[woubit] Works for marzipan and sponge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [woubit] Works for marzipan and sponge « Previous Next »

Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Battenberg Concertos
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something to do with cake? The British royal family?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 705
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something related to Bulgaria?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6801
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A cakewalk?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Malcolm Williamson's saccharine piece in memory of Lord Mountbatten?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple more random guesses:

anything to do with comical wrong answers to quiz questions?

or, perhaps, unsuccessful job applications?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something to do with cake? vaguely The British royal family? not even vaguely

Something related to Bulgaria? no

A cakewalk? no

How about Malcolm Williamson's saccharine piece in memory of Lord Mountbatten? no, but a fine piece of thinking
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the anatomy of a battenburg cake relevant? the fact that it's got two colours? is in quadrants? covered in something? specifically marzipan?

origins of the cake relevant? where it's made? how it's made? relevant who eats them? relevant that you can now buy mini battenburg cakes?

anu other kind of cake relevant?

music relevant? specifically concertos?

a particular instrument relevant? a composer? an orchestra?

is this a historical puzzle? does it relate to a news item? a world event? a particular person?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any specific people relevant? One, two, three, more?

Location or time period relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the anatomy of a battenburg cake relevant? the fact that it's got two colours? is in quadrants? covered in something? specifically marzipan? nothing about a Battenberg cake is relevant other than that it is a cake - and not even that is specifically relevant; it could as well be a loaf of bread, as long as it was a Battenberg loaf of bread

origins of the cake relevant? where it's made? how it's made? relevant who eats them? relevant that you can now buy mini battenburg cakes? see above. One small point, though, in my capacity as CEO of woubits inc, pedants to the gentry: the Battenberg family changed their name to Mountbatten because "Berg" is the German word for "mountain"; had they been called Battenburg, they would have had to change their name to Castlebatten or Battencastle, and that would have sounded rather stupid.

any other kind of cake relevant? see above

music relevant? specifically concertos? one particular set of concertos is relevant, yes; I expect you will know which

a particular instrument relevant? no a composer? yes an orchestra? no

is this a historical puzzle? in one respect, yes does it relate to a news item? yesish a world event? not really a particular person? three particular people, in fact

Are any specific people relevant? One, two, three, more? see above

Location or time period relevant? more than one time period is involved in this puzzle: specifically the early 18th century and the early 21st century. Two specific locations are involved in this puzzle: specifically the town of Köthen in what is now Germany and the state of California in what is now the United States of America
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 727
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, hurrah, California is involved! :D

now, in what capacity is California involved...I fear, woubit, master of puzzles which are most awesome, I am out of my depth here.

Is Köthen involved in the 18th century bit, and California in the 21st century bit of the puzzle? The other way around? (Of course, California wasn't strictly California yet in the 17th century, so I'm banking on it being the first one)

I have never heard of a Battenberg cake, and so I was going along the "Mountbatten" - "Mountbatten-Windsor" - "Windsor" - British royal family track as well; disappointing to have that train derailed. However, Battenberg is, of course, a German name, so does whatever Battenberg's relevance is have to do with ancestors of the Duke of Edinburgh? Perhaps in this Köthen place in Germany?

I admit I do not know what "batten" is in German, or at least I have forgotten, but I do agree that "Battencastle" or "Castlebatten" would be an extremely stupid name. I am glad the name is "Battenberg" and not "Battenburg". (This also reminds me that the Rohirric name for Minas Tirith in Gondor is "Mundburg" which would, I suppose, be "Mountain castle" or something of the like, though Rohirric is represented by Anglo-Saxon, not modern German, which nevertheless share elements, I suppose...all right, sorry for the Tolkien rant. Forgive me, mighty woubit.

I do not know much about concertos, either, so I still feel out of my depth.

Permission to inquire about regions of California specifically? Northern? San Francisco Bay Area? If so: Northern Bay? East Bay? South Bay? Silicon Valley? Central? Sacramento Valley? Napa Valley? Southern? Los Angeles? San Diego? Anaheim? Disneyland? Hollywood? (I am not, as a rule, as well-versed in the southern half of my state's geography, as my travels have been mostly limited to San Francisco and its surrounding environs. I have been to Southern California a handful of times, mostly to visit Disneyland. Apologies to any Southern Californians who may be on LTPF; I am a Bay Area girl.)

Post Number: 728
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

forgive me, woubit; I meant, California wasn't strictly California yet in the 18th century...I was thinking 1700s and wrote 17th century. Of course, the 1600s hold the same. Kindly ignore my error up there, or please fix it and delete this post, if it's possible...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I know nothing of California, Kaylee, but it's probably safe to say that the relevant burgher of Koethen was J.S.Bach?

So we have three people, one of whom was Bach? And to solve the puzzle, we must discover what the Brandenburgs have to do with California, and with baking?

Are we looking for a conductor? An arranger? A musicologist? Random guess: anything to do with Joshua Rifkin? (He outraged Bach purists in the 70s by performing works one-to-a-part, and thus put legions of warbling sopranos out of a job.)

Are all six Brandenburgs relevant? Or is one particularly relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6802
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For California, is the Governator relevant?

I do feel a bit out of place, with such terse posts after quite elaborate ones. Then again, Woodworm and Kaylee have gone far beyond anything that might have popped into my mind.

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, you call him that too, do you, Balin? The Governator, I mean. :D We're soon to be rid of him, I hear, though elections are going over my head...I really do not know who to vote for! *huggles Balin for feeling out of place* Awwwww. You solve lots of my puzzles, though! Maybe you'll solve this one too.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, we cross-posted, so you may have missed my questions from 12:46, both of which are very probably wrong anyway.
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Köthen involved in the 18th century bit, yes and California in the 21st century bit yes of the puzzle? The other way around? no (Of course, California wasn't strictly California yet in the 17th century, so I'm banking on it being the first one) "California" is in fact one of the oldest "European" - that is, non-native-American - place names in the United States; it was first applied to what is now the Baja California peninsula in 1533 by Cortes, who initially thought it was an island. Despite the fact that he soon discovered it was not, maps showing the "Island of California" persisted until well into the 18th century, so that if Johann Sebastian Bach had heard of California (which is possible but unlikely), he would have believed it to be an island. This has nothing to do with the puzzle; I mention it only for whatever small interest it may afford.

I have never heard of a Battenberg cake, and so I was going along the "Mountbatten" - "Mountbatten-Windsor" - "Windsor" - British royal family track as well; disappointing to have that train derailed. However, Battenberg is, of course, a German name, so does whatever Battenberg's relevance is have to do with ancestors of the Duke of Edinburgh? no Perhaps in this Köthen place in Germany? not even there

Permission to inquire about regions of California specifically? Northern? San Francisco Bay Area? If so: Northern Bay? East Bay? South Bay? Silicon Valley? Central? Sacramento Valley? Napa Valley? Southern? Los Angeles? San Diego? Anaheim? Disneyland? Hollywood? (I am not, as a rule, as well-versed in the southern half of my state's geography, as my travels have been mostly limited to San Francisco and its surrounding environs. I have been to Southern California a handful of times, mostly to visit Disneyland. Apologies to any Southern Californians who may be on LTPF; I am a Bay Area girl.) no particular part of California is specifically relevant to this puzzle

Well, I know nothing of California, Kaylee, but it's probably safe to say that the relevant burgher of Koethen was J.S.Bach? indeed he was

So we have three people, one of whom was Bach? quite so And to solve the puzzle, we must discover what the Brandenburgs have to do with California, and with baking? well, not quite so - you need to understand why it is that anyone would refer to the "Battenberg Concertos", and the reason for this is to be found in California. The Brandenburg Concertos themselves have nothing to do with California, nor with baking.

Are we looking for a conductor? An arranger? A musicologist? for none of the above Random guess: anything to do with Joshua Rifkin? (He outraged Bach purists in the 70s by performing works one-to-a-part, and thus put legions of warbling sopranos out of a job.)

Are all six Brandenburgs relevant? yes Or is one particularly relevant? no

For California, is the Governator relevant? peripherally
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies for missing these:

A couple more random guesses:

anything to do with comical wrong answers to quiz questions? no

or, perhaps, unsuccessful job applications? no

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, of course, I learned that bit about Baja California & Cortes in school, forgot it, and now look silly. Thank you, woubit, for correcting me. *is still pondering puzzle* Is it too early for a recap of what we know?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liz, mr woubit is full of .. . I would say that at the moment we know nothing and hope for mr woubit to give a hint...
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***** RECAP *****

You know that there exists a reference to "the Battenberg Concertos" which do not themselves exist - a "Battenberg" in the context of this puzzle is a cake, and not a member of the British Royal Family.

This reference was prompted by the Brandenburg Concertos, which do exist and were written by Johann Sebastian Bach chiefly during his time as Kapellmeister in the town of Köthen (they were first performed in 1721).

The deformation of "Brandenburg" into "Battenberg" was prompted by events currently taking place in the state of California (which also exists, as I can attest having returned from it roughly a week ago). Two relevant people are principally involved in these events; neither of them is Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California, although he is peripherally relevant as are all inhabitants of the Golden State.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually it sounds like a work by PDQ Bach, aka Peter Schickele, whose rubbish we had to sing at college. But I suppose he would be classed as an arranger/musicologist of sorts, so I take it we can rule him out?

Did a Californian person refer to the 'Battenberg Concertos' as a joke? Out of ignorance? Did someone commission six Battenberg concertos? Are there any other wordplays going on?

Would it matter (for the purposes of the puzzle) if a battenberg cake were log-shaped rather than square?

Would it matter, for the sake of the Californian connection, if the Brandenburg Concertos had been written by, say, Gershwin?

Is there a place called Battenberg, CA? Does it feature a Battenberg Gate?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually it sounds like a work by PDQ Bach, aka Peter Schickele, whose rubbish we had to sing at college. But I suppose he would be classed as an arranger/musicologist of sorts, so I take it we can rule him out? no other musicians, living or dead (if you want to be classical, you have to stop composing and start decomposing) are relevant to this puzzle

Did a Californian person no refer to the 'Battenberg Concertos' as a joke? yes Out of ignorance? I hope not, since it was me Did someone commission six Battenberg concertos? no Are there any other wordplays going on? only the obvious one

Would it matter (for the purposes of the puzzle) if a battenberg cake were log-shaped rather than square? no

Would it matter, for the sake of the Californian connection, if the Brandenburg Concertos had been written by, say, Gershwin? yes

Is there a place called Battenberg, CA? not that I know of, but Kaylee may know more Does it feature a Battenberg Gate? see above
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These events in California: are they political? Artistic? Sporting? Cake-related? Anything to do with weddings? Gay weddings, maybe? Someone wanted a pink cake for a civil partnership, and wanted to walk down the aisle to BWV 1046 (and why not)?

Or perhaps Larry David is recording a new series?

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as far as I know, there is no Battenberg, CA, nor even Battenburg or Brandenberg/burg. I may, of course, be wrong; California is an extremely large state and, as I said, most of my explorations have been in the San Francisco Bay Area. I can say with a fair amount of certainty there is no Battenberg etc. in this region at least.
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These events in California: are they political? to a great extent, yes Artistic? no Sporting? no Cake-related? no Anything to do with weddings? no Gay weddings, maybe? Someone wanted a pink cake for a civil partnership, and wanted to walk down the aisle to BWV 1046 (and why not)? why not indeed?

Or perhaps Larry David is recording a new series? if he is, I know nothing about it

as far as I know, there is no Battenberg, CA the All-Seeing Eye that is Google Earth identifies four places named Battenberg, none of which is in California (nor yet the United States)

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have these political events anything to do with the elections for governor and other state politics? (these have been reduced to a lot of mud-slinging if you ask me...I do not know what to think of either Meg Whitman or Jerry Brown, or any other candidates for other positions, and at this point I do not care, I just wish to give up and move to England.)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have these political events anything to do with the elections for governor and other state politics? no - this issue is somewhat more global in nature (these have been reduced to a lot of mud-slinging if you ask me...I do not know what to think of either Meg Whitman or Jerry Brown, or any other candidates for other positions, and at this point I do not care, I just wish to give up and move to England.) in England, it is true that we do not engage in what is called "negative campaigning" - we do not need to, for anyone who wants to know how useless and corrupt our politicians are has only to read the newspapers. However, I should point out that in San Francisco, howling winds and impenetrable fog are confined for the most part to the waters surrounding the Golden Gate Bridge; here, they are what we walk through to work every day because the Metro is invariably either broken or on strike.

Post Number: 735
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

However, I should point out that in San Francisco, howling winds and impenetrable fog are confined for the most part to the waters surrounding the Golden Gate Bridge; here, they are what we walk through to work every day because the Metro is invariably either broken or on strike. Touche, Woubit. However, I live about an hour out of San Francisco, so I don't have to deal with such winds or fog often unless I go into the city itself. *grin* And I would still move if I could. :D
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to know what you were up to in California? A conference, perhaps, on some global issue?

The two relevant people (apart from JSB, of course): are they politicians? Scientists? Lawyers?

Does this have to do with environmental politics? Human rights? Law and order? Could this scenario conceivably have happened in London? Paris? Pyongyang?

Were you in California when you made the quip? Could the puzzle situation still apply if neither relevant person had heard of Bach? Or the six concertos? Or the nasty pink cake?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to know what you were up to in California? no A conference, perhaps, on some global issue? I was on holiday, but this is not relevant

The two relevant people (apart from JSB, of course): are they politicians? Scientists? Lawyers? none of the above

Does this have to do with environmental politics? yes Human rights? not really, although I suppose one could argue that environmental politics is to some extent about human rights Law and order? no Could this scenario conceivably have happened in London? Paris? Pyongyang? in all of those, in descending order of likelihood - starting with not very likely in London

Were you in California when you made the quip? yes Could the puzzle situation still apply if neither relevant person had heard of Bach? Or the six concertos? Or the nasty pink cake? all of those - the joke was a poor thing but mine own, and whether or not anyone directly involved had heard of Bach or indeed of cake would not matter, except of course that they would then have led miserable lives for which I should be sorry
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another random one: the two other relevant people, by the way, are not Goedel and Escher, are they?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to know what you were up to in California? no A conference, perhaps, on some global issue? I was on holiday, but this is not relevant

The two relevant people (apart from JSB, of course): are they politicians? Scientists? Lawyers? none of the above

Does this have to do with environmental politics? yes Human rights? not really, although I suppose one could argue that environmental politics is to some extent about human rights Law and order? no Could this scenario conceivably have happened in London? Paris? Pyongyang? in all of those, in descending order of likelihood - starting with "not very likely" in London

Were you in California when you made the quip? yes Could the puzzle situation still apply if neither relevant person had heard of Bach? Or the six concertos? Or the nasty pink cake? all of those - the joke was a poor thing but mine own, and whether or not anyone directly involved had heard of Bach or indeed of cake would not matter, except of course that if not they would have led miserable lives, for which I should be sorry
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another random one: the two other relevant people, by the way, are not Goedel and Escher, are they? they are not, and to save further questions along the usual lines, they are two real living human adult males currently resident in different states of the Union (neither of which is California)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these two men environmental activists? Businessmen? Satirists? Entertainers of a sort?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these two men environmental activists? I suppose you could call them that, but this would be seriously misleading, for they are primarily... Businessmen? ...this one Satirists? Entertainers of a sort?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6811
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two men are residing in states...so neither is in Washington DC, correct? Is either one a politician? An athlete? A minister? Or other religious leader?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6812
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget what I just said - the horrible irony of crossposting.

Are they in the same business? For the same company?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the BP oil catastrophe?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two men are residing in states...so neither is in Washington DC, correct? very good, young Balin - I confess that if either of them had been a resident of the District of Columbia, I might have missed the point. Happily, neither of them is - and to forestall appeals to the LTPF List of the United States, one of them lives in New York and the other in Kansas. Is either one a politician? An athlete? A minister? Or other religious leader? neither of them is any of those - they are businessmen pure and simple (or if you wish, since businessmen are in general neither of those, businessmen corrupt and complex)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they in the same business? yes For the same company? yes

Anything to do with the BP oil catastrophe? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6819
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their business related to food? Medicine? Computers? Film?

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cake?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is their business related to food? Medicine? Computers? Film? Cake? there is, I suppose, a sense in which their business may be said to be related to all of these. However, they are not in the food nor medical nor computer nor film business, nor do they make cake.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6831
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advertising?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advertising? no - that makes the wheels go round only metaphorically. These men are in the business that makes the wheels go round literally. Kaylee, unless she lives not only an hour from San Francisco but also underground, will now know who they are, so we may make progress...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6834
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So transportation? Cable cars? Buses? Airplanes? Taxis? Car salesmen? Truck drivers?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So transportation? no Cable cars? Buses? Airplanes? Taxis? Car salesmen? Truck drivers? all of those, and more besides...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6836
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mob bosses?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mob bosses? no - these are entirely legitimate businessmen. What substance is it without which cable cars, buses, airplanes, taxis, cars and trucks would be wholly unable to function?

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BART? VTA?

(Bay Area Rapid Transit? Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority?)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6838
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Electricity? Gasoline? Oil?

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

whoops, didn't see woubit's post...gasoline? those who regulate road conditions? (who may be VTA...I am not *entirely* clear on what they do. They do see to tolls on toll bridges, at any rate...)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BART? VTA? both of those, and more besides...

Electricity? Gasoline? Oil? not electricity, and not specifically gasoline (cable cars, after all, do not need that). But these are oilmen - two of the more notorious oilmen in very recent Californian history, about whom the Governor had some very harsh things to say (and quite right too)

whoops, didn't see woubit's post...gasoline? those who regulate road conditions? (who may be VTA...I am not *entirely* clear on what they do. They do see to tolls on toll bridges, at any rate...) see above
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6845
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about John D. Rockefeller, then?

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm, I am not sure who these oilmen are (mostly because I do not drive, and I do not keep up with the news all that well.) I shall wait and see what happens...neither of them are named Battenberg or have anything to do with cake, then? (just checking)
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about John D. Rockefeller, then? no. John D. Rockefeller died in 1937. These men are living yet.

hmm, I am not sure who these oilmen are (mostly because I do not drive, and I do not keep up with the news all that well.) I shall wait and see what happens...neither of them are named Battenberg or have anything to do with cake, then? (just checking) neither of them is named Battenberg, nor has either of them much to do with cake. Nor is either of them named Cake, although...

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*eyes carefully worded response* They don't have MUCH to do with cake? Have they got ANYTHING to do with cake, then? Or pastry? Or any baked good of any sort?

And neither of them are NAMED Cake...but perhaps something similar? If so, {show from LTPF list of baked goods, please}?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They don't have MUCH to do with cake? Have they got ANYTHING to do with cake, then? Or pastry? Or any baked good of any sort? nothing except insofar as without oil, baking on an industrial scale would not be possible

And neither of them are NAMED Cake...but perhaps something similar? for svv of "similar" and for svv of "named", perhaps If so, {show from LTPF list of baked goods, please}? their names would not appear on any list of baked goods
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6862
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is either man a Rockefeller?

Can't...resist...

"DO IT, ROCKAPELLA!!"
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is either man a Rockefeller? no

"DO IT, ROCKAPELLA!!" Old Bach would have approved

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*pokes Balin* Now I have to go watch Carmen Sandiego videos on YouTube...look what you've done...No, really, look. Rockapella and Carmen Sandiego
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6865
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the specific nature of their corruption relevant? Were they partners in crime?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the specific nature of their corruption relevant? Were they partners in crime? apologies - you may be reading too much into earlier remarks on the nature of businessmen. These men are emphatically not criminals, and no crime at all is involved in the puzzle. As a clue, they are not so much partners in crime as brothers in arms...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6867
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they monopolize the oil industry? In California? In the US? In their home states?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they monopolize the oil industry? In California? In the US? In their home states? none of the above, but if you research the current leading oil magnates in the United States, you are sure to come across their names.

No, really, look. Rockapella and Carmen Sandiego oh, Bach used to knock off half a dozen songs like that before breakfast - just the kind of thing he specialized in. After breakfast, he wrote stuff like this.

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assume one could eat cake while listening to this? It's rather pleasant, at least. Not quite as bouncy as Rockapella, though...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6873
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've learned more about Bach just from this puzzle than from all my music classes sombined.

Did they raise the prices?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they raise the prices? it is in the nature of business to raise the price of the product you sell to the extent that the market will bear (and possibly, in the case of oil, to an extent beyond which the market would bear if left to its own devices, but...)

It does not really matter what these men did in the normal course of their careers as oil barons. What matters is their surnames (both of which, to give you further assistance, are the same for they are brothers). Once you have that, you can proceed to a solution of the puzzle itself.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6879
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this be the Koch brothers? Is it pronounced "cook"?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this be the Koch brothers? indeed it would - well done Is it pronounced "cook"? whereas "Koch" is the German word for "cook", the word is not thus mispronounced - at least, not within the context of this puzzle. Instead...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6882
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do I have to go through all the pronunciations again? I just got done with one of those puzzles...

Is it "Kotch"? "Coke"? "Koch" (with the Bach-like "ch")? Something else?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it "Kotch"? that was the Governator's version "Coke"? that is, apparently, the brothers' own version, and I suppose a man may pronounce his own name as he likes, especially if he has got several billion dollars "Koch" (with the Bach-like "ch")? that is how I would pronounce it - indeed, I could not imagine any other pronunciation before I visited California Something else? no - I think you have exhausted all the relevant possibilities
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6887
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any one of those pronunciations more relevant than the others? If so, which? Or are they all equally relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any one of those pronunciations more relevant than the others? yes If so, which? Coke Or are they all equally relevant? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6890
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be prudent to the puzzle if I were to ask if Coca-Cola were relevant? If cocaine were relevant? Are either of them relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be prudent to the puzzle if I were to ask if Coca-Cola were relevant? depends on your definition of "prudent", I suppose If cocaine were relevant? see above Are either of them relevant? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6895
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that Ahnold mispronounced it? Did the Koch bros get mad at him for doing so?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant that Ahnold mispronounced it? no Did the Koch bros get mad at him for doing so? they might have done - I cannot tell, but you seem to have lost sight of the original puzzle, for which all the information you require is now in your hands and which no further questioning will assist you to solve.

That is: why should the fact that there are two brothers whose name is spelled "Koch" but pronounced "Coke" give rise to a joking reference to the "Battenberg Concertos"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6899
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as they don't change their names to "Coke-is-it", my mind may stay sane.

Would the reference be involving the Brandenburg Concertos? To the lively atmosphere of them (or at least, the one you posted the link to)?
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the reference be involving the Brandenburg Concertos? yes To the lively atmosphere of them (or at least, the one you posted the link to)? no - just to the composer of them...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6900
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bach is not pronounced "Bake"? Is that the joke?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6901
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And thinking about it, for Bach to Bake a Cake with Coke, you might have to Cook up something strong, or you could Kotch a fever, and get Koch'd out.

(That last one didn't come out perfectly - it's meant to pun on "conked" out.)
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2010 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oy, not me again????????
Woubit (Woubit)

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry - thought I'd finished with this.

***** SPOILER *****

Visiting San Francisco a few weeks ago, I heard on the news about the dastardly deeds of a pair of brothers whose names were given as Coke.

These Cokes, it appeared, had contributed a million dollars to a campaign in support of Proposition 23, a legal measure intended to postpone implementation of California's laws designed to reduce climate change. Apart from registering that these Cokes were obviously either oil barons or idiots or very probably both, I thought no more of the matter until a subtitle revealed that "Coke" was in fact spelled "Koch".

Attributing this initially to ignorance on the part of the newsreader, I was staggered to discover later that "Coke" was how these bandits themselves pronounced their surname. I continued to watch the broadcast, because the Governor of California was due to speak, and I was intrigued to learn whether he would so far renounce his Teutonic heritage as to utter the barbarous "Coke" for a word that he knew was not so pronounced.

He couldn't quite bring himself to do it - instead, he called them "Kotch". He called them a lot of other things as well, but those were in the Governor's special brand of English and I did not expect them to be correctly pronounced.

I, meanwhile, wondered aloud whether the brothers Coke had ever heard of the great composer Johann Sebastian Bake, from which it was a short step to the Battenberg Concertos.

Well done Balin, less well done the Cokes.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: