[Hominid] A scrund about Barack Obama Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2010 » [Hominid] A scrund about Barack Obama « Previous Next »

Hominid (Hominid)
Username: Hominid

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are many scrunds about the 44th president (actually the 43rd; that's another scrund.) However, there is one in particular that I am thinking of that I heard repeated on a TV show. I don't think I ever had this scrund myself. What is it?
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 636
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to his name? His middle name? His race? Nationality? Parents' nationality? State of birth? His childhood? His academic life (both as a student and a lecturer)? Political career before the Presidency? Anything he's done (or not done) during the Presidency? A particular political appointment that he's made during (or in regards to?) his Presidency?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to his name? yes. His middle name? no. His race? Nationality? Parents' nationality? State of birth? His childhood? His academic life (both as a student and a lecturer)? Political career before the Presidency? Anything he's done (or not done) during the Presidency? A particular political appointment that he's made during (or in regards to?) his Presidency? no to all the rest.
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***************BLOOPER*******************

Nationality is yopishly relevant. I guess race is too.
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 638
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it anything to do with the belief that Obama wasn't born an American citizen? The etymology of his name? The reason that his parents gave him the name 'Barack'? The related nickname, 'Barry'? The genealogy behind the surname 'Obama'?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the scrund come about just from hearing the name "Barack Obama," and knowing nothing about him? Or would the scrund not apply until he became famous? Until he became president? Even more recently?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do directly with Obama himself or with other people (perhaps his relatives or associates)? Does it only apply to TV newscasters, or could it apply to everyone? To a particular segment of the population? Is the scrund favorable or unfavorable to Obama?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it anything to do with the belief that Obama wasn't born an American citizen? no. The etymology of his name? yope. The reason that his parents gave him the name 'Barack'? yope. The related nickname, 'Barry'? no. The genealogy behind the surname 'Obama'? no.

Could the scrund come about just from hearing the name "Barack Obama," and knowing nothing about him? Or would the scrund not apply until he became famous? Until he became president? Even more recently? Anyone who knew him or who he was could have this scrund.

Does it have to do directly with Obama himself this or with other people (perhaps his relatives or associates)? Does it only apply to TV newscasters, or could it apply to everyone?this To a particular segment of the population? Is the scrund favorable or unfavorable to Obama? hard to say. Neutral for most rational people.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the assumption that his name is Arabic/Muslim?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the assumption that his name is Arabic/Muslim? no, but close.
Torquemada (Torquemada)
Username: Torquemada

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with how his name should be pronounced?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with how his name should be pronounced? no.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the scrund be possible if his name were Bob Obama? Barack Smith?

Does it have anything to do with where in the world his first or last name is most prevalent?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with that town in Japan named Obama?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the scrund be possible if his name were Bob Obama? yes, as long as he has the same background. Barack Smith? I highly doubt this, especially in English-speaking countries.

Does it have anything to do with where in the world his first or last name is most prevalent? basically.

Anything to do with that town in Japan named Obama? nope.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... hint?

Is his name African? Other nationality/culture? Made-up? Relevant?

Do people think his name means something it doesn't? That it doesn't mean something, but does?

Does the scrund imply something negative? Positive?

Is the presidency relevant? Or would this scrund apply to Obama were he still a lawyer or Senator? Would it apply to others named Barack? Obama?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... hint?

Is his name African? Other nationality/culture? this. Made-up? Relevant? yes.

Do people think his name means something it doesn't? That it doesn't mean something, but does?

Does the scrund imply something negative? Positive? for most civilized Americans, it is neutral. However, some racists might find it positive, and others might find it negative.

Is the presidency relevant? no. Or would this scrund apply to Obama were he still a lawyer or Senator? no. When I saw it on TV, it was on inauguration day, but it would apply at any time. Would it apply to others named Barack? Obama? most likely.

HINT: This scrund is about his first name. An opposite scrund might apply to his last name. Also, I suggest you do some research on the name Barack before you went any further. Also, one person on here appears to have the scrund.

By the way, thank you, Jenburdoo, for rescuing my puzzle.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fact that Barack is derived from the Hebrew name Baruch relevant? Possibly these people think that the name is a word from an African language, rather than having originated elsewhere? I could say that I had that scrund, though it's a passive one since I didn't really think about it--that's just what I would have guessed.
Amu (Amu)
Username: Amu

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any countries in Europe relevant...?
Hominid (Hominid)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*************SPOILER*********************

Possibly these people think that the name is a word from an African language, rather than having originated elsewhere?

Congratulations. You solved the puzzle. The TV program actually said that he "embraced his African name" by calling himself Barack instead of Barry.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: