[Whirligig] Squares and pie? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2010 » [Whirligig] Squares and pie? « Previous Next »

Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is my first post here. I'm a fan of LTPs, and expect me to post more puzzles than I solve. I'm also planning a Lateral Adventure once you've solved this puzzle and another one, which I'll post shortly. Don't expect me to reply too often, especially if I get busy. Anyway, the puzzle:

Bob: "Adam told me a weird story the other day."
Carl: "What?"
Bob: "He was in an elevator, and when he walked in, he saw a square. Then he went down five floors and saw a smaller square. He thought he had made a mistake, so he went down one more floor. This time, he saw a large piece of pie, so he left the elevator."
Carl: "???"

Explain.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 2840
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, welcome to the forum!

Now then...

Did Adam leave the elevator because he'd reached his floor? Because the elevator was no longer working?

Are the squares numbers? Buttons? Is the "pie" a square? A button?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 911
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the squares numbers? The "large piece of pie"?

My first thought was he started on the ninth floor (9 is 3 squared), went down to the fourth floor (4 is 2 squared), and then realized he wanted to be on the third floor (3 is a "large piece of pi", since pi is only slightly greater than 3).
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Adam leave the elevator because he'd reached his floor? this Because the elevator was no longer working?

Are the squares numbers? this Buttons? Is the "pie" a square? A button? neither

Are the squares numbers? The "large piece of pie"? both

My first thought was he started on the ninth floor (9 is 3 squared), went down to the fourth floor (4 is 2 squared), and then realized he wanted to be on the third floor (3 is a "large piece of pi", since pi is only slightly greater than 3). wow, that was quick

**********SPOILER**********

This must be some kind of record!

Adam was on floor 9 (=3^2, a perfect square) and wanted to reach floor 3 (=floor(pi), a "large piece of pi"). He mistakenly went to floor 4 (=2^2. a smaller square). The reason the statement is a conversation is because otherwise the pie/pi statement would be too obvious. With the conversation, I can take advantage of the homophone.

Well, congrats to Biograd for solving the puzzle on the second post (barring the puzzle statement). Balin also pushed this puzzle in the right direction.

I obviously underestimated you. Hopefully, my next puzzle won't be so much of a quickie.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it may be because the title--before I saw the puzzle statement--made me think of the joke:

Teacher: "The area of a circle is pi R squared"
Wiseguy student: "But teacher, pies are round!"
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, okay. In any case, you might want to turn your attention toward my other two puzzles now. ;)
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My pre-calc teacher told us that joke, so to counter, my sister made a square pie for the class. Math joke IRL - and it was delicious!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: