[gregoryuconn] All Hail Philly Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [gregoryuconn] All Hail Philly « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although I am not a fan of the team, I have reason to root for the Philadelphia Phillies to make the World Series this year. Why?
Visconti (Visconti)
Username: Visconti

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantasy sports relevant?

Do you live in Philly? Do you have faimly that lives in Philly?

Gambling relevant?

Will you get something if they win the World Series? ...something of high monetary value? Will you get anything if they make it to, but end up losing in the World Series?

Are cheesesteak sandwhiches tasty? are they relevant?

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantasy sports relevant? No

Do you live in Philly? Do you have faimly that lives in Philly? no to all

Gambling relevant? no

Will you get something if they win the World Series? ...something of high monetary value? Will you get anything if they make it to, but end up losing in the World Series? There is a possibility I will get a benefit by them making the World Series, regardless of whether they win. Whether this could be considered a "thing" is doubtful however.

Are cheesesteak sandwhiches tasty? are they relevant? cheesesteaks are not relevant at all, but I hear they are yummy.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the benefit: financial? Social? Romantic? Job-related? Silly? Are you a sports fan? Do you sell anything relevant? Are the odds for them making the World Series relevant?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it matter to you if they win? or does it simply matter that they make it to the WS? is the final score of any of the WS games relevant?

Are you rooting for the PP in particular to make it to the WS? Or are you rooting for someone else NOT to make it to the WS?

Is where you live relevant?

Is this a true story?

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the benefit: financial? <no> Social? a little bit, not really Romantic? no Job-related? yope for svv of "job" Silly? no Are you a sports fan? yes, but irrelevant Do you sell anything relevant? no Are the odds for them making the World Series relevant? no

Does it matter to you if they win? no or does it simply matter that they make it to the WS? there would be a better chance of the benefit occurring if there were a specific property of the World Series, but it could happen if the Phillies make it regardless of whether this property occurs is the final score of any of the WS games relevant? no, except where necessary to make the property occur. You should try to find out more about this.

Are you rooting for the PP in particular to make it to the WS? yes Or are you rooting for someone else NOT to make it to the WS? no

Is where you live relevant? no with a very slight -ish that isn't incredibly helpful.

Is this a true story? yes
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you care who plays against the PP?

are you rooting for the series to go a specific number of games? 4? 5? 6? 7?

do other people know you are rooting for the PP to make it to the WS? are other people rooting for this for the same exact reason you are?

is there a chance you would be rooting for the PP to make the WS this exact time next year for the same reason as this year?

are the specific days of the week the game(s) fall on relevant? is the year 2010 relevant? will you know before the end of the game(s) if what you rooted for occured?

If you find out they make it to the WS, do you need to watch any of the WS games to be, uh... fulfilled in whatever it was you were rooting for?

what does svv mean?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what does svv mean? - I think it means 'sufficiently vague value'...like "depending on how you interpret it" but I'll let Gregoryuconn explain if I'm wrong

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you care who plays against the PP? for the purposes of the puzzle, no

are you rooting for the series to go a specific number of games? 4? 5? 6? 7? The length is the relevant property that would effect the chances of getting my benefit. If it were to go 4, there is a chance I would get the benefit. Going 5 would really not increase the chances that much, if at all. Going to a Game 6 would increase my chances significantly, while a 7th game might a little bit, but not really.

do other people know you are rooting for the PP to make it to the WS? assume yes are other people rooting for this for the same exact reason you are? if by "this" you mean the Phillies making the World Series, yesish, you're OTRT.

is there a chance you would be rooting for the PP to make the WS this exact time next year for the same reason as this year? highly unlikely, although similar circumstances could arise either with the Phillies or another team

are the specific days of the week the game(s) fall on relevant? yes to some extent. See above. is the year 2010 relevant? no will you know before the end of the game(s) if what you rooted for occured? yes, but don't make an FA

If you find out they make it to the WS, do you need to watch any of the WS games to be, uh... fulfilled in whatever it was you were rooting for? no

svv means "depending on how you interpret it". The point was, depending on what you mean by "job" either it's yes, or no. So I said "yope for svv of 'job'". Figure out the rest.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 5931
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is mathematics relevant? Betting? Do you know someone on the team? Relevant that the team will have reached the WS for the third straight year?

I'm a Twins fan, so they're my pick. But they've got the Yankees in the first round...let's see what happens.

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a San Francisco Giants fan by family tradition. But I don't know all that much about sports in general, so I won't be too disappointed if someone else gets it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Roy Halladay just threw a no-hitter - second postseason no-no in history. This puzzle must be a good-luck charm.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5999
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you get tickets to a WS game in Philly if the team makes it?

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is mathematics relevant? Betting? Do you know someone on the team? Relevant that the team will have reached the WS for the third straight year? no to all And Roy Halladay just threw a no-hitter - second postseason no-no in history. This puzzle must be a good-luck charm. ooh, I should post one about the Yankees

Would you get tickets to a WS game in Philly if the team makes it? I wouldn't, but...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6020
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't. Twins fan, remember? And I think just mentioning that hurt them - the Yankees scored 4 in the 6th.

Do you know someone who would get tickets to a WS game in Philly if the team makes it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6172
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seriously, if you've got a puzzle about the Yankees, go ahead and post it - I would certainly enjoy it. Even though they won yesterday...*grumble*...

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know someone who would get tickets to a WS game in Philly if the team makes it? yes, explore this.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6248
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now that the Twins are out of it....

Is this person a relative? A friend? Someone who's wanted to go for a long time? To a Phillies game? To a WS game?

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now that the Twins are out of it.... I guess I helped them. Now let's get a Rays and Rangers fan to answer questions so the Yankees will beat one of them in the LCS and hopefully someone will solve this before the WS so it won't help the Phillies.

Is this person a relative? no A friend? no Someone who's wanted to go for a long time? irr To a Phillies game? But if so, it would be this To a WS game? and not this

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SLIGHT ERROR: The person wants to go to a Phillies game. A World Series game would, of course, be the best scenario if it involves the Phillies, but the fact that it is the World Series alone does not make her want to go (ie if it were the Yankees and Braves the person would have no desire to go.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6284
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person's age relevant? H? A? M? Does the person want to go to Philadelphia? And this would be a good reason to go?

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person's age relevant? H? A? M? It is a female. This is irrelevant. The age is not entirely relevant, but there are certain ages that she could not be. Does the person want to go to Philadelphia? And this would be a good reason to go? She wants to see the Phillies play in the World Series. Any desires of hers to see the city are irrelevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6296
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could she be younger than 10? Between 11 and 20? 21-30? 31-40? 41-50? 51-60? 61-70? 71-80? 81-90? 91-100? Or more general: could she be an infant? Child? Teen? Young adult? Middle-aged? Elderly?

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could she be younger than 10? Between 11 and 20? 21-30? 31-40? 41-50? 51-60? 61-70? 71-80? 81-90? 91-100? Or more general: could she be an infant? Child? Teen? Young adult? Middle-aged? Elderly? any age older than about 21 or 22 would work. In her case, she is in her mid-20s. However, one minor detail would have to be changed if she were a bit older. This detail concerns her relationship to me.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6343
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know her personally? Relevant?
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that the drinking age is 21?

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know her personally? What do you mean by "personally"? I have met her and know her in a certain context. I would consider that "personally" but you might not. Find out this context. Relevant?
Relevant that the drinking age is 21? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6402
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she one of your teachers? Does she know a player on the Phillies?

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she one of your teachers? Yes. She is a graduate instructor in my Freshman English class. If she were older, she could still be an instructor but she'd be a professor, not a graduate instructor. So she wouldn't be teaching freshman English, but I could still have her for another course. But the only part of this rant that is actually relevant is that she is a teacher/instructor. Does she know a player on the Phillies? If so, it's not relevant.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6417
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything about your class relevant? The course material? Is the instructor from Philadelphia? A Phillies fan?

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything about your class relevant? Given what I have stated above, there is some relevant aspect of the course. (Hint: It relates to one of the questions I answered on October 6th at 10:10 PM forum time. Second Hint: The content of that response is pretty important. Compare it to a World Series schedule.) The course material? But not this Is the instructor from Philadelphia? The area, but not the city proper... This is not completely relevant. A Phillies fan? Yes.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6506
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the NL has home-field advantage, so the Phils would only be at home for Games 1, 2, 6 (if there is one), and 7 (if there is one) - relevant? Relevant that WS games are played at night?

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the NL has home-field advantage, so the Phils would only be at home for Games 1, 2, 6 (if there is one), and 7 (if there is one) - relevant? definitely! Relevant that WS games are played at night? not particularly.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6568
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of the games in which the Phils have home field are on a Wednesday or Thursday - relevant? Relevant that Games 6 and 7 would be in November?

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of the games in which the Phils have home field are on a Wednesday or Thursday - relevant? yesish Relevant that Games 6 and 7 would be in November? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6592
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she be able to go to Game 1? 2? 6? 7? Is there a school break during those times?

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she be able to go to Game 1? 2? 6? 7? any of these Is there a school break during those times? No, but...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6599
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she not teach the class on Wed/Thurs?

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does she not teach the class on Wed/Thurs? the class meets Mondays and Wednesdays (not Thursdays) Should be easy from here.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6606
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So if the team makes it to the WS, she will be able to attend either a Wed or Thurs game, because she won't have to grade work/prepare lessons/etc - is this it? Is the class in the morning? Afternoon?

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So if the team makes it to the WS, she will be able to attend either a Wed or Thurs game, because she won't have to grade work/prepare lessons/etc - is this it? no, but you're somewhat OTRT Is the class in the morning? Afternoon? This one. 2:00 - 3:45. And keep in mind where I go to school.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6638
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because she will have time after class to make it to Philly? Without having to worry about preparing the next class for a while?

I'm from CT, but have actually never been to Philly.

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because she will have time after class to make it to Philly? No, she won't. It's a 4 hour drive, and class ends at 3:45 so even if she races to her car and there is no traffic whatseover (unlikely) she will get there just before first pitch, and still have to park and get in. So in other words, no, she won't have time after class to make it to Philly. And this is relevant. And now you're close. Without having to worry about preparing the next class for a while? see above
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6689
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she fly there?

Oh, even better idea! Would you not have class that day so she could have time to attend the game?

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would she fly there?

Oh, even better idea! Would you not have class that day so she could have time to attend the game? Bing bing, we have a winner!

****SPOILER****
Basically, by her going to a World Series game (which she acknowledged was a good possibility) I would get out of going to class that day. Precisely, Balin. Good job.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6800
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one!

So now that this is solved, which teams are beling helped by this puzzle?

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not going to say, because that would either make it true or jinx it depending on who I say. That is, if I say Texas is helped, I'll be right. If I say the Yankees will be helped, I'll jinx them.
Therefore, now that I have invoked the power of the jinx, I will say that Texas will be helped. Oh, and Philadelphia will not make the World Series, thus meaning I won't get out of class.
Hopefully this creates a reverse jinx, and since by the Double Negative Jinx Law there is no such thing as a Double Jinx becoming negated, you get the point. But I won't state it or that becomes a separate jinx by virtue of Jinx Law Number 32.5 section A, subsection III, and therefore creating.... you get it.

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about the fact that they're kicking the San Francisco Giants into the dust? (6-1 before I stormed out of the living room, and still going...)

*sigh* Giants, what's the matter with you...:-(
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6921
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, at least your Giants are still in it...my Twins got bounced in 3. Again.

Oh well...at least the Patriots won today. (Wrong sport, I know.)

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poor Balin :-(

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the verdict is...Phillies 6, Giants 1. *Sigh*

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: