[Woodworm] Tout va bien Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Woodworm] Tout va bien « Previous Next »

Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have vabbed as a child.

If you were to vab as an adult, you might well get reported.

One thing's pretty certain: no-one has ever vabbed successfully.

What is vabbing?

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing have anything to do with:
Stealing? (confession: I picked a saltwater taffy out of the bulk candy bin in the store when I was 4 and ate it when no one was looking. 21 years later, if I tried it, I'm sure I'd be caught)

Modesty? (I'm sure running around naked stops being cute at some point after early childhood...*snicker*)

Although I don't know how you may have done something as a child, but not done it successfully...*is stumped*
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reported as in reported to the authorities? Can you vab inside? Outside? Can you vab alone? Can a male vab? A woman? Can a blind man vab? A deaf one? Is it a crime to vab as an adult? Is it true that you can only try to vab, given the fact that successfull vabbing is not an option? Does it require stealing something?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing have anything to do with:
Stealing? no (confession: I picked a saltwater taffy out of the bulk candy bin in the store when I was 4 and ate it when no one was looking. 21 years later, if I tried it, I'm sure I'd be caught) You naughty thing! I had to google the Saltwater Taffy: my poor British brain was boggling again

Modesty? (I'm sure running around naked stops being cute at some point after early childhood...*snicker*) modesty isn't relevant, no

Although I don't know how you may have done something as a child, but not done it successfully...*is stumped* well, this is the first post, after all ...

Reported as in reported to the authorities? no Can you vab inside? yes Outside? yes Can you vab alone? yes Can a male vab? yes A woman? yes Can a blind man vab? VERY unlikely, if technically possible A deaf one? yes, sure Is it a crime to vab as an adult? not at all Is it true that you can only try to vab, given the fact that successfull vabbing is not an option? yes, or at least, vabbing involves trying in vain Does it require stealing something? no

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*huggles* Sorry to boggle your poor British brain, Woodworm. If it's any consolation, before visiting Cornwall I thought fudge only came in chocolate and chocolate-plus-something-else flavors...now I know it can be made in just as many flavors as the aforementioned saltwater taffy.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*huggles* Sorry to boggle your poor British brain, Woodworm. If it's any consolation, before visiting Cornwall I thought fudge only came in chocolate and chocolate-plus-something-else flavors...now I know it can be made in just as many flavors as the aforementioned saltwater taffy. Yes, and the French have wonderful salt toffees as well. It was just the name I hadn't seen before.

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, I didn't know the French had them. I'm familiar with French chocolate, though. I prefer Cadbury, though. British is my favorite. =D
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to a game? A sport? Title relevant? Is 'vab' an acronym? Is vabbing "trying in vain to do something" or is more like "no matter how much you try to vab, you won't succeed"? (This sounds confusing even to me). Do you need an object to vab? Can you vab at night? In the dark? During the day? While asleep? While playing the trombone? (Ha!) Do people vab (or try to vab, as per answers to the question above) for fun? Is religion involved? Fairy tales?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it related to a game? nope A sport? no Title relevant? not in the slightest, except in that it contains 'vab' Is 'vab' an acronym? no: it's a random made-up word Is vabbing "trying in vain to do something" or is more like "no matter how much you try to vab, you won't succeed"? (This sounds confusing even to me). it's the first one: to vab is to attempt to do something Do you need an object to vab? for svv of 'object', yes Can you vab at night? yes In the dark? perhaps not if it's pitch black During the day? yes While asleep? VERY unlikely While playing the trombone? (Ha!) Mind your own buisines! Sorry, couldn't resist ... actually you could vab while playing the trombone, but it would be a deeply eccentric thing to do.

Do people vab (or try to vab, as per answers to the question above) for fun? largely so Is religion involved? no Fairy tales? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing require that any part of the body be in motion? Does it require any noise to be made?
When a child vabs, is it likely because they've seen an adult(s) attempt the same thing?
Can fictional characters correctly do what vabbing attempts to do? Superheroes, maybe?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing require that any part of the body be in motion? hmmmm ... I'd say not, actually Does it require any noise to be made? no

When a child vabs, is it likely because they've seen an adult(s) attempt the same thing? unlikely!

Can fictional characters correctly do what vabbing attempts to do? no Superheroes, maybe? good question: no
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The object you need: is it tangible? Is it alive? Is it a concept, an idea, a musical note?

You cannot do it because: is it impossible to be done (objectively)? is it impossible in those specific circumstances? Is is impossible because the law of physics prevent it, or are some man-made rules that make it "impossible"? (like that you cannot make a break over 147 in snooker)? Can you vab in any country? Could you vab in Roman times? In the 19th century?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the 'reported' adult be reported, say, to local or national media?
Does vabbing involve impersonating another person? an animal? an object?
So vabbing can be done without motion or noise - is it simply thinking about something? Looking at something (since a blind person couldn't do it)?
Staring?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The object you need: is it tangible? yes Is it alive? yes! Is it a concept, an idea, a musical note? no to these

You cannot do it because: is it impossible to be done (objectively)? yes is it impossible in those specific circumstances? in any circumstances as far as I know

Is is impossible because the law of physics prevent it, or are some man-made rules that make it "impossible"? neither of these: the first being closer but still not close

(like that you cannot make a break over 147 in snooker)? no, nothing like this ... actually I read somewhere that you can make more than 147, and I recall it was a bit of a lateral puzzle to work out how. Can you vab in any country? sure! Could you vab in Roman times? certainly: vabo, vabis, vabit ... In the 19th century? indeed
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing involve an animal? insect? a second person? third person? fourth or more persons?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the 'reported' adult be reported, say, to local or national media? or even international media, which is where I saw it ...

Does vabbing involve impersonating another person? no an animal? no, but an animal certainly features! an object? no
So vabbing can be done without motion or noise - is it simply thinking about something? no Looking at something (since a blind person couldn't do it)? yes, and particularly ...
Staring? Yes!

Almost there now!
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does vabbing involve an animal? yes: sorry we cross-posted insect? a second person? third person? fourth or more persons? no to rest, though
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goats? Is vabbing the act of staring at a goat in an attempt to kill the goat, which the US Military actually did research on to see if this would work and found that it didn't work?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it trying to stare in the eyes of another animal, trying to 'hypnotise' it? Or make him more submissive? Is one staring at the animal? Is it relevant what kind of animal? If so: mammal? bird? fish? reptile? (Trying to hypnotize Kaa cames to my mind).

About snooker, I know you can win a frame by more than 147-0 and this is normal, but a break... should be a good lateral puzzle
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goats? Is vabbing the act of staring at a goat in an attempt to kill the goat, which the US Military actually did research on to see if this would work and found that it didn't work? aaah ... I really, really wish this was the answer! but no ... it's not just staring at something, but specifically ...

... and, because you're now so close, I may have to veto the LTPF list of animals!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Staring at an animal to see which one of you blinks first? And the impossibility is due to the fact that the animal doesn't have eyelids or is otherwise unable to blink?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it trying to stare in the eyes of another animal, trying to 'hypnotise' it? sooooo close ... Or make him more submissive? no Is one staring at the animal? yes Is it relevant what kind of animal? indeed If so: mammal? bird? fish? reptile? this ... (Trying to hypnotize Kaa cames to my mind).

About snooker, I know you can win a frame by more than 147-0 and this is normal, but a break... should be a good lateral puzzle I seem to remember that the free ball rule comes into play somewhere and that it's really complicated. I may be wrong, snooker's not really my game
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Staring at an animal to see which one of you blinks first? And the impossibility is due to the fact that the animal doesn't have eyelids or is otherwise unable to blink? YAY! Enough already, and on to the:

*** SPOILER ***

Vab (v.i.) to try to outstare a snake.

I've seen kids doing this at the zoo. It doesn't work, because these critters have no eyelids.

This was actually reported by the wonderful website notalwaysright.com, where a grown man tried to outstare a snake for several minutes and attracted quite a crowd ... as well as the fame of being pasted all over the interwebz.

Thanks for playing and congrats for a super-quick solve!
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crocodile? Lizard? Turtle? Snake?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too late... Thanks for a nice puzzle
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle idea! Maybe this guy will move on to staring at goats now since he can't make a snake blink...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... and now I just have to see that movie.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: