uh, found it." He passes over a hardcover brown book with Oliver Twist written on the cover. Then, since the 2 men outside the ragtime room know who they are, ask them to tell you all about themselves. Or at least their names. Unsurprisingly, it's the shorter man who answers. "Listen. I'm McMurphy, and this is good ol' Chief Broom, and we're stuck here. That's all ya need to know."

Kalira (Kalira)

Something tells me our friends in the corridor are Randle McMurphy and Chief Bromden (from One Flew Over...), though I don't know how that's going to help us just yet. Something tells me you're right. Nice one.

Can you go back to the room with the blurry group -- can we tell/ask them if they are all male/all female/a mixture? One, toward the middle, seems to be raising an arm. "I'm female, thank you very much. Don't lump me in with all these...males." Ask them if they remember why they are a group -- are they friends? coworkers? a fellowship? :-) The one on the end who spoke before speaks again. "Um, well, I think we worked together. Haven't you heard of us? I seem to remember being pretty famous."

The one said the name used to describe them and "other people." Ask him if he remembers if there were only a few others in this group besides the six, or if there were many others. "There were a few others, but they weren't quite like us. They were older...oh, it's so frustrating not remembering! I get the feeling that I'm a pretty smart guy, normally." On a long shot, ask them if they are "six characters in search of an author." He chuckles. "No, I don't believe so. Good play, though."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1514
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, as I recall from "One flew over...", McMurphy "escaped" by being smothered by a pillow. Hopefully we don't have to do the same. The Chief, on the other hand, was inspired by McMurphy to "grow bigger" on the inside. No idea how we might accomplish that. However...

Ask the Chief if he can lift the large machine in the hallway. Assuming he pretends not to be able to hear you, ask McMurphy if he can get the Chief to lift it. If that doesn't work, bet McMurphy that it's impossible for a man to lift the machine. See if he will accept one of the small gems in your pocket as your half of the bet.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 863
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Hmm, as I recall from "One flew over...", McMurphy "escaped" by being smothered by a pillow. Hopefully we don't have to do the same. The Chief, on the other hand, was inspired by McMurphy to "grow bigger" on the inside. No idea how we might accomplish that. However...

Ask the Chief if he can lift the large machine in the hallway. He pretends not to be able to hear you. Assuming he pretends not to be able to hear you, Yep. ask McMurphy if he can get the Chief to lift it. He laughs. "Hey, you're the big hero, coming in here to help all us poor literary characters. Why don't you do it?" If that doesn't work, bet McMurphy that it's impossible for a man to lift the machine. See if he will accept one of the small gems in your pocket as your half of the bet. The fact that a bet is being placed sparks something in his eyes. He walks around the corner with purpose. After a moment, you and the Chief hear some rather pitiful grunting and straining noises. Eventually, McMurphy walks back around the corner, red-faced. "No bet."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1527
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a closer look at the controls on top of the machine. Describe them.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 865
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Take a closer look at the controls on top of the machine. Describe them. There are a couple of knobs, a dial, a lever, and a hose nozzle. You guess they are used to control the flow of water in some way.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1535
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you turn on the water? If so, can you do it slightly (to see what happens) and then turn it back off again? If so, do it. If you think it would be advisable, would you turn the water on full force?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 871
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Can you turn on the water? You try all the controls, nothing seems to happen. If so, can you do it slightly (to see what happens) and then turn it back off again? If so, do it. If you think it would be advisable, would you turn the water on full force? Continued, increasingly frustrated turning of the dials does nothing. The control panel appears to be useless.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1663
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, mind if I jump in?

These are all out of order but

Go to the room with the wild pigs. Can you herd or drive one of them to Odysseus for his sacrifice.

Both Emma and Claudius need to have someone killed -- and the man with the crown will satisfy both of them. And we have the guillotine... how to get him there?

Go to the group of six: are any of them particularly short, compared to the others? two or three of them, perhaps? If so, ask if they are the Fellowship of the Ring.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 879
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab (Rabrab)

Hi, mind if I jump in? I'd be delighted.

These are all out of order but

Go to the room with the wild pigs. Sure. Can you herd or drive one of them to Odysseus for his sacrifice. Good thought...you approach the two wild pigs. You try commanding them, shouting at them, scaring them, and finally pushing them. They seem to not notice you. You might need another strategy.

Both Emma and Claudius need to have someone killed -- and the man with the crown will satisfy both of them. And we have the guillotine... how to get him there? You're on strategic fire today!

Go to the group of six: are any of them particularly short, compared to the others? One seems a bit shorter, but they're all pretty tall. two or three of them, perhaps? If so, ask if they are the Fellowship of the Ring. You ask. Most of them laugh dismissively; the one on the end says, "I loved that book! So mythical and cool. But no, we're not them."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1542
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Approach King Hamlet's ghost. Tell him you think you know how to kill Claudius, but that you need to move him from one room to another. See if he'd be willing to help frighten Claudius to move from where he is to where he needs to go. If so, get him to scare Claudius and direct him towards the room with the guillotine.

If that doesn't work, go back to Claudius and ask if he needs anything or is looking for anything.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1664
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the one who didn't laugh of the six if they're the X-men.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1131
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember we have a spear... if Noel's idea doesn't work, can we simply stab Claudius?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 881
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Approach King Hamlet's ghost. Tell him you think you know how to kill Claudius, but that you need to move him from one room to another. The ghost gives an ethereal nod of approval. "Good to see you're taking some initiative." See if he'd be willing to help frighten Claudius to move from where he is to where he needs to go. If so, get him to scare Claudius and direct him towards the room with the guillotine. "Ahem. I am not that kind of ghost," he sniffs.

If that doesn't work, go back to Claudius and ask if he needs anything or is looking for anything. When you approach him, he jumps and is about to hide under the table before he realizes it's just you. "Oh, it's just you," he says. "Do I need anything? Hm, depends. What do you have for me?"

Rabrab (Rabrab)

Ask the one who didn't laugh of the six if they're the X-men. He has to think a long time about that one. "No, no I don't think we are, but that seems really close. I'm not familiar with these 'X-men,' though. Are they still working?"

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

I remember we have a spear... if Noel's idea doesn't work, can we simply stab Claudius? You pull the spear out from behind your back, and Claudius immediately runs behind one of the women. He seems too on-guard at the moment.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1543
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask Claudius if he's interested in some jewels for his crown.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 882
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Ask Claudius if he's interested in some jewels for his crown. He suddenly comes back. "Did you say jewels? Yes, absolutely yes, what can I do to get...I mean..." entirely too late, he tries to act casual. "Uh, I might be interested..."

Again, you guys and gals who have stayed with my convoluted little adventure are making some awesome lateral leaps.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1132
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him you'll take him to the jewels, then lead him to the guillotine room.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 889
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Tell him you'll take him to the jewels, then lead him to the guillotine room. He eagerly and greedily follows.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1665
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still with the six blurries for me: "Are you The Watchmen?"

And just for information sake -- is the purple flower an orchid of some type?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 891
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab (Rabrab)

Still with the six blurries for me: "Are you The Watchmen?"
You tell Claudius to wait there while you fetch the jewels, and return to the six person room. You ask your question, and the blurries suddenly appear enlightened. You see there's a big blue guy, a chick in spandex, a huge guy in patriotic armor, a man in a trenchcoat with a creepy face, a man in gold and purple, and the guy who's been talking with you, who's dressed like a bird. "Thank you very much!" he says, and hands you a bright yellow book with Watchmen written across it.

And just for information sake -- is the purple flower an orchid of some type? You seek out the flower room again. It's occupant still seems to be sleeping. You look again--no, not an orchid. It's a big spherical cluster of purple flowers.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 292
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I would ever have gotten the Watchmen... I kept thinking the group was a bunch of children/teens. Nice one, Rabrab! Randomly, was the clock in here a reference to the Doomsday Clock?

I had an inkling a while ago, then it went away. Now it's back. Is the flower some one of the Allium species? Could it be related to garlic? or be garlic itself? Would you ask the blurry man in this room if he is Count Dracula. If no, ask if he is Harker, Van Helsing, or Renfield. If yes, I don't suggest hanging around too long :-)

Go back to the room with the guillotine. Is Claudius still there? Does there appear to be a way to get him in the guillotine without help and without him running away? If not, don't do anything yet.

If there is, I suppose we have no real alternative -- use the guillotine on him. Go talk to Emma in the Ragtime room and bring her whatever proof she requires that the richest person has been killed (the crown? his head?). If she gives you the $20 dollars, go back to the flower room and exchange the money for steak. Then go to the island room, go fishing as you did before. Once you catch some fish, head back toward the woman on the island. When the dogs come near, throw the steak to them, continue toward her, and give her the fish.

Also, take the crown and Claudius's head to the ghost in the Hamlet room and tell him Claudius is dead. Ask him if he will tell Hamlet his name now. Sit back and enjoy whatever monologue Hamlet throws out.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 893
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

I don't think I would ever have gotten the Watchmen... I kept thinking the group was a bunch of children/teens. Nice one, Rabrab! Randomly, was the clock in here a reference to the Doomsday Clock? It was, and still is.

I had an inkling a while ago, then it went away. Now it's back. Well good. Is the flower some one of the Allium species? Could it be related to garlic? It could be. or be garlic itself? It is! Would you ask the blurry man in this room if he is Count Dracula. You go over to him; he still seems to ba asleep. You ask him: no response. You clear your throat, gently nudge him, non-gently nudge him...he's out cold. If no, ask if he is Harker, Van Helsing, or Renfield. He answers none of your inquiries. However, from what you can make out, he does look pretty pale and fang-y... If yes, I don't suggest hanging around too long :-) Indeed.

Go back to the room with the guillotine. Ok. Is Claudius still there? Yes, he's rubbing his hands together in cartoonish anticipation of the promised jewels. Does there appear to be a way to get him in the guillotine without help and without him running away? Possibly...he doesn't seem very bright. But how? If not, don't do anything yet. Done.

If there is, I suppose we have no real alternative -- use the guillotine on him. You haven't been able to work out the killing method yet...and the site of execution seems a little empty. Perhaps an audience?
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1552
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect the vampire will stay asleep until night time. Is there a light source in the room? Does it look as if it could be blocked somehow? Or, is there a clock? Can the time be changed on it?

Invite Emma and King Hamlet to the execution? Invite the bored guy from the garden party?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 293
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, go talk to Emma and tell her you have found the richest man and plan to execute him. See if she will come with you to the guillotine room.

Go to the Hamlet room and ask the ghost if his brother would be able to see/recognize him if they were in the same room. If the answer is no, ask him to come with you to the guillotine room as well. You should ask Hamlet if he wants to witness the death as well. He may not remember who he is, but he might remember how mad he is at his uncle.

Back in the guillotine room, look at the guillotine closely. Does it appear to look as a guillotine ought? Is there something to hit/pull/otherwise manipulate in order to release the blade? Do we think we need an executioner as well as an audience?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 294
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE: the time. I have noticed that whenever the time is discussed, it is stuck at 11:51. There must be some way for us to change this in order to deal with our friend in the flower room.

Can we change the time on the clock in the room with the Watchmen? If so, set it to 12:00 and go back to the flower room. If the vampire is up, ask him if his name is Count Dracula.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 896
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

I suspect the vampire will stay asleep until night time. Sounds reasonable. Is there a light source in the room? No, it's pretty dark, actually. Does it look as if it could be blocked somehow? Or, is there a clock? Not here, but there was one somewhere... Can the time be changed on it?

Invite Emma and King Hamlet to the execution? Invite the bored guy from the garden party? Will do, see below.

Kalira (Kalira)

All right, go talk to Emma and tell her you have found the richest man and plan to execute him. See if she will come with you to the guillotine room. You do. She follows you, bubbling with contained excitement. As you go south through the next few rooms, you also invite Algernon from the tea party. He shrugs and comes along.

Go to the Hamlet room and ask the ghost if his brother would be able to see/recognize him if they were in the same room. He bows. "I shall hide myself to the best of my abilities."
If the answer is no, ask him to come with you to the guillotine room as well. He joins your entourage, floating behind you.
You should ask Hamlet if he wants to witness the death as well. He may not remember who he is, but he might remember how mad he is at his uncle. He seems lost in thought and doesn't listen to you. King Hamlet's ghost assures you that as soon as Claudius is out of the way, he will tell his son to cooperate with you.

Back in the guillotine room, look at the guillotine closely. Does it appear to look as a guillotine ought? In your limited experience with guillotines, this seems to be the general way they are built.
Is there something to hit/pull/otherwise manipulate in order to release the blade? The blade seems to be held up by a wooden block, which is attached to a rope that hangs down the side.
Do we think we need an executioner as well as an audience? You would be willing to bet you could pull it yourself.

Kalira (Kalira)

Can we change the time on the clock in the room with the Watchmen? You return to the room and, standing on tip-toes, you are jut able to reach the hands of the clock.
If so, set it to 12:00 You move the minute hand forward nine minutes, and feel a sort of dizzy rushing feeling. You also hear a thumping noise right behind you.
and go back to the flower room. Done.
If the vampire is up, ask him if his name is Count Dracula. You enter the room and he is indeed standing up. After walking up and asking him, you get a big, sharp grin. "Yes!" He shouts and then rushes after you, his fangs bared and his cape billowing out behind him. You are just able to get out the door before he grabs you. He does not follow you into the next room.
Luckily, Emma, Algy and Hamlet's ghost made it out too.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1555
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we back in the guillotine room? If not, go there (by way of the door from the garden room) and make sure your entourage follows you. Um...ask Claudius if he'll lay down on the guillotine?? (hardly seems likely). Or, quietly ask the audience members to help you grab him and push him into the guillotine?
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1134
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or...tell Claudius that the jewels are hidden somewhere beneath the guillotine, and that he has to bend over and reach for them, thus placing his head under the blade?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 901
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Are we back in the guillotine room? Yes. If not, go there (by way of the door from the garden room) and make sure your entourage follows you. Um...ask Claudius if he'll lay down on the guillotine?? (hardly seems likely). "Ah, a sort of demonstration? Certainly I'll--" slow realization begins to dawn on his face. "Hey, wait a minute..." Or, quietly ask the audience members to help you grab him and push him into the guillotine? You all try, but he appears to have caught on and runs around the other side of the device. He's pretty spry, for a usurper.

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Or...tell Claudius that the jewels are hidden somewhere beneath the guillotine, and that he has to bend over and reach for them, thus placing his head under the blade? You appeal to his greed. Good move. He leans over eagerly to look for them, placing his neck right into the appropriate holder. "Where, did you say?"
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 298
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right. Taking advantage of my fellow puzzlers' intelligence and cunning, I'll take up where we left off before.

Use the guillotine to kill Claudius.

Talk to Emma. If she gives you the $20 dollars, go back to the flower room and exchange the money for steak (and keep on your toes... there's a non-sparkly vampire about). (If this would not be a good idea because of our Transylvanian friend, go back to the Watchmen room, move the clock back several minutes, then go exchange the money for the steak. If you can't move the time backward, try moving it forward to a point just after what would be dawn. Lather, rinse, repeat.) Then go to the island room, go fishing as you did before. Once you catch some fish, head back toward the woman on the island. When the dogs come near, throw the steak to them, continue toward her, and give her the fish.

Talk to the ghost. Ask him if he will tell Hamlet his name now. Take the ghost back to the Hamlet room and talk to Hamlet. Sit back and enjoy whatever monologue he throws out.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 299
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap the nth (kalira's only way of keeping all this straight)
(apologies for size of table -- can't make the font smaller unless I physically do each line in each box of the table)

window w/ bars
disembodied soothing music
white hallway
Randle McMurphy and Chief Bromden [One Flew Over…] -- want out of hallway
blurry kid 2 – GIVEN name [Oliver Twist]
man w/ pot of gruel
respectable woman
blurry man 4 – GIVEN name [Ragtime]
Harry Houdini
Emma Goldman – needs death of richest person
Odysseus - needs spear & shield & animal sacrifice
rocky soil
dark room w/ streetlights
newsstand @ S – man eating liver&garlic sandwich
boy reading comic
blurry figure (group) 9 - GIVEN name of group [Watchmen]
clock stuck @ 11:51 reset to 12:00
blurry man 3 – GIVEN name [Great Gatsby] and alcohol for coat
pool in corner – GOT broken white thing from bottom
pile of clothes – GOT coat (for alcohol)
East and West Egg
blurry kid – GIVEN name [Piggy from LOTF]
shell – unlocked doors when played
2 wild pigs
buzzing noise
beachy setting w/ boat
Island of the Blue Dolphins
shadowy figure - woman - needs food (GIVEN island name [IOBD])
wild dogs - need distraction [food?] (steal fish if you catch them)
blurry man 2 – GIVEN name [“Ernest” from IOBE]
garden table w/ elegant ppl man 1 – wearing crown [Claudius from Hamlet] man 2 – needs entertainment
blurry man 6 – GIVEN name [TOTC]
Jacques – scribbling on wall w/ red wine (GOT wine)
guillotine
2 murals of cities
blurry figure 7 - needs name (Hamlet - needs to hear from ghost)
blurry figure 8 – King Hamlet’s ghost - needs death of Claudius
gravediggers
blurry man 1 – GIVEN name/what he’s searching for [M-D]
big hulking object – REATTACHED tip - scrimshaw
kiosk – need $2.50 to buy whatever he’s selling
blurry man 5 – needs name (Dracula – need to figure out how to get what we need from him without getting killed)
flower pot w/ light purple-y flower garlic
yelling man – need $20 to buy steak from him
gold door – exit
boy – needs food & name (GIVEN warmth)
bookcase
big machine (w/ control panel) – controls water flow somehow


In your inventory:
pocketful of jewels from door, including one large emerald
spear (from girl in island room - she wants fish)
blank book (orange w/ title RAGTIME)
blank book (gray w/ title A TALE OF TWO CITIES)
blank book (w/ title LORD OF THE FLIES)
blank book (w/ title THE GREAT GATSBY)
blank book (w/ title MOBY-DICK)
blank book (w/ title THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST)
blank book (brown w/ title OLIVER TWIST)
blank book (bright yellow w/ title WATCHMEN)

In your party:
King Hamlet's ghost
Emma Goldman
Algy

In the guillotine:
Claudius

</recap>

Just because I think we may need to know at some point near the end, look at the books LOTF, Gatsby, Moby-Dick, and ...Earnest. What colors are they?
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1667
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you've done all thee stuff with Claudius, and taken care of Emma, Hamlet's Father's ghost,and Hamlet, go back to the room with Oliver Twist and ask the man with the pot for some of the gruel.

If he won't give you any, ask what he wants for some of it.

If he does give you some, take it to the Lord Of The Flies room and see if you can use it to entice one of the pigs to follow you to Odysseus.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1668
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, we still need to find the shield for Odysseus. Go through each room in turn and ask the inhabitants if they have, or have seen a shield or something that may be a shield.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1669
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and go back to the hallway with the golden door and put the books we've already gotten on the bookshelf. Don't worry about what order just yet.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1670
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While you're there, move the bookcase away from the wall and check behind it. Is there anything there? How many shelves does it have?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 905
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Use the guillotine to kill Claudius. Done! The head rolls, the crowd cheers. Well, except Algernon, who just looks a little confused.

Talk to Emma. "Well, my dear," she says, "You've done it. By that crown on his head, I can tell that he is certainly the richest person here. What did I promise you? Twenty, are you sure? All right, here you go."
If she gives you the $20 dollars, go back to the flower room and exchange the money for steak (and keep on your toes... there's a non-sparkly vampire about). You do so, being sure to stay at the edge of the room and far away from Count Dracula. I mean, he's so...unsparkly!
(If this would not be a good idea because of our Transylvanian friend, go back to the Watchmen room, move the clock back several minutes, then go exchange the money for the steak. If you can't move the time backward, try moving it forward to a point just after what would be dawn. Lather, rinse, repeat.) not necessary it seems: you can enter Dracula's room safely, as long as you don't approach him.
Then go to the island room, go fishing as you did before. Once you catch some fish, head back toward the woman on the island. When the dogs come near, throw the steak to them, You act thus far, but, when you're about to throw the steak, some instinct tells you that you may be able to put it to better use. You keep the steak and give the dogs the fish. continue toward her, and give her the fish.

Talk to the ghost. Ask him if he will tell Hamlet his name now. He nods. "I suppose it is only fair. My thanks to you, for doing what my son was too uncertain to.
Take the ghost back to the Hamlet room and talk to Hamlet. You return to the tragic room of Hamlet, and the ghost tells him that he is, indeed, who you said he was.
Sit back and enjoy whatever monologue he throws out. Hamlet the younger strokes his lack of a beard. "So you, my ghostly father, say that I am Hamlet. And I, in calling you, Hamlet, my father, confirm that I am he. And yet, if name and ghost come but from my head, who is to say whether anything is real--"
You clear your throat.
"Oh, yes, sorry. Here, take this with my thanks." He hands you a red book with Hamlet, Prince of Denmark written on it.


As always, thanks for the recap! All is correct, except of course what follows.

Just because I think we may need to know at some point near the end, look at the books LOTF, Gatsby, Moby-Dick, and ...Earnest. What colors are they? I'll let you know now that the colors are just for my decorative sensibilities. But Lord is pink, Great Gatsby is green, Moby-Dick is white, and Earnest is purple.

Rabrab (Rabrab)

Once you've done all thee stuff with Claudius, and taken care of Emma, Hamlet's Father's ghost,and Hamlet, go back to the room with Oliver Twist and ask the man with the pot for some of the gruel. "Gruel? GRUEL?!" He shrugs. "Very well then, you may have a bowl." He produces a small bowl from behind his back and ladles out some of the mush for you.

If he does give you some, take it to the Lord Of The Flies room and see if you can use it to entice one of the pigs to follow you to Odysseus.
You return to the Lord room and approach the two wild pigs. By waving the warm gruel right under one of their noses, you get it to follow you. You walk it into the next room, right up to Odysseus.
"My livestock!" He booms happily. Then he takes a closer look. "Well, someone's livestock at least. Thank you! Now I only need a spear and a shield."


Also, we still need to find the shield for Odysseus. Go through each room in turn and ask the inhabitants if they have, or have seen a shield or something that may be a shield. That's a lot of asking, and you're already worn out from all the pig-luring. Can you be more specific?

Oh, and go back to the hallway with the golden door and put the books we've already gotten on the bookshelf. Don't worry about what order just yet. You return to the beginning room and place the ten books on the shelf. The little boy watches you closely.

While you're there, move the bookcase away from the wall and check behind it. Is there anything there? No, just a plain white shelf with a plain white wall behind it. How many shelves does it have? Three equally-spaced ones.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1671
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While we're at the bookshelf, arrange the books thusly:

On the top of the bookshelf, from left to right: Oliver Twist, Ragtime

On the top shelf, from left to right: The Watchmen, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies

On the second shelf, from left to right: Island of the Blue Dolphins, The Importance of Being Earnest, Tale Of Two Cities

On the third shelf, from left to right: Hamlet, Moby Dick.


We still need "Dracula" (he probably needs blood -- possible sources:Claudius' body, the other pig, or the "bloody rare steak"), and the book from Odysseus -- either "The Iliad" or "The Odyssey" (he needs his spear and shield.)

The girl on the island has the spear, but to get it, we need something to feed the dogs; possibilities: same as for the blood for Dracula.

We still need to figure out:

what the machine is for,

what the significance of the barred window and soothing music is, and

how to get McMurphy and Chief Bromden out of the upper hallway.


The Boy With The Key needs food.


We don't know where the shield is.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 909
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You arrange the books, and ponder.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1138
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try offering the steak to the boy? Unlikely that he would eat raw, bloody steak, but it's worth a try, since it's not for the dogs...
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1139
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(The little boy with the key, i mean)
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 910
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Try offering the steak to the boy? Unlikely that he would eat raw, bloody steak, but it's worth a try, since it's not for the dogs...
(The little boy with the key, i mean)
You pull out the steak and toss it to him. He grabs it out of the air and bites down greedily, eating very much like a wild animal. Once the hunk of meat has disappeared, he grins. "Thanks, that was yummy! Now, I just need to know my name, and you can have this shiny thingy."
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1140
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. Ask him if he is Mowgli!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 912
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Wow. Ask him if he is Mowgli!
He looks at you blankly as you talk. "You're a nice person," he says, "If only I could understand what you were trying to say. You're speaking gibberish!"
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 303
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sparkly vampires... oi. ::facepalm::

Anywho... ::starts humming "Bear Necessities"::

I'm not sure we need to figure out the purpose of the machine in the hallway... I think we just need to figure out how to get Chief Bromden to pick it up so that he and McMurphy can use it to break through the window and escape. As to that, though, I'm not sure how to manage it as yet.


Don't recall any of them having a shield, but could you go ask the Watchmen if any of them have one you could borrow? And if they want something in exchange, ask what it is.

While we're here, since we changed the time, has the man with the sandwich left this room? If he's still here, see if he has anything new to say.

If none of the Watchmen have a shield, go ask Hamlet and the ghost if they have one or know where one is.

Go back to the LOTF room. Try to lure the other pig to the Dracula room using the bowl of gruel. If it comes with you, send it if Dracula's direction. Wait until Dracula finishes drinking its blood, then take the body and bring it to the island room. Give it to the dogs, and while they are distracted eating it, catch some fish and bring them to the woman.

Alternatively, if it won't go with you to Dracula's room, try to lead it to the island room. If it comes with you, lead it in the direction of the dogs. Hopefully they will start chasing it or catch and eat it. If they do, use that distraction time to catch some more fish and bring them to the woman.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1142
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Dracula refuses the pig, give him the dead body of Claudius.
Rabrab (Rabrab)
New member
Username: Rabrab

Post Number: 1672
Registered: 2-2005
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any barrier between McMurphy an the machine? I assume not, since he tried to lift it.

If there is not, is there any reason the he and the Chief can't simply walk around it to the area with the small, no-longer-cold, no-longer-hungry boy? Then when we finally get the golden door open, they can simply walk out with us?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 924
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Sparkly vampires... oi. ::facepalm::

Anywho... ::starts humming "Bear Necessities":: Same here!


I'm not sure we need to figure out the purpose of the machine in the hallway... I think we just need to figure out how to get Chief Bromden to pick it up so that he and McMurphy can use it to break through the window and escape. As to that, though, I'm not sure how to manage it as yet.

Don't recall any of them having a shield, but could you go ask the Watchmen if any of them have one you could borrow? You approach the Watchman and, indeed, the man in the star-spangled leather get-up has a shield. A rather Captain America-ish one. You ask him for it, and he snorts at you and turns away. Your friend the owl man rolls his eyes, grabs the shield from the American hero and gives it to you. And if they want something in exchange, ask what it is. Owl man smiles and gives you a thumbs-up, "Nah, just keep it as a memento. Prove to your friends that you met us!"

While we're here, since we changed the time, has the man with the sandwich left this room? You turn around to find him slumped over his newsstand desk, sandwich still in hand, apparently asleep. If he's still here, see if he has anything new to say. You ask him. He doesn't move. You poke, prod, and shout in his ear. Oh. He's not asleep.

If none of the Watchmen have a shield, go ask Hamlet and the ghost if they have one or know where one is.

Go back to the LOTF room. Try to lure the other pig to the Dracula room using the bowl of gruel. You pull out the now-cold-and-sticky bowl of gruel, and wave it under the pig's nose. The pig isn't interested. If it comes with you, send it if Dracula's direction. Wait until Dracula finishes drinking its blood, then take the body and bring it to the island room. Give it to the dogs, and while they are distracted eating it, catch some fish and bring them to the woman. Sounds like a good plan otherwise.

Alternatively, if it won't go with you to Dracula's room, try to lead it to the island room. It's not going anywhere with you right now. If it comes with you, lead it in the direction of the dogs. Hopefully they will start chasing it or catch and eat it. If they do, use that distraction time to catch some more fish and bring them to the woman.

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Is there any barrier between McMurphy an the machine? I assume not, since he tried to lift it. No, other than the machine and some doors and windows, it's a blank hallway.

If there is not, is there any reason the he and the Chief can't simply walk around it to the area with the small, no-longer-cold, no-longer-hungry boy? You walk past the machine, down the hall, turn another corner, and arrive at a blank wall. What's more, McMurphy and the Chief, aren't following you, but are lounging back at the Ragtime door. Then when we finally get the golden door open, they can simply walk out with us?
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 304
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You skipped jack's suggestion about the body... or was that on purpose 'cause we were on the right track with the pig?

Go back to the room with the man with the gruel pot. Hold out your bowl, and in your best impression of Oliver Twist, say, "Please sir, I want some more." If you think it may help your case, get rid of the remaining gruel first. You could try giving it to the dogs... they seem hungry enough :-)
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 928
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

You skipped jack's suggestion about the body... or was that on purpose 'cause we were on the right track with the pig? Mostly because that was a back-up plan if Dracula refused the pig, and Dracula hasn't gotten the pig yet.

Go back to the room with the man with the gruel pot. Hold out your bowl, and in your best impression of Oliver Twist, say, "Please sir, I want some more." He glares at you. "More? MORE? You want MORE?! Well, all right, I do have a whole cauldron of it." He ladles you our some fresh hot gruel.If you think it may help your case, get rid of the remaining gruel first. You could try giving it to the dogs... they seem hungry enough :-) He's given you a new bowl anyway, but you drop by the island on your way and leave the old gruel out for the dogs. They don't seem eager to take it.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 305
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try this again with our new bowl of gruel.

Go back to the LOTF room. Try to lure the other pig to the Dracula room using the bowl of gruel. If it comes with you, send it if Dracula's direction. Wait until Dracula finishes drinking its blood, then take the body and bring it to the island room. Give it to the dogs, and while they are distracted eating it, catch some fish and bring them to the woman.

Alternatively, if it won't go with you to Dracula's room, try to lead it to the island room. If it comes with you, lead it in the direction of the dogs. Hopefully they will start chasing it or catch and eat it. If they do, use that distraction time to catch some more fish and bring them to the woman.

If Dracula doesn't want the pig, offer him Claudius' body.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 932
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Let's try this again with our new bowl of gruel.

Go back to the LOTF room. Try to lure the other pig to the Dracula room using the bowl of gruel. It sniffs a couple of times, then begins following you. If it comes with you, send it if Dracula's direction. Wait until Dracula finishes drinking its blood, then take the body and bring it to the island room. You lead it to Dracula's room and slam the door behind it. After a minute, you open it again. Dracula is watching the pig, confused and amused. You decide he probably doesn't want it. Give it to the dogs, and while they are distracted eating it, catch some fish and bring them to the woman.

Alternatively, if it won't go with you to Dracula's room, try to lead it to the island room. Let's pick up your instructions from here, since Dracula just ain't eating that pig. If it comes with you, lead it in the direction of the dogs.
You continue leading the pig into the room, onto the boat, across the water, and to the dogs. Hopefully they will start chasing it or catch and eat it.
They do take off after the pig!
If they do, use that distraction time to catch some more fish and bring them to the woman.
You dash to the water, spear some fish, wishing there were someone around to see your mad spearing skills, and then race uphill back to the woman, who accepts your fish. "Why thank you!" She beams. "I got some lunch while you were gone, but these will be perfect to feed my pet doggie with!"
As a token of thanks, she hands you a dark blue book with Island of the Blue Dolphins written on the cover.


If Dracula doesn't want the pig, offer him Claudius' body. You return to the guillotine, and undertake the unpleasant task of hefting a headless body to the next room south. You heave it in and watch. This time, Dracula jumps on the body, but seems put off by the fact that it's already dead. This strategy might not be working.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 307
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

meh... wasn't sure if he'd want the body since it was pretty drained of blood after being decapitated, but worth a shot.

Since we seem to be done with the spear, take it and the shield we got from the Watchmen to Odysseus, and give them to him.

Go to the Watchmen room. You said that the sandwich guy is not responsive, but also not asleep? Can we move him or otherwise get him to move? If we can, get him to the Dracula room. Maybe his garlic breath will be able to help us somehow.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 933
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

meh... wasn't sure if he'd want the body since it was pretty drained of blood after being decapitated, but worth a shot. Apparently Anne Rice was right. ;)

Since we seem to be done with the spear, take it and the shield we got from the Watchmen to Odysseus, and give them to him.
You bring the two items to Odysseus, who laughs in a violent way. "My supplies! Now I can start my voyage!" He starts walking away, then stops. "Hm, wonder if I should slaughter this pig for the gods before I go...nah, it'll make for good eating on the trip. Well, I'm off."
You sigh and scuff your foot on the ground.
Odysseus looks over his shoulder. "Hey, kid."
"Yeah?" You say.
"Catch." He tosses you something. It hits you in the face, but then you grab it. It's a golden book that says The Odyssey on the cover.
"Gee, thanks!" You yell.


Go to the Watchmen room. You said that the sandwich guy is not responsive, but also not asleep? Can we move him or otherwise get him to move? You try flopping him around a variety of ways, spilling his sandwich all over the floor, then finally try to get a pulse. He isn't going anywhere quick. If we can, get him to the Dracula room. He weighs a little more than you can carry. Maybe his garlic breath will be able to help us somehow. But that's certainly a thought.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1143
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since we can't move him to Dracula, maybe we can get Dracula to come to him. Hmm. Eat the guy's sandwich to give yourself garlic breath, then go to Dracula's room. Invite him over to the Watchmen room, taking care to breathe hard in his face as you do so, overwhelming him with the smell! When he comes, tell him he's free to drink the blood of the sandwich man.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 314
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... will come back to Dracula later...

Go to the hallway with McMurphy and Bromden. Go up to the Chief and recite the "Cuckoo's Nest" nursery rhyme his grandmother told him. See if it has any effect.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 934
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Since we can't move him to Dracula, maybe we can get Dracula to come to him. Hmm. Eat the guy's sandwich to give yourself garlic breath, then go to Dracula's room. You can't bring yourself to eat it yourself: it's kinda gross. But the smell is plenty strong when you just hold it. Invite him over to the Watchmen room, taking care to breathe hard in his face as you do so, overwhelming him with the smell!
You return to Dracula and approach him cautiously, brandishing the sandwich. He comes up to attack you, but hesitates. It's working, the smell is stopping him...but then he overcomes it and starts after you again. You run and just make it out of the room in time. The sandwich wasn't enough!
When he comes, tell him he's free to drink the blood of the sandwich man. You almost thought you'd have a chance to talk to him for a minute, but then he attacked again.

Kalira (Kalira)

... will come back to Dracula later...You're happy to take a break.

Go to the hallway with McMurphy and Bromden. Go up to the Chief and recite the "Cuckoo's Nest" nursery rhyme his grandmother told him. See if it has any effect. He doesn't seem to hear you.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1150
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there's a pot of garlic in the Dracula room? Use that to ward him off instead, then try once more to get him to drink the blood of the sandwich man.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1581
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that doesn't work, can you pick up the sandwich man and carry him to the Dracula room? If you can't, can you round up some helpers to help you?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 942
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

I think there's a pot of garlic in the Dracula room? Use that to ward him off instead, then try once more to get him to drink the blood of the sandwich man.

Noel (Noel)

If that doesn't work, can you pick up the sandwich man and carry him to the Dracula room? If you can't, can you round up some helpers to help you?

Let me put all those together, if I may.

You cautiously enter the Dracula room, and grab the potted garlic. With that, and still holding the sandwich, you approach the vampire.
He retreats--it seems that you now smell strong enough to ward him off. "All right!" He cries. "Take this! Take all you vant, just get out!" He hurls a book at you that says Dracula on the cover.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 319
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, ostensibly all we have left to do is free the cuckoos from the nest and give the boy in the first room his name.

Go west then south to the room with the golden door. Looking at the shelves again, how many books does each shelf look like it will fit/hold?

Go north until you reach the hallway with McMurphy and the Chief again. (I'm going to admit here that I never read this book, so I'm not an expert on the plot other than what I've read online. I'm not exactly sure how to go about this.) Tell McMurphy that the only way you know that the Chief will pick up the control panel and get out is if he (McMurphy) is dead. See if this has any effect on him. If it doesn't, try betting McMurphy that the Chief can't pick up the control panel by himself.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 992
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

So, ostensibly all we have left to do is free the cuckoos from the nest and give the boy in the first room his name.
That appears to be the whole of it.

Go west then south to the room with the golden door. Looking at the shelves again, how many books does each shelf look like it will fit/hold? They are long shelves and will hold plenty of books; definitely six, seven, even thirteen.

Go north until you reach the hallway with McMurphy and the Chief again. (I'm going to admit here that I never read this book, so I'm not an expert on the plot other than what I've read online. I'm not exactly sure how to go about this.) Try the most direct route.
Tell McMurphy that the only way you know that the Chief will pick up the control panel and get out is if he (McMurphy) is dead. See if this has any effect on him.
He considers this. "Well, frankly, I'd rather be stuck for a little while longer than dead, so you can put that idea out of your mind."
If it doesn't, try betting McMurphy that the Chief can't pick up the control panel by himself.
He looks the Chief up and down. "Yeah, I tend to agree with you."
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1611
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering if we need to get the Chief to lift the big machine at all? Perhaps once we get the key, the cuckoos can just follow us out? But then, if that's true, why is the machine even there at all? Hmm.

Also, I'm intrigued that the boy in the first room isn't blurry, even though he has forgotten his name. My guess is that he won't give us a book (since he has a key instead), so we most likely have every book we need.


Please place any remaining books that you have on the bookshelf. Arrange them as described by someone else above (arranged in the layout of the rooms they came from). Does anything happen? Does the boy do anything? Do any books appear to be missing from the shelf?

If nothing happens with that arrangement, repeat the above as you rearrange the books in alphabetical order by title. Then by alphabetical order by author. Then by color (order of the rainbow). Then by date of publication. Do any of these arrangements get a result?

The Jungle Book keeps tickling me for the boy (although with the only clues to his identity being that he appears Southeast Asian and that he can't understand you when you talks, it seems like he could alternately be any number of characters). Anyway, ask him if he's Mowgli.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 996
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

I'm wondering if we need to get the Chief to lift the big machine at all? Perhaps once we get the key, the cuckoos can just follow us out? But then, if that's true, why is the machine even there at all? Hmm.

Also, I'm intrigued that the boy in the first room isn't blurry, even though he has forgotten his name. My guess is that he won't give us a book (since he has a key instead), so we most likely have every book we need.


Please place any remaining books that you have on the bookshelf. You take the twelve books out of your pocket, which is good because they are getting uncomfortable, and place them on the shelf. Arrange them as described by someone else above (arranged in the layout of the rooms they came from). Done. Does anything happen? Does the boy do anything? Do any books appear to be missing from the shelf? The boy walks over to watch you. Nothing happens otherwise. There is a lot of space left on the shelves, so you can't tell if anything's missing.

If nothing happens with that arrangement, repeat the above as you rearrange the books in alphabetical order by title. Then by alphabetical order by author. Then by color (order of the rainbow). Then by date of publication. Do any of these arrangements get a result? Nothing seems to be happening, but the boy is still watching.

The Jungle Book keeps tickling me for the boy (although with the only clues to his identity being that he appears Southeast Asian and that he can't understand you when you talks, it seems like he could alternately be any number of characters). It seems like a fair assumption. Anyway, ask him if he's Mowgli. He looks up at you. "I still can't understand you, sorry. But nice books."
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 321
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get the boy to follow you out of the room? If so, try to lead him to the Island of the Blue Dolphins room. If not, ask the woman in the IOBD room if she has made pets of any of the wild dogs. If she has, see if we can take that dog back to the room with the gold door.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1165
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We do have another clue for the boy, actually--despite claiming to be starving, he refused all 'normal' human food, choosing to gulp down, instead, "raw, bloody steak" "like a wild animal". Hardly food for a little boy! I suggested Mowgli further up too, because of this, but that's not it... is there another South Asian boy character who's been raised in the wild?

I've just had a brainwave! Both times we've asked if he's Mowgli, he hasn't said he isn't, he just says he can't understand us. Could it be that the main problem with the boy is his inability to understand? Maybe we should give him some of the books to read and learn from? Would this help him understand English?

I'll put my theory to the test:
Give the boy the books to look at. Alternatively, read to him and teach him. Then ask him again if he is Mowgli. Fingers crossed!
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1612
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you know, I thought someone had suggested Mowgli, but I couldn't find it, so I asked again =). Also, good thought on the reading thing.

Question...all of the books are blank inside, right? None of them have any pictures?
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1166
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear, I forgot the books were blank! =( Maybe we need to do something with the books and the shelf to make them fill up with words? I'm not giving up on my Mowgli-teaching theory, lol!
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 322
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We stopped looking inside the books after the first few we got were blank. I assume they are all blank, but we don't know for sure yet... Although I did put that they were blank in all my recaps, and Gourami didn't say anything against it, but she may have just allowed it to go past because we didn't know better at the time.

As for the language barrier, that's why I'm trying to get him near the wild dogs... If he IS Mowgli, he grew up with animals like them, so maybe he'll understand/recognize them. Don't know - could be fruitless, but worth a try, anyway.

Also, yay for everyone joining back in the puzzle!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 997
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Can you get the boy to follow you out of the room? You try, but he sits back resolutely in his original position. If so, try to lead him to the Island of the Blue Dolphins room. If not, ask the woman in the IOBD room if she has made pets of any of the wild dogs. If she has, see if we can take that dog back to the room with the gold door.
An ingenious scheme, but it's a no-go. You arrive at the island and ask her to spare a dog. She sighs. "Attempts at domestication are going a little more roughly than I may have at first supposed. You're welcome to try and grab one, but they may eat you."

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

I'll put my theory to the test:
Give the boy the books to look at. Alternatively, read to him and teach him. You hand him the books, one by one. He examines them, then says, "I'm not great at reading, but I know some letters. I know this one--" he holds up the copy of Dracula "--starts with D. And this one is an E, right?" He points to The Importance of Being Earnest. Then ask him again if he is Mowgli. Fingers crossed! He still looks at you uncomprehendingly.

Noel (Noel)

Question...all of the books are blank inside, right? None of them have any pictures? You thumb through each of the books. All of the pages are completely blank and white.

Excellent theorizing, by the way. Y'all are very close to the solution.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1613
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using the books, point to the letters M-O-W-G-L-I in order. any effect?

If that doesn't do it, here's a recap of book titles:
RAGTIME
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
LORD OF THE FLIES
THE GREAT GATSBY
MOBY DICK
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
OLIVER TWIST
WATCHMEN
DRACULA
ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS
THE ODYSSEY
That's 11...which one am I missing? My next thought is that maybe we have to spell something with the first letter of each book.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1168
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's Hamlet in there too. So:

RAGTIME
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
LORD OF THE FLIES
THE GREAT GATSBY
MOBY DICK
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
OLIVER TWIST
WATCHMEN
DRACULA
ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS
THE ODYSSEY
HAMLET
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 999
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel (Noel)

Using the books, point to the letters M-O-W-G-L-I in order. any effect?
You point to Moby Dick, Oliver Twist, Watchmen, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies, and Island of the Blue Dolphins in that order. Mowgli thinks about it for a minute, then his face brightens. "Oh, I get it! You're trying to talk. Let's see, M...O...G...Mowgli! That's my name, I remember it now!" He jumps up and down with joy. He then takes the books you have pointed to and places them on the shelf, in the order of his name. "Hey, thanks. I'm not hungry, I'm not cold, and I remember my name! Is there anything I can do for you?"

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

There's Hamlet in there too. So:

RAGTIME
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
LORD OF THE FLIES
THE GREAT GATSBY
MOBY DICK
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST
OLIVER TWIST
WATCHMEN
DRACULA
ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS
THE ODYSSEY
HAMLET

This is correct.
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1169
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woohoo!!! Ask him for the key? (I almost feel it can't be that simple, but...) =)
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 325
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In keeping with what just happened, I'm guessing we need to point out the letters on the remaining books for what we need, since he probably still can't understand us.

We still have:
Dracula
Hamlet
Importance of Being Earnest
Odyssey
Ragtime
Tale of Two Cities

D, H, I, O, R, T... Well that's not going to help. If we had One Flew Over... as well, we'd have DHIOORT. Aha! Brainwave - take the E from ... Earnest instead of the I, and we have DEHOORT. You can anagram that to "THE DOOR" and maybe we can get out!

Now we're back to trying to get McMurphy and the Chief out :-( Damn.
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1001
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)

Woohoo!!! Ask him for the key? (I almost feel it can't be that simple, but...) =) Hopefully you're growing fond of Mowgli's uncomprehending look, because you keep getting it.

Kalira (Kalira)

In keeping with what just happened, I'm guessing we need to point out the letters on the remaining books for what we need, since he probably still can't understand us. Quite possibly.

We still have:
Dracula
Hamlet
Importance of Being Earnest
Odyssey
Ragtime
Tale of Two Cities

D, H, I, O, R, T... Well that's not going to help. If we had One Flew Over... as well, we'd have DHIOORT. Aha! Brainwave - take the E from ... Earnest instead of the I, and we have DEHOORT. You can anagram that to "THE DOOR" and maybe we can get out! Makes perfect sense to me! Um, I mean, to you!

And as a creator, i want to apologize for using "Earnest" for E. I just can't think of any great works of literature that begin with E. Never read Emma or East of Eden...oh no! I forgot Ender's Game, dammit!


Now we're back to trying to get McMurphy and the Chief out :-( Damn. Which I'm actually very happy about, because it means the Adventure can end with a true lateral leap.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 326
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I don't think we've tried this yet, so here goes the most direct route I can think of. Go back to the hallway with McMurphy and the Chief, and tell them that the only way for them to get out is for the Chief to pick up the control panel around the corner and take it to the west end hallway and use it to break through the window.

And when that doesn't work...
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1005
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Okay, I don't think we've tried this yet, so here goes the most direct route I can think of. Directness sounds good... back to the hallway with McMurphy and the Chief, and tell them that the only way for them to get out is for the Chief to pick up the control panel around the corner and take it to the west end hallway and use it to break through the window. You let him know this. He glances at the Chief, who gives him an unreadable look. "Well, see, the thing is...Chief Broom here isn't quite sure he wants to go yet. Once there's an easy route, I'm sure he'll change his mind and come with me. But he's not helping at the moment."

And when that doesn't work... Which it didn't...
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 327
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did we ever try to move the panel ourselves? Go to the hallway where the panel is and try to pick it up. If it's possible, take it over to the western hallway and try to throw it through the window.
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1614
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get help lifting the panel from someone strong? One of the Watchmen, maybe? Or Odysseus?
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1007
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

Did we ever try to move the panel ourselves? I don't think we did! Go to the hallway where the panel is and try to pick it up.
You turn the corner and go to the panel. After psyching yourself up and flexing your muscles, you pick it up to find it weighs nearly nothing. Like the canoe to the island, you can manipulate it with almost no effort.
If it's possible, take it over to the western hallway and try to throw it through the window.
You lug the panel past McMurphy and the Chief, noting with some satisfaction their shocked expressions. Continuing into the next segment of the hallway, you toss it toward the window, which smashes in a terrific shower of glass shards.
The music playing overhead screeches to a stop. The two men run past you, patting you on the back and thanking you, then jump out the window. As an afterthought, one tosses a book back in to you. It says One Flew over Cuckoo's Nest on the cover.


Noel (Noel)

Can you get help lifting the panel from someone strong? One of the Watchmen, maybe? Or Odysseus? No longer necessary.
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 328
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

::sigh...:: Of course... The obvious... Couldn't have thought of that the first time? ::Gibbs slap to the back of her own head:: I won't even bother to tell you the elaborate ways I had thought of managing that.

All right. Head back to the room we started in. Point out the letters spelling "THE DOOR" to Mowgli as described above (and how could you forget Ender's Game :-O ??) and see if he gives you the key or opens the door for you. If he just gives you the key, use it in the door and open it. Head on out to freedom!
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1009
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kalira (Kalira)

::sigh...:: Of course... The obvious... Couldn't have thought of that the first time? ::Gibbs slap to the back of her own head:: I won't even bother to tell you the elaborate ways I had thought of managing that. Don't worry, NCIS references make everything better.

All right. Head back to the room we started in. Point out the letters spelling "THE DOOR" to Mowgli as described above (and how could you forget Ender's Game :-O ??) and see if he gives you the key or opens the door for you.
"The...door." Mowgli recites. "Ohhh, open the door with the key! Well, why didn't you say so to begin with?" He puts the key in the lock and turns. If he just gives you the key, use it in the door and open it. Head on out to freedom!

You push the door open. As you walk into the room beyond, everyone you have met begins stepping in behind you. Earnest passes you, and Odysseus, and Karana and the Silk Spectre and Oliver, Dracula and even McMurphy and the Chief.

You find yourself in the fiction sections of your local library. As you watch, each group of characters picks one book off one of the shelves and they take turns jumping into it. You pick up one of the books and look inside--all the words are right back where they should be. Good for them.

You wander around the library for a while, and eventually find yourself in non-fiction. Around 793 in the Dewey Decimals, you find what you were looking for. you take a Paul Sloane book off the shelf and jump inside...

And you find yourself back at home on the Lateral Thinking Puzzles Forum.




********************SPOILER*****************
Great job everybody! Special tribute to the big solvers: Kalira (our recap artist!), Noel (who hopped in one day and never let go!) and JumpingJack (a diehard participant!), and great job to Rabrab, Ohlala, Fleemco, Liquizt, Alhucema, and Cupofsun!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1173
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was awesome!! Thank you! =)
Kalira (Kalira)
New member
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 329
Registered: 2-2009
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whew! That was fun, and a great bit of exercise for English degrees (yours, mine, and anyone else's who hasn't come out of the English major closet on the forum) ;-) Thanks for a great adventure, Gourami!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
New member
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1174
Registered: 3-2006
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me!!! I'm out of the closet!! In fact, I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation instead of being on here... =/
Gourami (Gourami)
Moderator
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1013
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad y'all enjoyed it. I'm amazed I got through it with as few mistakes and disclaimers as I did...
Noel (Noel)
New member
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1617
Registered: 7-2009
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for this wonderful puzzle! It was fun and challenging.

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: