[Rbruma] Ca va... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Rbruma] Ca va... « Previous Next »

Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 683
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great minds think alike
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were about to post a puzzle about outstaring snakes?

Hmmm ... maybe not. Is the title relevant?

Is yours one of the great minds? A real-life coincidence?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were about to post a puzzle about outstaring snakes? Not this time

Hmmm ... maybe not. Is the title relevant? Vaguely. It will make sense only in the $poiler, I suppose

Is yours one of the great minds? Not even in my dreams A real-life coincidence? I am not sure what you mean. Let's try a ... yope? Or maybe please rephrase
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there two 'great minds' to be deduced?

Both of whom thought of something similar? Perhaps at different times, and in different contexts?

Are they real people? Historical figures?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there two 'great minds' to be deduced? Yes

Both of whom thought of something similar? Yope Perhaps at different times, and in different contexts? Indeed

Are they real people? Yes Historical figures? They are known. I do not know exactly the definition of a historical figure
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the context of the puzzle, does 'ca va' mean:

that is going to ... ?
how are you?
I'm ok, thanks?

Are the people male? female? one of each?

Are they still alive? Dead? One of each?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the context of the puzzle, does 'ca va' mean:

that is going to ... ?
how are you?
I'm ok, thanks?

In the context where this is said, it means 'that's just fine'. But this bears no direct relevance to the puzzle

Are the people male? This one female? one of each?

Are they still alive? Only in our memory Dead? Very much so One of each?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two guys know each other?

Can we call them Mr A and Mr B, for now?

Is Mr A:

an artist?
poet?
philosopher?
rock star?
religious figure?

Same qq for Mr B.

Century of death of each guy [integers from 1 to 21]?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two guys know each other? No and a bit of FA

Can we call them Mr A and Mr B, for now? Sure

Is Mr A:

an artist? Yes
poet?
philosopher?
rock star?
religious figure? none of the rest

Same qq for Mr B. Also an artist, I'd say, and a poet

Century of death of each guy [integers from 1 to 21]? Both 20
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6731
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible $poyler emailed.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Guy' contains an FA? Is either of these people a child? Or a non-human [poetry-writing] male?
:-)

Is Mr A a visual artist? A painter? Sculptor?

Is B primarily remembered as a poet? An artist? A musician? Or one of those Renaissance men like, er, Kurt Cobain? ;-)

Did either person say something memorable? An aphorism of sorts?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 706
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the "two guys" in fact both males? Is one female? Are both? If so is the combination properly Mr. A and Mrs. B?
Mrs. A and Mr. B?
Mrs. A and Mrs. B?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 691
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible $poyler incorrect
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6735
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, on to the questions!

Were A and B alive at the same time? Did they live in the same area?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Guy' contains an FA? Is either of these people a child? Or a non-human [poetry-writing] male?
:-) No, both are HAM. The FA was that they were actually able to know each other

Is Mr A a visual artist? Yes and more specifically... A painter? ... this one Sculptor?
Is B primarily remembered as a poet? This, for some... An artist? A musician? While mostly this, for the majority Or one of those Renaissance men like, er, Kurt Cobain? ;-) No, my Renaissance knowledge revolves more around Dante and Petrarca

Did either person say something memorable? Possibly An aphorism of sorts? I don't think so, although I can recite some of Mr. B's 'poems'

Are the "two guys" in fact both males? Yes Is one female? Are both? If so is the combination properly Mr. A and Mrs. B?
Mrs. A and Mr. B?
Mrs. A and Mrs. B?

So no to the rest
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 693
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were A and B alive at the same time? No Did they live in the same area? Noish
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two men come up with a similar idea at different times? Are we looking for a specific painting? Or a specific song? Was B a songwriter, in fact? A rock songwriter? Was something in a song actually prefigured in a painting? Or vice versa?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the two men come up with a similar idea at different times? Yope Are we looking for a specific painting? Some paintings are relevant to some extent, but this might be grossly misleading Or a specific song? No Was B a songwriter, in fact? Yes! and also a singer A rock songwriter? No, rock is beyond my expertise Was something in a song actually prefigured in a painting? Or vice versa? No to both
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok: a dead, non-rock, poetic singer-songwriter of the C20th. Let's try:

Irving Berlin?
Cole Porter?
Gershwin?
Brel?
Brassens?
Jake Thackray?
Noel Coward?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6736
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was B a folk musician? Classical? Opera? Country? Metal? Rap? Rock? Pop? Alternative? Techno? Electronic? [LTPF list of music genres]?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming this isn't about songwriters who reference painters and their work (it can't be 'Vincent' in any case, as he didn't make it to the C20th, and the only other one I know was about matchstalk cats and dogs)? What about the painter? Was he a surrealist? A post-impressionist? Jolly neo-plasticist? Bundle-of-fun suprematist? Happy-go-lucky cubist? Please tell me it isn't Jack the Dripper, or else I might have to leave the puzzle and go get a beer.

I hope it was Picasso.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was B a folk musician? Classical? Opera? Country? Metal? Rap? Rock? Pop? I think this is close, but might mislead. Anyway, I have no idea of other 'species of music' Alternative? Techno? Electronic? [LTPF list of music genres]?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok: a dead, non-rock, poetic singer-songwriter of the C20th. Let's try:

Irving Berlin?
Cole Porter?
Gershwin?
Brel? That's our guy!
Brassens?
Jake Thackray?
Noel Coward?

I'm assuming this isn't about songwriters who reference painters and their work (it can't be 'Vincent' in any case, as he didn't make it to the C20th, and the only other one I know was about matchstalk cats and dogs)? What about the painter? Was he a surrealist? A post-impressionist? This one! Jolly neo-plasticist? Bundle-of-fun suprematist? Happy-go-lucky cubist? Please tell me it isn't Jack the Dripper, or else I might have to leave the puzzle and go get a beer. Save one for me. I have one left and I don't feel like going buying another at 01:00 AM

I hope it was Picasso. No...
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 697
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Short recap: The two great minds were the Belgian Jacques Brel -- one of my favourite singers / songwriters -- and Paul Gauguin, the famous post-impressionist French painter and the close friend of Vincent van Gogh. Now how come they thought alike?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6738
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drat - I know almost nothing about Gauguin, and absolutely nothing about Brel.

Were they both pioneers in their field? Considered crazy/eccentric/out of style by contemporaries?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! This puzzle has taste ...

Okies, we have to connect Jacques Brel with a post-impressionist. A really, really famous one? Cezanne? Gauguin? (Maybe they just squeezed into the C20th)? Is it more about a painterly style or technique than about a particular work? Maybe pointillism or such?

Aside: Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in blue" was supposedly influenced by cubist painting, hence the line "we just saw things from a different point/ of view".
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 698
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they both pioneers in their field? Possibly Considered crazy/eccentric/out of style by contemporaries? Possibly but unlikely -- anyway irrelevant to both
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! This puzzle has taste ... Good or bad, remains to be determined

Okies, we have to connect Jacques Brel with a post-impressionist. A really, really famous one? Cezanne? Gauguin? This one (Maybe they just squeezed into the C20th Died in 1903...)? Is it more about a painterly style or technique than about a particular work? Maybe pointillism or such? Less to do with their work, more with their life

Aside: Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in blue" was supposedly influenced by cubist painting, hence the line "we just saw things from a different point/ of view". Or from a different corner =)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gauguin has recently been accused of various insalubrious dodginesses with Tahitian girls by the revisionist thought police (aka academics in pursuit of research grants). Anything to do with this?

Not sure if Brel got up to any such stuff?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gauguin has recently been accused of various insalubrious dodginesses with Tahitian girls by the revisionist thought police (aka academics in pursuit of research grants). Anything to do with this? No, girls are not important in this puzzle

Not sure if Brel got up to any such stuff? I haven't heard of anything like this, but it's irrelevant
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No girls, but what about Tahiti? Did Brel visit Tahiti? Without knowing that Gauguin had lived there? Did they both use Tahiti as an inspiration? (I guess I don't know enough Brel songs.)
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No girls, but what about Tahiti? Did Brel visit Tahiti? Tahiti I don't know, but they both visited the region and this is very much OTRT Without knowing that Gauguin had lived there? He migh have known this fact Did they both use Tahiti as an inspiration? Gauguin for sure, I am not sure about Brel (I guess I don't know enough Brel songs.)

We are approaching a $poiler, I'd say
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap, before going to sleep:

Great minds think alike. We have established that the two minds are the French painter Paul Gauguin and the Belgian singer and songwriter Jacques Brel. Their life is more relevant than their work. Tahiti is not the answer but OTRT

Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's a geographical connection? They both visited the South Pacific and spent time there, but there's something more specific? Was it that they both sought inspiration from long-distance travel, etc? Is it relevant that they were both French speakers? Is the French language relevant at all? Any wordplays?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it's a geographical connection? Indeed They both visited the South Pacific and spent time there, but there's something more specific? Yes, a little more Was it that they both sought inspiration from long-distance travel, etc? Their inspiration does not concern us Is it relevant that they were both French speakers? NoIs the French language relevant at all? Not in this puzzle Any wordplays? No

I presented my father -- a German citizen - our buisine-Posaune puzzle. After two days of work, he admitted that was too difficut, so I promised the next will be easier. Here it is.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any specific islands relevant? Did they both die on South Pacific islands? Are they buried there? Do they both have something named after them in the South Pacific? Did they discover some geographical feature independently?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better not show him the one about bears, then. :-)
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any specific islands relevant? Yes Did they both die on South Pacific islands? No, but... Are they buried there? Yes! Do they both have something named after them in the South Pacific? Did they discover some geographical feature independently?

******* SPOILER *******
Both Paul Gauguin and Jacques Brel spent the last part of their life in French Polynesia, away from civilization. Gauguin died in 1903 in Atuona. Brel died in 1978 in a Paris hospital. Both are buried, a few feet away one from the other, in the Calvary Cemetery, Atuona on the island of Hiva Oa in the Marquesas Islands.

The title was a reference to one of Brel's songs, "Le Diable".

Thanks to all who participated and especially to Woodworm who swiftly arrived at the solution

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: