[Rbruma] Roses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [Rbruma] Roses « Previous Next »

Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this particular instance, the smell of death was like perfume
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4769
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does someone die? More than one? HAM? HAF? Was there a smell of perfume? Was the perfume poisoned? If there is a dead person, is he/she murdered? By a femme fatale? A black widow?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does someone die? Yes More than one? No HAM? This HAF? Was there a smell of perfume? No Was the perfume poisoned? No If there is a dead person, is he/she murdered? Noish to Nope By a femme fatale? A black widow? No to the rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the death suicide? Accident? Execution? Is the cause of death [LTPF list of untimely deaths]?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a literal smell?
That smells similar to perfume?
Is it of something natural, e.g. flowers, berries, etc.?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has it got something to do with "Ring around the rosie"?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the death suicide? No Accident? No Execution? This one Is the cause of death [LTPF list of untimely deaths]? Burning

Is there a literal smell? Noish or Yope
That smells similar to perfume? Yesish
Is it of something natural, e.g. flowers This one, berries, etc.?

Has it got something to do with "Ring around the rosie"? Nothing whatsoever

Excellent questions. This might go a lot quicker than I thought
Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he burned at the stake? Does this story take place during middle age? Relevant? If it's relevant, and it's not in middle age, does this take place in the LTPF list of centuries/decades?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he burned at the stake? Indeed Does this story take place during middle age? YesRelevant? Yes, if we want to find out who the person was, which instantly will lead to the solution If it's relevant, and it's not in middle age, does this take place in the LTPF list of centuries/decades?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True story? Or from a book (Thinking about "The name of the rose"...)? FYOI?

Is he a religious of any sort? was he accused of being a sorcerer? a heretic?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True story? Yes Or from a book (Thinking about "The name of the rose"...)? Nice thinking, but no FYOI?

Is he a religious of any sort? Yes was he accused of being a sorcerer? a heretic? This
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where the story takes place? USA? Europe? UK? Italy?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where the story takes place? Yes, again for discovering the real event USA? Europe? This... UK? Italy? ... and more precisely, this
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so as a short recap, in Italy, somewhere in the middle age, a religious is accused of being a heretic and burnt at the stake. Now we need to find a connection with the smell/perfume part.

Starting the easy way, was a certain smell "produced" during the burning of the poor guy? Does another smell "cover" the burning smell?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so as a short recap, in Italy, somewhere in the middle age, a religious is accused of being a heretic and burnt at the stake. Now we need to find a connection with the smell/perfume part. Correct

Starting the easy way, was a certain smell "produced" during the burning of the poor guy? Possibly Does another smell "cover" the burning smell? Noish or irrelevant. The connection is more 'metaphorical' in nature
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he burned during the Inquisition?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he burned during the Inquisition? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4805
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the metaphorical perfume related to Catholicism? Protestantism? Was the man a Protestant? Perfume: incense? Was there any physical smell at all?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the metaphorical perfume related to Catholicism? Protestantism? To none of these, FA Was the man a Protestant? No Perfume: incense? No Was there any physical smell at all? Possibly, but irrelevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4809
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the correction to the FA: Protestantism wasn't actually around yet?

Is the man considered a martyr? So the "perfume" could be the sweet memories history has for him?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the correction to the FA: Protestantism wasn't actually around yet? No
Is the man considered a martyr? DOYD of martyr. It is not considered as such by the church, only as a heretic -- the reason he was executed So the "perfume" could be the sweet memories history has for him? Not this

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember some story that recalled a Christian man being burned at the stake during which he sang and there was the smell of something sweet. At all relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember some story that recalled a Christian man being burned at the stake during which he sang and there was the smell of something sweet. Nice story... At all relevant? ... but not at all

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are roses the relevant flower?
Were flowers planted as a result of his death?
Did something happen as a result of his death that would have caused the smell?
Any symbolic representation relevant (e.g. insignias, War of the Roses, etc.)?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are roses the relevant flower? No, there are no relevant flowers. Flowers in general will do
Were flowers planted as a result of his death?
Did something happen as a result of his death that would have caused the smell?
Any symbolic representation relevant (e.g. insignias, War of the Roses, etc.)? No to rest

Post Number: 588
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason for the execution relevant?
Are any physical flowers relevant?
Man's profession relevant?
Political or religious significance of the execution relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the reason for the execution relevant? No, and it has been established already: heresy
Are any physical flowers relevant? Noish
Man's profession relevant? No
Political or religious significance of the execution relevant? No

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Specific location of execution relevant?
Any specific event which occurred during the execution relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Specific location of execution relevant? Very much so, and also the key to the puzzle. Very good question
Any specific event which occurred during the execution relevant? No

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the execution take place in [LTPF list of European countries]?
Something physically present at location relevant?
Name of location relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the execution take place in [LTPF list of European countries]? Italy
Something physically present at location relevant? No
Name of location relevant? Indeed, and only this

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Name of city?
Town or village?
Something else, like a forest or lake?
Does it have "flower" in the name?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Name of city?
Town or village?
Something else, like a forest or lake? Noish, but hard to answer
Does it have "flower" in the name? Flowers, to be exact

Almost there
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention. Unanswered questions above are a 'no'
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it "Campo dei fiori" (Flowers Field), in Rome?

Are you italian, btw? I thought to be only one on LTPF ;-)

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it Field of Flowers in Rome?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it "Campo dei fiori" (Flowers Field), in Rome?
Is it Field of Flowers in Rome?

Indeed it is. And we have also a $poiler below

Are you italian, btw? I thought to be only one on LTPF ;-) No, I'm not. One of the 'fratelli d'Italia', I guess, if I liberaly read the verses of Mameli :=) Or simply one that worked for 6 years for an Italian company

******* SPOILER *******

Giordano Bruno was accused of heresy, put to trial, condemned and executed in Rome, in the Campo de' Fiori, February 1600. The place, formerly a meadow, still hosts -- among others -- a flower market. I remembered this because, as a child, I kept saying to myself (for an unknown reason, maybe phonetical in nature): "Giordano Bruno was burnt at the stake in the Flowers' Square in Rome in AD 1600". Now Il Campo hosts a statue of Bruno in the very place where the execution took place.

Thanks to all who participated and especially to Brian and Mario for the almost simultaneous solve.

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting! Speaking of simultaneous, we both had historical execution puzzles that were solved at the same time by each other. Funny!
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well, I should be supposed to know all that, but I didn't think at all about Giordano Bruno...
Was he a religious btw? I only remember him as a philosopher... :-)

Anyway, nice puzzle!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4832
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one! Sorry I couldn't be around for the end.

To the best of my knowledge, Bruno was a scientist and philosopher. The Catholic Church executed him for advocating both ideas similar to Galileo's and a form of pantheism. I don't know most of the details though.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well, I should be supposed to know all that, but I didn't think at all about Giordano Bruno... Due to my childhood habit, I have a tendency when hearing about someone being burnt at the stake to think about Giordano, who was, and Galileo, who missed it... not without famously uttering 'E pur si muove'
Was he a religious btw? I only remember him as a philosopher... :-) Well, he was a Dominican friar, so I guess you can say that

To the best of my knowledge, Bruno was a scientist and philosopher. The Catholic Church executed him for advocating both ideas similar to Galileo's and a form of pantheism. That's right. Some argue that his pantheism was the main problem, some disagree. Since I am no authority in the matter, I just imagined a puzzle, and let the scholars decide who is right and who is wrong

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: