[Balin] I should not be up this late Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Balin] I should not be up this late « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6578
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While trying to figure out something about him, I wondered if he'd go to the same extreme as that other guy. But would he be willing to pay the price...?

Can you explain my semi-incoherent rambling?

Him = he #1 = he #2 = HTM
That other guy = HAM
And I really should not be up this late...going to bed now.
Gameczar (Gameczar)
Username: Gameczar

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is HIM the son of OTHER GUY?

Is the SOMETHING, physical, logical, psychological, metaphysical, pathological, ideological?

Was the EXTREME, illegal, immoral, sinful, dangerous, anti-social, or involve McDonald's "Food"?

Did THE OTHER guy pay a price for going to the EXTREME?

Are you really up that late, or simply up too early for tomorrow?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6586
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is HIM the son of OTHER GUY? No

Is the SOMETHING, physical, logical, psychological, metaphysical, pathological, ideological? None of these, really - I'm not sure exactly how it would be described.

Was the EXTREME, illegal, immoral, sinful, dangerous, anti-social, or involve McDonald's "Food"? No to all. However, the first and last guesses are laterally relevant.

Did THE OTHER guy pay a price for going to the EXTREME? Yope

Are you really up that late, or simply up too early for tomorrow? Both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6588
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: "Did THE OTHER guy pay a price for going to the EXTREME?" should be "Yes and Yope".
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call HIM Moses and THE OTHER GUY Francis?
"pay a price" = pay money? A lot of it? Face punishment? Injury? Death?
So Moses was trying to figure out something about himself? (yeah, that was bad grammar by you.) Did Francis try to figure out that thing about himself? Or about Moses?
Did Francis "pay a price" for trying to find out the "something" (about whoever it was) but in a different way than Moses?
Is it relevant whether Moses actually was willing to pay the price?
If Moses was willing to pay the price to find out that thing about himself, would he necessarily do so? Could he potentially be forced to against his will?

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and what's HTM? Human Transvestite male?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6597
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call HIM Moses and THE OTHER GUY Francis? Sure
"pay a price" = pay money? Yes, but don't focus on this part. A lot of it? Face punishment? Yope Injury? Death?
So Moses was trying to figure out something about himself? No - I - as in Balin - was trying to figure out something about Moses. (yeah, that was bad grammar by you.) Did Francis try to figure out that thing about himself? Or about Moses? No to both
Did Francis "pay a price" Yes/Yope for trying to find out the "something" No - he knew the "something" (about whoever it was) but in a different way than Moses? No
Is it relevant whether Moses actually was willing to pay the price? Not really
If Moses was willing to pay the price to find out that thing about himself, See above would he necessarily do so? I doubt it Could he potentially be forced to against his will? Not likely

Oh, and what's HTM? Human Transvestite male? Human, Teen, Male

This whole set of questions has made me laugh, but I can't say why...it would ruin the puzzle.
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the extreme actually considered extreme for the other guy?
Was the other guy Jesus?

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bible relevant? Transsexuals?

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, sorry. Just got some more thoughts.
If Moses were to go to the same extreme as Francis, would he do so for the same reason? Would he pay the same price?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6612
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the extreme actually considered extreme for the other guy? Possibly, but outsiders would more than likely consider it extreme.
Was the other guy Jesus? No

Bible relevant? Transsexuals? Neither

Oops, sorry. Just got some more thoughts.
If Moses were to go to the same extreme as Francis, would he do so for the same reason? Yes, if a certain thing was the same. Would he pay the same price? Possibly

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would knowing why my first set of questions amused you help solve the puzzle? If so, is it because Moses is in fact Jewish? A rabbi? The Pope? An Anti-Semite? Same questions for Francis? Setting relevant? [LTPF list of continents and centuries]?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6644
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would knowing why my first set of questions amused you help solve the puzzle? Yes If so, is it because Moses is in fact Jewish? A rabbi? The Pope? An Anti-Semite? Not the middle two, very unlikely the fourth, and I don't know the first. Same questions for Francis? All irrel for Francis. Setting relevant? Yes [LTPF list of continents and centuries]? North America (USA), and the part about Francis happened in the 20th century, but my rambling thoughts came to be about two days ago.
Gameczar (Gameczar)
Username: Gameczar

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any religion relevant?

Is the SOMETHING you were trying to figure out: about: his character, his thinking, his actions, his attractive sister?

Do you want fries with that?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6682
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any religion relevant? No

Is the SOMETHING you were trying to figure out: about: his character, his thinking, his actions, his attractive sister? None of these - I don't even know if he has a sister.

Do you want fries with that? Soitenly - preferably Chick-Fil-A waffle fries or any fries from Five Guys, thank you.

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait.... So this problem would work if Francis were the Pope? Can we call him Pope Frankie XIV then?
Does anyone relevantly die in this puzzle? Moses? Francis/Pope Frankie XIV? Is Moses a real person? Francis/Pope Frankie XIV?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6697
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait.... So this problem would work if Francis were the Pope? Well, actually no. It was a BLOOPER calling that irrelevant - he's neither a rabbi nor the Pope, but the other two are unknown. Can we call him Pope Frankie XIV then? But we can still do this
Does anyone relevantly die in this puzzle? No Moses? Francis/Pope Frankie XIV? Neither Is Moses a real person? Yes *stifles laughter* Francis/Pope Frankie XIV? Yes
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses you?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6703
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses you? Not me, but...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses someone else on LTPF? Someone you know in real life? A relative of yours?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6712
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses someone else on LTPF? YES! Someone you know in real life? No A relative of yours? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses someone who has posted to this puzzle thread already?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6716
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moses someone who has posted to this puzzle thread already? Yes...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it gregoryuconn? Both times you laughed were when he asked questions.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6720
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it gregoryuconn? Both times you laughed were when he asked questions. Exactly so!
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your connecting Moses to Francis have something to do with Moses's (Gregory's) name? First name? Last name? Username? Occupation? School? Age? Location? None of the above?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6722
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your connecting Moses to Francis have something to do with Moses's (Gregory's) name? Yes... First name? Last name? ...more specifically, this. No to rest. Username? Occupation? School? Age? Location? None of the above?

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, how do you know my last name?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 720
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The same way I do or anybody can, it's in your profile. :D

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, so is Pope Frankie XIV:
A person with the surname Koch?
Specifically, Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch?
Some person with that surname who got fed up with people vulgarly (and often intentionally) mispronouncing his last name and killed someone who did so? (I haven't heard of this happening, though I have wanted to at times.)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And for the record Moses (aka me) is in fact Jewish.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6794
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, so is Pope Frankie XIV:
A person with the surname Koch? Yes
Specifically, Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch? No
Some person with that surname who got fed up with people vulgarly (and often intentionally) mispronouncing his last name Neither vulgarly nor intentionally, but Yes and killed someone who did so? No (I haven't heard of this happening, though I have wanted to at times.) Well, you are right in that I was trying to figure out how to pronounce your last name - "Kotch", "Coke", "Cook", or something else entirely.

And for the record Moses (aka me) is in fact Jewish. And you named him - yourself - Moses...unintentional foreshadowing?

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is in fact a road in my home city called Koch...I think it's Koch Lane...and my mother pronounces it "Coke". I have no idea if that would be right.

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of different ways to pronounce it. Mine is "Kotch". But "Coke", "Cook" and the German "Koch" with the "ch" pronounced as in "Bach" which has its own variations. But you can use your imagination for the vulgar pronunciations, most of which are names of similar-sounding genitalia.

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyway, now for my questions:
So Pope Frankie XIV has the surname Koch. Is he someone you know personally? A famous person? Was he in the news? And Pope Frankie XIV went to the extreme in North America in the 20th century. Did he do so in [LTPF list of North American Countries]? [LTPF List of Decades in the 1900s]? Is the fact that he had the surname Koch in any way relevant other than that it is also my (Moses's) surname?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6814
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of different ways to pronounce it. Mine is "Kotch". In that case, you might go to the same extreme, but you would not "pay the price" he did. And that's a HINT.

Anyway, now for my questions:
So Pope Frankie XIV has the surname Koch. Yes Is he someone you know personally? No A famous person? No Was he in the news? Only the weird news files. And Pope Frankie XIV went to the extreme in North America in the 20th century. Yes Did he do so in [LTPF list of North American Countries]? United States. To save you from invoking the LTPF list of states, it was in Vermont. [LTPF List of Decades in the 1900s]? 1980s Is the fact that he had the surname Koch in any way relevant other than that it is also my (Moses's) surname? The pronunciation of his last name is relevant, so Yes.

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pronounce his last name "Kotch"? "Coke"? "Cook"? "Koch" (with the ch as in "Bach")? Some other way?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6842
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he pronounce his last name "Kotch"? "Coke"? This "Cook"? "Koch" (with the ch as in "Bach")? Some other way?

Post Number: 754
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he possibly the Koch that Koch Lane is named for in San Jose? (If he's famous enough, I wouldn't doubt it. I've been trying to figure out who Koch Lane is named for...If it's not him, I'll just decide it's named after gregoryuconn and say it Kotch Lane just to be rebellious. :P)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6846
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he possibly the Koch that Koch Lane is named for in San Jose? No

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he decide to use Coke (either Coca-Cola or cocaine?) to live up to his name? Coca-cola relevant at all? Cocaine? Did he sue Coca-Cola for name infringement?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6853
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he decide to use Coke (either Coca-Cola or cocaine?) to live up to his name? Yope Coca-cola relevant at all? Yes Cocaine? No Did he sue Coca-Cola for name infringement? Other way round...

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coca-cola sued him for name infringement? Did he try to change the spelling of his last name to "Coke"? "Coca-cola"? Did he claim he was the Coke that Coke was named for?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6855
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coca-cola sued him for name infringement? Yessiree Did he try to change the spelling of his last name to "Coke"? This, and a little bit more. "Coca-cola"? Did he claim he was the Coke that Coke was named for? No, but this puzzle has now reached the point of

**********SPOILER**********

After receiving a confirmation email about the potential spoiler on one of Gregoryuconn's puzzles ("Beer for two"), I started trying to figure out how to pronounce his last name (Koch) - was it "Kotch", "Coke", "Cook", or something else? That reminded me of...

...the story of one Frederick Koch ("Coke"), who, tired of having his last name mispronounced, legally changed his name to "Frederick Coke-Is-It". Coca-Cola filed an appeal to stop the name change, claiming trademark infringement, but they settled out of court. The details of the settlement are unknown, except that Mr. Koch - er, Mr. Coke-is-it - got to keep his new name.

So the puzzle statement could be reworded as follows:

While trying to figure out something about him, (how to pronounce Gregoryuconn's last name) I wondered if he'd go to the same extreme (changing his name) as that other guy. (Mr. Coke-Is-It) But would he be willing to pay the price (having a lawsuit filed against him) ...?

Nice work, everyone, especially Gregoryuconn - the subject of this puzzle - for working through it and taking it down. And now I know - it's "Kotch".

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I think I heard that story at some point. Pretty amusing. I once called every Greg(ory) Koch I could find online (including a rock guitarist, a beer brewer, and a relationship advice specialist) who I found on google to complain that they were using my name in vain.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6860
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...but were they all pronounced the same?

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, guitarist is Kotch, I'm not sure what beer guy is, and relationship advice guy is "Cook".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: