[kalira] Don't get hysterical!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [kalira] Don't get hysterical!!! « Previous Next »

Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once, while doing something that normally makes me happy, I found myself very frustrated and angry. It was mostly their fault, though partially hers as well.

What happened?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You=HAF? They=HAM? HAF? HA mixed? Her=HAF? Did you do it: by yourself? With her? With them? With her and them? Or is "to" a better description than "with"? Did they mean to make you frustrated and angry? Did she? Could it be said that they "ruined it"? That she did?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

You=HAF? yes(and yes it is actually me) They=HAM? HAF? HA mixed?<--this Her=HAF? yope Did you do it: by yourself? yes With her? no with a very very slight ish With them? no With her and them? Or is "to" a better description than "with"? no, I did nothing to them or her Did they mean to make you frustrated and angry? doubtful Did she? not really... difficult to answer Could it be said that they "ruined it"? yes, though in my case they didn't. With someone else or at a different time, entirely possible. That she did? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "her" a child? A non-human? An object? How long does "it" take to do: a second? 10+? A minute? 10 minutes, half an hour? One to a few hours? A day? A week? Month? Year? More?
Relevant how often you do it?
Do you do it for your own benefit? Hers? Their?
Is it also detrimental? If so: to you? Her? Them?
Is it a trip?
Is she your daughter?
Could you do it again afterwards, and enjoy it as much as the times before?
Did they make a mistake? Did she? Did they react to something she did? The other way around? Were they taking care of her? While you did your thing?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is "her" a child? no A non-human? noish An object? noish, I guess How long does "it" take to do: a second? 10+? A minute? 10 minutes, half an hour? One to a few hours? A day? A week? Month? Year? More? could be any of these, although in cases where it takes a day or longer, it it almost always broken up into smaller "sessions." In this case, it was several hours, which is relevant.
Relevant how often you do it? not really
Do you do it for your own benefit? yes Hers? Their?
Is it also detrimental? I can't really think of any way it could be If so: to you? Her? Them?
Is it a trip? the thing I normally enjoy? no, with a slight ish
Is she your daughter? no
Could you do it again afterwards, and enjoy it as much as the times before? undoubtedly
Did they make a mistake? I think so Did she? no Did they react to something she did? no The other way around? no Were they taking care of her? no While you did your thing?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "she" an adolescent? Something noncorporeal (a computer program, for example)?

Was what you were doing a hobby? Does it involve friendship? Can it be done alone? In a group? Do you need to travel to do it?

Did they (or she) directly affect you? Indirectly? Before or while you were engaged in the activity?

Was anyone reacting to you? Vice versa? Any misinterpretations involved? Could this be considered an accident? Did anyone involved have a scrund?

Were "they" present while you were doing this activity? Was she? Had they (or she) done so before? Did they (or she) know what you were doing? Did they (or she) approve?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo

Is "she" an adolescent? no Something noncorporeal (a computer program, for example)? well, literally I suppose the answer is yes, but I think the better answer is yope. Sorry for the continued annoyingly vague answers on her... she may be problematic until you make the lateral leap to what/who she is

Was what you were doing a hobby? yes Does it involve friendship? no Can it be done alone? yes In a group? could be, but it would more likely be a bunch of people doing it individually... there's no cooperation needed Do you need to travel to do it? no

Did they (or she) directly affect you? Indirectly? yes for them and her... a little difficult to say Before or while you were engaged in the activity? while, for both them and her

Was anyone reacting to you? no Vice versa? my reactions are the getting frustrated and angry Any misinterpretations involved? not that I can think of Could this be considered an accident? no, although nobody set out to make me unhappy... let's call their actions a mistake, and hers were intentional though not directed at me Did anyone involved have a scrund? no

Were "they" present while you were doing this activity? no Was she? only yopely Had they (or she) done so before? been present while I did the activity? no for both them and her Did they (or she) know what you were doing? no Did they (or she) approve? irrelevant
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your activity active (doing something), or passive(like watching, reading or listening to something)? Do you create something as a result fo the activity? Something tangible? Could yoy see her? Them? Hear her? Them? Relevant?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is your activity active (doing something), or passive(like watching, reading or listening to something)? it is, in fact, reading -- good question Do you create something as a result fo the activity? Something tangible? Could yoy see her? no Them? no Hear her? no Them? no Relevant? for them, very relevant; for her, no
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a character in what you're reading? Are they? Is there something wrong with your reading material? Or are you being distracted from your reading?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is she a character in what you're reading? yes - thanks for clearing that up... I need to stop making puzzles with fictional people involved. Makes it difficult to answer the basic questions. Are they? no Is there something wrong with your reading material? no Or are you being distracted from your reading? to a certain extent, but that's not why I was angry or frustrated
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you angry and frustrated because of what you read? Or was it difficult to read for some reason? Did they spoil the story for you?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Were you angry and frustrated because of what you read? this is part of why I'm angry/frustrated, but there's a bit more to reason out about why what I read made me feel this way Or was it difficult to read for some reason? no Did they spoil the story for you? no

HINT: It may help you to find out what "they" do for a living.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their profession:
Artistic? Musical?
Agriculture? Hunter? Fisherman?
Banking? Financial? Real estate?
Clerical? Administrative? Receptionist?
Computer related? Hardware? Information technology?
Construction? Craftsman?
Criminal? Jailbird?
Education? Academic Research?
Entertainment? Media?
Executive? Management?
Hospitality? Travel? Food Service?
Law enforcement? Police?
Legal Services?
Manufacturing? Distributions?
Medical? Health Services?
Politics? Government? Military?
Sales? Marketing? Tradesman?
Religion?
Retired person? Occupational disease?
Sports?
Student? Trainee?
Teaching? Child care?
Technical? Science? Engineering?
Transportation?
Unemployed?
Writer? Editor? Translator? Interpreter?
Other?

Did they do the mistake that caused your anger and frustration: while you were reading? Before? Would you be angry and frustrated if you were reading something else at the time? Relevant where you are at the moment? Are you alone at the time? At home? At the library? At work? In a public place? On transportation?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is their profession:
Artistic? Musical?
Agriculture? Hunter? Fisherman?
Banking? Financial? Real estate?
Clerical? Administrative? Receptionist?
Computer related? Hardware? Information technology?
Construction? Craftsman?
Criminal? Jailbird?
Education? Academic Research?
Entertainment? Media?
Executive? Management?
Hospitality? Travel? Food Service?
Law enforcement? Police?
Legal Services?
Manufacturing? Distributions?
Medical? <--this Health Services?
Politics? Government? Military?
Sales? Marketing? Tradesman?
Religion?
Retired person? Occupational disease?
Sports?
Student? Trainee?
Teaching? Child care?
Technical? Science? Engineering?
Transportation?
Unemployed?
Writer? Editor? Translator? Interpreter?
Other?

Did they do the mistake that caused your anger and frustration: while you were reading? yes Before? Would you be angry and frustrated if you were reading something else at the time? yes, but probably less so Relevant where you are at the moment?definitely Are you alone at the time? no, but not particularly relevant At home? no At the library? no At work? no In a public place? yes On transportation? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you in a hospital? Waiting room? Are you sick? Quarantined? Are you waiting for someone who doesn't show up? Or is late? Does "her" experiences reflect yours at the moment?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Are you in a hospital? yes Waiting room? and yes Are you sick? no Quarantined? no Are you waiting for someone who doesn't show up? Or is late? yesish to yope Does "her" experiences reflect yours at the moment? no
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you waiting for a doctor? A patient? Is information being withheld from you? Or are you given wrong information? Are you reading a novel? Other fictional story? True story? Are you reading a book? Magazine? Is she also frustrated and angry? does something bad happen to her? Does she do something bad?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Are you waiting for a doctor? yes A patient? and yes Is information being withheld from you? yes Or are you given wrong information? no Are you reading a novel? yes Other fictional story? True story? Are you reading a book? yes Magazine? Is she also frustrated and angry? no does something bad happen to her? eventually Does she do something bad? yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the patient your spouse? Child? Relative? Friend? Are you waiting for the patient to be released? Diagnosed? Treated? Is the information being withheld regarding: when the patient will be released? when something else will happen? How the patient is doing? What it will cost?
Is she a criminal? Does she hurt someone? Does the book reflect what is happening to you in some way? If you hadn't been in this situation, you'd have no problem reading the book, is that correct? If you had read the book later, would you think back to this experience and become frustrated and/or angry again?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "If you had read the book later", I mean later instead of then, not later in addition to then.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is the patient your spouse? Child? Relative? <--this Friend? Are you waiting for the patient to be released? yope Diagnosed? no Treated? yes, with a possible ish, DOYD Is the information being withheld regarding: when the patient will be released? no when something else will happen? yes How the patient is doing? yes What it will cost? no
Is she a criminal? she is never convicted as such, but she does break a number of laws and is generally considered to be quite evil Does she hurt someone? yes Does the book reflect what is happening to you in some way? no If you hadn't been in this situation, you'd have no problem reading the book, is that correct? correct If you had read the book later, would you think back to this experience and become frustrated and/or angry again? very doubtful

By "If you had read the book later", I mean later instead of then, not later in addition to then. okay
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant what was wrong with your relative? Is the relative adult? Male? Relevant?
Relevant what she's doing in that particular part of the book? Is she committing a crime? Hurting someone? Or could you read any part of the book and feel the same way?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Relevant what was wrong with your relative? the specific problem, no, but the type of treatment is Is the relative adult? yes Male? no Relevant? it was actually my mother, but this is probably only relevant in regards to my relative level of frustration/anger
Relevant what she's doing in that particular part of the book? I think there's a FA here Is she committing a crime? yes Hurting someone? yes Or could you read any part of the book and feel the same way? FA
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you read the entire book?`Because you had to wait for so long? Is your mother being operated on? It's the story in the book that contributes to your anger and frustration, correct? And specifically this character? Or is there something else about the book? such as its length?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Did you read the entire book? yes Because you had to wait for so long? yes Is your mother being operated on? yes It's the story in the book that contributes to your anger and frustration, correct? yes And specifically this character? yes Or is there something else about the book? well, the tone of the novel as well, but this is mostly brought about by her actions and the reactions to them such as its length?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why your mother is on the operating table? What she's being operated for? Is the character in the book a medical worker? Surgeon? Something else relevant to your situation? Does she kill anyone? Is the tone of the book similar to the tone of "them"?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is it relevant why your mother is on the operating table? noish to yope... the important part is not why or what, but... What she's being operated for? no Is the character in the book a medical worker? no Surgeon? no Something else relevant to your situation? no Does she kill anyone? no Is the tone of the book similar to the tone of "them"? not quite sure what you're asking (and there might be a FA here)... please rephrase
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how she arrived at the operating table? Was the operation scheduled? Or is it emergency surgery? Transplant involved? Are "they" being rude? Uncaring? Secretive?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is it relevant how she arrived at the operating table? no Was the operation scheduled? yes, and this is relevant Or is it emergency surgery? no Transplant involved? no Are "they" being rude? perhaps not purposefully, but I think they are Uncaring? ditto previous answer Secretive? yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We don't seem to make a lot of headway regarding the connection with the book. would it help to find out more about: her? The title of the book? the plot of the book? Her actions in the book? Her attitude towards others? The setting in the book? Is it set in a hospital?
Would it help to know more about the operation? Or about what information is being withheld? Or why it's being withheld? Was the operation successful? Relevant?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

We don't seem to make a lot of headway regarding the connection with the book. The basic connection between the surgery and the book is the fact that I was reading the book when the surgery was going on and that they both combined to make me more angry and depressed... Sorry. Hope that clears that up. would it help to find out more about: her? yes The title of the book? yes the plot of the book? yes Her actions in the book? yes -- finding out any one of these four things should be enough to clarify... Her attitude towards others? The setting in the book? this might get you a long way toward figuring out the book Is it set in a hospital? no
Would it help to know more about the operation? about the type of operation, no, but about the circumstances of this one, yes there are one or two more things to discover Or about what information is being withheld? mostly this, but think generally here Or why it's being withheld? the contributing cause is very much connected to the answer to your next question Was the operation successful? yesish, though not the way it was originally intended to be Relevant? yes

I hope these answers aren't completely unhelpful... You really do have only a few more things to figure out, I promise.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify: They = the surgeons and/or surgical staff? She = a character in a book?

Is this a book that most of us will recognize? Is it written by a well-known author? Is "she" a character that appears in more than one book?

Was your mom's procedure an exploratory surgery? Did the surgeons discover something unexpected during the surgery?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaygee

To clarify: They = the surgeons and/or surgical staff? She = a character in a book? yes on both counts

Is this a book that most of us will recognize? yes Is it written by a well-known author? yes Is "she" a character that appears in more than one book? yes, though she plays a more minor role in the other books in which she appears

Was your mom's procedure an exploratory surgery? no Did the surgeons discover something unexpected during the surgery? yes
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's talk books: Is the book fiction? non-fiction?
Is it set in modern times? Past? Future?
Is it relevant what country it is set in?
Was it written in the last 5 years? 10 years? 20+ years?
Does the character appear in other books written by only this author? or other authors?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kaygee

Let's talk books: Is the book fiction? yes non-fiction?
Is it set in modern times? yes - and canon has it set 8 years before its release date Past? Future?
Is it relevant what country it is set in? not relevant to the puzzle, but may help you narrow down the book
Was it written in the last 5 years? 10 years? this 20+ years?
Does the character appear in other books written by only this author? yes or other authors? no, aside from fanfics :-)
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book: fantasy? Drama? Romance? Horror? Thriller? Mystery? Parody/comedy? Other?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galfisk

Is the book: fantasy? primarily this Drama? Romance? Horror? Thriller? Mystery? Parody/comedy? Other?
Lacerta (Lacerta)
Username: Lacerta

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a Harry Potter book?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lacerta

Is it a Harry Potter book? yes
Lacerta (Lacerta)
Username: Lacerta

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was the eight-years-before-release-date that made me think of it. (:

Can I insert an LTPF list of Harry Potter books here to find out which one it is?

Is "she" Bellatrix Lestrange? Dolores Umbridge? Narcissa Malfoy?
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lacerta

Can I insert an LTPF list of Harry Potter books here to find out which one it is? we'll go with yes here -- Order of the Phoenix is the correct one

Is "she" Bellatrix Lestrange? Dolores Umbridge? yes Narcissa Malfoy?

This should have been spoilered a long time ago -- apologies to all those involved :-(
********SPOILER********

My mother was scheduled for a quick outpatient surgery (~90 minutes) a few months after the release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and my father and I planned to wait in the hospital during the surgery until she was ready to be released. I brought along the book, so I could begin reading it. I didn't expect to get terribly far while we waited, but the wait just got longer and longer. My father and I tried several times to get information on my mother's condition, only to be put off time and again by people who wouldn't tell us anything. It got to the point where I was practically shaking from the stress and wanted to scream at someone (and my dad had it even worse).

Finally, after seven hours (!!!) of waiting with no information, a nurse (and boy was my dad mad it wasn't the doctor, who was supposed to be responsible, after all) came out to tell us there had been complications, but that they were under control now. It was another two hours after that before the surgery was completed and we could see her, and she had to be admitted to the hospital for several days afterward.

During the time we were waiting, I needed something to keep my mind off the wait, and I ended up reading the entire book. Normally I love to read, but the combination of the stressful environment in which I found myself, the darker tone of the book, and the stresses and dictatorial environment experienced by the characters worked their magic (no pun intended) to make me very upset. In other words, it was mostly their fault (nurses, doctors, people who wouldn't tell us anything) I was upset/frustrated/angry, but it was also Umbridge's fault for the oppressive regime she instituted throughout Order of the Phoenix.

I have often remarked that had I not read the book at that time, its impact on me would have been greatly reduced -- in fact, I have not actually read the book since.

Thanks to Galfisk for most of the legwork, Lacerta for the finishing blows, and everyone else who participated -- and again, my apologies for the long wait for a spoiler.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: