[peter365] Most embarrassing Scrund ever Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2009 » [peter365] Most embarrassing Scrund ever « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm praying someone else had this scrund as well or I'm going to look like a right prat.

All I'll tell is you is that it's something to do with music
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL

Is it to do with recorded music or music that you make yourself?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, oh, did you used to think that radio stations had all the people lined up to sing or play live to you? Not having a record player until I was a teenager I used to think that....
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL I know

Is it to do with recorded music or music that you make yourself? Recorded music

Oh, oh, did you used to think that radio stations had all the people lined up to sing or play live to you? Not having a record player until I was a teenager I used to think that....I did have that scrund when I was a kid but I think that's a fairly common one . This one is much more embarrassing.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it on the record, cassette or cd itself? Or what you would hear on radio or TV?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it on the record, cassette or cd itself? Yope Or what you would hear on radio or TV? Actually hearing music is not all that relevant to the scrund
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4169
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's about music in general, whether you hear it or not? Did it ever apply to live music or did the act of playing it live negate the scrund? So your brother playing his guitar in his bedroom, or hearing a band live in the park wouldn't count?

Was it do with the method of recording it?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's about music in general, whether you hear it or not? Hard to say. You could have this scrund without actually listening to music but you'd have to have seen something written about it. Actually listening to music without seeing something would make it impossible to have this scrund Did it ever apply to live music or did the act of playing it live negate the scrund? It could apply to live music So your brother playing his guitar in his bedroom, or hearing a band live in the park wouldn't count? No neither of these scenarios could cause this scrund

Was it do with the method of recording it? No
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The embarassment - is it something that is only related to music? Or is it something that we are naturally embarassed by - like nakedness or falling over in public?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4173
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually I'm misinterpreting your puzzle statement I think. Are you embarassed because you think that it's so obvious that nobody else would think your way? That it's an idiotic scrund?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to physics? the physics of vibrations/sound waves?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The embarassment - is it something that is only related to music? Or is it something that we are naturally embarassed by - like nakedness or falling over in public?

Actually I'm misinterpreting your puzzle statement I think. Are you embarassed because you think that it's so obvious that nobody else would think your way? That it's an idiotic scrund? yes it's just idiotic

Is the scrund related to physics? the physics of vibrations/sound waves? No nothing like this. It's to do with popular music
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Something written about it"--you mean text that would be on the CD case or record sleeve? advertisements for concerts or performances, like would appear in the newspaper? music reviews? writing on sheet music?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Something written about it"--you mean text that would be on the CD case or record sleeve? Yes this is one example of how this scrund could be arrived at advertisements for concerts or performances, like would appear in the newspaper? Not as much no music reviews? Yes writing on sheet music? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can it be said that the scrund is about musicians? Instruments? Money, as pertaining to music? Recording contracts? Could a musician have this scrund?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can it be said that the scrund is about musicians? YesInstruments? No Money as pertaining to music? No Recording contracts? Noish Could a musician have this scrund? I would doubt that any recording artist would have this scrund
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 617
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about: how music is recorded in studio? Mixing? Post-production? Did you think it was always done in real time, just like a recording of a live performance? How music is composed relevant? Practice? Did you have a scrund about who did what when recording music?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4175
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that they actually believed and meant the words that they sang? I did.....
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2318
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about: how music is recorded in studio? NoMixing? Post-production? No to these Did you think it was always done in real time, just like a recording of a live performance? I did think that but i guess a lot of people did so that's not the scrund in question How music is composed relevant? No Practice? No Did you have a scrund about who did what when recording music? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that they actually believed and meant the words that they sang? I did.....Interesting ... I do still believe that any band worth it's salt believes in what they sing

Little clue for you. If you looked at a the charts you could have this scrund (If you are as as daft as I was). So it's nothing to do with the technicalities of how music is made and recorded. I am confident that when you get the solution you'll laugh out loud because as scrunds go this is a real beaut
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I really meant was that if they were singing about heartbreak at their boy/girl friend leaving them, then that is what had really happened - but then you read that they are happily married or something.

I've looked at the charts for the first time in over 30 years and recognise some of the names but others I have NO idea about at all. Not having my kids at home I no longer hear pop music videos. (And to think that I had the coveted Saturday job of working on a record stall in our indoor market).

So - is it anything to do with assuming that songs are only in the charts if the artist/s are alive or at least still together as a group?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I really meant was that if they were singing about heartbreak at their boy/girl friend leaving them, then that is what had really happened - but then you read that they are happily married or something. Ahhh I'm with you now. And I agree. I strongly suspect that the warden never threw a party at the county jail

I've looked at the charts for the first time in over 30 years and recognise some of the names but others I have NO idea about at all. Not having my kids at home I no longer hear pop music videos. (And to think that I had the coveted Saturday job of working on a record stall in our indoor market). apparently you have to have appeared on the X factor to get into the charts these days. And by the way this is the album charts I'm referring to

So - is it anything to do with assuming that songs are only in the charts if the artist/s are alive or at least still together as a group? No but you're concentrating on the right general area now
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm no wiser having looked at the album charts. I see that there are even more remote entries i.e. their songs haven't been around for decades and suddenly seem to be making a comeback.

I do know that album/single buying habits have changed since supermarkets started selling them. It's less embarassing to pop a Johnny Mathis in your basket than venture into a darkened shop full of acidheads. It's even less embarassing to download Charlie Drake 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back' off iTunes. As a result, oldies are enjoying a comeback. Any of this relevant? (the Mr Custer song is funny)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm no wiser having looked at the album charts.Remember I had this scrund when I was about 12 so the current album charts won't help. It's just something you might see when you look t them I see that there are even more remote entries i.e. their songs haven't been around for decades and suddenly seem to be making a comeback. Sad but true

I do know that album/single buying habits have changed since supermarkets started selling them. It's less embarassing to pop a Johnny Mathis in your basket than venture into a darkened shop full of acidheads. It's even less embarassing to download Charlie Drake 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back' off iTunes. As a result, oldies are enjoying a comeback. Any of this relevant? (the Mr Custer song is funny) No but there must be a puzzle lurking in here though.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my daughter, when young, thought the Johnny Rivers song was called "Secret ASIAN man", not AGENT -- conjures up interesting ideas about such a man -- no doubt song lyric scrunds are as numerous as clamshells on a beach...

anything to do with covers of old hit songs appearing high on the contemporary charts (as was the case with "Secret Agent Man," as I recall, when Devo covered it...)
how the charts are developed and compiled relevant? the rating protocol/other?
is your scrund about band/artist names, song/album titles, or place/ranking on the charts?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that a "number 1" song was always the first track on its album?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Record companies involved in the scrund? Albums changing places in the ranking relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my daughter, when young, thought the Johnny Rivers song was called "Secret ASIAN man", not AGENT -- conjures up interesting ideas about such a man -- no doubt song lyric scrunds are as numerous as clamshells on a beach... I like it and yes the are numerous scrunds in this area. In fact I know of several websites dedicated to mondegreens. Some appear a little contrived to me but my personal favourite is the famous "There's a bathroom on the right" replacing "There's a badmoon on the rise. "Might as well face it you're a dick with a glove" is another good one.

This puzzle is not based on a modegreen however

anything to do with covers of old hit songs appearing high on the contemporary charts (as was the case with "Secret Agent Man," as I recall, when Devo covered it...)
how the charts are developed and compiled relevant? the rating protocol/other?
is your scrund about band/artist names, A big yes to this song/album titles, or place/ranking on the charts? No to rest
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that a "number 1" song was always the first track on its album? No .... did you?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Record companies involved in the scrund? Albums changing places in the ranking relevant? No to both of these
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the name of the band was always the name of the artist? For example, that 'Pink Floyd' was a person (I used to think that)? Did you think the band name related somehow to the songs being sung?
Was it anything like a conception that every song was written by a different band? Or that only a few bands had written every song?
Alphebetization relevant? Classical music?

My favorite mondegreen was "'scuse me while I...kiss this guy" instead of "kiss the sky." Hendrix apparently liked that one so much that he sang it sometimes instead of the real lyric.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the name of the band was always the name of the artist? For example, that 'Pink Floyd' was a person (I used to think that)? No to this. This thing I like about scrund puzzles is that people are forced to admit to their own scrunds while asking questions Did you think the band name related somehow to the songs being sung? No
Was it anything like a conception that every song was written by a different band? No Or that only a few bands had written every song? No this either
Alphebetization relevant? No Classical music? yes this scrund could be held by looking at a classical music chart

My favorite mondegreen was "'scuse me while I...kiss this guy" instead of "kiss the sky." Hendrix apparently liked that one so much that he sang it sometimes instead of the real lyric. One of the better mondegreen sites is actually called Kiss this Guy http://www.kissthisguy.com/. Actually John Fogarty from Creedence used to sing the "bathroom on the right" line at their gigs also.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the charts ranked the popularity of band or album names, rather than the songs themselves?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the charts ranked the popularity of band or album names, rather than the songs themselves? No
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No .... did you?

No, I didn't. But as a kid I didn't care about popularity of music, and my parents didn't follow current music either, so I wouldn't have had reason to think about this.

Actually John Fogarty from Creedence used to sing the "bathroom on the right" line at their gigs also.

I've never understood why this one is common. I did hear this song on the radio relatively often as a kid, and while "rise" does sound almost like "right", I totally don't hear "bathroom". And besides, it would make no sense in the context. There are hurricanes and earthquakes set to destroy us all, oh and by the way, the bathroom is down the hall to your right??

But back to the puzzle:

Does it matter whether the charts are of the most popular songs, albums, or artists? or could any of these promote the scrund?

Is it relevant how long before the rankings are updated?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No .... did you?

No, I didn't. But as a kid I didn't care about popularity of music, and my parents didn't follow current music either, so I wouldn't have had reason to think about this. I cared about little else

Actually John Fogarty from Creedence used to sing the "bathroom on the right" line at their gigs also.

I've never understood why this one is common. I did hear this song on the radio relatively often as a kid, and while "rise" does sound almost like "right", I totally don't hear "bathroom". And besides, it would make no sense in the context. There are hurricanes and earthquakes set to destroy us all, oh and by the way, the bathroom is down the hall to your right?? I guess mondegreens by their nature don't have to make sense in the context of the song. Another good example would be "I've got shoes they're made of plywood" from Grease

But back to the puzzle:

Does it matter whether the charts are of the most popular songs, albums, or artists? or could any of these promote the scrund? no it's specifically the artists' name that caused the scrund and I guess the charts are where you'd have been most likely to see it written down

Is it relevant how long before the rankings are updated? No the method by which the chart is compiled is irrelevant
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about artists names in general? Or about one particular artist's (or band's) name?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jethro Tull? [that's a classic, and would be embarrassing, I suppose]
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about artists names in general? Yope Or about one particular artist's (or band's) name? Yes but be careful
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jethro Tull? [that's a classic, and would be embarrassing, I suppose]No not this one which is as you say fairly common
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry in hindsight the above YOPE should be a yesish
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Band?
The Beatles? (obvious scrund...that they're named after the insects)
The California Raisins or some other animated band?

If neither of the above, then is there a particular genre of music that is relevant? If so, pop? hard rock? easy listening? metal? jazz/blues/etc? other?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Band? herein lies the difficulty. I guess I have to to almost give this away now...It's not a real band
The Beatles? (obvious scrund...that they're named after the insects ... you mean they're not named after insec....oh i see)
The California Raisins or some other animated band? No to this

If neither of the above, then is there a particular genre of music that is relevant? If so, pop? hard rock? easy listening? metal? jazz/blues/etc? other?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just realised that "It's not a real band" could be open to misinterpretation so I'll rephrase that as "It's not a band at all but I thought it was"
Tommyp (Tommyp)
Username: Tommyp

Post Number: 748
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, "the insects" were involved in Beatles naming. They had many name suggestions, including "Long John and the Beetles", and finally settled for combining "Beat" with "Beetles" to Beatles.

Was it a name of a person that you thought was a band name?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, "the insects" were involved in Beatles naming. They had many name suggestions, including "Long John and the Beetles", and finally settled for combining "Beat" with "Beetles" to Beatles. Interesting . I heard a story once that after they had achieved worldwide fame they planned to disguise themselves and play a tour under the name "Randy & the Rockets" and see if anyone realised who they were

Was it a name of a person that you thought was a band name? No this scrund is much more embarrassing than that
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If neither of the above, then is there a particular genre of music that is relevant? If so, pop? hard rock? easy listening? metal? jazz/blues/etc? other? forgot to answer this from Noel... It could be any genre but mine was hard rock
Probably_monty_hall (Probably_monty_hall)
Username: Probably_monty_hall

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the names of music studios relevant? Titles of production team members (like A&R)?

Anything to do with cover bands or artists covering the songs of others?

Did you misinterpret the song title (or album title) as the band's name? Or some other juxtaposition of the above 3 names?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the names of music studios relevant? No Titles of production team members (like A&R)? No

Anything to do with cover bands or artists covering the songs of others? No

Did you misinterpret the song title (or album title) as the band's name? NO Or some other juxtaposition of the above 3 names? Yesish..
Tommyp (Tommyp)

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the band name was LP? CD? cassette? 33rpm? 45rpm?
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were there words or phrases as part of the charts that you thought were band/artist names ("weeks on chart," etc. - haven't seen a pop chart since the last millennium; having a hard time remembering the format...)?
or that referred to a band/artist?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think "Number one"? "Number one on the charts"? Or "Hit Single" was the name of a band? Something similar?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the band name was LP? CD? cassette? 33rpm? 45rpm? Hee hee much as i like these suggestions I have to say no. I can imagine some of our younger puzzlers asking what the hell's a 33rpm. Ah the good old days
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were there words or phrases as part of the charts that you thought were band/artist names ("weeks on chart," etc. - haven't seen a pop chart since the last millennium; having a hard time remembering the format...)? No it was nothing to do with the format of the chart. Good question
or that referred to a band/artist? aYope to this. You'll see from the solution why I'm having some trouble answering some of these questions
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think "Number one"? "Number one on the charts"? Or "Hit Single" was the name of a band? Something similar? NO to these and the solution is not really similar either. These would be excellent scrunds though.

Small recap: I saw something on an album chart that made me think a non existent band existed. The format of or how the charts were compiled is not relevant. Ask yourself where the thing i saw would be written to make me think it was the name of a band. A key word to the solution has been mentioned in recent questions
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the band name was "artist"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the band name was "artist"? No but very close. Should be easy from here
Tommyp (Tommyp)

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Group? No stick with Artist
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it say something on the top like:
Artist: Track: and so on, and you thought there was an artist named "Track"? If not, am I OTRT?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it say something on the top like:
Artist: Track: and so on, and you thought there was an artist named "Track"? If not, am I OTRT? Not really but the word artist(s) is very relevant. You'll kick yourself when you hear the answer
Tommyp (Tommyp)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top Artist? Best Artist? #1 Artist? another combination of one word, followed by Artist? more words? two words, but Artist first?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top Artist? Best Artist? #1 Artist? No to all another combination of one word, followed by Artist? yes but it's artists not artist more words? two words, but Artist first? so no to rest

I'll eat my hat if the next post doesn't solve
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recording artists?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recording artists? This hat is quite tasty if you put enough salt on it. That's a NO by the way.
Tommyp (Tommyp)

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Three faulty answers and it's a hat trick.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top artists? Best artists? Similar? Want some salt with that hat?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top artists? Best artists? Similar? No to all Want some salt with that hat? It's a bit chewy. I begining to think some of you must be unfamiliar with this term because it's sticking out a mile
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 719
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hit artists?
Maybe you should tenderize it with a 16 ton weight?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any other guesses, so either I'm unfamiliar with the term or I'm just missing something obvious. But then, I don't spend much time looking at music charts. Can you think of a hint?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hit artists? No
Maybe you should tenderize it with a 16 ton weight? {I can recommend ketchup for a Deerstalker, Salt & Vinegar for a Beret & Mayo for a Bowler. I'm quite full now}
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any other guesses, so either I'm unfamiliar with the term or I'm just missing something obvious. But then, I don't spend much time looking at music charts. Can you think of a hint? Ok methinks tis time to put this to bed so here's a clue. Who made the following albums Now that's what I call music Vol 1? Country Legends? Hits of the 70s etc etc?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assorted artists? Various artists? Mixed artists?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assorted artists? Various artists? Huge sigh of relief YES!!!!! Mixed artists?

****************SPOILER**************

Ok so apparently some of you are not familiar with the fact that compilation albums in the charts were described as being by "Various Artists".

I had a scrund about this which I had forgotten about but was reminded of in embarrassing circumstances recently. My mother found some of my old school copy books from when I was around 12. I was going through a bit of a heavy metal phase then and had scribbled the names of my favourite bands on the inside cover of the copybook. Imagine my shock when looking at this years later and discovered amongst the AC/DCs , Iron Maidens , Rainbows & Motorheads the "band" VARIOUS ARTISTS. Apparently there was a classic Heavy Metal compilation album out at the time which I'd spotted in the charts and under bandname it said Various Artists. I was forced to admit to much hilarity from my family that I once thought Various Artists were a heavy metal band

Pretty embarrassing do you think?
Tommyp (Tommyp)

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, of course. "Various Artists" or similar. I actually thought about that before, but not as a solution... It was when I gave those 33rpm/45rpm guesses and I remembered "Stars on 45rpm, by Various Artists"... (I believe featuring dolls similar to those from The Muppet Show).
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*Head slap* you're right, that should have been obvious a long time ago. I was too stuck thinking about the music chart itself rather than just the listed "band" on a cd's description.

Thank you for sharing your embarrassment with us =)
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fun puzzle (: And I recall my neighbour had that scrund when we were little, describing a song I liked as being by the band "Various Artists"...I was sceptical. But you're not alone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: