[gregoryuconn] House of the Rising Su... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [gregoryuconn] House of the Rising Sun (multi-tiered idiomuzzle) « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since everyone else is trying one, I figured I would as well (and as a hint, the title could also be seen as a multi-tiered idiomuzzle of sorts (although solving it is not necessary for the puzzle, nor will it necessarily help you with the solution.) The goal is to go from red to orange to green. Note that below "alpaca" and "cheese" are separate concepts, but "beautiful evening" is one concept as is "ringing bell".

alpaca cheese saved the beautiful evening from the ringing bell.

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

goat milk?

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

goat milk? no, though "milk" is OTRT
La_sparky (La_sparky)
Username: La_sparky

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alpaca=llama? material?
cheese=milk? dairy? what you say when you get your picture taken?

ringing bell=alarm? school bell? fire drill? tornado drill?

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alpaca=llama? this material?
cheese=milk? dairy? Milk and dairy are involved, but that's not the next step by itself what you say when you get your picture taken?

ringing bell=alarm? school bell? this, but once again, not the next step by itself fire drill? tornado drill?

So we have

llama milk saved the beautiful evening from the ringing bell

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cream? butter? yak butter? hmm, on that note, the chimes used in Tibetan monasteries? prayer chimes?

*played Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time too much*
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I just check that the 'saved the' and 'from the' are not part of the idiom (as there seem to be two different styles)?

Beautiful evening = sunset? (Whence ... boulevard? strip? Waterloo?)

Ringing bell = peal? toll? dong? ding? ding-dong? (whence ... fight, battle or similar?)

His Holiness the Dalai Lama? Llama farmer? The Llama song?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I've had too much caffeine ... I'm now thinking of Napoleon (Dynamite) for the llama and off to the Battle of Waterloo. Maybe I'm away with the pixies.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7141
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Llama - Emperor's New Groove relevant?

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cream? butter? yak butter? hmm, on that note, the chimes used in Tibetan monasteries? prayer chimes? no to these, although it's funny you should mention Tibetian monasteries....

*played Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time too much*

I think I've had too much caffeine ... I'm now thinking of Napoleon (Dynamite) for the llama and off to the Battle of Waterloo. Maybe I'm away with the pixies No... And besides, there's only one more step after Llama.

Llama - Emperor's New Groove relevant not in the slightest.

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction: Cream and butter could be considered as close as milk was, but not yak butter.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7158
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You missed Woodworm's questions above....

Milk - cheese? Cow?

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I just check that the 'saved the' and 'from the' are not part of the idiom (as there seem to be two different styles)? yes. only the colored text is part of the puzzle. It's just that when there were two consecutive words in the puzzle, sometimes it's a phrase, and sometimes it's two individual words. Sorry

Beautiful evening = sunset? (Whence ... boulevard? strip? Waterloo?) no

Ringing bell = peal? toll? dong? ding? ding-dong? (whence ... fight, battle or similar?) Sound of the bell doesn't matter. It's a school bell, therefore ...

His Holiness the Dalai Lama? Phonetically "Dalai", which is what matters. You can try to find the phonetically equivalent word, or you can find the other words, at which point it will be obvious. Llama farmer? The Llama song?

Here's what we have:
Dalai cheese saved the beautiful evening from the ringing bell

Dalai is meant to be read phonetically rather than as that word itself, and you know the ringing bell is a school bell, now be more specific.

Milk - cheese? Cow? Dairy is relevant. You are not looking for a specific kind of dairy product though.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7163
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dalai: pronounced "Dal-I"? "Daily"?

Are we looking for a type of cheese? Something that is eaten with cheese? A phrase including "cheese"? Or "cheese" as in "what people say when they get their picture taken"? Maybe fans of the Green Bay Packers - "cheeseheads"?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lunch(time)? recess? last period? (for the bell, in case you're wondering)

Cheese/milk--maybe "whey" (which is then meant to be interpreted as "way"?

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dalai = Dolly?

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dalai: pronounced "Dal-I"? "Daily"? Dal-ee

Are we looking for a type of cheese? Something that is eaten with cheese? A phrase including "cheese"? none of these Or "cheese" as in "what people say when they get their picture taken"? Maybe fans of the Green Bay Packers - "cheeseheads"? But these are further off. Cheese is relevant as a dairy product, but you are not looking for a kind of cheese or a kind of dairy product.

Lunch(time)? recess? last period? this is closest. It may be correct, depending on what you mean by "last period". (for the bell, in case you're wondering)

Cheese/milk--maybe "whey" (which is then meant to be interpreted as "way"? no

Dalai = Dolly? Yes!
So it's

Dolly cheese saved the beautiful evening from the ringing bell.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7168
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese -> dairy product -> maid?

School bell - end of the day? Assembly? Tardy?

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese -> dairy product -> maid? No. It is not cheese -> dairy product. The next word is connected to cheese as a result of dairy, but is not actually a dairy term.

School bell - end of the day? a synonym for this Assembly? Tardy?
Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese = sheep by chance? Giving "Dolly sheep", the cloned animal?

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese = sheep by chance? No Giving "Dolly sheep", the cloned animal? good thought.

Since people seem to be struggling on the cheese, I'll give you a hint:
Where is the cheese made?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a farm?

School bell - dismissal? Freedom?

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a farm? Specifically where is that farm?

School bell - dismissal? this one Freedom?

Oh, and after looking at other idiomuzzles I think I need to make something clear: The end phrase is not an idiom, just a regular, factual, statement. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Anyway, we now have

Dolly cheese saved the beuatiful evening from the dismissal.

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

California? (Happy cows come from California. Real California cheese. It's THE Cheese. :-D)

Wisconsin? (Evidently they stole our cows.)

Cheshire? (Tried Cheshire cheese when I was in England with my cousins. :-) Almost as good as California cheese.)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dismissal: catch? sack?

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

California? (Happy cows come from California. Real California cheese. It's THE Cheese. :-D)

Wisconsin? (Evidently they stole our cows.) Ding ding ding! We have a winner baby.

Cheshire? (Tried Cheshire cheese when I was in England with my cousins. :-) Almost as good as California cheese.)

Dismissal: catch? sack? No.... Is that some UK terms or something? I'm not following....

So we have

Dolly Wisconsin saved the Beautiful Evening from the dismissal

Post Number: 923
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dolly Madison (as in Madison, Wisconsin,) Dolly Madison being James Madison (4th US President)'s wife
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7214
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dismissal -> fire? Evacuation?

Thinking of an occurrence during the War of 1812 here...is this it?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2246
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we have some classic Anglo-American confusions on this puzzle! Dismissal from employment is called the 'sack', while a dismissal in cricket might be a 'catch', and I thought baseball might be similar. But it probably isn't. And never in a million years would a Brit pronounce Dalai as Dolly! Most Brits wouldn't know about Wisconsin cheese either. But hey, I'm learning ...

Now then, Dolly Madison is a brand of cakes. Is the answer one of their slogans?

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope they at least know about California cheese! Although they most likely prefer Cheshire cheese...

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dolly Madison (as in Madison, Wisconsin,) Dolly Madison being James Madison (4th US President)'s wife? yes!
Dismissal -> fire? bingo! Evacuation?

Thinking of an occurrence during the War of 1812 here...is this it? yes.... now either stop or figure out how we get to that point.

Now then, Dolly Madison is a brand of cakes. Is the answer one of their slogans? No

We have
Dolly Madison saved the beautiful evening from the fire.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7279
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening - pretty picture? Scene? View? Vista?

Trying to figure out how to get to what the green is....

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening - pretty picture? Scene? View? Vista? None of these.

Trying to figure out how to get to what the green is.. the green is complete. You don't need to go any further.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7335
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beautiful evening" - Is it a specific evening we're looking for? A historical event?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening = goodnight?

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Beautiful evening" - Is it a specific evening we're looking for? A historical event? None of these, and possible FA on your part

Beautiful evening = goodnight? no
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening = sunset?

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening = sunset? no
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening = starry night?
Starry Night = painting?

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful evening = starry night?
Starry Night = painting? Bingo! Winner winner chicken dinner! If you eat it you won't get thinner!

*****SPOILER***
It is indeed
Dolly Madison saved the picture from the fire

Which is a reference to when she saved the George Washington picture from the White House fire in the War of 1812. I will not explain the lateral significance of the title, as it is laterally relevant to a new puzzle I am making.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: