[Balin] Open Your Eyes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Balin] Open Your Eyes « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6454
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will always regret paying such close attention to the music.

True story, I = me (Balin)
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

particular musical event relevant? Paying attention as in listening to music? Reading musical sheets?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? If so, is it a quote from a movie? If so, relevant?
Gameczar (Gameczar)
Username: Gameczar

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say "to the music", the tune? or the lyrics?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6461
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

particular musical event relevant? Yes Paying attention as in listening to music? Yes, and... Reading musical sheets? No

Is the title relevant? Yesish If so, is it a quote from a movie? No - it's a song title. If so, relevant? Not really

When you say "to the music", the tune? or the lyrics? Both, and...
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you actively engaged in another activity while listening to the music? Was the activity potentially dangerous?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, good. I was afraid I might know the answer, or at least pretty close to it, and was trying to rule it out. Now I've done that and can continue to participate. Yay!

Listening to the music and...singing it? playing it?

Is a musical relevant? An opera?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, one more. Listening to the music and...dancing to it?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you end up with a scrund? Is one relevant? Did you end up with a negative impression of something? Someone?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you paying attention to a particular instrument? A particular part of the song? Live music? Or recorded? Did you hear something you didn't want to? That you can't unhear? That will keep bugging you every time you hear the song? That will, after we solve the puzzle, be bugging LTPFers as well?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6481
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you actively engaged in another activity while listening to the music? DOYD of "activity" Was the activity potentially dangerous? No

Listening to the music and...singing it? playing it? Neither

Is a musical relevant? An opera? Neither

Sorry, one more. Listening to the music and...dancing to it? No

Did you end up with a scrund? Is one relevant? Did you end up with a negative impression of something? Someone? No to all

Were you paying attention to a particular instrument? No A particular part of the song? No Live music? YES - the other "activity" was watching the musician play. Or recorded? Did you hear something you didn't want to? That you can't unhear? That will keep bugging you every time you hear the song? That will, after we solve the puzzle, be bugging LTPFers as well? No to the rest of these
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3466
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the musician HAM? HAF? Did you regret paying close attention to him/her playing? Relevant what instrument (s)he was playing? Playback relevant? Other trickery or fakery? Skill level of musician relevant? Music genre relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6487
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the musician HAM? This but irrel HAF? Did you regret paying close attention to him/her playing? Yes Relevant what instrument (s)he was playing? Playback relevant? Other trickery or fakery? Skill level of musician relevant? Music genre relevant? None of these are relevant.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you: see something you didn't want to? Miss something else you'd rather have seen? Or heard? Or experienced? Did someone steal your wallet?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6493
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you: see something you didn't want to? Miss something else you'd rather have seen? This Or heard? Or experienced? Did someone steal your wallet? Thankfully, no.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you miss seeing: a person? An object? A situation? Fireworks? Did something awesome happen, but you missed it? Something everybody were talking about afterwards?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the music distract you from something?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6497
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you miss seeing: a person? Two people An object? A situation? But also this Fireworks? Did something awesome happen, but you missed it? This is VERY true Something everybody were talking about afterwards? As is this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6498
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the music distract you from something? Not really
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two people near where the music was being played? Were you seated while listening to/watching the music? Standing? Lying down?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the "Situation" something the "Two People" would not have wanted you to see?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6515
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two people near where the music was being played? Yes Were you seated while listening to/watching the music? This Standing? Lying down?

Was the "Situation" something the "Two People" would not have wanted you to see? Probably not, but possible. And this puzzle is G-rated.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(I didn't mean to imply that it was other than G-Rated. For example, my son might not want me to see him punching his sister.)
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what the "Two People" were doing related to the music?

Did you in fact open your eyes Physically to see it? Metaphorically? Existentially?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6533
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(I didn't mean to imply that it was other than G-Rated. For example, my son might not want me to see him punching his sister.) Good point - I was just making sure no one interpreted it that way.

Was what the "Two People" were doing related to the music? Not really

Did you in fact open your eyes Physically to see it? Metaphorically? Existentially? Hmmm...let me put it this way: because I was watching the musician, I didn't see the other thing, even though it happened about 10 feet from me, which I will always regret missing.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what the "Two People" were doing related to the location, aka venue?

Would it have still happened if they had been in another place?

Did the the "Two People" do it on purpose?

If you had seen it would your reaction have been:
Laugh?
Cry?
Be afraid?
Be startled?
Be excited?
Be interested in joining?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6541
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what the "Two People" were doing related to the location, aka venue? No

Would it have still happened if they had been in another place? Likely

Did the the "Two People" do it on purpose? Definitely

If you had seen it would your reaction have been:
Laugh?
Cry? Probably this...
Be afraid?
Be startled?
Be excited? ...and definitely this.
Be interested in joining? None of the rest
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were/Are either of the two people famous? Both famous?

Was what the "Two People" did: illegal, skillful, dangerous, shocking?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6547
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were/Are either of the two people famous? Both famous? Neither

Was what the "Two People" did: illegal, skillful, dangerous, shocking? None of these
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did/do you know the "two people" personally?

Did the "two people" tell you about the incident after you missed it?

Were you sad that it happened?

Were the "two people" sad that it happened?

Did what happened have any lasting effect on the "two people"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6551
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did/do you know the "two people" personally? No

Did the "two people" tell you about the incident after you missed it? No, but someone else did.

Were you sad that it happened? No

Were the "two people" sad that it happened? No

Did what happened have any lasting effect on the "two people"? Oh, yes.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the effect was: Physical, Emotional, Financial, Destroyed Reputation, Employment Effected, Loss of Property, Loss of Dignity, Loss of Sanity, Loss of Hair?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6555
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the effect was: Physical, Emotional, Mainly this. Financial, Destroyed Reputation, Employment Effected, Loss of Property, Loss of Dignity, Loss of Sanity, Loss of Hair?

HINT: A simple background question about the two people will make this a WHOLE lot easier.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap the "two people" are not famous. You (Balin) do not know them personally. They did something G-Rated. What they did was not related to the venue or the music. But what they did had a lasting effect on them.

Were the people strangers to you? If not did you know them by association from: school, work, family, prison, World of Warcraft, church?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6559
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap the "two people" are not famous. You (Balin) do not know them personally. They did something G-Rated. What they did was not related to the venue or the music. But what they did had a lasting effect on them. All correct.

Were the people strangers to you? Yes If not did you know them by association from: school, work, family, prison, World of Warcraft, church?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two people: babies, toddlers, children, tweens, teens, adults, elderly, old farts, dead, the undead, robots, terminators, monsters, aliens, or worse politicians?

Were the two people: both male, both female or male and female or email?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6561
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the two people: babies, toddlers, children, tweens, teens, adults, elderly, old farts, dead, the undead, robots, terminators, monsters, aliens, or worse politicians? Both were about 21.

Were the two people: both male, both female or male and female or email? One male, one female.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was alcohol involved?
Were they a couple, aka more than friends?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By G-rated, do you mean Barney the Dinosaur G-rated or family appropriate but not necessarily stupidly babyish G-rated?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did one of the two people ask the other one to marry them?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6572
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was alcohol involved? No
Were they a couple, aka more than friends? Yes...

By G-rated, do you mean Barney the Dinosaur G-rated or family appropriate but not necessarily stupidly babyish G-rated? The latter

Did one of the two people ask the other one to marry them? We have a winner!

**********SPOILER**********

I was at a concert at a coffee shop on campus a few weeks ago. I was focused on the musician and music when suddenly, one person in the front row turned and ran to the back of the room. (I was near the back of the room, by the way.) Then another followed...then another...then another, before finally there was a crowd of people gathered in the back. Finally I turned to see what was going on, but could not do so because of the crowd. When the song stopped, the singer announced that two people had just gotten engaged. (I don't know if he saw it or someone told him; I suspect the latter, because he announced their full names.) Instantly I was filled with both happiness and regret - happiness because this was undoubtedly one of, if not the, happiest moments of their lives, but regret because a couple had gotten engaged - not 10 feet away from me - and I missed it.

After the concert, the crowd (of course) lingered; I simply congratulated the couple and left. That story was talked about for a little while on campus after that, but I will always regret missing it.

Nice leap, Ixoye, and nice work to everyone (especially Gameczar) who helped piece this all together.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grats, Ixoye. I never asked the question, was the venue indoors. The whole time I had it in my mind that it was outdoors. That FA was misleading my thinking.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Every now and then when you make a lateral jump you actually stick the landing perfectly - great puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: