[Balin] Back in Time Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [Balin] Back in Time « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 5340
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So apparently my cell phone has discovered the secret of time travel.

Explain.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's really a TARDIS or a sonic screwdriver?

(Couldn't resist)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5342
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's really a TARDIS or a sonic screwdriver? Neither =) And I don't watch Doctor Who, but my sister's a fan.

(Couldn't resist)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's really a TARDIS or a sonic screwdriver? Neither =) And I don't watch Doctor Who, but my sister's a fan.
So is mine. We loved the Tenth Doctor best. David Tennant is just awesome. Yes.

Star Trek relevant? Sci-fi at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5344
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Star Trek relevant? No Sci-fi at all? No - the answer is much simpler.

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aww.

The clock on your phone was set wrong?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5347
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The clock on your phone was set wrong? Yes, and I've just now fixed it. This is VERY relevant.

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daylight Savings Time relevant? (Are we on it or not? I always forget)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5349
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daylight Savings Time relevant? (Are we on it or not? I always forget) We are on it, but this is not relevant.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phone broken?
Had the date been correct before?
Was it set wrong automatically?
By accident?
By someone else?
Time zones relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5354
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the phone broken? No
Had the date been correct before? Yes
Was it set wrong automatically? Yes, not really relevant
By accident? No
By someone else? No
Time zones relevant? No

Glad to see you back!
Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does some of your missed/received/done calls or a text message still indicate their hour according to the previous settings (i.e. the wrong one, before you fixed it)?
So that your phone tells you that you've received a call tomorrow morning and you've sent a text message tomorrow evening? :-P
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the time set to a default time? Had the battery been taken out before?

Otherwise, did only the minutes change? Or also the Hour? Day? Month? Year?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5355
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does some of your missed/received/done calls or a text message still indicate their hour according to the previous settings (i.e. the wrong one, before you fixed it)? No, but text messaging is relevant.
So that your phone tells you that you've received a call tomorrow morning and you've sent a text message tomorrow evening? :-P No, but OTRT

Was the time set to a default time? Yes, irr Had the battery been taken out before? Assume no, irr

Otherwise, did only the minutes change? Or also the Hour? Day? Month? Year? Not really relevant - I will simply say that my phone was set about 2 minutes too fast.

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you somehow text yourself?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5361
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you somehow text yourself? No

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An alarm went off at the wrong time, maybe?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5366
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An alarm went off at the wrong time, maybe? No. HINT: The only things relevant about my phone are texting and the slightly-off clock.
Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you talk about time travelling, how "much" does the phone travel? :-) Just these 2 minutes?

Let's try this: you send a text message to someone, and you receive his/her answer. Since your phone was 2 minutes too fast, and the person answers immediately, your phone display the answer before the message you sent, because the time shown on received messages is the one from the sender's phone. Anything like this?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5383
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you talk about time travelling, how "much" does the phone travel? :-) Just these 2 minutes? Yes

Let's try this: you send a text message to someone, and you receive his/her answer. Since your phone was 2 minutes too fast, and the person answers immediately, your phone display the answer before the message you sent, because the time shown on received messages is the one from the sender's phone. Anything like this? Everything like this (with one minor touch-up) - nice leap!

**********SPOILER**********

Whenever someone texts me, my phone records the time the message was received as the time on the sender's phone. However, since my phone is (read: was) two minutes too fast, if I reply right away, the phone records the sent time as coming from my phone, so it appears that I replied to the message before it was sent. My phone has discovered the secret of time travel.

Nice job Mattiel - that was an excellent leap! Kaylee and Potato, you also asked good questions as well. Now take a look at my two older puzzles, and my new one down below, which won't appear randomly in the middle of the list.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: