Rub a dub Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » Rub a dub « Previous Next »

Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since Balin asked for more "theory" puzzles, here's another.

What is the immersion principle?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

literal immersion = plunging an object into liquid so as to cover it completely?

figurative immersion = studying hard or otherwise absorbing oneself in reading/learning something or keeping busy?

(for example, I've immersed myself in the LTPF all day, but I haven't gotten wet, although my monitor did...)
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

literal immersion = plunging an object into liquid so as to cover it completely?Yes. Well, not completely, but most of it. And I think FA.

figurative immersion = studying hard or otherwise absorbing oneself in reading/learning something or keeping busy?No

(for example, I've immersed myself in the LTPF all day, but I haven't gotten wet, although my monitor did...) I'm curious how...

Post Number: 585
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(for example, I've immersed myself in the LTPF all day, but I haven't gotten wet, although my monitor did...) I'm curious how...

Refer to my "Fruit Loops" puzzle for that one...it needs solving, anyway, it's not quite done.

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, FA...because I said "object"? Was the immersed "thing" having to do with the principle rather a person? Animal? Or is the FA that it doesn't matter whether it's an object or a living thing?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, FA...because I said "object"?Yes Was the immersed "thing" having to do with the principle rather a person?Yes Animal? Or is the FA that it doesn't matter whether it's an object or a living thing?No
Lordofthegeeks1000 (Lordofthegeeks1000)
Username: Lordofthegeeks1000

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the "thing" is not immersed completely? Does the theory have to do with the part of the "thing" not immersed? Does it have to do with how much is immersed?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6261
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person in a tub? Archimedes relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that the "thing" is not immersed completely?Only in that the "thing" (which we've established is a person) would not be able to stay fully submerged in water for a significant amount of time--unless he had a snorkel that is. Does the theory have to do with the part of the "thing" not immersed?No Does it have to do with how much is immersed?Yope

Is the person in a tub?Yes Archimedes relevant?No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6274
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Toes/fingers getting wrinkly relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Toes/fingers getting wrinkly relevant?No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6278
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Length of a bath relevant? Water temperature? Height of the water level?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Length of a bath relevant? Water temperature? Height of the water level? No to all, except maybe with an -ish to "length" and "water level".
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soap relevant? Suds? Other stuff you put into a bathtub? Waves? Spilling water over the edge?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soap relevant? Suds? Other stuff you put into a bathtub? Waves? Spilling water over the edge? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6331
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How much of the body is actually in the tub?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6332
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That question is kind of ambiguous - I mean "Is it relevant how much of the body is in the tub", not "Can you tell me how much of the body is in the tub".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6333
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That question is kind of ambiguous - I mean "Is it relevant how much of the body is in the tub", not "Can you tell me how much of the body is in the tub".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6334
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And sorry for the bold/double post.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant how much of the body is in the tub?As I answered before, Yope. The principle, as I heard it, was of the form "When one is fully immersed in the bath, ___________", where "fully" is taken to mean "as far as one ever will be". One could, without much loss of precision, say "when one has started to bathe", and then the level of immersion is never mentioned.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6373
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...they will realize they have forgotten a towel? Or clothes to change into? And have to walk dripping to get it?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...they will realize they have forgotten a towel? Or clothes to change into? And have to walk dripping to get it? No to all, but that's at least as good a theory as the real one, in my opinion.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6377
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...someone will desperately need to use the bathroom? Or they will desperately need to use the bathroom?

...the phone will ring?

...the doorbell will ring?

...someone will knock on the door?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...someone will desperately need to use the bathroom? Or they will desperately need to use the bathroom?

...the phone will ring? This!

...the doorbell will ring?

...someone will knock on the door?

*************SPOILER************************

The immersion principle: At the moment when someone is fully submerged in a bathtub, the phone will ring.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: